• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Intermittent Fasting OT

Oct 27, 2017
Not calories as such, but keeping an eye on your macros most definitely is if you're trying to actually be healthy rather than just light.

I'd hate to think what would happen to most people's bodies if they had one massive meal full of carbs with very little fats and protein.
Yeah of course you should definitely have a varied diet, especially if you're doing IF, but again that's very different from calorie counting.

Oct 27, 2017
Finished 24 hour fast earlier. Just had my meal and with it I allowed myself a 12oz bottle of root beer & 2 single serving chip bags. Still right at my goal for intake which is awesome. It feels good to do these small indulgences with a meal that would normally turn into a binge before if I had say a whole family size bag of chips or a 12 case or 2 liter of pop. Now to start a 16 hour fast I do 16:8 most of the time and do a 24 every few days. It's working well for me.

Oct 25, 2017
Alright, last time I tried an extended fast, I went 4 days before social obligations brought me out of it. That was about 4 months ago or so, and I'm ready to give it another shot. Starting today, I'm aiming for 5 days, but if everything still feels alright by Friday, I may go longer (longest I can do is probably 10 days since I'll have Memorial Day Weekend things and will want to break the fast a few days early to be safe).

Nov 7, 2017
Alright, last time I tried an extended fast, I went 4 days before social obligations brought me out of it. That was about 4 months ago or so, and I'm ready to give it another shot. Starting today, I'm aiming for 5 days, but if everything still feels alright by Friday, I may go longer (longest I can do is probably 10 days since I'll have Memorial Day Weekend things and will want to break the fast a few days early to be safe).
I did a 40 hour dry fast followed by another 24 hours drinking last week. I didn't do it for weight loss reasons but primarily for treating onset of rheumatoid arthritis recently. I went down 6-7 Lbs. Currently doing another dry fast following by water only [probably 3 days total] for dealing with some lower back and sciatic nerve pain. Pain is probably about 80% gone. I'm definitely less hungry when dry fasting.

Oct 25, 2017
I did a 40 hour dry fast followed by another 24 hours drinking last week. I didn't do it for weight loss reasons but primarily for treating onset of rheumatoid arthritis recently. I went down 6-7 Lbs. Currently doing another dry fast following by water only [probably 3 days total] for dealing with some lower back and sciatic nerve pain. Pain is probably about 80% gone. I'm definitely less hungry when dry fasting.
Wow, that's a fascinating treatment strategy. Just read an article on it.

Oct 27, 2017
Currently 16 hours into what was going to just be 16:8 but I think I am going to try and push it to 48 as I've already done just shy of 24 hours not too long ago. I just feel so much more relaxed since starting this and less inflamed overall.

Oct 27, 2017
Done 3 days in a row of OMAD, basically eating at the 24h mark. It gets easier and easier to do. I didn't really set out to do OMAD on purpose, its just that I hit the 16 hour mark and I'm still not hungry at all.

I get full with so little food, that I worry I'm not consuming enough calories haha. At least I am making sure to eat healthy foods with greens, fats, proteins, and even some carbs.

Oct 25, 2017
Done 3 days in a row of OMAD, basically eating at the 24h mark. It gets easier and easier to do. I didn't really set out to do OMAD on purpose, its just that I hit the 16 hour mark and I'm still not hungry at all.

I get full with so little food, that I worry I'm not consuming enough calories haha. At least I am making sure to eat healthy foods with greens, fats, proteins, and even some carbs.
Track your calories. I felt frustrated at not losing weight and when I actually track & observe my calories, it magically starts to come off. It's pretty easy to overeat, especially if you are just eyeballing hard to measure stuff. There is such a thing as eating too little, to the point where your body will harshly correct to stop your attempt to rob it of glorious survival fat.

FliXFantatier

Master of the Reality Stone
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
So I decided to skip lunch today and fast for two days straight. When I told my wife her eyes rolled to the back of her head, she thinks I am being extreme. I told her occasionally extending the fasting window is perfectly normal. Any good resource I can point her to to prove my point? 😝

Oct 25, 2017
So I decided to skip lunch today and fast for two days straight. When I told my wife her eyes rolled to the back of her head, she thinks I am being extreme. I told her occasionally extending the fasting window is perfectly normal. Any good resource I can point her to to prove my point? 😝
Nature? Common sense?

Why would we suffer ill effects or drop dead after a few days of not eating? Not a very good survival adaptation.

It's not really a coincidence that rates of obesity skyrocketed when meal timing shifted in the middle of the 20th century.

Oct 30, 2017
Normal, but largely pointless. There's very little science behind it having any measurable advantage over daily fasting.

Quite a bit of science behind it harming your progress if you're doing weights / athletic training though.

FliXFantatier

Master of the Reality Stone
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles
Normal, but largely pointless. There's very little science behind it having any measurable advantage over daily fasting.

Quite a bit of science behind it harming your progress if you're doing weights / athletic training though.
Interesting. Can you point me towards more details, I'd be interested. As a fair few people around here seem to regularly extend their fast I think it would be an interesting topic.
For the most part on a daily basis I do anything between 16:8 and 18:6.

Oct 25, 2017

I train fasted and I'm still consistently adding weight to the bar after about 8 months. Leangains is a thing.

There's also a laundry list of benefits if you do a true longer fast beyond just 72 hours to the point where it's used in clinical settings to treat all kinds of conditions. Under that amount of time, there's not a huge difference beyond the added calorie restriction.

Interesting. Can you point me towards more details, I'd be interested. As a fair few people around here seem to regularly extend their fast I think it would be an interesting topic.
For the most part on a daily basis I do anything between 16:8 and 18:6.
The body has a potent self-repair mechanism called autophagy that only turns on in the complete absence of calories.

Dr. Fung, a nephrologist, has a good article on it here: https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-fasting-25/

You can watch his videos or read his articles on his website. Fung started as a huge skeptic but ended up a believer after seeing results in his patients. He has some good lectures on YT as well.

Highly recommend this one:

Covers caloric deficits and why most people fail on diets

Oct 30, 2017
I train fasted and I'm still consistently adding weight to the bar after about 8 months. Leangains is a thing.
I'm not talking about fasted daily training (which is shit if you need to spend any significant amount of time at high heart rates for what it's worth). I'm talking about doing multiple days of fasting. Your body doesn't have what it needs to properly rebuild your muscles, so you just end up harming your progress.

Also, I added far more weight when I started lifting after my first meal than when I didn't. That's based on the results of about 5 years of lifting (with two of them done fully fasted).

Doing multiple days might be great if you're not working out. It's really not if you are.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I was wondering if somebody knew what the impact of alcohol was on fasting, specifically vodka and soda water? I'm guessing it breaks the fast, unless there is something different about the calories such a drink contains?

I've been eating (mostly) once a day for the last month with good results, and was curious how a night out on the town factors in. Vodka and soda water is my drink of choice for a number of years when going out to limit overall calorie, sugar, and caffeine intake and keep "water" intake high. But curious how it impacts fasting. Am assuming it turns a 24 hour fast into a 8:16 of sorts.

Jan 5, 2019
Just started IF OMAD so great to see this thread fresh

Last time was on it lost a shit ton of weight
Gained it back + more but that was slowly overtime.

IF definitely worked so doing it again with more will power.

As said great to see this OT

Hoping to read back through posts again to hear your stories

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering if somebody knew what the impact of alcohol was on fasting, specifically vodka and soda water? I'm guessing it breaks the fast, unless there is something different about the calories such a drink contains?

I've been eating (mostly) once a day for the last month with good results, and was curious how a night out on the town factors in. Vodka and soda water is my drink of choice for a number of years when going out to limit overall calorie, sugar, and caffeine intake and keep "water" intake high. But curious how it impacts fasting. Am assuming it turns a 24 hour fast into a 8:16 of sorts.
Anything with calories breaks a fast.