• Introducing Image Options for ResetEra 2.0! Check the left side navigation bar to show or hide images, avatars, covers, and embedded media. More details at the link.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Straight from the horse's mouth: GRRM says we can imprison him if he doesn't finish 'Winds of Winter' by next summer

Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
This dude needs to get Word and stop using programs from the Cold War
He uses WordStar 4.0, I believe. It's still a favourite with many people who write for a living. Unlike technical writing, commercial reports and the like, novel writing is largely a matter of placing one paragraph after another. The fewer bells and whistles a word processor has, the fewer distractions and the lower the chance of an accident.

Oct 30, 2017
I wonder if prison would be less stressful than the crushing weight of years of expectation to deliver a satisfying conclusion to what was the source material of the TV show of the generation. Completed chapters are probably mutating as he digests more GOT finale reactions.

It was as the butler! Not the chambermaid!

Oct 25, 2017
WHY HAS HE NOT LEARNED TO STOP PREDICTING YET

His pace is one thing, but he always makes it a thousand times worse on himself by making promises he can't realistically keep.

Oct 25, 2017
He uses WordStar 4.0, I believe. It's still a favourite with many people who write for a living. Unlike technical writing, commercial reports and the like, novel writing is largely a matter of placing one paragraph after another. The fewer bells and whistles a word processor has, the fewer distractions and the lower the chance of an accident.
Running an ancient machine with ancient software that's likely to crash and doesn't automatically back-up documents seems like an especially bad idea. On top of this, his editor must hate his guts.

Apr 16, 2019
He uses Wordstar on an MS-DOS pc
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmDZAtDVEz3f371kr-jLisw
If I remember correctly, he mentioned in an interview that his agent regularly backs up the work and they convert the file. There is still a plugin you can download from Microsoft to open Wordstar files in a modern version of Microsoft Word, though it is really frustrating to use, and WordPerfect can still import the documents as well.

Oct 26, 2017
In his last post on his blog he said:

"THE WINDS OF WINTER is very late, I know, I know, but it will be done. I won’t say when, I’ve tried that before, only to burn you all and jinx myself… but I will finish it, and then will come A DREAM OF SPRING."

Now he gives us a deadline. One that could potentially burn us and jinx him. And even if it's not really a deadline, he knows his fans are going to rabidly grasp onto it.

He is either confident he is nearing the end or, despite declaring otherwise, hasn't learned his lesson.

I really hope it's the former.

Oct 27, 2017
Sunderland
Running an ancient machine with ancient software that's likely to crash and doesn't automatically back-up documents seems like an especially bad idea. On top of this, his editor must hate his guts.
We can assume he knows how to make backups. He's been working on television scripts for longer than most people in this forum have been alive. My wife is an amateur writer and insists on keeping hard copies of all her work, which I find a little odd but quite sensible.

WordStar format is probably supported for file import by most word processors. In addition a simple document like a novel can be exported as plain text. It's not as if he's including figures, tables or fancy fonts. It's just one word after another with the occasional punctuation or paragraph break.

I don't know how literary editors work nowadays, but marked up paper has worked well for centuries and it's very convenient.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just accepting the show's ending as the official ending at this point.

GRRM can write a cute little fan fiction ending if he wishes, to impress his English Lit & Creative Writing teachers.

Relax, it's a joke.

I think isolation would be good for him. He's clearly too distracted by the show's success and everything surrounding it.

Oct 26, 2017
People are reading way to much into what was obviously a joke...
Yeah, it's a joke, especially (obviously) the part about arresting him, but he has said numerous times in the past that he doesn't joke about the potential release of his books. He knows how his fans can be. They grasp at everything that could possibly be a hint he's nearing the end of writing TWoW. Hell I used to be that way, but I've long learned to temper my expectations until he says it's finished.

That being said, there is no denying he has come off as sounding more confident the end is near as of late, especially since releasing Fire & Blood last year.