Confirmed: You can't play Super Mario Maker 2's online with your friends - limited to randoms only (see threadmark)

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
if the problems are leaderboards, why not do like fighting games and have a casual and ranked lobbies ... and you can only play with friends (be it online or same console) on casual?

Monolithsoft

Nov 1, 2017
Even freaking SPLATOON 2 has several ways to play with a few friends online.

Surprised at the amount of people that care about this. I saw this as a a secondary feature I would probably never use, as I don't have any friends that would ever play Mario Maker levels any way.

Sometimes randoms only is a valid decision. I think it makes perfect sense in Dark Souls. I don't really understand the reasoning here though.
Surprised to see surprised people.
I have friends I like to play with and they leave far away. I wanted the game before seeing this confirmation, now it lost 9/10 of its value basically.
Yeah it's the same game... but I can't enjoy any of it with my friends, only create, let them play alone and vice versa. Pretty unappealing compared to enjoying any level with them and create together.

-Mikey-

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
There has to be a good way to let Nintendo know people want this. I'm not talking about a Change.org petition, but I'd rather tweet or send an e-mail to someone than just be bummed and move on.

SirBaron

Oct 27, 2017
This is why I don't buy any Nintendo games like this. I will buy their single player stuff but anything multiplayer orientated always has a catch when friends are involved. Worst company EVER when it comes to multiplayer.

impact

Oct 26, 2017
Tampa
if the problems are leaderboards, why not do like fighting games and have a casual and ranked lobbies ... and you can only play with friends (be it online or same console) on casual?
Because that makes sense. Look at who/what you're dealing with here. Nintendo is basically my stubborn grandpa refusing to learn Facebook.

Pillock

Dec 29, 2017
This has to be a design decision rather than a technical one. I heard on GB that it was because they didn't want leader boards polluted but as they pointed out... just exclude coop from leader boards.

Joanot

Oct 25, 2017
Are you’re just here to stir up shit or have absolutely no clue about Nintendo games or probably both?

Nintendo updates the heck out of their games nowadays. They do enough baffling shit themselves without having to resort to making stuff up, mate.
Making stuff up ? Nintendo is miles behind other devs regarding the post launch support of their games , including listening to feedback from users and adding requested features.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan
Making stuff up ? Nintendo is miles behind other devs regarding the post launch support of their games , including listening to feedback from users and adding requested features.
Well, you're either making stuff up, or you're terribly misinformed. Nintendo has been pretty consistent overall in continuing to update its games with additional content and QoL features. ARMS received a bunch of updates, including frequently requested additions and fixes that they hadn't originally planned. Splatoon as an IP has been built around the consistent update philosophy. Hell even Mario Tennis Aces is still getting updated even if people aren't paying it much attention. The original Super Mario Maker on the Wii U got a ton of updates including requested course parts and other things I can't recall top of mind. Even Tetris 99, a NSO freebie, is getting new modes and QoL fixes. Them taking this heat and putting together friend play online for SMM2 is not so unreasonable and would fall in line with the update strategy of a lot of their other big titles. So yeah your depiction of their post-launch support for their games is a mischaracterization, at least in the past 3-4 years.

BlueManifest

Oct 25, 2017
But the point is I want to play multiplayer with friends but this is something Nintendo can't do. It's either local with friends or online with strangers.
Going by Nintendo’s wording it sounds like that will be updated in the future, and if doesn’t happen I’m still going to enjoy it, it’s better than Mario maker 1 either way

Tron1

Dec 23, 2017
Im not sure why anyone is surprised. Splatoon 2 was awful for playing with friends too.

Nintendo has such bizarre online in 2019. It's like they haven't seen what the Ps4 + XOne can do
Yep! Not surprising this is Nintendo. No matter how good they are doing at something they find a way to fuck it up. Like every time.

Moltres006

Jan 5, 2019
Nintendo EAD games get tons of support post-launch. Botw, Mk8dx, Mario odyssey, splatoon 2, etc...
And Mario Maker 2 happens to be developed by Nintendo EAD.

yyr

Nov 14, 2017
White Plains, NY
What's next?
Will Animal Crossing not allow me to visit my friends' towns? Only randoms?
What's it going to take for Nintendo to actually think about the online functionality in their games from a different perspective?

Ranmo

Oct 26, 2017
Man, that's so wack. I originally wasn't going to buy the game, then I was going to buy due to MP with friends. Obviously I assumed wrong. I'm just glad I didn't pre-order it already.

I mean, you could say you should have expected this, but with them charging for online I really thought they would actually try now...