DataStream

Oct 25, 2017
Bay Area
Last edited:

M52B28

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yar. Also looking for SMBs for user studies.

Have examples of work (design portfolio or git repo for a dev). One of the design roles could be junior if you had a good portfolio and experience with social media marketing. The other ones are not good fits for new grads.
I'm currently going to University in SF. If you can give me some tips for getting a summer internship there, I would appreciate it.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
What up, Bay Area ERA? GDC was here like 2 weeks ago apparently, I wondered why there were random events at the Razer Store at like Midnight.

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
How easy is it to just get a minimum wage job in SF ?

Let's say that you move to the city, how fast would someone find a job

M52B28

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How easy is it to just get a minimum wage job in SF ?

Let's say that you move to the city, how fast would someone find a job
How fast you get a job is highly dependent on A. Who you know and B. How hard you search.

For a minimum wage job, I'd like to say that it wouldn't be too hard. I've had a few jobs lined up in San Francisco that paid minimum wage. If you're thinking of moving to SF on a minimum wage job, I don't think that's a good idea.

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
How fast you get a job is highly dependent on A. Who you know and B. How hard you search.

For a minimum wage job, I'd like to say that it wouldn't be too hard. I've had a few jobs lined up in San Francisco that paid minimum wage. If you're thinking of moving to SF on a minimum wage job, I don't think that's a good idea.
The plan if I were to move is get a coliving room, cheapest that I've seen around $600 for a bed with roommates. Not the best but it is what it is, I have customer service experience but going to college is the plan as well

M52B28

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The plan if I were to move is get a coliving room, cheapest that I've seen around $600 for a bed with roommates. Not the best but it is what it is, I have customer service experience but going to college is the plan as well
If you're comfortable with doing that, do so.

I'm going to college in SF and I have to share a room with someone. Do I like it? No. But I am barely in the room because I have so many things to do in the city that I'd be wasting time being in there all of the time. Doesn't help that my roommate repels any sane humans..

If you do anything, don't get into a place with just college students. If you're older, you'll realize how much they don't know and how little they have their shit together.

You're probably going to have multiple jobs. Likely two Part-Time jobs and another App-based service. I worked retail and did delivery services through Postmates and that put enough money on the table for me to have left over money at the end of the month.

In fact, I'm looking for a new job now. The best time to look for jobs is in late April and May because all of the transplant college students will be leaving their jobs to go back home during the summer, which is something I won't be doing.

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
If you're comfortable with doing that, do so.

I'm going to college in SF and I have to share a room with someone. Do I like it? No. But I am barely in the room because I have so many things to do in the city that I'd be wasting time being in there all of the time. Doesn't help that my roommate repels any sane humans..

If you do anything, don't get into a place with just college students. If you're older, you'll realize how much they don't know and how little they have their shit together.

You're probably going to have multiple jobs. Likely two Part-Time jobs and another App-based service. I worked retail and did delivery services through Postmates and that put enough money on the table for me to have left over money at the end of the month.

In fact, I'm looking for a new job now. The best time to look for jobs is in late April and May because all of the transplant college students will be leaving their jobs to go back home during the summer, which is something I won't be doing.
I'm 23, I have some money saved up for the move or wherever I end up going.

How much do you you pay in rent if you don't mind me asking.

I'm interested learning how someone that is young and still able to do it in SF.

M52B28

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm 23, I have some money saved up for the move or wherever I end up going.

How much do you you pay in rent if you don't mind me asking.

I'm interested learning how someone that is young and still able to do it in SF.
I pay $1,400 a month for my room at my campus, but a little under half of that expense is covered by my school's financial aid.

If I move out, I could easily pay for a single room for $850 - $950 in a decent area.

There's plenty of people my age that manage on their own in this city, I have friends that do it.

Sometimes checks are tight, but the overall quality of living makes it wonders better. I love the city. I've adopted to it and it's my second home in this large world.

To say you've experienced this city and its people first hand living here is a privilege in its own.

Despite the amount of money its cost me, it is the best life investment I've made.

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
I pay $1,400 a month for my room at my campus, but a little under half of that expense is covered by my school's financial aid.

If I move out, I could easily pay for a single room for $850 - $950 in a decent area.

There's plenty of people my age that manage on their own in this city, I have friends that do it.

Sometimes checks are tight, but the overall quality of living makes it wonders better. I love the city. I've adopted to it and it's my second home in this large world.

To say you've experienced this city and its people first hand living here is a privilege in its own.

Despite the amount of money its cost me, it is the best life investment I've made.
Definitely, because the cheapest option available is renting a bed in a dorm type of setting. But maybe it can be the stepping stone to better things. If it let's say $700 to $800 a month with all utilities. SF has the highest minimum wage I believe so it's not that hard to make it, somehow anything is possible.

You sacrifice comfort and privacy but good things will happen as long as you go for it, that's what I think

Midramble

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco

AcridMeat

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
A guy just roaming with a shotgun and revolver who wants to murder folks. Yep just another day...

Fuck this stupid country.

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
If you don’t live in a house and rent instead, do you pay to park your car ?

I have my own car and was wondering if I decide to move to SF what are my options ?

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
If you don’t live in a house and rent instead, do you pay to park your car ?

I have my own car and was wondering if I decide to move to SF what are my options ?
It very much depends on what part of SF you end up moving to, specifically. When I looked at Glen Park, street parking was free with permit, so you just had to purchase the permit (significant, but not huge cost), and then you'd be fine. My sister lived in Outer Richmond and it was fine too. Other places street parking is nonexistent and you'll have to pay to park, which is what we do now anyways. If you want garage parking regardless expect to pay for it.

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
It very much depends on what part of SF you end up moving to, specifically. When I looked at Glen Park, street parking was free with permit, so you just had to purchase the permit (significant, but not huge cost), and then you'd be fine. My sister lived in Outer Richmond and it was fine too. Other places street parking is nonexistent and you'll have to pay to park, which is what we do now anyways. If you want garage parking regardless expect to pay for it.
Owning a car is a luxury in San Francisco?

Nov 27, 2017
I wouldn't say its a luxury. Its not needed for most unless you have a family and then its highly likely you move out of SF proper. Parking is a nightmare for sure. Insanely high rents make other normal assests seem like luxuries.

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose so, to the extent that you don't need a car to get around SF for the most part. To be honest, if you're paying SF rent then I can't imagine that the cost of garage parking being a huge impediment to your lifestyle. It's not cheap but it's not that expensive either.
I heard that renting a spot on a garage goes for $150 +

AcridMeat

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I suppose so, to the extent that you don't need a car to get around SF for the most part. To be honest, if you're paying SF rent then I can't imagine that the cost of garage parking being a huge impediment to your lifestyle. It's not cheap but it's not that expensive either.
I come from it on the opposite end. If you're paying that much for rent you really don't have much money to go elsewhere.

So yes, owning a car and paying to garage it is a luxury.

If you live in the Richmond, Sunset, and south of Mission it's doable without.

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah because I’m financing a car right now and if I were to move to sf, it would be where cohousing is possible.

So I guess I would have to figure it out somehow

Midramble

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
San Francisco
I gave up having a car in SF around around 09. Parking ticketing is the 9th circle of help in SF. You may find parking around $150 but you'll average maybe $200 a month in parking tickets and tow fees. And it's only gotten worse since 09.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
Yeah because I’m financing a car right now and if I were to move to sf, it would be where cohousing is possible.

So I guess I would have to figure it out somehow
Yeah, I mean to be blunt you're gonna need to probably pony up for that garage parking. Either that or find some place to park it away from the City and only use it when you need to. TBH I haven't used my car at all in the 4 months I've lived in SF SF (lived on the Peninsula prior to that). I mean, yeah, I've driven it to go hiking a couple of times, but I would have already given my car up if it weren't pretty much brand new.

I think we all came up with the same answer phrased in different ways. The bottom line is having a car in SF is unnecessary unless you have specific need for a car due to job, family, hobbies. In that sense it is a luxury. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find street parking manageable as long as you are diligent about moving your car on street cleaning days (set calendar reminders, that's what my sister did). Otherwise, you will have to pay to garage your car, and the cost is gonna be about 150-200 dollars a month.

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I mean to be blunt you're gonna need to probably pony up for that garage parking. Either that or find some place to park it away from the City and only use it when you need to. TBH I haven't used my car at all in the 4 months I've lived in SF SF (lived on the Peninsula prior to that). I mean, yeah, I've driven it to go hiking a couple of times, but I would have already given my car up if it weren't pretty much brand new.

I think we all came up with the same answer phrased in different ways. The bottom line is having a car in SF is unnecessary unless you have specific need for a car due to job, family, hobbies. In that sense it is a luxury. Depending on where you live, you may be able to find street parking manageable as long as you are diligent about moving your car on street cleaning days (set calendar reminders, that's what my sister did). Otherwise, you will have to pay to garage your car, and the cost is gonna be about 150-200 dollars a month.
damn, the downfall of having a new car. It's expected as sf has a lot of people using public transportation, I guess maybe I could uber/lyft as a second job to pay for the garage

AcridMeat

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
damn, the downfall of having a new car. It's expected as sf has a lot of people using public transportation, I guess maybe I could uber/lyft as a second job to pay for the garage
Are you dead set on living in SF? Having a car outside of the city is much easier, and also allows you to enjoy/make use of it on the weekends driving elsewhere in the bay.

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
Are you dead set on living in SF? Having a car outside of the city is much easier, and also allows you to enjoy/make use of it on the weekends driving elsewhere in the bay.
If I go to sf, I hope to attend city college which is I guess outside.. I think is kinda outside of the city but the super cheap dorm like cohousing seems to only be near the main city part (terderloin) I think that’s what it’s called

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
If I go to sf, I hope to attend city college which is I guess outside.. I think is kinda outside of the city but the super cheap dorm like cohousing seems to only be near the main city part (terderloin) I think that’s what it’s called
City College SF has several campuses, one of which is downtown. If you're gonna live near the Downtown campus, you're gonna want to garage your car. TBH, the downtown campus is like right next to the Powell Street Bart, as well as generally next to the nexus that is Civic Center BART (for Muni), so you could live practically anywhere in the city and get there easy.

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
City College SF has several campuses, one of which is downtown. If you're gonna live near the Downtown campus, you're gonna want to garage your car. TBH, the downtown campus is like right next to the Powell Street Bart, as well as generally next to the nexus that is Civic Center BART (for Muni), so you could live practically anywhere in the city and get there easy.
The struggles of owning a car, I owe 15k still, I guess there’s always a way

AcridMeat

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely garage your car if you end up living in downtown (best of luck finding a spot there...). That's where the highest rate of breaks ins is.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, should probably ask this here.

I currently live in East Bay and I'm looking for an apartment closer to my SF job, likely in Oakland. I don't know that area too well, so if I'm looking for a place close to BART, what's safe yet not too expensive? I make less than $100 thousand.

I don't own a car and I don't intend to buy one.

Last edited:

M52B28

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ah, should probably ask this here.

I currently live in East Bay and I'm looking for an apartment closer to my SF job, likely in Oakland. I don't know that area too well, so if I'm looking for a place close to BART, what's safe yet not too expensive? I make less than $100 thousand.

I don't own a car and I don't intend to buy one.
These are the BART stations that are around SF. If you use a combination of BART and Muni, you should be okay. If your job is in Financial District, NoMA or SoMa, just take BART and use a scooter, or something of the likes.

As for what places in SF are cheaper, it depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking to share a room or have your own place? If you want your own place, you're going to find it difficult to find an entire apartment under 1,400/mo in all of the areas listed, but if you're looking for a room, you can easily find one as low as $600/mo, which to me, is a killer deal.

If you don't mind a small commute, maybe you could get a place in South SF or San Bruno. My brother used to commute from there to downtown to his job using BART and it didn't take him very long.

Anyways, I'm not sure if any of this helps, but there you go.

Also, why rent in Oakland when you can rent in some parts of SF for similar prices with the convenience of location?

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
These are the BART stations that are around SF. If you use a combination of BART and Muni, you should be okay. If your job is in Financial District, NoMA or SoMa, just take BART and use a scooter, or something of the likes.

As for what places in SF are cheaper, it depends on what you're looking for. Are you looking to share a room or have your own place? If you want your own place, you're going to find it difficult to find an entire apartment under 1,400/mo in all of the areas listed, but if you're looking for a room, you can easily find one as low as $600/mo, which to me, is a killer deal.

If you don't mind a small commute, maybe you could get a place in South SF or San Bruno. My brother used to commute from there to downtown to his job using BART and it didn't take him very long.

Anyways, I'm not sure if any of this helps, but there you go.

Also, why rent in Oakland when you can rent in some parts of SF for similar prices with the convenience of location?

Wow you went and beyond with the help, I truly appreciate that. The plan is to rent with multiple people, as long as it’s super cheap I think I should be able to live good enough

M52B28

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wow you went and beyond with the help, I truly appreciate that. The plan is to rent with multiple people, as long as it’s super cheap I think I should be able to live good enough
I thought what I did was just minimal.

If youryo going to rent with multiple people, you should be good. I'm planning on moving out of my place to somewhere else in SF, so I've been looking.

Right now, I'm seeing that an average room in a so, so area and building is $650 and a bigger room in a nicer area is about $850.

It sucks to have a car because I have to take in consideration the parking.

SigmasonicX

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the help. Given that I don't have any friends who live in the city, how do I go about finding roommates?

Armadilo

Oct 27, 2017
I thought what I did was just minimal.

If youryo going to rent with multiple people, you should be good. I'm planning on moving out of my place to somewhere else in SF, so I've been looking.

Right now, I'm seeing that an average room in a so, so area and building is $650 and a bigger room in a nicer area is about $850.

It sucks to have a car because I have to take in consideration the parking.
You're looking at cohousing type of room rent, right ? those are the only type of places that seem cheap

Nov 7, 2017
Calfornia/SF ERA.....

State/local elections are coming up (Mail in ballots start May 8 I believe) and sooo I have never voted in California before and I just moved into SF last year so I have no clue about any candidates/ballot measures this year. Is there anyone that can point me to a website or something that summarizes all of the ballot measures and candidates?

nickyang

Oct 27, 2017
hey sfbayera

im looking for housing in the area and was wondering if i should suck it up, get a place in the city, and deal with the 1 hr commute, or if i should get something closer (im working down south in santa clara)

how is the caltrain for commuting? the company im at this summer has a shuttle from sf to sc, but im pretty sure its limited space so im trying to scout this out before i commit

it just seems like there's so much more to do in the city compared to what's down there, and i wouldn't trust myself to drag myself up on the weekends

any thoughts on this?

Omeganex9999

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I've spent the last few days in the Bay Area, staying in Sunnyvale but traveling between SF and SJ and... wow, I love this place.

I've lived in Tokyo 5 years and was already thinking of moving to a different country later this year but now I am really motivated to find a job in Silicon Valley.

Where do people usually look for IT jobs? I can only apply to companies that would sponsor me for a visa since I'm not American.

Miletius

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Berkeley, CA
hey sfbayera

im looking for housing in the area and was wondering if i should suck it up, get a place in the city, and deal with the 1 hr commute, or if i should get something closer (im working down south in santa clara)

how is the caltrain for commuting? the company im at this summer has a shuttle from sf to sc, but im pretty sure its limited space so im trying to scout this out before i commit

it just seems like there's so much more to do in the city compared to what's down there, and i wouldn't trust myself to drag myself up on the weekends

any thoughts on this?
As somebody who values convenience the most you should live in San Jose if you have access to a car, and SF otherwise. (or really anywhere along the Caltrain). If you have access to a car there's no reason to do the 1 hour commute. Caltrain is pretty good most of the time (there are a few days here and there where it's not), but it isn't super reliable later on at night and it's pretty far from San Jose to SF -- so you'd need to really time your commute right to get on the expresses.

Honestly the nice thing about the Peninsula is that most towns actually have a decent atmosphere, atlhough party life/night life is more limited. Pretty much any town along the Caltrain has decent food, places to hang out, parks. I would not live in Sunnyvale personally, but anywhere north of Palo Alto is pretty good if you live close to their downtown. Some people like downtown Mountain View also, but I gotta be honest I think it's subpar. Just avoid Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, all boring suburban areas.