New Tales of game apparently leaked (including screenshots) [Tales of Arise - PS4/X1/PC]

Oct 25, 2017
Whoa. Lots of fire there. You think that guy actually has one eye, or does he have a special eye, or does he wear that because ow the edge?
Options 2 and 3 seem most likely. He seems like a blend of Ludger and Sorey, with slightly toned down edgelord elements from Velvet. More cool and less over designed/skimpy.

I do wish they would go back to Xillia's combat, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they improved the behind the back perspective combat they've been trying recently. Though, that's assuming they've put as much effort revitalizing the combat mechanics as they have the visuals. Just like the visuals, for better or for worse the general audiences they are probably aiming to get a chunk of with this won't play a game with 2D combat, they'd prefer something more cinematic. God of War struck a good balance between cinematic and gameplay focused though, and had much more engaging combat than say Berseria for me, so I would accept some compromise if they pull it off.

Then again maybe they're taking influence from DMC like they've seemingly always been slightly adjacent to, and we get lite-character action ala NieR Automata.

Naha-

Feb 6, 2019
Man, the girl looks like Lailah. This could be the game between Zestiria and Berseria. It could also be a kind of reboot for the first one.

Anyway, i have always being a big fan of Tales games, so i'm so fucking glad they finally decided to renew their graphics. About time.

OmegaDL50

Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
With the description of two different planets / worlds. I'm reminded of Tales of Eternia somewhat with the Inferia and Celestia thing. I wonder if this is similar at all.

There is also Xillia as well which had basically two worlds, Rieze Maxia and Elympios.

Not exactly the first time we had a Tales game with a conflict between two worlds.

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
WOAH!!

UE4??

Can't believe they are using an advanced engine......

Tales is one of my favorite franchises, hope this lives up to Berseria level.

Can't wait for first trailer.

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
With the description of two different planets / worlds. I'm reminded of Tales of Eternia somewhat with the Inferia and Celestia thing. I wonder if this is similar at all.

There is also Xillia as well which had basically two worlds, Rieze Maxia and Elympios.

Not exactly the first time we had a Tales game with a conflict between two worlds.
If Tales goes full sci-fi like Star Ocean I will be so damn happy. Give us spaceships and two planets!

I'm not getting expectations up too high for that though

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017

And Symphonia, it’s pretty cliché for a Tales Of.

Dandy Crocodile

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Like others said, that REALLY looks like Lailah so I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's a third game in the Berseria/Zestiria world.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
You know, I'm starting to think that Square Enix getting rid of Baba was also the right move now.

Just see how things can improve with his absence.

Drakken

Oct 28, 2017
Wow. As someone who hasn't played a Tales game since Symphonia (and hasn't had much interest in the series in general), I'm really liking the look of that overworld screenshot. Looking forward to seeing more.

Oct 25, 2017
Not another planet per se, but:
If I understood this right, a conflict among Malak regarding if they want to coexist with humans led to the against-side to force the other Malak out of what was essentially Heaven and onto Earth, while also creating what became Malevolence. This plot point was never resolved in Zestiria the X either and it was thought that a third game would happen that would cover this topic.
Hmm, seems like this could tie in. Thanks.

As for counting out any possibility that this is connected to Z/B based on the PR, did Symphonia advertise it's connection to Phantasia super openly? I honestly do not know. It could be just that the character who looks like Lailah really is just a look-alike, but there could be some kind of surprise connection. I wouldn't be surprised either way really.

Also, let's be glad that the commonly agreed upon fan theory, that they were taking a few years longer to make a big comeback by switching to UE4 has come true. Hopefully this pays off and they grab a few hundred thousand new fans at least.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Really happy about the visual upgrade. But I hope they also address the big problem when arrived when Zestiria hit, which is that they created these huge fields, but there was nothing to do in them. It was just monsters and maybe an occasional chest. It never really felt like a place you wanted to explore like in the Xenoblade games. If they can hit that and then keep the flow they had in terms of story and characters with Berseria, then this will be a treat.

8bit_Spazzy

Oct 26, 2017
Atheerios can you remove the tweet from fraud sabi and link the real source:
Hey guys, this is Spazzy from Source Gaming. Not sure my word counts for much around here, but I can definitely vouch for Sabi on this one.

She shared a huge list of games with me this afternoon, and a new Tales game was definitely a part of that.

DangerMouse

Oct 25, 2017
If true then I hope the cast of Berseria returns. I don't care how or why, bring them back damn it.
Yup, the great cast! Wouldn't mind seeing them again.

They mention new world and cast in the description though so she's probably not Lailah despite the similar look and color scheme. I'm ready for another new world to go with this graphics jump though so that's fine.

She really does look a hell of a lot like Lailah... Looks like she's holding a weapon though and it sure ain't paper.

A scythe maybe? Lol probably just wishful thinking.
Yeah, can't really tell at all what it looks like in that shot, but it looks she's got some kind of weapon in her hand there.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad they took their time to make this one look higher budget. I'm about ready for another Tales of game.

NewWabiSabi

Nov 28, 2018
But you shared that privately, right? I'm talking about the first person who posted it publicly.

Or did you post it in your server publicly before 4chan?
The post in our server was also before 4chan. If you hover over the 4chan time, it says it was uploaded 2.5 hrs ago. The posts in our server are from a little over 3 hours ago, going on 4.

Aia

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing news, it needed this push otherwise it will get real stale after all these games.

Can't wait for the trailer.

Stabbie

May 8, 2019
Doesn't look anything special, these low rez armors are killing me. Plus with Gran Blue around no one will care

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Costa Rica
The post in our server was also before 4chan. If you hover over the 4chan time, it says it was uploaded 2.5 hrs ago. The posts in our server are from a little over 3 hours ago, going on 4.
I'm in your server so I wanted to clarify. I know you are leaking things both via DMs and the non smash channel but wasn't sure it you also leaked in to the public channel.

Thanks for clarifying!

Son of Sparda

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The game looks pretty good actually. Consider me interested at the very least. Berseria was fine but it was definitely lacking in certain areas so It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out.
DUDE. that looks good.

If only Ys games will look like this.
Man, Falcom needs to be bought by some JP big publisher like Sega or Bandai. They make great games with shoestring budgets. It makes me sad :(

NewWabiSabi

Nov 28, 2018
I'm in your server so I wanted to clarify. I know you are leaking things both via DMs and the non smash channel but wasn't sure it you also leaked in to the public channel.

Thanks for clarifying!
No problem, if you're ever doubting, you can see that the current time is LITERALLY just about to hit 3 hours from when it was posted in my server (my bad), and the 4chan post currently says 2 hrs 44 minutes, so it seems somebody went on 4chan about 20 minutes after my server spread it around.

Oct 25, 2017
Is this the first time he's been involved with Tales of? It looks like based on this tweet he may have started overseeing it recently (ie. starting with Arise).

Really happy about the visual upgrade. But I hope they also address the big problem when arrived when Zestiria hit, which is that they created these huge fields, but there was nothing to do in them. It was just monsters and maybe an occasional chest. It never really felt like a place you wanted to explore like in the Xenoblade games. If they can hit that and then keep the flow they had in terms of story and characters with Berseria, then this will be a treat.
Same, the proof is in the pudding gameplay.

Looks good but still got a bit of that UE4 look makes it look "stock-ish"
Kind of, but then again it looks much less "stock" than the last 4 Tales of games looking like "stock" Tales of. Or at least I'd take a slight "mainstreamification" to align more with "UE4 stock" than for them to continue to struggle along with the old artstyle/engine.

DUDE. that looks good.

If only Ys games will look like this.
Yup, I'd accept the Ys budget looks if it at least ran well, but the Switch port is, less than inspiring. I suppose that might be a little unfair? But really it should be a locked 1080/60 even on Switch. Oh well.

That actually does make me wonder though. Is this sticking with 60fps? I'm not so sure honestly considering the visual upgrade. RE engine is wizardry and so can sustain 60 with nearly top tier graphics, but UE4 isn't so finely tuned so I wouldn't be surprised if this engine upgrade comes with a framerate drop. Oh well PS5 version's probably coming tbh.

OP
OP
Atheerios

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
Costa Rica
No problem, if you're ever doubting, you can see that the current time is LITERALLY just about to hit 3 hours from when it was posted in my server (my bad), and the 4chan post currently says 2 hrs 44 minutes, so it seems somebody went on 4chan about 20 minutes after my server spread it around.
That explains it. I was looking for messages from you but didn't search for Biscuit.