#ImpeachTrump: Day of Action, June 15th

Orwell

Jun 6, 2019
Except for all the protests that did? The fuck are some of you on about?
And what have these protests accomplished, exactly? It's nothing more than performative outrage, toothless defiance that is laughed at by both parties. The people protesting march until their legs give out or their voices grow hoarse, return to their keyboards, and continue lobbing rhetorical missiles. Rinse and repeat.

Alavard

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So we impeach Trump and get Pence in his place. It seems lose-lose either way.
Keep in mind the current date with respect to the next election and how long impeachment/removal would take. 4 years of Pence is bad. 2 years of Pence is not good. Less than a year of Pence with the House against him, not nearly as bad. Pence is really damn awful, but a lame duck Pence right before he loses the election, might be the least awful situation.

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of voting him out of office, the American government almost certainly won't do anything to get rid of him. You Americans literally need to storm the White House. Anything else is inefficient at this point.

Oct 28, 2017
But they should impeach at some point. Pressure has to start and maintain. There is evidence Dems dont ever intend to impeach.
I agree. But the election is 17 months away and Trump has a 90% approval rating among Republicans. The strategic thing to do would be to place impeachment front and centre during election season. Not only does this force Trump to confront obstruction (and potentially conspiracy) charges at election time, more importantly, it keeps him off the campaign trail.

Edit: And, in case it is not clear, Trump will not be convicted. It will never happen. The Senate will not flip and Trump will not resign with his current approval rating.

Last edited:

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
And what have these protests accomplished, exactly? It's nothing more than performative outrage, toothless defiance that is laughed at by both parties. The people protesting march until their legs give out or their voices grow hoarse, return to their keyboards, and continue lobbing rhetorical missiles. Rinse and repeat.
The post I was responding to didn't talk about that. He said they don't happen. They certainly do.

Orwell

Jun 6, 2019
Americans are too apathetic to force change, unless it involves fast food.
At this juncture, you can't really call it apathy. Apathy is staying home on November 8th, 2016. Now we're in the stage of the "Good German," and millions of supposed anti-Trumpers are tacit supporters of what he stands for, mainly because they're not impacted by his actions. We are well past the point of apathy being what keeps Trump in office.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
Americans are too apathetic to force change, unless it involves fast food.
what if you got a free meal if you marched to impeach Trump
what if that free meal was only Chipotle
what if you had to get pay for guacamole with that free meal
what if Trump suddenly declares war on Chipotle and guacamole

so many permutations for Pelosi to consider

It is interesting that marches kinda died down this decade. I remember worldwide there were tons of marches around the Iraq War back in 2002-ish. Then all the Occupy Wall Street marches, then the million man and woman marches. Not really a whole lot in the last few years, I think?

minsk

Jan 28, 2019
Jesus Christ guys, if Hong Kong can protest with China looming in the background, you guys can get it together for this. People in many places protest under far more adverse conditions than American protesters face.

Critch

Dec 10, 2017
There are protests all the time in the US, they just don't necessarily make national news. We still also have had many large scale protests even since Trump's election.
Which have done fuck all. Did we win the House, sure. Does the party not in power typically win in an off year election, also sure.

When the people protesting actually show up to vote for the Democrat like they should have in 2016, then I'll give them some props. As it is, the Senate isn't looking like we're getting that back anytime soon, and who the fuck knows if people will actually show up next year if their chosen one doesn't get the nomination.

In 2018 only 31% of millenial voters actually bothered to put their money where their mouth was. All those fucking protests and all that showed up was 3 out of 10 eligible voters in a demographic that skews left. And yeah, I'm heavily blasting the young voters above all others, because they're the ones that are showing up for the protests and NOT showing up at the polls. Even in an election year you barely can get half of young eligible voters out. In a protest after Trump won, a poll taking at a rally in Seattle showed that half of the people protesting didn't even vote.

Protests in America are a glorified Facebook event. Ways to appear 'woke' and part of the change, but they do not move the needle in the slightest. A day of action (Which in many places, are coinciding with Pride parades) is actually meaningless because they have proven they don't equal any kind of action other than looking good in a selfie. Marches against guns? Nothing. Marches for Women? Nothing.

You want change? Lasting change? Don't have a nice cheerful march through the streets which are dismissed by anyone in power and forgotten the day after. VOTE. When these people start putting as much effort into actually doing the only thing that actually gets results in this country as they do into their virtue signaling, maybe people will take their little pity parties more seriously. As it is, the only thing they're doing is tying up traffic.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Which have done fuck all. Did we win the House, sure. Does the party not in power typically win in an off year election, also sure.

When the people protesting actually show up to vote for the Democrat like they should have in 2016, then I'll give them some props. As it is, the Senate isn't looking like we're getting that back anytime soon, and who the fuck knows if people will actually show up next year if their chosen one doesn't get the nomination.

In 2018 only 31% of millenial voters actually bothered to put their money where their mouth was. All those fucking protests and all that showed up was 3 out of 10 eligible voters in a demographic that skews left. And yeah, I'm heavily blasting the young voters above all others, because they're the ones that are showing up for the protests and NOT showing up at the polls. Even in an election year you barely can get half of young eligible voters out. In a protest after Trump won, a poll taking at a rally in Seattle showed that half of the people protesting didn't even vote.

Protests in America are a glorified Facebook event. Ways to appear 'woke' and part of the change, but they do not move the needle in the slightest. A day of action (Which in many places, are coinciding with Pride parades) is actually meaningless because they have proven they don't equal any kind of action other than looking good in a selfie. Marches against guns? Nothing. Marches for Women? Nothing.

You want change? Lasting change? Don't have a nice cheerful march through the streets which are dismissed by anyone in power and forgotten the day after. VOTE. When these people start putting as much effort into actually doing the only thing that actually gets results in this country as they do into their virtue signaling, maybe people will take their little pity parties more seriously. As it is, the only thing they're doing is tying up traffic.
"Glorified Facebook Event"

This is an ignorant as hell post and completely ignores the sheer impact protests have had throughout history.

You realize the Blue Wave consisted of more than millennials right? Protests helped drive that action and kept that anger high. The amount of people that voted in the 2018 midterms was that akin to that of a presidential election year, which was unheard of. It wasn't just because "the party not in power typically wins in an off year election". It was a blue wave that overcame gerrymandering and voter suppression by incredible margins, which is why the Dems won the House as much as they did.

Without those protests throughout those two years Dems probably would have still won, yeah. But nowhere near on the level that they did in 2018. It would have been a slim majority at best.

Please look at some history before you come in here with takes like this.

TheCorman

May 29, 2018
I'll be interested to see what these accomplish (if anything) and how many people get out there to do it. I myself am not a liberal and have no reason to protest, but the more people that care about the future of this country the better, even if we're technically not on the same "team." Honestly, I think if the left even wants a chance to take over the Senate and win back the Presidency, you really all need to get on the same page. All this in-fighting, arguing, and defeatism is only going to make the party weaker going into 2020.

This is just my take as an observer on this very left-leaning forum.

Critch

Dec 10, 2017
I'll be interested to see what these accomplish (if anything) and how many people get out there to do it. I myself am not a liberal and have no reason to protest, but the more people that care about the future of this country the better, even if we're technically not on the same "team." Honestly, I think if the left even wants a chance to take over the Senate and win back the Presidency, you really all need to get on the same page. All this in-fighting, arguing, and defeatism is only going to make the party weaker going into 2020.

This is just my take as an observer on this very left-leaning forum.
The Left fall in love, the Right fall in line. The progressive left is never going to accomplish anything in this country until they realize what the Republicans realized long ago. It doesn't matter how awful the candidate is, you vote for them and you keep them in power no matter what, because they will eventually get you what you want even if it doesn't happen immediately.

After the Bernie vs. Hillary debacle, I have very little hope of Democrats outside of centrists lining up behind Biden if he does take the crown.

"Glorified Facebook Event"

This is an ignorant as hell post and completely ignores the sheer impact protests have had throughout history.

You realize the Blue Wave consisted of more than millennials right? Protests helped drive that action and kept that anger high. The amount of people that voted in the 2018 midterms was that akin to that of a presidential election year, which was unheard of. It wasn't just because "the party not in power typically wins in an off year election". It was a blue wave that overcame gerrymandering and voter suppression by incredible margins, which is why the Dems won the House as much as they did.

Without those protests throughout those two years Dems probably would have still won, yeah. But nowhere near on the level that they did in 2018. It would have been a slim majority at best.

Please look at some history before you come in here with takes like this.
In 2018 31% of eligible voters under the age of 35 voted. In 2016 the number was slightly over 50. The total amount of voters was fully 10% behind 2018, at 49%. The only Presidential Election this was akin to was sometime in the 1920's. The house victories were fine but where we actually needed to win to save Roe vs. Wade, and stop the tide of ultra-conservative judges flooding the courts we actually lost seats. Let's pat ourselves on the back for putting our finger over the leak while the dam's overflowing. And the only thing these protests are about is wanting to do the exact same thing the Republicans did to Clinton and will fare no better due to, again, the results in the Senate.

When these protests actually prod the 69% of people that couldn't be bothered to vote, or the half of the protestors that didn't bother to vote, and accomplish something other than what historically was always going to happen anyway, feel free to carry on with your calls of ignorance and history. This isn't Vietnam, this isn't other countries that shut down with the sheer size and magnitude of their cries, this is the Occupy movement for 2020. A pittance of maybe-voters showing off for their oh-so-virtuous buddies that have to be practically bribed to do the actual bare minimum the country asks for them to do once a year to actually have a chance of doing the thing they claim they want.

Oct 28, 2017
After you impeach him, what will be done about the 60 million people who support him and millions more who're comfortable with the negative peace that beget Trump?
They'll suck it up. Just like all the rest of the crap they suck up.
You idiots. He wants to be impeached. Let’s just ignore him and not give him what he wants.
This isn't a protest for impeachment. It is a protest to start an impeachment inquiry into whether he should be impeached. Huge distinction.

Seik

Oct 25, 2017
Québec City
It's nice when people do calls for action, and when said action finally happens, people downplay it.

The very first page of this thread is a glowing example of that.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
I voted for Hillary Clinton and Stacey Abrams and I got fuck all for the effort.
Yeah I voted in Broward County, I dont know if my vote was even counted in 2018.

Not to mention the whole lovely "get 3 million less votes, still win" system we have here in the Democratic Utopia of America

Critch

Dec 10, 2017
I voted for Hillary Clinton and Stacey Abrams and I got fuck all for the effort.
Yeah I voted in Broward County, I dont know if my vote was even counted in 2018.

Not to mention the whole lovely "get 3 million less votes, still win" system we have here in the Democratic Utopia of America
The votes were one higher than they would've been otherwise. And accomplished more than the protests have.

The Electoral College is bullshit, which hopefully with the popular vote compact someday will be solved. But if we're going down the road of votes not working, then the only solution is protesting, yes, but with weapons.

Personally, I say since the laws are what they are, every Democratic person that wants to protest should do so, and carry the same heavy weaponry that the Conservatives love to showoff anytime there is a Democrat gathering. Let's have an a fully armed pro-choice rally at Statehouses. Then you might be on to something. Other than that, the belief in voting is the only thing that keeps this country going, at least for a few more decades until developing countries kill us all with climate change.

Peaceful protests? Sorry, the hippies had their time, and even that didn't get us home from 'Nam for years after.