Pokémon Sword and Shield announced. Coming Late 2019

What would you like to see the most in the upcoming direct?

• New Pokémon

Votes: 186 30.6%
  • Legendary Pokémon

Votes: 58 9.5%
  • Info on new mechanics

Votes: 244 40.1%
  • I just want to know if there's free camera movement

Votes: 120 19.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveB

Oct 25, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Random encounters
Wild battles
Mechanical depth
Focus on newer Pokemon
No motion controls

That's basically it I think.
Thanks for the clarification. I actually liked the non-random encounters in Let's Go. It let me focus on only trying to catch the Pokemon I need to finish the 'dex, and honestly, it felt more organic since you actually saw them out and about in the world.

Can you explain what you mean by mechanical depth?

Heartskips

Oct 25, 2017
you both sound like all the zelda fans who were afraid of change before botw. "open world zelda would RUIN it! it doesn't need to be reinvented, look at the sales and the metacritic score... you just don't like zelda!"

and then botw came out and the zelda fans can't shut up about how it's the greatest thing in the history of the universe

it's possible to reinvent the formula while still staying true to the last 20 years of titles
Well, it ruined Zelda for me. I play it for the great designed dungeons and progression, not janky physics and the overworld. I'm fine with people using sales to justify it, but if we're doing this, SM/USUM sold absolutely great so I see no issue with keeping Pokémon as turn based linear RPG. It's not like we have many of these anyway.

coconut milk

Jan 17, 2018
What the hell were people expecting anyway? Game Freak said this would be more traditional back in 2018. And yeah I see a lot throwing around that Gamefreak is "cheap/lazy/incompetent", all of which isn't true by the way, but if anything being able to get these games out every year with the quality they are with a relativity huge profit margin on the games themselves is a good thing.

I'm beginning to think that a lot of Pokemon fans should just play different RPGs that fit more to their tastes instead of trying to make Pokemon fit theirs. It happens as you grow older you know.
Traditional in the sense that it would have regular catching style and the standard battle system

Not a game that clearly looks like game freak haven't even tried to take advantage of the switchs power

swaggy

Mar 11, 2018
I mean, I got Sinnoh vibes too but that would also mean believing that Game Freak can do a Gen 1 - 4 style region again. I think they're far removed from that mentality.

Kreed

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised they re-added random battles, as I thought they would have copied that from Let's Go. Otherwise this is about what I was expecting gameplay wise from back when a new Pokemon game was announced during the direct in 2017, followed by the information that the Pokemon Company didn't know if the Switch would be a success or not. They took the gameplay/engine they established with the 3DS and improved upon it graphically and capabilities wise for the Switch, which was more realistic to expect for a release 2 years later vs an Open World RPG built from the ground up in 2 years.

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
This game having three large cities is such a breath of fresh air after Alola. Missed my cities in Pokemon.

9s_2b_a2

Feb 20, 2019
you both sound like all the zelda fans who were afraid of change before botw. "open world zelda would RUIN it! it doesn't need to be reinvented, look at the sales and the metacritic score... you just don't like zelda!"

and then botw came out and the zelda fans can't shut up about how it's the greatest thing in the history of the universe

it's possible to reinvent the formula while still staying true to the last 20 years of titles
I'm not saying it's impossible or that it couldn't end up being better, but the franchise doesn't "need" the reinvent itself when people are happy with the way the games are of course there's always room for improvment but the games aren't bad as people are trying to make it look, also a lot of zelda fans don't think BOTW is the best Zelda.

Dec 4, 2017
It's amazing how salty people are getting that others are happy. Yes, how dare they be excited when you're not
Funny, I seem to remember the exact same words being written by those who enjoyed Let’s Go. Some people really didn’t like that.

Guess who ranted for months that LG would ruin Pokémon forever and spilled buckets of salt about Let’s Go even existing, and then rejoiced when it sold less than they feared it would.

Good for Game Freak that catering to their vocal conservative audience surely costs them so much less than trying something actually new every once in a while. A long, long while.

--R

Oct 25, 2017
I think the worst part about people arguing there are not enough changes is that we've only seen a 2 minutes long trailer. This is a series of incremental changes like Nibel said, have a bit of patience.

Rand a. Thor

Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I will also repeat myself again, Pokemon Gyms brought back as a Football League is amazing. A master stroke of genius. I just love it. It was the right amount of curvrball these games needed. Just so happy they went with this.

Duane

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Looks awesome! I can't decide which starter I prefer.

I haven't really dug in yet... is the setting based on the British Isles this time?

Vito

formerly Undead Fantasy
Oct 25, 2017
No Pokemon on the over-world is super fucking disappointing.

Galava

Oct 27, 2017
The good thing is that if we compare the map to the screenshots, the areas in the map aren't 1:1 like they have been in recent ones. It means the areas are going to be bigger than many think.

This is especially notable with the cities

Love how the pokémon center is an inn in this town

phanphare

Oct 25, 2017
What I got from that tweet is you should never criticize anything from a franchise as long as it’s making money.

Care to offer a counter argument?

Again I’m looking forward to this game but this idea you can’t complain about anything annoys me.
well you should probably read the tweet again and hone in on the successfully running the IP for 23 years part. some homework for you would be to chart the game sales for each main entry in the pokemon series compared to each main entry in the zelda series (no stadium no crossbow training, etc). note things like average sales for the series, percentage drops from entry to entry, variance in sales between major entries, lowest selling game from both, highest selling game from both, stuff like that

then think about how you actually brought up skyward sword as a counter to the tweet you quoted

and that's all without even scratching the surface of pokemon as an overall IP, this is just the major video game entries in the series

hopefully that'll set you in the right path. it's a pretty linear path too so don't feel intimidated

javac

Oct 28, 2017
This isn't really new because it was the case with LGPE but I'm glad on the Switch I can have multiple save data with one cart now, might be the first time I don't buy both versions for me and my brother.

Red

Oct 26, 2017
I dont blame them for playing it safe. 3ds is dead, they need at lest one entry compeditive players no will be solid before taking risks.
I mean I don’t blame them either. I wouldn’t use exactly that reason as a justification, and frankly don’t think they need any justification at all with such a juggernaut of a franchise. People like these games, and they like them the way they are. But damn... I’ve put in easily over 1,000 hours across generations of Pokémon titles and it’s wearying at this point how so many of them feel like the same game.

Heartskips

Oct 25, 2017
Good for Game Freak that catering to their vocal conservative audience surely costs them so much less than trying something actually new every once in a while. A long, long while.
I feel like vocal conservative fans are the ones who only want to go back again and again to the same region with the same Pokémon.

This is an actual new game tho. Will criticize it if the post-game is poor or it has meh level design, but for now I like actually having brand fresh Pokémon stuff to look forward instead of more gen 1.

Dr Pears

Sep 9, 2018
Everyone saying they shouldn't change anything because it sells millions are exactly the corporate businessmen in EA, Activision, etc.

Doesn't the gamer in you feel the excessive linearity, hand-holding, railroad "exploration" in the past few games have been exhausting?

Effect

Oct 25, 2017
This looks great and exciting. Can't wait to get my hands on it. Like normal I always start with fire types so Scorbunny and I are going to have a great first adventure.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely not implying BotW-scale changes, but clearly they are directly commenting on ideas about an open(ish) world.
We don't know anything on the world structure and progression system. To say this game doesn't have any open world qualities because it has some straight paths or vertical world map is a reach. We simply don't know yet.

Phantom Thief

Oct 25, 2017
well you should probably read the tweet again and hone in on the successfully running the IP for 23 years part. some homework for you would be to chart the game sales for each main entry in the pokemon series compared to each main entry in the zelda series (no stadium no crossbow training). note things like average sales for the series, percentage drops from entry to entry, variance in sales between major entries, lowest selling game from both, highest selling game from both, stuff like that

then think about how you actually brought up skyward sword as a counter to the tweet you quoted

and that's all without even scratching the surface of pokemon as an overall IP, this is just the major video game entries in the series

hopefully that'll set you in the right path. it's a pretty linear path too so don't feel intimidated
But is the path as linear as the routes in Sun/Moon?

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Everyone saying they shouldn't change anything because it sells millions are exactly the corporate businessmen in EA, Activision, etc.

Doesn't the gamer in you feel the excessive linearity, hand-holding, railroad "exploration" in the past few games have been exhausting?
Not really. Open games are more exhausting to play through then linear ones are.