Ars: One dead after fecal microbiota transplant gone wrong, FDA warns [See Staff post]

Nothing Loud

Oct 25, 2017
Also, the way our intestines work is getting more and more researched. There are strong signals that 'mental' issues like depression can be strongly influenced by your gut flora. Some researchers call your gut the body's "second brain". It's because it's just a less sexy topic compared to neurology or things like that, but signs point that we still have a lot to learn on this front and that it greatly influence or even cure many known diseases.
Yup, the intestine interacts with gut bacteria using chemical transmitters. Beyond the bacteria eating your food before it even gets absorbed by your body, different strains release different transmitters that your body and immune system absorb that can even dictate your nervous system and metabolism. Theory is developing that people’s health is directly influenced by the gut flora they have, the dominant strains, and the ones you inherit from your family

May 18, 2018
Shame on you people laughing, this person probably suffered a insurmountable amount of pain before dying, as a husband to a wife with problems that may require her to do something like this I find this pretty offensive.

Akronis

Lizard Daddy
Oct 25, 2017
gotta say, I consider myself pretty dumb and even I know what a fecal transplant is

some of these posts are mega extra dumb

Oct 25, 2017
There's a lot of stuff in your gut. There's a lot of (expensive) testing you can do. If you get it from open biome, you the patient don't get to choose the donor. That leads to obvious blind spots, like the donors diet. Plus, the donation will be old.

The donor I had was selected from a bank. It stopped my cdiff and rampant weight loss, but I might have picked something else up. I needed additional work, but the transplant saved my life. Comes with the territory.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
It's not that hard to screen for ESBL. What the hell happened here?

Also the poo jokes need to stop. Someone died, you degenerates.

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
some really ignorant takes here, FMT is a real and helpful procedure. Your gut flora has a huge impact on the machinations of your body.

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
I thought this was some psuedo science comestic stuff so sure while the joke may have been in bad taste and wrong I'm not sure while why I'm the only one being warned. I was wrong and ignorant on the subject so I take responsibility.
Whining about getting a warning isnt really taking responsibility though is it. Just accept it was in bad taste and move on.

That being said the source article is not very professional in its title or its content, the fact they use poop in the title and use the word "mucky" when several other words would have worked better is honestly pretty pathetic

Sad news about the guy, but I suppose stuff like this can happen with experimental procedures, hopefully they will be more careful in future

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Whining about getting a warning isnt really taking responsibility though is it. Just accept it was in bad taste and move on.

That being said the source article is not very professional in its title or its content, the fact they use poop in the title and use the word "mucky" when several other words would have worked better is honestly pretty pathetic

Sad news about the guy, but I suppose stuff like this can happen with experimental procedures, hopefully they will be more careful in future
Again, I wasnt complaining about the warning but that I was the only poster warned. Thats not the case anymore but seems like the mods went too far with the warnings.

Staff post.

Volimar

Oct 25, 2017
Official Staff Communication
It shouldn't have to be said but a thread about someone dying isn't the place to make poop jokes. Don't use this thread to complain about your warnings. Stay on topic.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
I’ve heard of a bunch of cases with this procedure having long term negative side effects. Nothing this bad of course but it seems like they still have a ways to go to perfect the process.

Maximus

Oct 27, 2017
I didn’t know this is a thing, crazy what the potential may be for people. Terrible way to go or get sick, though they do know it is experimental I guess.

Damn this thread got heavy handed quick with the warnings.

PoppaBK

Oct 27, 2017
I hope this comment is supposed to be serious, because they're absolutely supposed to screen donors for abnormal pathogens in the case of fecal transplants.
Either they were taking short cuts or more likely it got contaminated after screening due to poor procedures.
And I know the outcome of this was literally deathly serious, but like any medical procedure involving the butt, you have to expect that there will be jokes.

Oct 25, 2017
couldn't they instead create cultures from the patient's same intestines?
If their intestines are in a state of dysbiosis then there's nothing to use. They need fresh, healthy stool. You can't grow that in a petri dish, the donor is the dish. By the time you would need to "save" the sick person stool, they've been sick for a long time.
I’ve heard of a bunch of cases with this procedure having long term negative side effects. Nothing this bad of course but it seems like they still have a ways to go to perfect the process.
Not doing the procedure keeps you sick. Whatever you read is fud. The people that need them are going to have reactions, pain/discomfort, flu like symptoms no matter what. Crohn's, colitis, ibs suffers etc - mostly anything you do or eat will destroy you on a daily basis. Steriods, immune suppresesants don't help that dysbiosis. Just covers it up, or makes it worse.

Thing is, you need to do MORE than one for the procedure to be the most effective, depending on how sick you actually are.

Topper

Oct 27, 2017
Feel like I heard about microbes and this procedure in an episode of radio lab, seemed neat but radio lab makes everything cool.

Z-Beat

Oct 25, 2017
C'mon dude. Why are you comparing a legitimate medical procedure that has been clinically proven to be beneficial to literal snake oil tinfoil bullshit?
Mainly because the last time I was made aware of this procedure it was being done in the sketchiest method imaginable (basically just gathering a bunch of feces and jamming it up there) but if it's come far enough to be legit then okay.

It actually used to be an irrational fear of mine that I'd go to donate blood and there'd be something secretly horrible in it that would somehow be missed in testing and it'd accidentally kill the people it was used on.