Pokemon Sword and Shield is the proportionally lowest-rated game of e3 on YouTube, do we expect this to have any effect on sales?

Oct 26, 2017

(This discussion is assuming that Game Freak doesn't decide to reverse this decision which seems reasonable as there probably isn't enough development time left to do so and Pokemon can't be delayed)

The blowback from Game Freak removing the ability to import your old Pokemon who aren't in Galar has been intense. This has not been helped by the two factors of:

-The Pokemon Company is charging money for you to be able to store your Pokemon in Pokemon Home so there's a decent chance you're just paying them money for literally no reason if your favorite Pokemon isn't in Galar.

-Game Freak has defended the decision by claiming that these cuts were necessary considering the animation and graphical improvements. The issue here is that Pokemon Sword and Shield has terrible graphics.

(How are these birds even gliding over air currents, where is the air current... What bird has ever changed direction like this)

Now, online outrage over various things often doesn't impact sales at all (please do not post the MW2 boycott picture, everyone has already seen it), but online distaste can sometimes be reflective of real life distaste also (see the savaging Dark Phoenix got online for months before it was destroyed by critics and lost hundreds of millions of dollars). Do we think this will be a major deal to real life consumers or is this something almost no consumers will actually care about?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
I don't, but Game Freak is probably taking notice. They've backtracked with lesser backlashes. It damages the brand even if it doesn't damages sales.

See: Battlefront 2

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
No, it didn't for Let's Go so why would it here. People complaining Wingul looks like Wingul is killing me though. The eternal T-poser. Everything else does suck though.

RochHoch

May 22, 2018
I wish.

Gamefreak will continue to get away with being horribly incompetent until the end of time because their games will always sell.

It's complete bullshit.

Mazzle

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Not really. I'm sure GF will work on this topic but geez there are too many Pokémon.
There had to be a point where they have to rework this ever existing problem of too many useless Pokémon and bad balancing

Illusion

Oct 27, 2017
No. Fans are still going to buy it regardless, now if people really feel affected by it while playing the game, then the next game would probably shake things up if the same stunt happens.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
It won’t affect sales. If anything it’ll affect Game Freak’s decision making process, and I don’t even know if that will happen.

Harald23

Dec 21, 2017
Let's Go was far worse actually.

But at that point there were reasons to be disappointed, while now it all feels like the same old whining from the Pokémon community who is never happy.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
-Game Freak has defended the decision by claiming that these cuts were necessary considering the animation and graphical improvements. The issue here is that Pokemon Sword and Shield has terrible graphics.
It looks good to me, and this is not how things works to be honest. they are talking about their own capacity, and there is no doubt the the number of Pokemon is staggering.

however, i don't know how they will deal with the situation or if this will affect sales.

JustALurker

Feb 12, 2019
It won't, the target demographic (and Where the majority of sales come from) is children who pick the game because of the name Pokemon on the cover, and the parents will pick it for their kids in the holidays because of the brand history and image.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
I didn't know that people are so butthurt about this lol.

I doubt it's going to have a meaningful effect on sales.

OmegaSmash

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Most gamers have the memory of an ant so no. All Nintendo has to do is just throw more waifus and husbandos and everyone is gonna forget about it.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
They are only the most hated bacause there is a viral fan backlash campaign due to the fact that they wont be supporting 1000 pokemon in every game

When the heat settles most will move on or get over it but i suppose that depends entirely on how game freak decides to address the feedback

I dont read into anything beyond the obvious take aways here

Oct 27, 2017
It will still sell millions upon millions of copies, but there's no way a change taken so negatively doesn't decrease sales somewhat.

I just have no idea if that means anything between 1 sale, a few thousand or more than that.

LebGuns

Oct 25, 2017
User Warned: Platform Wars
Nintendo fans are the most blindly loyal fans in gaming. They will turn a blind eye like they do to the terrible online experience, lack of folders and themes in Switch OS, and so many other crappy Nintendo things and buy the game.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
It will almost assuredly sell millions, but I am curious as to how they intend to go about marketing this in the future. Every tweet the official Pokemon twitter account has made since the announcement has been crushed by replies from people against this (including ones that have nothing to do with Sword & Shield), the Youtube dislikes... I dunno. They're either going to have to make some sort of statement or just go full Federation Force nuclear with the Likes on Youtube or something.

grandjedi

Oct 25, 2017
No. There's a reason that Pokemon dominates lists of the best selling games of all time. At this point I doubt anything short term could have an impact on the juggernaut franchises like Pokemon and GTA. It would have to be a very long time decline.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Another example, Federation Force was hated completely online and got horrific YouTube metrics.

And then it released and bombed worse than basically every other Nintendo game ever made.

Oct 27, 2017
If you’ve followed Pokémon threads on this website, you know that they love to complain.

It’ll sell better than Let’s Go.

I’m more concerned about Shenmue III being up there. Battletoads will at least be on GamePass. Feels like there’s no safety net for Shenmue.

Another example, Federation Force was hated completely online and got horrific YouTube metrics.

And then it released and bombed worse than basically every other Nintendo game ever made.
I’m sure most people don’t even know what that game is at this point. Not really a great comparison.

Compare a widely hated game from a franchise that consistently finishes in the Top 10 in sales each year. That feels more genuine.

Feb 24, 2018
I wish.

Gamefreak will continue to get away with being horribly incompetent until the end of time because their games will always sell.

It's complete bullshit.
The big issue I've noticed is that Pokemon doesn't have to be concerned with directly competing with anything, no other game of it's kind (Mon RPG Quest Adventure) goes anywhere near in sells or recognition Pokemon, even Yo-Kai Watch which so far has been the best runner up. As such, the Pokemon mainline game have no reasons to improve or advanced because it has a defacto monopoly in it's on small part of the market.

The only way I can see change happening is if some game series did rise to make a challenge to give them a kick in the arse similar to how the Yo-Kai Watch anime did that to the Pokemon anime which resulted in a massive boost in quality.