• mjb over 4 years ago

mjb edited over 4 years ago
    The problem:

Collectors and sellers of singles (mainly those who tend to have a lot of "oldie" 45s in company/generic sleeves) frequently gripe in the forums about having to locate, open and pore over every release in a Master Release just to figure out if the item they have is in the database. The "Find Your Version" functionality on the larger MR pages is somewhat helpful, but many are unaware of it, and it does not go far enough to address users' needs.

What these users say they want is 1. for all song titles to be mandatory in the release title field, and 2. to split MRs by tracklist and format (e.g. all 7"s with a particular song pairing go in one MR, separate from other pairings and 12"s).

It's great that they are solution-oriented, but as I often point out in the forum, these changes would undermine the point of MR and of the release title field, and would have other drawbacks. What they are really just trying to work around a "display issue" on the website: the fact that tracklists are only visible on the individual release pages. These users want to see the tracklists in more places. It is not an unreasonable request.

A possible solution:

Although it would not solve all the complexities of release-title selection and MR grouping issues, the basic usability issue that these users complain about would be mostly resolved if they could simply see a tracklist for each release in a Master Release (MR) view, everywhere MRs are shown (i.e. on the artist, label, and MR pages).

To demonstrate the simplicity of this solution, I made a mock-up (click to view) earlier this year and mentioned it several times since then. People say they like it.

Of course, tracklists on MRs would not necessarily be something everyone wants. It would be pointless and resource-intensive to have this functionality on album MRs, for example. So I suggest it be made optional—click a button, and the browser fetches and adds the tracklists to the view. And, just have it be available on MRs which the system would be placing in the Singles & EPs category on artist pages.
  • Klass.Animal over 4 years ago

i support dis 200%!! great job/top improvment idea.

mjb
    Of course, tracklists on MRs would not necessarily be something everyone wants. It would be pointless and resource-intensive to have this functionality on album MRs, for example. So I suggest it be made optional—click a button, and the browser fetches and adds the tracklists to the view. And, just have it be available on MRs which the system would be placing in the Singles & EPs category on artist pages.
    same option than "Show Credits / Hide Credits" in tracks !
  • take22 over 4 years ago

good suggestion, would be useful indeed
  • cheebacheebakid over 4 years ago

Would love this on anything tagged as 7", 10" for sure.