Wkd Box Office - 6•21-23•19 - Woody Beating Chucky Is Child's Play, Toy Story Biggest Global Animated Movie Opening All Time

J_Viper

Oct 25, 2017
Finally caught Cap Marvel, thought it was quite mediocre.

Really liked Larson and Mendelsohn in their roles, and thought the material involving the latter took turns I didn’t expect, but the action and humor fell flat at every turn, and Goober Fury was really embarrassing to watch
Vemon is better than a handful of MCU films.
Better made? I’m not sure. More entertaining? Definitely.

Cpt-GargameL

Oct 27, 2017
I have seen a lot of bad posts in my time, but "Endgame shouldn't be compared to any other movie because it is special" has to be on the most absurd arguments I have ever heard. Not only that, but it was posted in a thread where the entire aim to analysis and compare movies' box office numbers. It'd be like walking into a NPD thread and saying, "You know we really can't compare game Y to other games because it is special." If you have an issue with data and analysis about movies, this thread isn't the place for you, full stop.
Word yo

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017

Really liked Larson and Mendelsohn in their roles, and thought the material involving the latter took turns I didn’t expect, but the action and humor fell flat at every turn, and Goober Fury was really embarrassing to watch

Yeah, I was more enterainted by it in comparsion to some MCU films.

Cpt-GargameL

Oct 27, 2017

Same but a lot of people here think "it's great" imo it's C tier of the MCU.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Guess I'll stick to watching Toy Story in regular 3D tomorrow... Annabelle and Apollo 11 are taking up IMAX screens, with Yesterday of all movies taking over Dolby showings... On the bright side, at least I get to catch Apollo 11 in IMAX.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
Cross posting from the other thread:

So since some people want analysis of legs, I updated the chart for the biggest opening weekends ever to see how the legs on Endgame compare domestically. Sadly, Toy Story 4 didnt hit the $150m threshold to get added. There is always Lion King.

6th worst multiplier. But hey, Civil War keeps its crown of worst MCU legs! And Endgame gonna scratch by Iron Man 3 if it ends at 842m.

2nd worst average weekend drop.

4th worst average weekly drop.

Truly historic "run" at the box office. It is really riding on the back of that monstrous opening weekend. After that it started performing below average for a giant opening.
Still a great achievement in the end.
If you look at raw dollars, it's still making more in the subsequent weeks than most of that list.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
If you look at raw dollars, it's still making more in the subsequent weeks than most of that list.
When it starts higher of course it will pull in more on similar drops. The point of it is comparing what percentage the films drop week to week compared to others that opened big.
It still made an obscene amount of money. The chart is just a comparison, or so we want to shift goalposts some more?

Edit: for eighth weekend Endgame is ranked 134th. 11 movies on that list had better holds this late in their run. That is just a cursory glance.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not moving goalposts, I'm merely reacting to the line " It is really riding on the back of that monstrous opening weekend."

It had the second-highest second weekend too. It's top 5 for 3rd and fourth weekends.

So while it had a bigger percentage dropoff than most of that list, it was also still making a shitton of money in weeks 2, 3 and 4.

It's the fifth and sixth weekend where it really plummets in the rankings.

I'm not a huge Endgame* stan but I find all the talk of "bad legs" pretty weird. It's sorta using its strength (huge opening weekend) against it. It's the second-highest grossing movie of all time, it just made more of that money early than most movies do.

* Not in my top 5 MCU movies, nowhere near the best comic book movie, and I'm on record as saying comic book movies have yet to reach "great cinema" levels.

Gentlemen

Oct 25, 2017
"Bad legs" is an unfair oversimplification of the charts Phoney posted, which mostly shows that a fair degree of front-loading is inevitable with that opening weekend and that the legs aren't anything special when compared to other follow-up entries in that list (see: Catching Fire vs. Hunger Games, Dark Knight vs Dark Knight Rises, etc).

That's all there is to it. Claiming Phoney is "trolling" or "removing context" or questioning motives is kind of missing the point

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
"Bad legs" is an unfair oversimplification of the charts Phoney posted, which mostly shows that a fair degree of front-loading is inevitable with that opening weekend and that the legs aren't anything special when compared to other follow-up entries in that list (see: Catching Fire vs. Hunger Games, Dark Knight vs Dark Knight Rises, etc).

That's all there is to it. Claiming Phoney is "trolling" or "removing context" or questioning motives is kind of missing the point
Thank you.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
I'm confused by the confusion.

The Force Awakens finished its run at about $950 million domestic. Endgame is looking to wrap up around $100 million domestic. So if we want to look at raw numbers, there's a potential $100 million worth of audiences that it failed to attract over its run, no matter how many saw it opening weekend.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly, which is why I said earlier that basing the "bad legs" conclusion on this chart is an oversimplification and misleading.

I'm not moving goalposts, I'm merely reacting to the line " It is really riding on the back of that monstrous opening weekend."

It had the second-highest second weekend too. It's top 5 for 3rd and fourth weekends.

So while it had a bigger percentage dropoff than most of that list, it was also still making a shitton of money in weeks 2, 3 and 4.

It's the fifth and sixth weekend where it really plummets in the rankings.

I'm not a huge Endgame* stan but I find all the talk of "bad legs" pretty weird. It's sorta using its strength (huge opening weekend) against it. It's the second-highest grossing movie of all time, it just made more of that money early than most movies do.

* Not in my top 5 MCU movies, nowhere near the best comic book movie, and I'm on record as saying comic book movies have yet to reach "great cinema" levels.
Again, spot-on.

This is what I argued for, in fact using the same exact word. Oversimplification.

X05

Oct 25, 2017
So, TS4 might not have set the US on fire, but it certainly did in Argentina and Uruguay.
- AR: sold 1.62M admissions over the OW. This is a larger opening than Endgame, and thus the largest in Argie history. Even if it was aided by June 20th being a holiday, it's some crazy shit, especially with the Winter Break in the horizon. Also Endgame, which finally made the all-time top 5, is very likely going to be kicked off of it.
- UY: 42k admission for its OW, almost as much as IW's 43k. This is impressive considering the winter break has't even started yet, so this one is going to do great here. Animated movies released at this time of the year tend to do great, so there's a high chance this one joins Endgame in the select 200k club (might even kick Endgame down to 9th all time).

And Endgame isn't special, which is exactly what the comparison shows.
I kinda disagree, having a Dom OW 38% larger than the previous record holder is quite special (plus the crazy WW one), and how fast it got to certain numbers is too (for now at least). And even if it didn't beat TFA Dom or Avatar WW, the fact that it got so close when most were expecting somewhere around IW numbers is quite commendable on it's own.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
“It just made more money earlier” which means it didn’t have the legs of others. That is the point of comparison.
I understand, but "bad legs" has become a thing people parrot as if Endgame didn't make more money after opening weekend than almost every movie ever. Your line " It is really riding on the back of that monstrous opening weekend" makes that sound even more like the case.

I know we tend to think of performance as OW and multiplier, but it can also be thought of as sell-through to potential audience. If Endgame didn't have that massive OW it might well have had better legs and ended up in a similar spot. Perhaps not, too, with competition-- but theaters went all-out to make it available to more people OW than ever before. So it's not a surprise that it ended up being more front-loaded.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017

The Force Awakens finished its run at about $950 million domestic. Endgame is looking to wrap up around $100 million domestic. So if we want to look at raw numbers, there's a potential $100 million worth of audiences that it failed to attract over its run, no matter how many saw it opening weekend.
Why use only domestic numbers?

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I kinda disagree, having a Dom OW 38% larger than the previous record holder is quite special (plus the crazy WW one), and how fast it got to certain numbers is too (for now at least). And even if it didn't beat TFA Dom or Avatar WW, the fact that it got so close when most were expecting somewhere around IW numbers is quite commendable on it's own.

That's not what he meant. He meant that there's no special reason Endgame should be measured or counted differently than other movies.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017

This is more where I am coming from. It's why TFA's domestic record matters. It was crazy.

OrangeAtlas

Oct 25, 2017
This is more where I am coming from. It's why TFA's domestic record matters. It was crazy.
Right, and that's why looking at the legs is important.

The monstrous opening tricked everyone into thinking that kind of momentum would last, suddenly the record was all but assured and $3 billion was even looking likely on the table. Even kswiss was on the hill ringing the bell and declaring The Russos the new box office kings. But once the next weekends starting hitting, it became clear the momentum was stalling and that wasn't the case.

We know Endgame isn't the ceiling because Force Awakens proved the potential can go higher, and, despite opening $100 million higher, it failed to match that.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not saying we shouldn't talk about legs, it was the focus on them that got me to reply. In the other thread it's sorta a rallying cry to dunk on Endgame fans.

I was in the BO threads saying the OW craze could well cut into the legs, since theaters weren't going to have 24-hour showings the second week, and that couldn't be sustained. The only question was how big a dropoff.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017

Cpt-GargameL

Oct 27, 2017
Leg wise, Endgame is the worst performing Avenger movie and that is definitely attributed to the fact that it had a huge opening weekend. Stating that it made more money than the movies on the list is irrelevant when discussing legs aka performance. Endgame did not perform as good as the majority of the list.

That's what legs are, performance, percentages. I don't get why this is being brought now as if it's a new revelation to tracking box office.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Leg wise, Endgame is the worst performing Avenger movie and that is definitely attributed to the fact that it had a huge opening weekend. Stating that it made more money than the movies on the list is irrelevant when discussing legs aka performance. Endgame did not perform as good as the majority of the list.

That's what legs are, performance, percentages. I don't get why this is being brought now as if it's a new revelation to tracking box office.
This simply is not true, as we can track relative performance in relation to the size of the opening. To put everything in a vacuum is innacurate at best and disingenuous at worst. Please don’t be needlessly reductive by omission. It creates an inaccurate perception (ie: end game was not well liked).

If you project forward from the kinds of legs that similarly large opening have, endgame isn’t likely to be a loser.

Cpt-GargameL

Oct 27, 2017
This simply is not true, as we can track relative performance in relation to the size of the opening. To put everything in a vacuum is innacurate at best and disingenuous at worst. Please don’t be needlessly reductive by omission. It creates an inaccurate perception.
So the percentages are inaccurate and or false? Ask any box office outlet or person who's career is in box office and see what they tell you. I'm stating facts based on what's available to us on websites that track the box office but yet you're telling me it's not true.

I feel like every BO thread here, every weekend it's something new.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (2 Weeks): Inflammatory false equivalencies and repeated history of antagonizing other members
So the percentages are inaccurate and or false? Ask any box office outlet or person who's career is in box office and see what they tell you. I'm stating facts based on what's available to us on websites that track the box office but yet you're telling me it's not true.

I feel like every BO thread here, every weekend it's something new.
You’re on some Fallacious Ben Shapiro ‘facts don’t care about your feelings’ kick while excluding or rather omitting/dismissing details relevant to the situation. You can absolutely state it’s OWX in a vacuum, you’re just painting a misleading picture by leaving it at that.

Or rather, being so ardent to that point.

Are you denying the observable trend of higher openers tending at having shorter legs?

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
You’re on some Fallacious Ben Shapiro ‘facts don’t care about your feelings’ kick while excluding or rather omitting/dismissing details relevant to the situation. You can absolutely state it’s OWX in a vacuum, you’re just painting a misleading picture by leaving it at that.

Are you denying the trend of higher openers having shorter legs?

It does seem a bit disingenuous to label Endgame's legs are either good or bad since we don't really have anything to compare it with. Right now the numbers are the numbers and until we have another film open with a $350M OW it's just kind of there on its own.

Cpt-GargameL

Oct 27, 2017

Are you denying the observable trend of higher openers tending at having shorter legs?

I've stated that that's the very reason Endgame hasn't been performing as good as the rest numerous times in these box office threads and even stated that because of its huge opening weekend it's legs would suffer. Others can attest to that and others have made that same point numerous times here.

But calling me Ben Shapiro is definitely a new one.

EN1GMA

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
This simply is not true, as we can track relative performance in relation to the size of the opening. To put everything in a vacuum is innacurate at best and disingenuous at worst. Please don’t be needlessly reductive by omission. It creates an inaccurate perception (ie: end game was not well liked).

If you project forward from the kinds of legs that similarly large opening have, endgame isn’t likely to be a loser.
I don't think many people are going to think the 2nd highest grossing film in history is not well liked. If they do that is on them and not on how the numbers are presented.

The way I see it is that Endgame had more hype and presales than any film before it. People wanted to see it and see it right away without being spoiled. It had a massive opening and a massive end total.

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Because that's what the chart is looking at?

You wanna look at worldwide go ahead, make a chart.
Ah, I failed to notice that, my apologies.

This is being brought to the table now because we just had a monstrously successful movie that did an abnormally large part of its business during its opening weekend compared to other blockbusters before. This in itself is noteworthy and perhaps an indication that blockbusters may be becoming more front-loaded and as such the current metrics used to determine legs may be inadequate to accurately describe a movie's performance, as you put it, and it needs updating. Actual dollar amounts should also be taken into consideration in my opinion.