Nintendo Switch Lite revealed for $199 - Launches September 20th (has a D-Pad, has gyro, no HD Rumble, no dock/TV output)

Which colour Nintendo Switch Lite is your favourite?

• Grey

Votes: 439 19.6%
  • Yellow

Votes: 492 22.0%
  • Turquoise

Votes: 841 37.5%
  • Pokémon Sword and Shield Edition

Votes: 468 20.9%

• Total voters

Prattle

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah, that would be great. I'd love to be able to migrate to and from the home device with something a little lighter to take on my commute.
For me it's that I don't want the kids breaking my Switch when out and about. But for them still to have the option to play on a big screen with sound system running at full pelt. 😂

Oct 25, 2017
The TV option was removed because :
- they don't have to pack in a dock that way
- the battery size was reduced, which means it's heating less in portable mode (which was the point) and would have been heating much more in docked mode (to the point of potentially being dangerous for the internals)
- that's not the point of this device

Oct 30, 2017
Biggest issue I have with it is the charging port being on the bottom. With it not being able to be docked, this is a bad design decision because it is much more uncomfortable to charge it while playing laying down.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
Whenever this drops down to $150ish it will be an instant buy for me for my daughter and it would be perfect for her. The no docking kinda sucks but like another person said if you were able to dock it then why would you get a regular Switch? The loss of rumble is not a big deal at all to me (I actually think its a plus, I don't care for any rumble) and I have never used any of the IR sensors for any game.

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Just saw a neat idea on Reddit:
IF the Lite could be paired with the regular Switch as an extra controller, we could have a controller with touch screen, Wii U style...

Of course it won't happen, but cool idea nevertheless.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
While I am not without my own biases, because I am one of these people, I think others will be surprised how popular this ends up among people who already own a Switch. I am one of those people who always felt the base Switch was "too big for a handheld" and didn't have the battery power to sufficiently replace my 3DS or Vita, which I played a great deal. But this? This is perfect. This is what I've always wanted.

My Base Switch will stay docked permanently. My Switch Lite will become my primary system. I suppose it's true that it undermines the entire gimmick of the device, but for me the gimmick was never the biggest selling point in the first place.

Like Nintendo says:

I do believe it will be a popular and appealing second option, even for people who already own a Switch. But that's just how I feel about it. I was always a Vita guy.
How easy is it going to be to transfer your saves from system to system? Is it going to be seamless?

lunch_box

Nov 5, 2017
People are seriously underestimating the importance of price. To a family with young children the approx. £100 difference in price between the OG switch and the lite is huge.

My boy has been pestering me for a switch but the thought of ponying up £280 for one xmas/birthday gift didn’t sit well. Now that I can get him one for £170-80ish is a game changer.

How many other families with children aged 5/6+ will be in the same position? I’d suggest a lot!

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Selling an extra dock for this would make no sense as you'd also need controllers and a charger for them. No dock mode is the best choice if there are no Joy-Cons.
If you intended to play certain games or access certain features, including local multiplayer, you're already forced to buy separate Joy-Cons for the Lite. Which hilariously, if I'm correct, will require you to purchase a dock anyways to charge them!

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Absolutely killer price, this thing is going to sell like absolute madness. We're in impulse range now.

I'll get this depending on how the whole cloud saving thing works. If I can keep my progress in games back and forth across these systems, then the lack of docking won't bother me. Honestly given how Nintendo has done things in the past, I have no clue if this will be the case and have to look into it.

Oct 26, 2017
The whole system sees a 38% decrease in power draw, so the only components they can really get better battery life out of is stuff like the SoC, Screen and RAM. overall some of these components are going to have to use even less than the 38% and I'd suggest the SoC is where they saved the most power, the 7.1 watt number I give is for the minimum brightness on the screen, which on the OG model, I'm estimating to be under a watt, so you can only save so much power draw there. The SoC uses somewhere around 4.5watts in the OG model, I'd have to guess that has been chopped in half here too, if the entire system is now only using around 4.5 watts.
Thanks! I'm still a little surprised that it looks like there's a fan in there if it's really handheld only.

Sedett

Jan 12, 2018
I only play in handheld mode and now I'm kind of regretting not waiting for this lite version.
And I don't understand why people are mad this is undockable? Do you want the normal Switch to be useless then.

Defuser

Oct 25, 2017
This is gonna sell hotcakes in Japan. Japan has always been a handheld country, $100 less and a smaller device? Fucking sold.

fepeinado

Feb 5, 2019
Err, what exactly is your opinion based on? Cos there isn't a handheld device out there the size of the Switch that can play a game as demanding as BOTW for 4 hours. Just ask anyone who plays games on an iphone etc.
I'm just saying a handheld should support more than 4 hours of gameplay. If BotW is a game on that system, it's their job to guarantee a good battery life for it. And again, that's my opinion: handhelds should have great battery life (and 4h is not)

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
still no word if this thing will run the games the same way as the regular switch in handheld mode?

If not, what does everyone think? It'll run the same or differently?

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Omg how many more people will point out that the name is wrong because it doesn't switch, we know, it's dumb to even think they would ditch the Switch branding at all, be real, this is what clearly makes most sense since they want to sell the thing.

Tommyguns

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
While I love the yellow and turquoise color from a look perspective..I’ll probably end up going with boring old grey. Purely because when playing a game, all the colors on the screen, etc will go better with the grey border and be less distracting.

Council Pop

Oct 27, 2017
I can get my son his own Switch, he only uses mine portable, he's going to be able to use it for 20-30% longer due to the better battery life, it's more robust and to boot, it's also smaller and lighter and will fit him better.

So no, it's not a terrible product. Look outside of your own bubble and see that just because it isnt for you doesnt make it a terrible product. It's not for me either since I use the hybrid aspect a lot but there's definately a good size market for this device and we're going to add one to our household since it's a good product for my son.
Your house is unusual in that you already have a Switch. Most people who purchase it won't already have a Switch in their home, so families who buy this are shutting themselves out of TV multiplayer in great family games like Mario Kart. It just seems like a shame.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
for me it's perfect, especially since i don't have a switch yet. was thinking that if i ever got a switch, i would exclusively play it in handheld mode.

dDASTARDLY

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is perfect for my 3 year old.

Until you've had to break up mutlipe fights between a 6 & a 3 year old because the younger one wants to play the same "tendo" as the older one...you know that this is joyous news!

Lothars

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My only issue is the no tv out, it will still sell but that seems like a mistake to not include tv out.

I only play in handheld mode and now I'm kind of regretting not waiting for this lite version.
And I don't understand why people are mad this is undockable? Do you want the normal Switch to be useless then.
The normal switch wouldn't be useless, It would still have the joycons and the bigger screen.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure what to think tbh. I love playing on portables - really love it, so that + the battery life improvement are big positives IMO, but then at the same time I'm not sure if I'd want to trade that out for losing the ability to dock, even though I hardly ever dock and play mostly in handheld mode.

RAWcolour

Dec 3, 2018
I love Switch, but every time I play something on the Vita I enjoy the handheld experience way more. I think this is a great addition and seems like a better form factor for handheld. Turquoise Gameboy Colour was my first ever console so that turquoise version really seals the deal for me.

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
Your house is unusual in that you already have a Switch. Most people who purchase it won't already have a Switch in their home, so families who buy this are shutting themselves out of TV multiplayer in great family games like Mario Kart. It just seems like a shame.
So they can buy the regular switch as the Lite is clearly not aimed at them.

BozoHarry

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh, Scotland.
The accounts need to have more flexibility.

If they don't have it already, they need to allow my daughter to have an account on the lite and on the main in the living room. An account where the games she has bought can be installed and licensed to play on both machine.

With speedy cloud saving facilities.
I'm pretty sure the Switch can already do this. My fiancee and I both have Switches, with both of our accounts on both consoles. I can play my games on either Switch, as long as I have internet connection on the "non-primary" console.

MXT

May 13, 2019
I dont think the video output option is still physically present in the hardware. The prolly saved a 50cents a unit taking it out or something nominal.

If not, every 3rd party dock that is not formfactor based would still work.
Nintendo could do three things:

1. Get Nvidia to remove video out support from the Tegra platform. This doesn’t make any sense to me as it is the most expensively way to disable HDMI and does not offer cost savings.

2. Not wire up USB-C display out/disable it in the USB-C controller firmware. This is possible and would save a few cents, but it would add complexity. The Switch is already non-standard as far as USB-C goes. Further deviations risk an ecosystem of non-compatible third party adapters and cables. Disabling alt display mode in firmware could solve their needs, but if they ever want to sell a dock in the future, they’d have to make that controller updatable + QA that update aggressively + generally add complexity for something that can be achieved with less work by....

3. Disabling HDMI out in software, in Horizon itself. This is probably what they did.