(Jackfrags) "Modern Warfare is a problem for Battlefield"

jot

Oct 25, 2017
Battlefield 4 was the last properly good BF game. (Although I did like Hardline - I suspect most people would disagree with me).

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
BF1 was disappointing coming from what BF games used to have, but the setting, polished gameplay and production values made it my most played BF game.

I want that but in a game with the same scale as BF used to be.

When someone uses the term "modern agenda", there are not that many ways to interpret it.
I thought that too, but it’s worth giving the benefit of the doubt that they didn’t come from places like the other forum or the chan sites.

Keasar

Oct 25, 2017
Skövde, Sweden
Battlefield 4 was the last properly good BF game. (Although I did like Hardline - I suspect most people would disagree with me).
I quite liked Hardline too. I loved the return of music radios which made things hilarious at times, it had a nice take on the Commander (Hacker) role that made it a bit more involved over BF4's take (but still not quite where it needed to be), the stuff like picking ammo/health from a player so you didn't have to rely completely on them actually being aware constantly, then the grappling hooks, ziplines and more.There was some fun to be had.

I thought that too, but it’s worth giving the benefit of the doubt that they didn’t come from places like the other forum or the chan sites.
Absolutely true, I will say though that after having to deal with that noise so much last year, it's been since kinda my default setting to be quite vary when hearing stuff like it in this context.

Kerotan

Oct 31, 2018
Battlefield needs to focus on itself. Take their time, make a good single player/ coop campaign, and launch with a proper amount of maps with better post launch support.

Vietnam setting so we can have jets, choppers and tanks. Then we are good to go.

Jul 15, 2019
I think it’s important to keep note that most youtubers who played the new cod at the event said the 20v20 mode was their least favorite as the map was way too big. The lack of mini map didn’t help that. That being said, if they manage what they already confirmed (50v50) that would be huge and great I’m assuming. As for battlefield, dice have no clue wtf they’re doing. Hopefully bad company 3 next year brings them back

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
The Battlefield franchise has strayed too far from what I want from the series, unfortunately. Last one I bought was 4, and back then I used to buy the base game on launch day as well as Premium as soon as it was available. Neither 1 or V did anything for me.... I'm waiting for that rumored Bad Company 2 remaster...

Tekku

Jan 10, 2018
Umeå, Sweden
My personal BF dream is a slow paced tactical shooter where you fight the environment as much as the players. Water slows you down a lot, mud will sometimes jam the gun, splinters from a blown tree can pierce you, strong winds can throw your parachute around and so on.

There also needs to be a greater expansion of the Conquest mode. Objective based capture points that hold more value than mere score. Capture an air traffic tower and get an extra air verhicle slot for your team, or maybe capture a gas station to give your vehicles more fuel. Something to spice things up that changes the dynamics a bit.

I believe ”dynamic” is the key word here. People love BF when it surprises them, make them laugh and lets them experiment. It feels like this has been lost with the recent titles and it’s time for them to bring the focus back.

SG-17

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You live under the rock. Check the reddit, check content creators, check BFV resetera thread. Measure the quantity of "historical accuracy" and "maps, content, bugs, design problems, matchmaking, cheaters" complains and you will see the realistic picture that the "historical accuracy" comments have been drowned ever since the release of the game.
Exactly. This complaining about incels being incels is just a convenient scapegoat for yourself because you don't want to admit for some reason you were never really interested in a WW2 game to begin with.

The "worst" I ever see is people complaining that there isn't a complete authentic British army uniform available as a cosmetic.

And to be frank, the reveal for BFV was the worst I've ever seen.

Oct 27, 2017
There also needs to be a greater expansion of the Conquest mode. Objective based capture points that hold more value than mere score. Capture an air traffic tower and get an extra air verhicle slot for your team, or maybe capture a gas station to give your vehicles more fuel. Something to spice things up that changes the dynamics a bit.
That is already in the game, although the vehicle slot control points are usually next to the spawn. Sinai Desert and Empire's Edge in BF1 had the right idea: far away, middle point which is the least important on its own, but it unlocks an extra plane for the owners.

psilocybe

Oct 27, 2017
For me COD being a problem for Battlefield is a problem for COD.

I'm not a fan of the more exaggerated animations, shorter time to kill and larger maps in MW. Let's see if my opinion changes with the open beta.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
I think it’s important to keep note that most youtubers who played the new cod at the event said the 20v20 mode was their least favorite as the map was way too big. The lack of mini map didn’t help that. That being said, if they manage what they already confirmed (50v50) that would be huge and great I’m assuming. As for battlefield, dice have no clue wtf they’re doing. Hopefully bad company 3 next year brings them back
Devs also said that build being played (by influencers in both private and public event) had bug where outlines for teammates didn't work. A lot of youtuber complaints came down to not being able to tell where team was and what was fought over. Having those outlines most likely fixes whole thing.

Minimap is just crux that you play instead of the game, hope they don't bend under influencer yelling.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
My personal BF dream is a slow paced tactical shooter where you fight the environment as much as the players. Water slows you down a lot, mud will sometimes jam the gun, splinters from a blown tree can pierce you, strong winds can throw your parachute around and so on.
This doesn't really enhance the experience after the first couple of times. Especially if your gun randomly jams. Why would you want that kind of gunplay in a multiplayer shooter?

whistleklik

Oct 27, 2017
Kentucky
The video is really good at telling what's wrong with current BF. Dice keeps screwing up and it's going to make fans or potential fans hesitant about the next BF. I look forward to the new CoD but I don't think they could ever replace BF.

Ohri-Jin

Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
The ditch of the mini map got me so intrigued. I mean that is ballsy!

Some gameplay didn’t impress me much and some excites me like the Zahir map. If I called that correctly.

Watching some random yt videos right now of the mp, JackFrags, Shroud etc.

It is interesting to say the least.

Keasar

Oct 25, 2017
Skövde, Sweden

I believe ”dynamic” is the key word here. People love BF when it surprises them, make them laugh and lets them experiment. It feels like this has been lost with the recent titles and it’s time for them to bring the focus back.
That part does actually exist to be fair, in BFV on some maps, certain objectives awards your team with extra vehicles.

Exactly. This complaining about incels being incels is just a convenient scapegoat for yourself because you don't want to admit for some reason you were never really interested in a WW2 game to begin with.

The "worst" I ever see is people complaining that there isn't a complete authentic British army uniform available as a cosmetic.

And to be frank, the reveal for BFV was the worst I've ever seen.
I was though? I quite liked the WW1 setting in BF1 and how crazy they went with the massive Battleship-esque Zeppelins, weird weapons that never were used and, though they never quite worked balance wise, the soldier kits like Sentry, Flamethrower etc. And I was looking forward to a WW2 game as well. Now, however, I don't. I am drained. I am tired. The incels have ruined all of that for me.

What people complain mostly about today is also what I complain about, you qouted all that in my very post before that he missed saying I was "under a rock". Let's be clear here, do you seriously not think we're gonna hear all this shit again if DICE announces another historical Battlefield game? Do you think that DICE is gonna close the can of player customization once more after FINALLY opening it after 17 years? That is here to stay, and if they show a screenshot of a US. woman in the Vietnam war, my god are we gonna hear some shrill shrieks again.

That is the part I am tired of. Fuck it. Not in my Battlefield. If it's gonna become a recurring thing I'd rather Battlefield just told history to fuck off. I'll rather have my sequel to BF2142 finally where DICE can just do whatever the fuck they want without constraints of fucking history.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
What people complain mostly about today is also what I complain about, you qouted all that in my very post before that he missed saying I was "under a rock". Let's be clear here, do you seriously not think we're gonna hear all this shit again if DICE announces another historical Battlefield game? Do you think that DICE is gonna close the can of player customization once more after FINALLY opening it after 17 years? That is here to stay, and if they show a screenshot of a US. woman in the Vietnam war, my god are we gonna hear some shrill shrieks again.

That is the part I am tired of. Fuck it. Not in my Battlefield. If it's gonna become a recurring thing I'd rather Battlefield just told history to fuck off.
Your next step for that discussion will be BFV: Pacific. Apparently DICE views armies just as "Axis" and "Allies" without any more meaningful divide than that. It means that in Pacific theater we should be seeing German and UK soldiers fighting alone Americans and Japanese soldiers in mass. We already basically have American soldiers taking part in battles before US entered war as DICE added US GI uniforms.

SG-17

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That part does actually exist to be fair, in BFV on some maps, certain objectives awards your team with extra vehicles.

I was though? I quite liked the WW1 setting in BF1 and how crazy they went with the massive Battleship-esque Zeppelins, weird weapons that never were used and, though they never quite worked balance wise, the soldier kits like Sentry, Flamethrower etc. And I was looking forward to a WW2 game as well. Now, however, I don't. I am drained. I am tired. The incels have ruined all of that for me.

That is the part I am tired of. Fuck it. Not in my Battlefield. If it's gonna become a recurring thing I'd rather Battlefield just told history to fuck off. I'll rather have my sequel to BF2142 finally where DICE can just do whatever the fuck they want without constraints of fucking history.
Who cares if we hear it? Those losers can screech into the void all they want, it doesn't mean jack shit.

DaciaJC

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah it's embarrassing that BFV has almost no customization
How is that embarrassing in a WWII-themed game? I would argue that right now, there's actually too much weapon customization in BFV - when 90 percent of players are equipping optics on everything from SMGs to heavy machine guns, gameplay is negatively affected.

If BFV would have featured maps like Stalingrad, D-Day, Operation Market Garden, Ivo Jima etc. It would have made no difference at all to these people. And it's because of them that I hate historical settings now. I was interested in it before, but all this shrieking whining and wailing from these assholes ruined it all and I never wanna see Battlefield ever attempt it again if it keeps them away.

This shit, wasn't complained about at all in the title just before BFV, or fuck, ANY of the titles before it cause goddamn was there some stupid shit going on in them:

This however:

"IMMERSIVE BREAKING!"
"NOT AUTHENTIC!"
"WOMEN!?"
"GAAAAH MY HISTORICAL ACCURACY!"

I hate these new BF fans...
What are you talking about? Plenty of people complained about the Elites and other stupid shit in BF1. The Arditi mission is practically a meme in the community for representing how loosely DICE played with the depiction of WWI.

Tekku

Jan 10, 2018
Umeå, Sweden
This doesn't really enhance the experience after the first couple of times. Especially if your gun randomly jams. Why would you want that kind of gunplay in a multiplayer shooter?
It might be a bad idea. If such a feature were to exist there would also need to be some kind of earned skill that could counter it. But if the pace is slower it’s only natural that you wouldn’t be as bothered when you are unable to shoot. At least that’s what I believe.

I personally like random elements and advanced mechanics in shooters. There needs to be a balance of course but there has been many times where I’ve felt that DICE have understimated players capabilities of handling more advanced mechanics and systems. I think BF holds a lot of potential in that regard. But as it stands the series has become predictable and a bit shallow.

Tovarisc

Oct 25, 2017
FIN
How is that embarrassing in a WWII-themed game? I would argue that right now, there's actually too much weapon customization in BFV - when 90 percent of players are equipping optics on everything from SMGs to heavy machine guns, gameplay is negatively affected.

What are you talking about? Plenty of people complained about the Elites and other stupid shit in BF1. The Arditi mission is practically a meme in the community for representing how loosely DICE played with the depiction of WWI.
I wish I could put 3x on MG42, maybe I would consider using it.

Who am I joking, no I wouldn't. BREN and KE7 achieve same effectiveness, gets scopes, can ADS when ever and are STG accurate to range.

Also apparently WW2 war stories also bend and misrepresent history quite a bit.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
A bit short sighted and overselling the player count. Battlefields moment to moment play just has a wildly different cadence from something like COD. And barring a COD dev being reckless they aren’t going to mess too much with how the core of COD plays.

The larger problem for Battlefield is Battlefield and EA themselves. They have done more to knock the shine off Battlefield than COD ever did.

Ohri-Jin

Jul 11, 2019
The Netherlands
If BFV would have featured maps like Stalingrad, D-Day, Operation Market Garden, Ivo Jima etc. It would have made no difference at all to these people. And it's because of them that I hate historical settings now. I was interested in it before, but all this shrieking whining and wailing from these assholes ruined it all and I never wanna see Battlefield ever attempt it again if it keeps them away.

They want "historical accuracy" and "authenticity":

There are options for them.

This shit, wasn't complained about at all in the title just before BFV, or fuck, ANY of the titles before it cause goddamn was there some stupid shit going on in them:

This however:

"IMMERSIVE BREAKING!"
"NOT AUTHENTIC!"
"WOMEN!?"
"GAAAAH MY HISTORICAL ACCURACY!"

I hate these new BF fans...
lol what you call stupid shit is just having some honest hot damn fun. It doesn’t have to correlate with historical accuracy.

The second is bad marketing. The marketing was so tacky they thought it was wise to put a British woman on the frontlines with a prosthetic arm.

• Since when are soldiers with prosthetic arms fit for duty?
  • British women weren’t on the frontlines but did fly airplanes in wartimes although also not on the Battlefield. I watched this amazing docu of female pilots. (On Netflix)
  • Why didn’t they focus on real women during ww2 as oppossed to this ricidulous focus on a woman with a hook arm smh.
It was the marketing’s team that effed up woth the focal point of the hook arm and all these things.

BF1 marketing spot on. Russian female soldiers were spot on.
BF5 they fumbled big time and then the CEO at the time Patrick Soderland basically said yeah don’t want then don’t buy it. Yall are uneducated.

Lastly but not least, BFV itself as a live service is an average product as in content tbh and a terrible live service.

All I play is Firestorm these days. And the bugs.. my God the bugs...

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
I doubt the historical accuracy controversy had much to do with bfv game success ( or lack of ). In the end it seem to have only amounted to the removal of a few cosmetics, which no one would be surprised to still see get released over time at some point at least as elite.
The fact that whatever % of the people who complained, did it for bad reason, thankfully didn't lead to any overreaction from Dice, both women and PoC are still very much in the game. I really don't see this as a proof that they should avoid any historical setting from now on.

That being said I really wouldn't be against them going for some alternate reality historical setting, quite a few people me included were excited by what people thought to be bf1 leak but was Iron Harvest art ( which I kickstarted, and sadly expect to have to ask for a refund when they finaly decide to reveal that they went EGS exclusive ).

Oct 27, 2017
I still hope one day we will get that prosthetic arm lady as an elite skin.
In the interviews before the launch of the game (after the announcement of applying the feedback about cosmetics), DICE said that the prosthetic arm was never planned for the game.

David Sirland answered that the game never actually featured those – they only remained in the first hotly debated trailer of the game.
It is a shitshow...

FarSightXR50

Jan 4, 2018
My biggest gripe with BFV is that it's not the WW2 Battlefield people were expecting after so many years.

People were expecting to have iconic battles (Berlin, Okinawa, Stalingrad, the Bulge, Normandy, Monte Cassino, El Alamein, Kursk, Dunkirk, Wake Island, etc.) with every major WW2 factions (USSR, USA, Japan, UK, Germany, Italy) and impressive graphics and atmosphere.

Instead, what we got is basically UK vs Germany fighting in lesser known battles from 1940 while DICE spent ressources on useless things like War Stories or Combined Arms. Who asked for this ?

And Grand Operations is a huge disappointment. It's inferior to BF1 Operations and vastly inferior to Galactic Assault in Battlefront II.

Oct 27, 2017
Instead, what we got is basically UK vs Germany fighting in lesser known battles from 1940 while DICE spent ressources on useless things like War Stories or Combined Arms. Who asked for this ?
There are entire games built on top of the single-player or co-op aspect of WW2: Sniper Elite, Brothers in Arms, Arma Mods. Co-op modes for the FPS games can be good: Zombies, Firefight, Horde, Spec-Ops etc.

Unfortunately, the bar for what is acceptable (let alone good) is just too high for DICE. Nobody wants bad games or components: we got no time or will to play them. The mission design of both single and co-op is just trash, just a step above playing CS bots. It is clear that DICE is never going to deliver anything worthwhile in single-player or co-op, so in this case, nobody should ask for them.

klik

Apr 4, 2018
They should take 3-4y pause with Battlefield and release Bad Company 3 in 2021 with all out destruction and other amazing nextgen things im sure they're capable of

Last edited:

Observable

Oct 27, 2017
I bought 2, loved it but skipped 3 due to a lack of time. Then went out and bought 4 and really loved it; was the only game I played for some time even though my friends didn't. My time with BF4 made me pre-order BF:1 with the all the premium packages (it was around €120 I think) which I normally never fall for, but I expected to play 1 for the same amount of time as I did with 4. However, when it released it just wasn't what I expected and not one moment I felt like I had the same fun that I had while playing BF4. As I saw that 5 was basically more of the same, I just skipped it again.

They really need to go all out for the next one and have the full package ready on launch. When I'm spending my money buying a game I don't care about modes coming out 6 months later if other titles have similar modes out right now. In potential Battlefield games are my dream games, but the theme and execution has just not been there for the last two games.

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
They should take 3-4 pause with Battlefield and release Bad Company 3 in 2021 with all out destruction and other amazing nextgen things im sure they're capable of
That would the wise thing to do but knowing ea combined with bf5’s lack luster performance they wil force the devs to push one out next year to ride on the next gen train.

SG-17

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My biggest gripe with BFV is that it's not the WW2 Battlefield people were expecting after so many years.

People were expecting to have iconic battles (Berlin, Okinawa, Stalingrad, the Bulge, Normandy, Monte Cassino, El Alamein, Kursk, Dunkirk, Wake Island, etc.) with every major WW2 factions (USSR, USA, Japan, UK, Germany, Italy) and impressive graphics and atmosphere.

And Grand Operations is a huge disappointment. It's inferior to BF1 Operations and vastly inferior to Galactic Assault in Battlefront II.
Like how do you have a WW2 Battlefield without Wake Island?

Oct 25, 2017
The scope of this new Call of Duty still seems smaller than that of Battlefield'[/B]s. I mean I doubt you'll get anything like the destruction, vehicle types and maps size, for instance, that Battlefield offers and 64 players is a good amount for the way Battlefield maps are designed in this era of the franchise. .
I mean there is ATVs on the map,
Blackout already added transport trucks, Humvee type jeeps and little bird type helicopters
Now MW will have stuff in the air as killstreaks such as Apache gunner, AC-130 gunner
with a 2 person APC on the ground as well

Azurik

Nov 5, 2017
Battlefield peaked with 4 and went gradually downhill. Doesn't take any FPS a lot these days to pose a risk to BF

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017
For as long as CoD stays as a static 'arena' shooter without squadplay and defined roles, it's not going to be stealing Battlefield's thunder or audience.

If anything I'd argue Battlefield is coming closer to resembling CoD than CoD resembling it. CoD seems to have rekindled some of its excitement with Modern Warfare, whilst Battlefield's charm has been waning since they began to neglect the IP's sandbox roots.

Battlefield steals battlefields thunder. Game is in a bad state

OutofMana

Oct 25, 2017
California
Having tried to get into CoD for the longest time and it just isn’t as fun as Battlefield for me. If CoD just turns into a better version of a Battlefield game then I’ll give it a shot. From what I’ve seen of the new game, it reminds me a lot of Rainbow Six Siege.