Ooblets will be exclusive to Epic Games Store on PC

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
i have this feeling that indie devs who might have a chance of getting their game financed by epic have no real interest in trying to understand peoples problem with the egs. i could be totally wrong though.
most don't, and thats honestly fine - just don't sit and lecture your buying audience on why EGS is better for the customer.

BrutalInsane

Nov 2, 2017
Man, these goofballs are really trying to make this ‘just another launcher’ thing stick.
i have this feeling that indie devs who might have a chance of getting their game financed by epic have no real interest in trying to understand peoples problem with the egs. i could be totally wrong though.
I think the poster is alluding to the fact that the guy is a scumbag.

ArnoldJRimmer

Aug 22, 2018
Which is why it's a defacto monopoly because it has a different definition. Which is something I've clearly tried to make a distinction between in my posts as well as the distinction that I was talking about the platform not the storefront.
And with all due respect if you still disagree and comment as if I'm talking about monopoly or that I am talking about the storefront then I do not think you understood my post or what defacto monopoly is.
It still doesn't fit that definition. In fact, the definition of de facto monopoly states that it's extremely unlikely to occur or be sustained in a free marketplace.

Steam is about 15% of the entire PC gaming software marketplace. How the hell is that a monopoly on anything?

Typically monopolies are also bad because of how they use their position to fuck over the consumer... except Steam, for the most part, is very prosumer in it's handling of most things. Contrast that with EGS, which is very much pro-EGS and publishers and not so much pro-consumer.

SilentStorm

Apr 14, 2019
Well, developers at the end start having a different perspective of the market and maybe some different views, they spend so much time making games and living their lives they really don't know as much about the small details of what is happening as they used to, to a point where many seem to genuinely be suprised that there are groups of people that hate EGS or that they don't know about the lack of Linux support, less payment options or actual inability for some people to buy games than they wouldn't have if the games were on Steam or GOG.

To them, it really is just a difference of icons, it's just one sometimes gives money and demands less out of them and thus they can't imagine why people wouldn't support such a store because it is helping them.

Looking at Tom Soret, he does say that after some comments, it gave him something to think about, and seeing as there are comments about the original Ooblets post coming from someone who didn't really understand all the EGS hatred, it just makes me think, like i said, that once you become a developer, you have less time to know everything and you get a different perspective than what costumers have.

Also, looking at some posts made by the other developer on Discord thanks to some posts here, it seems they aren't completely bad, still feels like there were some cases where they were rude to people who were just discussing things rationally by treating them as if they were acting like the worst of the internet, but that could just be someone not looking at things carefully or letting emotions take the best of them.

ArnoldJRimmer

Aug 22, 2018
Well, developers at the end start having a different perspective of the market and maybe some different views, they spend so much time making games and living their lives they really don't know as much about the small details of what is happening as they used to, to a point where many seem to genuinely be suprised that there are groups of people that hate EGS or that they don't know about the lack of Linux support, less payment options or actual inability for some people to buy games than they wouldn't have if the games were on Steam or GOG.

But this particular dev has been informed about this... they still don't care and continue to rudely dismiss concerns.

Zefah

Oct 25, 2017
Nice meme.

Every single Western AAA publisher still supported PC gaming: Activision, Ubisoft, EA, Warner, 2k. At no point you were missing multi-platform games (unless Sony/MS bought them): Bioshocks, CODs, Battlefields, NFS, Batman, Crysis etc. Nobody was leaving the platform... Studios were still making PC exclusive MMOs, Blizzard was still not interested in console and you still had the array of RTS games like Dawns of War, Starcraft, Coh, Heroes, Battleforge etc.

Please don't use the lord gaben PC savior meme as a serious argument.
You are either horribly misinformed or just a good plain old liar. There’s no way you played on PC back in those days...

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Wow this whole EGS debacle has really demonstrated the sense of entitlement some gamers have. All this hate because some indie devs. wanted a little job security,
most don't, and thats honestly fine - just don't sit and lecture your buying audience on why EGS is better for the customer.
When did they do this? i recall them explaining how it was better for the game (less compromises) and the studio (more job security)...i dont recall them suggesting EGS was "better" or "worse" than any other digital store front, only that their game and studio would personally benefit from a deal with EGS, i could be wrong however as i haven't followed every single development since the initial announcement.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017

looks like tim soret of "the last night" fame also thinks egs is just another icon you have to click an nothing else
don't be surprised if the last night also becomes a egs exclusive
At this point I'm annoyed enough to blacklist all of these devs. My backlog is hopelessly long anyways.

I don't begrudge a developer for taking cash placed in front of them. I won't buy their game on EGS but someday perhaps I'll grab it on Steam sale, a bundle, PSN+, etc.. But the asshats that want to come out to assist with circling the wagons can fuck right off.

Keep that disdain for your customers behind the scenes please. I'm not going to eat at a restaurant where everyone openly hates its customers and I'm not going to buy your nonsense either.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Wow this whole EGS debacle has really demonstrated the sense of entitlement some gamers have. All this hate because some indie devs. wanted a little job security,

When did they do this? i recall them explaining how it was better for the game (less compromises) and the studio (more job security)...i dont recall them suggesting EGS was "better" or "worse" than any other digital store front, only that their game and studio would personally benefits from a deal with EGS, i could be wrong however as i haven't followed every single development since the initial announcement.
Unfortunately you are wrong. About a lot of things. From starting with entitlement or "hating" them for job security.

They are and continue to be very antagonistic as well.

Cecil

Oct 25, 2017
Wow this whole EGS debacle has really demonstrated the sense of entitlement some gamers have. All this hate because some indie devs. wanted a little job security
Nice drive by post there. Hope you feel good about it, but it's doesn't contribute much when you post that on page 54, and show no understanding for what the discussion has been about.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Unfortunately you are wrong. About a lot of things. From starting with entitlement or "hating" them for job security.

They are and continue to be very antagonistic as well.
People keep saying that but i haven't really seen anything that couldn't be interpreted in a different way. Its easy to paint everything in a negative light if you already have a preconceived us vs them mentality which appears to be the case in this situation....but if you can demonstrate to me how this is so (rather than just say "Nope") id be happy to take a look.

Lakeside

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying that but i haven't really seen anything that couldn't be interpreted in a different way. Its easy to paint everything in a negative light if you already have a preconceived us vs them mentality which appears to be the case in this situation....but if you can demonstrate to me how this is so (rather than just say "Nope") id be happy to take a look.
So you're "just asking questions" then?

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
That's fine I'm sure there's a lot of things I don't know about people. I'm not one to go looking for shit to be offended by b/c there are too many assholes and not enough time in the day.

I'd never heard of this guy or his game until today.
Have you heard of the phrase "milkshake duck"? If yes, that dude's half the reason why.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Nice drive by post there. Hope you feel good about it, but it's doesn't contribute much when you post that on page 54, and show no understanding for what the discussion has been about.

lol ive been commenting in this thread since page 9 (of 54 for me) but okay....i like the part where you didn't really respond to anything i actually said as well.. super constructive.....if my post was a driveby than yours is just straight up shit.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
You have 54 pages of discussion that will help you out. But if you need video form this is a decent one to watch

I don't have an us vs them mentality in the slightest and I can see how antagonistic they are being.

And frankly why was it a good idea of them to of all things to throw gas on a fire in the first place.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Well this turned into a rather spectacular shit show. I've followed the game since it was available to wishlist on Steam, and was checking in on it now and then.
Justifiably, I have major issues with Epic's Store on such a ridiculous level that they have some how consistently gotten worse, even missing their own planned development goals, and therefore refuse to purchase from them. As usual, I take a look at the choices / reasoning from indies in particular, and one would imagine it can be a no brainer choice for indie developers facing large risk.
However the sheer candour of argument and dismissal of their potential customers thoughts, just make me feel they don't deserve my support, period.
As always, the great thing for those refusing to buy a game they had intention to buy should it have been on a competent store - is that the ecosystem is thriving with high quality games competing for customers money and time

Spyware

Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
To them, it really is just a difference of icons, it's just one sometimes gives money and demands less out of them and thus they can't imagine why people wouldn't support such a store because it is helping them.
This is what I have come to understand by rereading everything I have a problem with. "EGS/Epic practices" seems like they have decided to interpret as "Epic giving some devs loads of money and therefore stability and support."
So opposing the "EGS/Epic practices" means that you are being anti-dev and don't support the little guy. This is a very unfortunate interpretation. It also means they don't actually listen to the people trying to explain what they are actually against.

I could be wrong, this is absolutely just my subjective take on it, but this view of it makes a lot of the responses make a lot more sense (the "you wouldn't like the game" ones for example).

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017

Just

Wow.

What a way to kill your cute little game, with some headassery

In my black Twitter voice fuck them niggas
What the actual fuck.... This just gets worse and worse. Fuck these devs. But will people carry this story of the dev's fucked up actions and then doubling down? It hurts the Pro-EGS narrative. Quite a conundrum for the gaming press.

Cecil

Oct 25, 2017
lol ive been commenting in this thread since page 9 (of 54 for me) but okay....i like the part where you didn't really respond to anything i actually said as well.. super constructive.....if my post was a driveby than yours is just straight up shit.
It's an impressive feat if you have been posting in this thread since page 9, but still hasn't grasped that the discussion is about more then a developer "just wanting a bit of security".

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You have 54 pages of discussion that will help you out. But if you need video form this is a decent one to watch

I don't have an us vs them mentality in the slightest and I can see how antagonistic they are being.

And frankly why was it a good idea of them to of all things to throw gas on a fire in the first place.

Like i said, everything they said (pointed out by Jim in that video) could easily be interpreted in the worse possible way. I'm not trying to argue that their PR has been great, i agree with you when you say they shouldn't be throwing more gas on the fire...In situations like this i feel like less talk is best talk... but it appears clear to me that anything they would/could have said would have resulted in a negative response. As a result we have ended up in a scenario where this small indie team who's only concerns appear to be, A) Not compromising their game and B) Future job security, is forced to attempt to preemptively combat the hate their game will inevitable receive by being exclusive to the EGS. If the climate around EGS were different, perhaps the announcement could have simply been "we are going to be exclusive to EGS because it will mean more job security and less compromise for our games, in order to play ooblets you will need to download the EGS client" and nothing else. Instead, since they foreshadow this huge negative response, they are forced to try and come up with this elaborate way of announcing the exclusivity and responding to criticism which in turn has become a sell fulfilling prophecy. If the discussions surrounding the EGS were more mature i doubt this would be the case.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Let's be real, EGS is a red herring at this point. The real heart of the matter is the dev's own toxicity which has not only continued for multiple days, but has now included disseminating ableist memes.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
User Banned (3 days) - Trolling over a series of posts
It's an impressive feat if you have been posting in this thread since page 9, but still hasn't grasped that the discussion is about more then a developer "just wanting a bit of security".
And yet you've still failed to point anything out to me...

Please play only one of these cards.
The thread started about the announcement the ooblets developers made...thats what it was when i entered.... now its evolved into what they've said on twitter, in discord channels for all i know we are at the point where we are criticizing their confessions at church...

Another handful of quality shitposts.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Like i said, everything they said (pointed out by Jim in that video) could easily be interpreted in the worse possible way. I'm not trying to argue that their PR has been great, i agree with you when you say they shouldn't be throwing more gas on the fire...In situations like this i feel like less talk is best talk... but it appears clear to me that anything they would/could have said would have resulted in a negative response. As a result we have ended up in a scenario where this small indie team who's only concerns appear to be, A) Not compromising their game and B) Future job security, is forced to attempt to preemptively combat the hate their game will inevitable receive by being exclusive to the EGS. If the climate around EGS were different, perhaps the announcement could have simply been "we are going to be exclusive to EGS because it will mean more job security and less compromise for our games, in order to play ooblets you will need to download the EGS client" and nothing else. Instead, since they foreshadow this huge negative response, they are forced to try and come up with this elaborate way of announcing the exclusivity and responding to criticism which in turn has become a sell fulfilling prophecy. If the discussions surrounding the EGS were more mature i doubt this would be the case.
Your right they could and were interpreted as negative and here we are.

Someone in this thread pointed to another situation in which a Dev came out and said they were going EGS exclusive and it had a few people upset but it mostly faded out as a small thread.

This game is not some powerhouse AAA IP with millions of followers and yet it created a bigger rift that I have seen for any other accounted epic title so far.

Words and tone matter. Context matters.

The developers started and continued to be immature but that's not the responders fault.

They were never forced to come out swinging against a backlash they 'assumed' was coming.

1000% H

Oct 25, 2017
The thread started about the announcement the ooblets developers made...thats what it was when i entered.... now its evolved into what they've said on twitter, in discord channels for all i know we are at the point where we are criticizing their confessions at church...

Another handful of quality shitposts.
Have a wonderful life.

And FYI, for everyone else who actually feels like discussing the events that have actually taken place, they still have their precious Reese's Puffs on their Twitter and it's been long enough to say they're certainly standing by it. They know what it is now and they're keeping it.

Jarhab

Jul 26, 2019
If they knew that EGS exclusivity would piss off customers, they could have just rejected it. Crazy, I know, but there are some devs out there who care about customers more than instant paydays. But if they had to accept it for whatever reason, they could made the announcement and explained why without being sarcastic or condescending. Other devs have done that so it's not an impossible feat. Customers would still get angry but it wouldn't blow up into the shitshow that we're seeing now.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Your right they could and were interpreted as negative and here we are.

Someone in this thread pointed to another situation in which a Dev came out and said they were going EGS exclusive and it had a few people upset but it mostly faded out as a small thread.

This game is not some powerhouse AAA IP with millions of followers and yet it created a bigger rift that I have seen for any other accounted epic title so far.

Words and tone matter. Context matters.

The developers started and continued to be immature but that's not the responders fault.

They were never forced to come out swinging against a backlash they 'assumed' was coming.
I agree for the most part, i would argue the response has been equally as immature as the announcement and subsequent damage control but ultimately I feel like way more is being made of this situation than is necessary.

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
I agree for the most part, i would argue the response has been equally as immature as the announcement and subsequent damage control but ultimately I feel like way more is being made of this situation than is necessary.
If you mean in terms of toxic posting? I agree.

If you mean in terms of having disagreement? It just means people are feeling passionate about how Epic conducts business and some feeling they are being spoken down to.

Shogun

Oct 27, 2017
Have a wonderful life.

And FYI, for everyone else who actually feels like discussing the events that have actually taken place, they still have their precious Reese's Puffs on their Twitter and it's been long enough to say they're certainly standing by it. They know what it is now and they're keeping it.
This is why it's disappointing to see a developer many held in high regard on here try and defend this guy by handwaving certain posts and talk about doctored images. Honestly makes me regret picking up the games he's involved with and I would refund if I could.

Gankzymcfly

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
If you mean in terms of toxic posting? I agree.

If you mean in terms of having disagreement? It just means people are feeling passionate about how Epic conducts business and some feeling they are being spoken down to.
Yea Im just talking in terms of the toxicity, it doesn't seem like you can have an actual conversation about the situation without being labeled one way or the other. I personally don't have a strong stance either way, i dont love EGS but don't hate it and I understand the frustration of some, like those who don't have access to EGS in their region. That being said, it does feel like a handful of people (not everybody) are just coming to threads like these to dog pile and don't necessarily add anything constructive to the conversation, which as a result only continues to perpetuate the negativity. And to be clear these individual exist on both sides so im not trying to single any group out.

LewieP

Oct 26, 2017

I'm pretty sure most developers and players on or using Steam see it as a bridge rather than as "fortifications".

True Prophecy

Oct 28, 2017
Yea Im just talking in terms of the toxicity, it doesn't seem like you can have an actual conversation about the situation without being labeled one way or the other. I personally don't have a strong stance either way, i dont love EGS but don't hate it and I understand the frustration of some, like those who don't have access to EGS in their region. That being said, it does feel like a handful of people (not everybody) are just coming to threads like these to dog pile and don't necessarily add anything constructive to the conversation, which as a result only continues to perpetuate the negativity. And to be clear these individual exist on both sides so im not trying to single any group out.
It's the reason the other thread exists to talk about that specific issue.

Nuance has felt dead for a while now.