The Black Eagles is the most popular house in Fire Emblem

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
claude is my favorite of the 3 heirs, but I chose black eagles because i like the other characters in that house the best

not sure which house I'll do on my second playthrough

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Choose Blue Lions today. We got:

Dedue. Best dad. Amazing cook, will protecc with his life.

Mercedes. Sweetest mom. Always looking out for everyone.

Ashe. Nicest little brother. Honorable and helpful, has a big heart.

Annette. Cutest little sister. Super smart, funny, a hard worker.

Ingrid: Sensible aunt. Responsible, noble, keeps everyone from getting too crazy.

Sylvain: Drunk uncle. Acts like an idiot and hits on every woman in sight... he ain't bad tho.

Felix: Bitter grandpa. Hates the world and swears at everyone, but strong and will easily kill anyone who steps on his lawn without hesitation.
I chose Blue Lions and this is a great summary lol

NSESN

Oct 25, 2017
All of the people dunking on her in here don't seem to realize every route makes the other house leaders look worse than the one you picked. I haven't even done Black Eagles, but I can tell from how much people love Edelgard that what I saw of her in my Golden Deer playthrough isn't all there is to her. Hell, I barely even know ANYTHING about Dimitri because of my choice of path, but I'm not going to call him boring.

Plus, like I've said before, minimizing her character, motivations, and story down to "lol waifu am I funny yet" is super degrading and regressive when she's definitely one of the strongest female characters Nintendo's put in a game, at least in recent memory, and she isn't even sexualized or anything like that.

Did Lucina get treated this way by the fanbase too? Or is it a post-Fates kind of thing to say.
I am playing her route, and I still don't agree with some of her choices
Like lying for the rest of the Strike Force to make the church look more evil
I think a lot of her fans give her a pass for the things she committed
Also Claude is incredible no matter the route

Last edited:

NSESN

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine reducing a character as complex as Edelgard to "waifu" just because she's a woman. Smh.
My problem is that I don't think she is that complex or even unique.
She is basically the red emperor of this game, but playable. She is morally grey yes, but her motivations are easy to understand and done before in the series

psychbat

Oct 25, 2017

Ingrid: Sensible aunt. Responsible, noble, keeps everyone from getting too crazy.

Sylvain: Drunk uncle. Acts like an idiot and hits on every woman in sight... he ain't bad tho.

Felix: Bitter grandpa. Hates the world and swears at everyone, but strong and will easily kill anyone who steps on his lawn without hesitation.
Best house

Abstrusity

Oct 27, 2017
Edelgard is the only true path. Better a God Empress than an incel, a schemy boy, or
literal lizard people.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
All of the people dunking on her in here don't seem to realize every route makes the other house leaders look worse than the one you picked. I haven't even done Black Eagles, but I can tell from how much people love Edelgard that what I saw of her in my Golden Deer playthrough isn't all there is to her. Hell, I barely even know ANYTHING about Dimitri because of my choice of path, but I'm not going to call him boring.

Plus, like I've said before, minimizing her character, motivations, and story down to "lol waifu am I funny yet" is super degrading and regressive when she's definitely one of the strongest female characters Nintendo's put in a game, at least in recent memory, and she isn't even sexualized or anything like that.

Did Lucina get treated this way by the fanbase too? Or is it a post-Fates kind of thing to say.
From my perspective playing through she seems almost sociopathic, not sure if its the localization or what.

HeroR

Dec 10, 2017
Golden Deer have Claude, but thats about it

Black Eagles get Caspar, the cutest boy, and then also the far and away best female designs in Dorothea, Petra, and Edelgard

so good

says the nerds
Golden Deer also has Lysithea and Marianne who has one of my favorite designs.

Overall, went with Black Eagles, but I plan to do Golden Deer when I replay. Blue Lion is the house I'm least interested in, but I feel guilty since Edelgard and Dimitri are completely screwed up without your avatar to guide them, while Claude can live and be stable without your help.

woopWOOP

Oct 26, 2017
Black Eagles feels like the middle of the trio, the canon / intended choice to me, if that makes sense.
Kinda like how Awakening was really pushing the Chrom - Sumia ship.

Which is why I'm least interested in playing them, lol.

After I finished my initial Golden Deer playthrough I'll probably play Blue Lions, then call it quits. The only students I recruit are red house ones for that reason, that way I don't feel like I'm missing out that much!

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Black Eagles feels like the middle of the trio, the canon / intended choice to me, if that makes sense.
Kinda like how Awakening was really pushing the Chrom - Sumia ship.

Which is why I'm least interested in playing them, lol.

After I finished my initial Golden Deer playthrough I'll probably play Blue Lions, then call it quits. The only students I recruit are red house ones for that reason, that way I don't feel like I'm missing out that much!
There's a fourth route. Even if you're adamant about not going with Edelgard 9which is really dumb), you should still at least do the other route.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I am playing her route, and I still don't agree with some of her choices
Like lying for the rest of the Strike Force to make the church look more evil
I think a lot of her fans give her a pass for the things she committed
Also Claude is incredible no matter the route
My problem is that I don't think she is that complex or even unique.
She is basically the red emperor of this game, but playable. She is morally grey yes, but her motivations are easy to understand and done before in the series
Basically my thoughts. BE was my first playthrough and whilst I ended up liking the characters I personally found Edel's reasoning for
starting a fucking war that lasts at least half a decade (seriously I feel this is taken too lightly when people discuss this, not to mention aligning with and aiding terrible people to accomplish good things doesn't magically make it morally ok)
was pretty poorly thought out and overall unconvincing.

woopWOOP

Oct 26, 2017
There's a fourth route. Even if you're adamant about not going with Edelgard 9which is really dumb), you should still at least do the other route.
I'm guessing that's the perfect true ending route? Despite Fates I didn't figure that was gonna be an option here too, ha

I feel like I only have enough energy in me to do two playthroughs in a row so I gotta make choices. I'll likely pick red house when I do yet another replay years later.

ShadowAUS

Feb 20, 2019
Australia
I'm guessing that's the perfect true ending route? Despite Fates I didn't figure that was gonna be an option here too, ha

I feel like I only have enough energy in me to do two playthroughs in a row so I gotta make choices. I'll likely pick red house when I do yet another replay years later.
Nah not a true ending, it's basically a copy of one of the other routes with some character changes, the final battle changed and a different ending.

Edit: I do think it's the most "canon" route though and the one that makes the most sense to continue on from if they make a direct sequel.

Redcrayon

Zoinks!
Oct 27, 2017
UK
A lot of the problem with understanding motivations is that each route only gives you certain information, and both Rhea and Edelgard outright lie, omit or mislead about the greater amount of info and culpability they have than both Byleth and the player themselves. I’ve almost finished both BE routes now, and, following Edelgard:
It’s clear that Rhea is a totalitarian mad god with a centuries-long grudge that demands worship or death. She torched a previous civilisation that wouldn’t worship her mother, and is now keeping humanity chained by both social control/a noble caste system through the crests and a military deadlock she manipulates. Ironically (considering the whole ‘noble/crest’ obsession), only the Emperor’s bloodline has the info that she’s lying about Nemesis and the entire mythology. Rhea even demands you murder your student in front of her, and is about to tear your heart out if you refuse.

However, follow the church and:
Rhea omits to mention her past genocidal acts, while the mid-game cut scene shows her as a heroic, benevolent dragon-warrior bravely fighting against the odds. Edelgard is obviously depicted as an evil aggressor, and at no point do either her or Hubert even try to tell their classmates what they believe is the truth. Which is that they think it’s worth plunging the continent into a war over just to rid Fodlan of Rhea’s schemes to control humanity forever through the importance of a noble caste system. Rhea’s actions are a far more insidious form of evil over centuries, but it’s a stable one by design. Whether that’s worth fighting against at a cost of massive destabilisation is left up to the player to decide, but one playthrough deliberately doesn’t really give enough context.

Whichever BE path you choose, and you have so little info to go on, the game salves your conscience by making it clear the other leader is an absolute monster hell-bent on either destruction or eternal manipulation in the guise of freedom. It’s determined to make the player feel justified in hating the opposition as they cross moral threshold after moral threshold, happily
torching cities and turning their own people into monsters
to try and stop you. Only by playing multiple routes can you cross-check stuff and see how much you’ve either not been told or been misled over.

Last edited:

Usyren

Oct 26, 2017
No surprise.
Female Lord + the house that was front and center for most trailers + Dorothea (#1 most used unit going by online stats. The Tharja/Camilla of this game.)

Kaz Mk II

Oct 27, 2017

Fucking THIS

Blue lions is like a comfy family. I love these dummies.
Even if things get real dark and brutal towards the Timeskip.

Last edited:

HeroR

Dec 10, 2017
A lot of the problem with understanding motivations is that each route only gives you certain information, and both Rhea and Edelgard outright lie, omit or mislead about the greater amount of info and culpability they have than both Byleth and the player themselves. I’ve almost finished both BE routes now, and, following Edelgard:
It’s clear that Rhea is a totalitarian mad god with a centuries-long grudge that demands worship or death, keeping humanity chained by both social control through the crests and a military deadlock she manipulates. Only the Emperor has the info that she’s lying about Nemesis and the entire mythology. Rhea even demands you murder your student in front of her, and is about to tear your heart out if you refuse.

Rhea omits to mention her past genocidal acts, while the mid-game cut scene shows her as a benevolent dragon-warrior bravely fighting against the odds.

Whichever BE path you choose, and you have so little info to go on, the game salves your conscience by making it clear the other leader is an absolute monster hell-bent on either destruction or eternal manipulation in the name of freedom. Only by playing multiple routes can you cross-check stuff and see how much you’ve either not been told or been misled over.
This basically.

There is no 'canon' route, just What Ifs with each story giving you new insight and a more complete view of what is happening. No side have the full story and no one is really sitting pretty. Your character curve some of the worst aspects of your Lord outside of Claude since without you to guide them, several characters go off the rails.

Balfour

Oct 25, 2017
This basically.

There is no 'canon' route, just What Ifs with each story giving you new insight and a more complete view of what is happening. No side have the full story and no one is really sitting pretty. Your character curve some of the worst aspects of your Lord outside of Claude since without you to guide them, several characters go off the rails.
Yeah everyone wants to paint a "canon route" which none of them are. They want you to play all of them to get the full picture of the lore. And I doubt they gonna say "this house is the canon one" knowing what it would cause. The only "canon" thing I could see is them making a DLC route where everyone works together ala Fates' 3rd path. Which I can't see them doing

Its really up to the player to pick their favorite route.

flare

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It’s clear that Rhea is a totalitarian mad god with a centuries-long grudge that demands worship or death, keeping humanity chained by both social control through the crests and a military deadlock she manipulates. Only the Emperor has the info that she’s lying about Nemesis and the entire mythology. Rhea even demands you murder your student in front of her, and is about to tear your heart out if you refuse.

Rhea omits to mention her past genocidal acts, while the mid-game cut scene shows her as a heroic, benevolent dragon-warrior bravely fighting against the odds. Edelgard is obviously depicted as an evil aggressor, and at no point do either her or Hubert even try to tell their classmates what they believe is the truth. Which is that it’s worth plunging the continent into a war over just to rid Fodlan of Rhea’s schemes to control humanity forever through the importance of a noble caste system. Rhea’s actions are a far more insidious form of evil, but it’s a stable one by design. Whether that’s worth fighting against at great cost is left up to the player to decide, but one playthrough deliberately doesn’t really give enough context.

Whichever BE path you choose, and you have so little info to go on, the game salves your conscience by making it clear the other leader is an absolute monster hell-bent on either destruction or eternal manipulation in the name of freedom. It’s determined to make the player feel justified in hating the opposition as they cross moral threshold after moral threshold, happily
torching cities and turning their own people into monsters to try and stop you
. Only by playing multiple routes can you cross-check stuff and see how much you’ve either not been told or been misled over.
This is also true.

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Personally I am doing Black Eagles last because

It is the only route with a split.

Other than that the reason the Black Eagles are popular is due to marketing. However my boy Claude is clearly superior.

HeroR

Dec 10, 2017
Yeah everyone wants to paint a "canon route" which none of them are. They want you to play all of them to get the full picture of the lore. And I doubt they gonna say "this house is the canon one" knowing what it would cause. The only "canon" thing I could see is them making a DLC route where everyone works together ala Fates' 3rd path. Which I can't see them doing

Its really up to the player to pick their favorite route.
I can see them doing a Golden Ending route as a final DLC, while not presenting is the 'true ending'. Just another What If if the Lords got their act together and stop trying to kill one another.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
I was originally planning to go Black Eagles, but after talking to everyone at the start of the game, I wasn't too drawn to Edelgard's personality. I decided to go Blue Lions, and no regrets so far!

hanshen

Jun 24, 2018
It’s clear that Rhea is a totalitarian mad god with a centuries-long grudge that demands worship or death, keeping humanity chained by both social control/a noble caste system through the crests and a military deadlock she manipulates. Only the Emperor has the info that she’s lying about Nemesis and the entire mythology. Rhea even demands you murder your student in front of her, and is about to tear your heart out if you refuse.

Rhea omits to mention her past genocidal acts, while the mid-game cut scene shows her as a heroic, benevolent dragon-warrior bravely fighting against the odds. Edelgard is obviously depicted as an evil aggressor, and at no point do either her or Hubert even try to tell their classmates what they believe is the truth. Which is that it’s worth plunging the continent into a war over just to rid Fodlan of Rhea’s schemes to control humanity forever through the importance of a noble caste system. Rhea’s actions are a far more insidious form of evil over centuries, but it’s a stable one by design. Whether that’s worth fighting against at a cost of massive destabilisation is left up to the player to decide, but one playthrough deliberately doesn’t really give enough context.

Whichever BE path you choose, and you have so little info to go on, the game salves your conscience by making it clear the other leader is an absolute monster hell-bent on either destruction or eternal manipulation in the name of freedom. It’s determined to make the player feel justified in hating the opposition as they cross moral threshold after moral threshold, happily
torching cities and turning their own people into monsters to try and stop you
. Only by playing multiple routes can you cross-check stuff and see how much you’ve either not been told or been misled over.
Not to mention the early missions pre timeskip have you and your students act as hitman for the central church in its power struggle. I get a sense that most people in power in this game are lying.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
It's a terrible idea to have players choose a house that early on, with only 1 dialogue opportunity with every student.

Among the trope-y characters (some are redeemed later with support), Sylvain and Lorenz were the most obnoxious to me. So I ended up choosing Black Eagle. And I heard Petra was a well-written character for a foreigner learning a new language (it was ok, I guess?)

TalonJH

Oct 27, 2017
Louisville, KY
It was really hard for me to pick the Golden Deer over them but I thought people would go for the Blue lions. Especially after people saw the time skip characters in previews.

Terraforce

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

It truly is. BE and GD both have great characters, but neither is a class where every character is a great one to some capacity.

Dogenzaka

Apr 20, 2019
The most popular house would be whichever Edelgard is in because they push her so freaking hard and act like Dimitri and Claude don't exist.