Blizzard still doesn't know if crossplay "makes sense for Overwatch"

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
Cross-play won't be available at launch. Blizzard sent the following statement to Engadget regarding cross-platform capabilities: "We've seen how compelling cross-system play can be for our community, and we're excited about the potential. There's still a lot of work to do on both our side and the platforms' side to determine whether this is something that makes sense for Overwatch, and we're keeping an eye on how cross-play systems and technology develop."

Sounds like a bullshit PR answer and it's never coming. Just say it's not possible because they didn't create an online component with crossplay in mind.

FairyEmpire

Oct 25, 2017
It made sense for Rocket League.
It made sense for Call Of Duty.
It made sense for PUBG.
It made sense for Fortnite.
It made sense for Minecraft.

First person games, competitive games, arena shooters, and so on gladly made cross-play (and in some cases cross-save) work, and it made tons of sense. Make it possible to opt-out if somebody on Switch doesn't want to go against somebody on better hardware, but why take away the option from everybody?

Banzai

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Crossplay always makes sense except for FPS in these specific situations:

different controls (meaning no pc crossplay with console)
different performance(meaning no 30fps crossplay with 60fps)

everything else is just pr talk

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Hopefully this is just worded bad and it's still coming and will be announced at blizzcon. I can understand wanting to let the switch version sit a bit on its own before dropping crossplay. As they already said last year they were interested.

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Honestly I just want cross-progression. That's it. I want to be able to use my skins, emotes, and other stuff on multiple platforms.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Crossplay doesn't make sense.

Crosssave, however, seems like it would make perfect sense. In fact, it might even be crucial.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Lol classic Blizzard.
If Paladins can have both cross-play and cross-save on 3 platforms and only BENEFIT from that, why Overwatch can't?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I can understand no Crossplay for PC as that is a different game. But the likes of PS4, X1, and Switch I don't really buy that for.
Especially not in certain instances like how Fornite does it. The only avenue i'd say no cross-play makes sense for is competitive if we're taking out PC.

Lol classic Blizzard.
If Paladins can have both cross-play and cross-save on 3 platforms anf only BENEFIT from that, why Overwatch can't?
Exactly. You'd be hard-pressed to see anyone from High-rez say those implementations were a negative to their userbase.

Kabukimurder

Oct 28, 2017
As long as it is optional i see no downside. Wouldn't wanna face kb+mouse players when playing on the switches whacky joycon sticks.

Oct 27, 2017
Cross play is pretty essential for online only games.

One big pool of players means when you add a platform, like the Switch, players can be confident in short matchmaking times.

Getting the Switch version of Rocket League and being able to join a pool of 100,000 people already playing the game was really cool.

Getting the Switch version of Overwatch and only being able to play against other people who buy the Switch version of Overwatch and pay for Nintendo Online, cpuld be a bad experience.

Although it is a really popular game so it might be able to sustain a Seitch only player base.

Calibro

Oct 27, 2017
Belarus
Crossplay with PC definitely doesn't make sense.
PS4 / Switch or Xbox / Switch crossplay probably doesn't make sense because gyro aiming (also 60 fps / 30 fps).
PS4 / Xbox crossplay should happen, but probably Sony.
Cross-progression should definitely happen though (but needs to differentiate SR between platforms).

HairyFist87

Jun 17, 2018
The idea would be to keep the game alive for as long as possible, right? Since it requires Nintendo Online, how populated will this game be after a few months without cross play? I'm sure it will be fine but unless it's 30fps, why hold the game back.

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
It wouldn’t end well for anything other than PS4/Xbox.

Controller vs M+KB? No thanks.
Different frame rates? No thanks.

It’s why Fortnite on Switch is thrown in with the mobile playerbase online.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
There are some arguments that can be made about no cross-play between systems with different controls or performance

There are no arguments that can be made about no cross-account-progression.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
Crossplay with PC definitely doesn't make sense.
PS4 / Switch or Xbox / Switch crossplay probably doesn't make sense because gyro aiming (also 60 fps / 30 fps).
PS4 / Xbox crossplay should happen, but probably Sony.
Cross-progression should definitely happen though (but needs to differentiate SR between platforms).
Wait is OW 30fps Switch?

R0987

Avenger
Jan 20, 2018
The only reason that I can think of when it comes to crossplay and the switch (the other platforms have no excuse) is performance profile if the switch is locked to 30 fps and throwing them in a pool with 60fps players then it its not gonna be a good time for the 30fps crowd.

inguef

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I don't get it. I get Sony's eco-system excuse (which will backfire on them long-term), but for publishers it is better to have cross-progression/play/save. I will buy your game multiple times. I won't if I have to start over from scratch.

OP
OP
benzopil

benzopil

Oct 25, 2017
PC folks have different fps, a 30 fps guy with a shitty laptop can play with a 240 fps god and there's no special pools for different computers

Raoh

Oct 27, 2017
Don't care about cross-play, just give me cross save.
they won't put in cross save as easy as it would be for them for the simple fact that they'd rather people make different accounts in different consoles and be tempted into buying lootboxes to get skins faster. They probably have a blackboard and on top of it says "Never ever crossplay".

PC folks have different fps, a 30 fps guy with a shitty laptop can play with a 240 fps god and there's no special pools for different computers
Crossplay for consoles only no PC period. Still would rock.

AJ_Wings

Oct 31, 2017
There are characters in OW who straight up don’t require the precision of a mouse to perform well since they’re so reliant on hero abilities and role synergy.

A proper cross play system wouldn’t be much of a detriment to the playerbase.

Lucifonz

Senior Editor at Gaming LYF
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
Cross-play always makes sense, it's a win-win, although I'm pretty sure this just means they're not working on it and don't plan to.

NeoRaider

Feb 7, 2018
they won't put in cross save as easy as it would be for them for the simple fact that they'd rather people make different accounts in different consoles and be tempted into buying lootboxes to get skins faster. They probably have a blackboard and on top of it says "Never ever crossplay".

Crossplay for consoles only no PC period. Still would rock.
Why wouldn't it be optional on PC too? Like it is in Paladins. You can turn it off/on in settings whenever you want.

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The game still doesn't have proper Ultrawide support because "competitive advantage" Blizzard are behind on support full stop

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
Aren’t there other differences between the console and PC versions too? Torbjorn’s turrets getting a nerf on console springs to mind.

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
No crossplay at all is dumb between PS4 and One.

However, considering the control (gyro), network stability (thanks Nintendo), and quality concerns being raised (iff the 30 FPS thing mentioned above is true) I can see there being an issue with Switch crossplay. Overwatch, I would imagine, must be a pretty hard game to sync out of all the possible FPS/TPS games out there, considering the wide array of characters, abilities, interactions, movement types, overall speed, and projectile types.

Hanbei

Nov 11, 2017
Yes but in this case, if the player experiences lag or other issues, they can't blame the game for allowing cross play. They can only blame themselves, knowing that their system was not good enough for a smooth performance.

MILKGOLOLBAD

Aug 5, 2019
If people are worried about unfair advantage for PC users then I have bad news for you - the amount of mouse / keyboard users in console shooters is growing fast, especially since the introduction of battle royale games + siege. So yea, it does make sense as the competitive gaming for base console users in shooters is already somewhat ruined.

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Blizzard accounts still don’t cross-save between regions, I don’t see why Blizzard would allow cross-save for this. It’s a whole new opportunity to get people to pay again!