LTTP - Alien: Isolation | Green Dots Are Scary

cosmickosm

Oct 26, 2017
OPEN SPOILERS

I put off playing this title for 5 years. I’ve read the high praise and I’ve had friends praise it themselves. After a recent PSN sale I finally caved and bought it, and yesterday morning I beat it. And it was truly one of my favorite survival horror experiences that I’ve had. It was well deserving of the praise and it captured the essence of the film. The lighting, sound design, level design, and general gameplay were outstanding. I enjoyed the story as well, it wasn’t spectacular but it still provided some cool moments and it was fun to see the nods to the films. Entering the hive was an incredible experience and realizing there were multiple xeno's on board and not just the one, was great.

The Xenomorph AI was something else, it wasn’t perfect, but it worked extremely well for the most part. There were a few times it stuck around a bit long to the point where I was beginning to get a bit annoyed by it, but then I remembered that it’s wise to keep moving, and you have craftable items for a reason. I’m a bit ashamed to admit that I brought death upon myself more than once. I’ve chucked a noise maker and had it bounce off a low overhang and basically brought the Alien right to me.

The game just went.on.too.long.
Really, it needed to be shortened by a couple hours/missions. The general mission structure was really showing some faults towards the end. It did feel padded, which was unfortunate, and it does detract from an otherwise amazing game. It’s not bad enough that I wouldn’t recommend it, but it’s just something to be aware of.

It just really surprised me. It was a joy to play, all the moving pieces largely connected and despite the padded feeling, it was one hell of an experience. It's unfortunate that from what I've read, we won't be getting a sequel.

I really hope with Halloween right around the corner that more people give this title a shot. It deserves your time, as it provides a generally remarkable experience. It's tense, it's claustrophobic, it's atmospheric, and it's well worth your time and money.

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
All the filler with the androids really ruined the game for me. Would have been a phenomenal tight 8 hour game. The too long complaint is an understatement for how bloated it is. As such I never ended up beating it.

SofNascimento

Oct 28, 2017
It's a great game when the Alien is around, a very average one when it is not (except the intro). As you mentioned, the game really goes for longer than it should and I find the part where you kill the first alien until another one shows up to be the worst parts of the game. Without the Alien to strike fear in your heart, the gameplay mechanics can't carry the game.

All in all, it's a must for any horror fans.

CrocoDuck

Oct 28, 2017
Agree with you on length. The game is amazing and I’m actually playing through it again now, but it does drag on way too long. It needed to be cut at least 3 chapters short.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
The game is easily one of the best horror games in the last decade, and the third best entry into the entire Alien Franchise.

I agree that there was a lot of filler, though I also feel that what helps make the game work is that there is a lot of fake out sections where the Alien doesn't show up for long periods of time but makes you think it will.

What a sequel needs if we ever got one is for the Alien to move independantly of you. That and a better checkpoint system. I get why checkpoints are so harsh but realistically the game is mostly instant deaths.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
The part where you ...

enter this reactor core with Aliens swarming all over

... should really have been the conclusion of the game, but nnooo...

There was another three or four hours to go before the actual ending.

Unfortunately, it is one of the best examples of a game outstaying its welcome.

I would, however, be the first in line if a (hopeful) sequel to Isolation come to fruition!

Ishmae1

Creative Director, Microsoft
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
I adored this game. It's the best interpretation of a film IP into a game I've ever seen. The world is perfect.

While it's a bit too long, it's still a great experience.

One of my favorite moments...
...is when you realize that the reason it feels as if this one alien is such a jerk and has singularly targeted you over everyone else is because... there's actually a lot more than one alien on the station.