• We are delighted to introduce GiftBot 2.0, the next generation of our popular gifting feature. To celebrate, we'll be giving away some incredible prizes over the coming weeks in one big Giveaway Extravaganza!

Great examples of foreshadowing used efficiently in games

SolVanderlyn

Oct 28, 2017
I love foreshadowing. A person spoken of only in whispers. Something that happened long ago said in passing. A place nobody dares go to. A piece of dialogue that only gains meaning in retrospect.

My absolute favorite has to be the TV station in Timber, from Final Fantasy VIII, and indeed all radio waves in that game. Originally mentioned in passing as being unusuable due to interference, you can also catch a glimpse of strange lines of text on the screen at Timber's TV station, which look like gibberish but have very real, meaningful text buried in there - text that only makes sense once you reach a certain point much later in the game.

On the giant screen outside the TV Station in Timber, the following message can be seen on the screen.

I AM ALIVE HERE
BRING ME BACK THERE
I WILL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ABOUT ME

The reason for the radio interference is Sorceress Adel's tomb, which, orbiting the planet, interferes with the radio waves and fills all frequencies with noise. This led to most wireless technology being abandoned, and facilities, such as the Communications Tower in Dollet and the TV Station in Timber, fell to disuse. An outdoor TV display in Timber displays the interference, and one can decipher a message from Adel among the noise.

In short, the sorceress who was too powerful to defeat and was expelled into space is still alive, shouting so hard that it interferes with radio waves and renders them useless.

You later learn about this sorceress through flashback sequences as the ultimate foe that Laguna and his friends "defeated" about twenty years ago, MUCH farther into the story.

What a perfect fusion of the modern and the fantastical.

What are some other good examples?

Mr. Poolman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Planescape Torment

You end the game where you start, in fact, you have all you need to enter the final dungeon right from the beggining of the game.
Truly on this game the path to the end is the real prize all along.

elenarie

Developer at DICE
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Deus Ex HR and MD. Way too many examples to mention. Don't want to spoil things. But just imagine everything in those games, literally everything, being about the concept of duality.

Bit_Reactor

Apr 9, 2019
I haven't gotten far in the 8 remaster but that's pretty awesome. I played it years ago so I didn't mind reading the spoiler but had no idea that kind of stuff was foreshadowed so far ahead. Amazing.

In FF X, how creepy the forced happiness is when you realise Yevon are a cult sending Yuna on a suicide mission.
FFX gets me every time that the story of "some jock who got transported to a weird world" is so effing sad.

Tidus: "YEAH YUNA LETS GO TO ZANARKAND. ITS GONNA BE GREAT! LETS GET THERE QUICK!"
Yuna: "......yay"

Like she knows her duty and such but it's still so damn sad that when Tidus (and the player) finally figures it all out it's like "holy shit we've been pushing this plot forward without knowing what it means for her."

Betty

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
When the DNA test shows that you aren't the father of Liquid in MGSV.

At that point I just couldn't make heads or tails of it.

Makes sense at the end of the game though.

Apollo

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ace Attorney 3 has some great foreshadowing.

In the third case, which in series tradition acts as a filler chapter, a few small details about the prosecutor Godot come up by chance. A white apron covered in ketchup is presented to the court, but Godot is unable to properly perceive the ketchup stains. It turns out he can’t see the color red on a white background. Later in the trial, a power outage occurs, showing that Godot’s mask glows bright red in the dark. These details later prove to be invaluable hints implicating him as the culprit in the final case.

Nov 5, 2017
Bakersfield, CA
At the beginning of the game, Kratos' arm wraps slightly come off and look vaguely similar to his Blades of Chaos. Later on in the game we get an amazing sequence where Kratos goes to dig up the Blades from his home.

It's a little heavy handed in terms of foreshadowing, but I was still excited for it.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
It's very much an example of Five Second Foreshadowing (where the reveal happens almost immediately after the foreshadow) but

When Max goes to visit Chloe after "fixing" the death of Chloe's dad, we see Max approaching Chloe's house...with a wheelchair ramp visible, foreshadowing that the immediate reveal that Chloe is now in a wheelchair

Genuinely felt a little daft for not picking up on it until watching someone else play it.

McNum

Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
I got one for Fire Emblem Three Houses. It's a wonderfully blatant bit of foreshadowing that you'll miss on your first playthrough.
Whenever a character's birthday comes up, you get a notification and a chance to give them a gift or have a tea party with them. This happens for every character, and of course some characters have birthdays that overlap with ingame holidays, which is perfectly natural.

And then there's the three that aren't.

Seteth's birthday is on Saint Cihol's Day
Flayn's birthday is on Saint Cethlean's Day
Rhea's birthday is on Saint Seiros' Day

None of those are a coincidence. In fact, Seteth is Saint Cihol, Flayn is Saint Cethlean, and Rhea is Saint Seiros. The very same as you saw in the opening cutscene from a thousand years ago.

It is also why Rhea teaches the Brawl skill, as the opening has her deck Nemesis in the face, which is a cute little bit of foreshadowing on its own.

Neoleo2143

Oct 27, 2017
It's sort of a blink and you'll miss it, but if you look carefully in the first shot of the world tree in the second scene in the game as it pans up, you can see the tree extend well past the branches because it's actually a space elevator that had been covered in millennia of overgrowth.

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
It's very much an example of Five Second Foreshadowing (where the reveal happens almost immediately after the foreshadow) but

When Max goes to visit Chloe after "fixing" the death of Chloe's dad, we see Max approaching Chloe's house...with a wheelchair ramp visible, foreshadowing that the immediate reveal that Chloe is now in a wheelchair

Genuinely felt a little daft for not picking up on it until watching someone else play it.
Oh damn I didn't notice that either.

Jmille99

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
GlaDos makes comments in the OG Portal during the tests that hint you will die when they are over.

The sick man in the slums of Final Fantasy 7

Tatsu91

Apr 7, 2019
I love foreshadowing. A person spoken of only in whispers. Something that happened long ago said in passing. A place nobody dares go to. A piece of dialogue that only gains meaning in retrospect.

My absolute favorite has to be the TV station in Timber, from Final Fantasy VIII, and indeed all radio waves in that game. Originally mentioned in passing as being unusuable due to interference, you can also catch a glimpse of strange lines of text on the screen at Timber's TV station, which look like gibberish but have very real, meaningful text buried in there - text that only makes sense once you reach a certain point much later in the game.

On the giant screen outside the TV Station in Timber, the following message can be seen on the screen.

I AM ALIVE HERE
BRING ME BACK THERE
I WILL NEVER LET YOU FORGET ABOUT ME

The reason for the radio interference is Sorceress Adel's tomb, which, orbiting the planet, interferes with the radio waves and fills all frequencies with noise. This led to most wireless technology being abandoned, and facilities, such as the Communications Tower in Dollet and the TV Station in Timber, fell to disuse. An outdoor TV display in Timber displays the interference, and one can decipher a message from Adel among the noise.

In short, the sorceress who was too powerful to defeat and was expelled into space is still alive, shouting so hard that it interferes with radio waves and renders them useless.

You later learn about this sorceress through flashback sequences as the ultimate foe that Laguna and his friends "defeated" about twenty years ago, MUCH farther into the story.

What a perfect fusion of the modern and the fantastical.

What are some other good examples?
Their are to many examples to list but in FFXIV it is used very very effectively

Lord Vatek

Avenger
Jan 18, 2018
A pretty subtle one that most people will have forgotten about when they get to that point in Zero no Kiseki.

The beginning of the game appears to start in media res in the final dungeon. However when you get to that point much later in the game, two characters who weren't in the beginning of the game in that same scene are with the other main characters who were. It's later revealed that the beginning of the game was actually a previous timeline where everyone died shortly after that scene with the other two characters being there in the proper scene because they were necessary for everyone to survive.

MDSVeritas

Gameplay Programmer, Sony Santa Monica
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
KOTOR

There are several indications that the player is more powerful or special than you would be led to believe normally. Like the Jedi believing you are a "special case" and generally why you get the treatment you do.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
The story starts poking holes in Cloud's claim of being an ex-first class SOLDIER and his stated backstory really early by having you fight third class SOLDIERS before leaving Midgar who would have been tough challenges for Cloud at the beginning of the game. During the flashback, Cloud is excited about getting a Materia that he doesn't actually have at the start of the story (the ice and lightning Materia he starts with happen to be ones that are sold in the same slum AVALANCE operates out of). Later on before the truth comes out you can fight second class SOLDIERS that would have clearly wiped the floor with early game Cloud.

kai3345

Oct 25, 2017
can't think of any specific examples off the top of my head, but if you actually read the collectible pages in Alan Wake they'd often foreshadow things coming up later in the game

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
In Dragon Age 2: Legacy...
you first meet Coripheus, one of the Tevinter Magisters who broke into the Golden City via blood magic and tainted the place, turning into the Black City and creating the Blight, the curse which serves as the main plot point of Dragon Age Origins. The Magisters were also cursed with the Blight, becoming darkspawn of their own. The lore of Dragon Age specifies that only Grey Wardens can kill Archdemons - old god dragons cursed by the Blight that command the hordes of darkspawn.
After defeating Coripheus in battle in Legacy, a cutscenes plays in which Hawke kills Coripheus. It's always Hawke, even when there's a Grey Warden in your party. It always felt like the game needed to make it clear that it was Hawke, and not anyone else in your party. Essentially setting up the groundwork for Inquisition, when Coripheus returns as the main antagonist.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
I liked this part (spoilers in the link obviously) from Destiny 2 Forsaken.

Mostly for the fact that since Destiny is such a popular MMO, you'd think the playerbase would have everything figured out the moment it comes up in the story. But for some reason this particular bit of foreshadowing managed to kind of fly under the radar.

Just a shame Bungie then decided to do absolutely literally nothing with the actual twist.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
Suikoden 2 - The marked rock in there beginning of the game where Jowy & Riou agree to meet up if they get separated. I'll use spoilers just in case

Well, they meet there but much later than you would think. In fact the very end of the game. So when Jowy says "separated" it's foreshadowing their separation as friends and into rival leaders of their respective armies. And at this point depending on the decisions you've made determines one of the several endings you can get. But this is where it all begins and were it all ends.

D-Man

Oct 25, 2017
Ghost Trick

There are multiple signs throughout the story that point towards the fact that Sissel isn't human like he thinks he is. The fact that he can't read and how he tends to mess with mice are all big signs to him being a cat and not the man in the red suit.

Rotobit

Oct 27, 2017
The emaciated deku scrub you see very early on in Majora's Mask that hints at just how the transformation masks are created, plus its connection to the Deku Butler.

Deadly premonition
FK in the coffee
Deadly Premonition has quite a bit of this, like the red trees only growing in places George frequents like the police station and his house. There are also the license plates which outright tell you "he's the 1". And all of the tiny dolls of Forest Kaysen dotted across the US, complete with one wearing the army uniform.

emag

Oct 26, 2017
There's a fair bit of foreshadowing in Chrono Trigger regarding Lavos and Zeal/Magus. And the prehistoric dancers at the fair, of course.

What foreshadowing is in those games?
There's the prologue in LttP that discusses Ganon being sealed in the dark world by seven sages, then there's the short visit to the dark world before the third dungeon.

TP~

Oct 25, 2017
Danganronpa 1

Serious spoilers, don't click if you haven't already played it.

The real Junko is the mastermind and had her sister Mukuro replace her in the group. Early in the game your character comments on how different she looks in real life compared to the magazine covers and pictures he had seen her in. One of her favorite gift items is the rations, which makes sense given Mukuro's military background, and her reaction to being impaled was of disbelief. Her death wasn't part of the original plan.