House of the Dead 1 & 2 Remakes incoming

Selina

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Oh nice, House of the Dead 2 is one of my favourite light-gun games. I would like to suffer like G did in HD.

Bazry

Oct 30, 2017
Some of the posts in here are strange, like the Wii didn't have some great games like this that will work the same way with a joy con

Z-Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any PS4 games that support the gun controller but aren't in VR? If not, this should definitely be the first.
The original Xbox supported a light gun controller so I imagine the ps4 can't be that hard, especially since it's basically already built into every controller for it through the lightbar and move controls

Gusy

Oct 27, 2017
Suposing the decide to go the VR route, given the endless shooter galleries in VR, the only way I could be interested is if they stick to the exact same low poly artstyle of the arcade originals.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Some of the posts in here are strange, like the Wii didn't have some great games like this that will work the same way with a joy con
Yeah I can see joycon working with this, but some peeps own an XBox or PS console and at the least they would need to hold their controllers which might not be as comfortable or convenient as using a lightgun.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Im hoping these are just the original games but upressed, HotD 2 without the original voice acting just isnt House of the Dead 2

Luckett_X

Oct 25, 2017
Leeds, UK
They're not exactly doing a stellar job with Panzer Dragoon, so I fear this is another "the low budget is what Sega wanted to hear" pitch. Which is a shame compared to top of the line stuff like Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4 and both Wonderboy: The Dragons Trap and Monster Boy.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Also, while the guns used in HOTD 3 and 4 had some amount of Tactile Feedback, the guns used for HOTD1 and 2 had no feedback other than the feeling of actually pulling the trigger- they weren't like Namco's guns at the time that had physical movement to them. I don't see why a Move/Joycon wouldn't work for these

Z-Beat

Oct 25, 2017
Also, while the guns used in HOTD 3 and 4 had some amount of Tactile Feedback, the guns used for HOTD1 and 2 had no feedback other than the feeling of actually pulling the trigger- they weren't like Namco's guns at the time that had physical movement to them. I don't see why a Move/Joycon wouldn't work for these
1 and 2's were standard handgun style lightguns. 3's is a shotgun and 4's is a submachine gun. That said, all the lightguns made for the home port of 3 are just handguns. Scarlet Dawn has that Time Crisis thing going on but iirc it's still a handgun

Absoludacrous

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
The original Xbox supported a light gun controller so I imagine the ps4 can't be that hard, especially since it's basically already built into every controller for it through the lightbar and move controls
That Xbox gun is an entirely different set of technology. Lightbar (Wii/Move) guns work completely differently, and are serviceable but definitely don't feel the same.

Absoludacrous

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Didn't they already make a lightgun grip for the wiimote?
Yea, but it doesn't change how the Wii reads the input.

The old Xbox/HotD/Duck Hunt/etc. technology involving flashing white light on the screen that would be read by sensors in the gun controller. Modern displays don't refresh fast enough for this to work, so it basically makes that technology impossible. It's why you can't hook a NES up via HDMI and play Duck Hunt with the Zapper. Won't work.

The Wii and Move use positional tracking via the sensor bar/camera, which functions more like a mouse that you drag around the screen. So you can kind of simulate the experience, but it's a bit slower and less accurate.

Tain

Oct 25, 2017
I'd welcome ports in a heartbeat but I'm less interested in remakes, especially if these are just Switch/Xbox/PS4/flatscreen-PC.

The exception would be remakes on PCVR or Quest, which would slightly justify reworking the game a bit more. I think the ideal situation for me would be a VR release that maintained the game logic and assets of the arcade originals.

Tain

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, looking at the Panzer Dragoon footage, I'm not convinced it's using any of the original game logic?

I doubt the same dev would take a fundamentally different approach here.

Oct 27, 2017
1 and 2's were standard handgun style lightguns. 3's is a shotgun and 4's is a submachine gun. That said, all the lightguns made for the home port of 3 are just handguns. Scarlet Dawn has that Time Crisis thing going on but iirc it's still a handgun
Not quite the case. There's a Silent Scope rifle for the OG Xbox that also functioned as a shotgun for House of the Dead 3. Worked great.

I also had a 100hz compatible baretta style light gun for the OG Xbox. Shame more games weren't ported to that console from the Dreamcast.

The lack of light gun games is the biggest tragedy of the non-CRT TV era for me. Sensors, psmove, wii remotes and VR haven't been able to match a correctly calibrated light gun with a CRT.

We'll get back there one day. Then I'll finally get a home port of Virtua Cop 3.

Sacul64

Oct 27, 2017
Wow this topic is filled with no fun people this is great news as I have not really gotten to play the first game. I am down for this vr or otherwise. Also include original dub.

Z-Beat

Oct 25, 2017
For everyone who feels like there is hardly a proper way to play this genre nowadays, you might want to check out the Sinden Lightgun that should start shipping soon.
Dave and Busters still has 2 3 4 and Scarlet Dawn cabinets iirc. The last time I saw a cabinet for 1 was on my college campus a few years back, but the calibration was so screwed up that it wasn't playable.

Not quite the case. There's a Silent Scope rifle for the OG Xbox that also functioned as a shotgun for House of the Dead 3. Worked great.

I also had a 100hz compatible baretta style light gun for the OG Xbox. Shame more games weren't ported to that console from the Dreamcast.

The lack of light gun games is the biggest tragedy of the non-CRT TV era for me. Sensors, psmove, wii remotes and VR haven't been able to match a correctly calibrated light gun with a CRT.

We'll get back there one day. Then I'll finally get a home port of Virtua Cop 3.
I want my home port of the Star Wars trilogy game

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
Please put them on PC with really good typing test modes. Hell, have that on consoles, you can plug keyboards into those.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda want them to leave the graphics and voice acting and everything the same.

VR would be interesting, but to keep it the same wouldn't it have to be like, a virtual cabinet in the VR space?