Anthem |OT| GaaS Effect

Which Javelin is your go to choice/main when playing Anthem?

• Total voters

shaneo632

Oct 29, 2017
Essex, UK
Did the release day patch fix much? Namely:

- Tombs of the Legionnaires not applying progress from the start of the game, basically a 3-hour fetch quest otherwise.
- No on-screen tracking for Tomb.
- Slow walking in Fort Tarsis
- Long ass loading screens
- Empty post-game
- Lack of text chat
- Proximity warning if you go more than a few meters from your teammates
- Freeplay only 4 players
- Most common bugs - mission objectives not triggering, players randomly getting instanced into late-game missions
- Clunky UI with too many nested menus.

nasirum

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere
Did the release day patch fix much? Namely:

- Tombs of the Legionnaires not applying progress from the start of the game, basically a 3-hour fetch quest otherwise.
- No on-screen tracking for Tomb.
- Slow walking in Fort Tarsis
- Long ass loading screens
- Empty post-game
- Lack of text chat
- Proximity warning if you go more than a few meters from your teammates
- Freeplay only 4 players
- Most common bugs - mission objectives not triggering, players randomly getting instanced into late-game missions
- Clunky UI with too many nested menus.
No. And they accidentally increased loot drop rates (felt normal to me) and then reverted it, so now you get barely a trickle of Masterworks at GM1.

VE3TRO

Oct 25, 2017
ESSEX, UK
Is the named Titans event over now? I killed 3 last night and one just now but still no challenge popping or even showing in my challenge list.

MissCauthon

Oct 25, 2017
Silly question but didn’t we at the beginning create our guys look? I completely forgot haha. I think I somehow remember choosing a face unless I’m mistaken. I’m asking since it would be nice if at least in Fort we could have the third person view and see our guy.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Speed is now working, but I'm wondering if it's multiplicative or additive to the base. This gun is shit, but the bonuses seemed nice. It only removes a whopping 1s though.

Considering "gear" is just your skill use and the only thing that should be affected by cooldown reduction anyway other than ultimates, I wonder if "support" speed is something different, or if it is just a global, non specific cooldown reduction.

Be brave and do the rest on GM :D your teammates will hate you but it's the only way.

Others have already said it but it's worth repeating. There should be at least a couple MW components available for those playing on hard. Now the jump in difficulty going from hard to grandmaster is too big. My main is storm but I'm gearing up a colossus at the moment. The first time I played on GM it was just hiding behind rocks while others killed the enemies. Now I have 4 MW components equipped and can drop attack right into the middle of the action without much fear.
LOL, that's so scummy, but about what you actually need to do right now if you actually want to gear up for GM1. It's a catch 22 situation. You can still at least contribute somewhat with the MW weapons you got from another javelin though.

Last edited:

Charpunk

Oct 25, 2017
Silly question but didn’t we at the beginning create our guys look? I completely forgot haha. I think I somehow remember choosing a face unless I’m mistaken. I’m asking since it would be nice if at least in Fort we could have the third person view and see our guy.
You see your face in some main mission cutscenes if you are using the default helmet for your javelin. For some reason, using another helmet keeps your visor down during cutscenes.

phant0m

Oct 29, 2017
I've been played about 21.5 hours on the Xbox One X and only encountered one crash so far. The world is absolutely beautiful. The load times haven't affected my enjoyment too much. I've enjoyed chatting with the NPC's and hearing their stories after missions. Some of them remind me of Mass Effect NPCs. Despite the flaws, I'm enjoying what I've played so far. I really hope Bioware can fix the issues and turn this game around.

I thought Bioware claimed you can play through this solo, but Freeplay forces you to switch to public. I don't think you can progress through the story without freeplay. Is there something I'm missing?
Same, but on PS4 Pro. I was starting to think I was the only one enjoying it.... the world is gorgeous, flying around like Ironman feels _really_ good, and I like the combat options.

shinobi602

Wushu Studios
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
I thought Bioware claimed you can play through this solo, but Freeplay forces you to switch to public. I don't think you can progress through the story without freeplay. Is there something I'm missing?
It's still technically solo I guess? Sure, there are a few others in the open world during the tomb mission but you can complete it all on your own, you're not forced to play with anyone else.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, stupid question: is there any minimum level you should be to play on hard? Like at least level 15 etc, or power gear level 100 etc, so that you won't get one shot, or have your team mates wish there was a kick button?

Thinking of playing on hard, as I would like to get some blue drops, I don't even know if that's possible on level 10 though?

At the moment, all my gear and weapons etc, are green level 10-12's, apart from the LoD Light of the Legion gun, and playing on normal.

Tharp

Oct 27, 2017
Ok, stupid question: is there any minimum level you should be to play on hard? Like at least level 15 etc, or power gear level 100 etc, so that you won't get one shot, or have your team mates wish there was a kick button?

Thinking of playing on hard, as I would like to get some blue drops, I don't even know if that's possible on level 10 though?

At the moment, all my gear and weapons etc, are green level 10-12's, apart from the LoD Light of the Legion gun, and playing on normal.
Dunno if they've changed it, but my buddy and I played on hard from level 1. There's no minimum to it. It was more difficult but we never felt like we were undergeared or anything.

Raide

Oct 31, 2017

You can go from the start if you want a challenge and to also learn the combat/mobility options. Depending on class you play, I would say there are a few super hard encounters which will drive you bonkers. Tbh, blue drops are based upon your overall gear score and I don't think hard increases drop chance and rarity at lower levels.

greetdeath

Oct 27, 2017
I beat the main storyline yesterday. I enjoy the game but I'm disappointed in how much wasted potential there is in it. Like others have said, I feel like they threw out the entire game multiple times and it really shows, especially in mission structure. I still have an itch to play but I wonder for how long. Each mission takes so long to load and half the time I get matched in to a mission already in progress. That causes it to load again and put me forward in the map and about 5-10 minutes later, the mission is done and I'm loading again. Surely there has to be a better way.

There are so many similarities on what Bioware was trying to do here and with Andromeda. It's like they have an idea, but can't get it down in the physical world without limitations. Those limitations cause them to compromise and further the cycle of mediocrity.

RaySpencer

Oct 27, 2017
Has anyone else played this on multiple platforms? I was playing on PC for a bit, and even a tiny bit on Xbox, and had very little issues, but on PS4 I get disconnected from the server constantly.

deafmedal

Oct 25, 2017
So does everyone have the ability to move and shoot in the background of cutscenes or is that just me?
It’s a thing. Be careful though, it can bug out and turn the screen black (with HUD and enemy markers etc.) thus making completing the mission kinda impossible if there is combat after the cutscene. I think it goes black if you fly during a cutscene heh.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno if they've changed it, but my buddy and I played on hard from level 1. There's no minimum to it. It was more difficult but we never felt like we were undergeared or anything.

You can go from the start if you want a challenge and to also learn the combat/mobility options. Depending on class you play, I would say there are a few super hard encounters which will drive you bonkers. Tbh, blue drops are based upon your overall gear score and I don't think hard increases drop chance and rarity at lower levels.
Ok, thank you!

HamCormier

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
It’s a thing. Be careful though, it can bug out and turn the screen black (with HUD and enemy markers etc.) thus making completing the mission kinda impossible if there is combat after the cutscene. I think it goes black if you fly during a cutscene heh.
Lol that happened to me. Ended up in a loading screen for the entire length of the cut-scene. Oh well!

panama chief

Oct 27, 2017
How do you feel about the FPP town? If we pretend for a moment that loading screens were shorter and less frequent, did you enjoy this aspect?

I don't hear people commenting on this much, but I personally feel the FPP section shouldn't even be in the game. It feels like it chops up the experience too much when what I want to be doing is running around as a mech. It'd be *so* much better if i never actually had to stop being in the mech suit.
Feels like they wanted to give us something akin to the feeling of walking about as Peter Parker in Insomniac’s Spider-Man. That is a high bar and what we have in Anthem isn’t close to replicating that feeling. I agree, the game should’ve had us in suit at all times. Maybe spread people around the map in these various little towns/encampments instead of making it seem like Fort Tarsis is this extremely special place.

Gypsie

Oct 29, 2017
Anyone got any nice storm setups? I tried a few as I leveled but I just kept going back to shards / lightning storm.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Same. A couple hard fights here and there, but nothing too bad among the story missions and contracts.

The stronghold on hard right after unlocking was too much though. Couldn’t get past the first fight as we were just dealing too little damage.

Jobbs

Oct 25, 2017
Feels like they wanted to give us something akin to the feeling of walking about as Peter Parker in Insomniac’s Spider-Man. That is a high bar and what we have in Anthem isn’t close to replicating that feeling. I agree, the game should’ve had us in suit at all times. Maybe spread people around the map in these various little towns/encampments instead of making it seem like Fort Tarsis is this extremely special place.
I can't quite pinpoint all the reasons why, but Tarsis never once felt like a real place, and it always felt tiny. Part of the reason is the sound, which is eerily absent, and part of the reason is how slow you move and how dead everything seems. In any case, it just never felt like a real place to me and it made no sense to keep having to go there. The game would just be soooo much better if you got to stay in the robot suit as much as you wanted and the story was all contextualized in the regular gameplay. That'd just be so much more fun. I hope they change it so it's like that at some later time

Wreck We Em

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I cannot believe how fun Interceptor is! I absolutely love the kick animations for Detonating/Tempest Strike (especially the leg drop from the air)

BioWare needs to go all in with the ninja shit and let us do combos while in our ultimate. I basically want to be Eddy Gordo when in my ultimate

Interceptor is really my perfect compliment for the Thiccboi

Kyuuji

Nov 8, 2017
What’s everyone’s favourite javelin and playstyle?

Still loving getting into the mix of it with the Interceptor and how active the class is in general. No favourite playstyle as early with it and not enough loot to experiment, but think I’ll be sticking by it for a bit longer. Love Storm for the impact everything it casts seems to have, feels great to hover and destroy and as others have mentioned the Ice Storm with Burning Orb is a very satisfying way to play.

Colossus will be next, very keen to give it a go.

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
How do you feel about the FPP town? If we pretend for a moment that loading screens were shorter and less frequent, did you enjoy this aspect?

I don't hear people commenting on this much, but I personally feel the FPP section shouldn't even be in the game. It feels like it chops up the experience too much when what I want to be doing is running around as a mech. It'd be *so* much better if i never actually had to stop being in the mech suit.
I have mixed thoughts on Tarsis, but it does have some good things. Like, the facial animation is so good in this game that having characters look you straight in "the eyes" does have an effect. Not related to first-person, but I'm really surprised how much dialogue there is in Tarsis and people to talk to. I guess everyone has different standards but I feel the NPC and character work is strong here. Haluk is one of my favorite NPCs in a long time. He's entertaining without being cartoony or quippy in that Whedonesque way. Faye is great, too. To me the weakness of the story isn't Tarsis but the inability for much story work out in the open world due to "Our World, My Story." I just keep thinking what they could have done with "My World, My Story."

I can't quite pinpoint all the reasons why, but Tarsis never once felt like a real place, and it always felt tiny. Part of the reason is the sound, which is eerily absent, and part of the reason is how slow you move and how dead everything seems. In any case, it just never felt like a real place to me and it made no sense to keep having to go there. The game would just be soooo much better if you got to stay in the robot suit as much as you wanted and the story was all contextualized in the regular gameplay. That'd just be so much more fun. I hope they change it so it's like that at some later time
I think right now there are a lot of dead spots and dead ends in Tarsis. I'm hoping they are planning on expanding it in the future and that this accounts for all the boxes of junk in streets that lead to nowhere. Also, the NPCs convos are nice but they should lead to quests. I was expecting a quest with that Freelancer who got in trouble with the Regulators but instead I just give advice and she solves it off-screen.

What’s everyone’s favourite javelin and playstyle?
I was planning on Ranger pre-launch but now? Shinobi was right, thiccboi is da gawd. Ranger abilities aren't as fun as the Flamethrower/Lightning Coil combo and Storm is too glass cannon for me, but I just unlocked it so it's probably a L2P thing. Colossus is just so damn fun and tanking elites like an Ursix is delightful.

Last edited:

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
Done with all story and sidestory content in the game and with that I shall put it to rest.
The hunt for loot in this feels boring and meaningless, there is nothing exciting to find for me.

JediTimeBoy

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry, another stupid question:

On my Interceptor, currently have a Blade Inscription component equipped, Level 12 and enchances melee strikes by 10% of base damage.

I just got a Double-Edged Inscription, also level 12 that gives the same amount of armor and shield reinforcement, but also says that it increases all damage dealt by 35% of base, and damage taken by -35% of base. Will that include melee (I know "all" means all, but just want to be 100% definite lol). Also -35% means I'll take 35% less damage right?

Also had an interesting bug on one of my guns, where it showed I had -2 bullets in my chamber lol!

Ralemont

Jan 3, 2018
Sorry, another stupid question:

On my Interceptor, currently have a Blade Inscription component equipped, Level 12 and enchances melee strikes by 10% of base damage.

I just got a Double-Edged Inscription, also level 12 that gives the same amount of armor and shield reinforcement, but also says that it increases all damage dealt by 35% of base, and damage taken by -35% of base. Will that include melee (I know "all" means all, but just want to be 100% definite lol). Also -35% means I'll take 35% less damage right?

Also had an interesting bug on one of my guns, where it showed I had -2 bullets in my chamber lol!
That sounds to me like it's increasing damage taken by 35%.

Crashnburn85

Oct 25, 2017
California
Only clocked about 5 hours this weekend (#dadgamer), but enjoyed what I played so far, warts and all. Thicc boi is definitely bae, though I'm gonna give Ranger a shot as the unsung hero of the group.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
The heat meter disappearing behind "Transport to mission area" is something else.

No marker for the world event on the map or the radar ?

If you're just a bit late before entering a boss room, you're locked outside by s crystal wall and yeah, another loading screen...

On base PS4, this is the game when I had the most crashes in my entire console career, and even PC. Congratz I suppose ?

So much for internal testing and Destiny players of the team...

Props to the lore and character staff though.

Oct 29, 2017
Is there a group of Era players who are on discord or anything? I need more friends to play with. Just hit grandmaster 1 on my Ranger btw.

OriginID: Flux-523

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum

In my experience you can solo on hard just fine. Though if you're undergeared there a few fights I can think of that are gonna take a long, long time.

iirc there is a suggested player count someone mentioned at one point. Like hard was tuned for 2-4 players. Though, I don't know who said that so I can't link it or prove devs said it.