Microsoft Announces Surface Pro X a tablet with a "Microsoft SQ1 ARM processor and 2 Teraflops of Graphics Performance"

Tron1

Dec 23, 2017
Then I don't understand the trepidation. You've seen firsthand Nintendo deliver a full gen of spec performance in 8 out 9 transitions, but you can't seem to wrap your head around Nintendo doing precisely that for NX2?
Again we will see what happens. If there is anything we know about Nintendo is there is no certainty in anything.

ShadowFox08

Nov 25, 2017
Yeah we will see. Nintendo is Nintendo though. They never really use the latest tech especially as of late.
Is Nvidia going mobile with Turing? Perhaps switch 2 can be based off Turing architecture considering they haven't made anything past Parker yet. Seems like a natural evolution.. or maybe they'll go cheap and do a 7 and 5nm die shrink of tx1 but better CPU and Ram

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Only if Nintendo pays for it and or another company sells their off the shelf chipset to them for a good deal.

I think Nintendo’s days of R&D on cpu and GPU are over. They seem to be solely focused on controller or user experience.
I wouldn't think so. The "new" Switch/Switch light chip revision "Mariko" wouldn't have been done if that were the case, and nVidia probably wouldn't have bothered R&D'ing a simple die-shrink either.

Tron1

Dec 23, 2017
Is Nvidia going mobile with Turing? Perhaps switch 2 can be based off Turing architecture considering they haven't made anything past Parker yet. Seems like a natural evolution.. or maybe they'll go cheap and do a 7 and 5nm die shrink of tx1 but better CPU and Ram
Honestly who knows. We will see what happens with switch 2. Only hope for the best.

Replicant

Oct 25, 2017
MN
I wouldn't think so. The "new" Switch/Switch light chip revision "Mariko" wouldn't have been done if that were the case, and nVidia probably wouldn't have bothered R&D'ing a simple die-shrink either.
I’m not sure why you think that, but that redesign and smaller die size was not made for Nintendo’s sake. The die shrink was already used in the X2. Mariko is basically an X2 chip without the memory upgrades and cuda cores.

G_Zero

Mar 19, 2019
At this rate, we could see the PS6 and Xbox Three switch to ARM. What a time to be alive; RISC processors are finally claiming their rightful place as king of the hill!

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Nintendo nor Nvidia will want to stay on the Maxwell architecture in 2-3 years time. When something like Turing has far better performance per watt at the same node. Not only that, there are also new stuff that will boost performance on games while lowering bandwidth.

only reason is if Nintendo is really stingy and wants to stay on the same architecture for 10 years

Dec 4, 2017
I've been digging around the Adreno stuff, it looks like the 685 is going to be a double sized variant of the Adreno 640 and it should be 1536 SIMD lanes and 2 GFLOPs of proper FP32 performance. It should be some pretty beefy stuff. The LPDDR4x is 29.8GB/sec per channel but Microsoft doesn't say if it's a 64-bit or 128-bit bus so it could be double that if it's a 128-bit bus. This may make it a wee bit slower than a proper 1050 seeing as a 1050 has double the memory bandwidth of a 128-bit implementation and four times the memory bandwidth of a 64-bit implementation.

It'll be interesting to see on release how hard full Windows games can drive the SoC. Especially with a 7W stated TDP. Intel might be sweating buckets if this thing has some teeth. Because on paper we're looking at A12X levels of teeth.
Most likely it's an enhancement of the Qualcomm 8cx. It has an embiggened GPU (8cx has the Adreno 680, this one has the 685) and a 4+4 Kryo 495 where the big cores can reliably hit 3 GHz. It likely carries over the ~70 GB/s octa-channel (8x16-bit) LPDDR4X from the 8cx.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
Most likely it's an enhancement of the Qualcomm 8cx. It has an embiggened GPU (8cx has the Adreno 680, this one has the 685) and a 4+4 Kryo 495 where the big cores can reliably hit 3 GHz. It likely carries over the ~70 GB/s octa-channel (8x16-bit) LPDDR4X from the 8cx.
That makes sense, although I expect the 685 to just be upclocked over a 680 rather than a bigger die. 8x16-bit sort of makes sense since it's using 16b Hynix chips in the press art. I just didn't see room for 8 of them although 8x16b on 3733MT/sec is 59.6GB/sec not 70.

Dec 4, 2017
That makes sense, although I expect the 685 to just be upclocked over a 680 rather than a bigger die. 8x16-bit sort of makes sense since it's using 16b Hynix chips in the press art. I just didn't see room for 8 of them although 8x16b on 3733MT/sec is 59.6GB/sec not 70.
It uses 2133 MHz LPDDR4X, not 1866.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I was never talking about 32-bit vs 64-bit.
I'm not really sure if I'm interpreting your point correctly, but re-reading your posts, I think your complaint is that you think you can't run ordinary Win32 / non-UWP apps on this tablet.

But that's not the case. Windows on ARM is fully capable of running nearly all 32-bit Win32 apps automatically, through emulation. The emulation gets better automatically as programs get analyzed in real-time by the emulator, and those optimized emulator profiles get automatically saved for use the next time you run them so that Win32 apps get faster over time over emulation.

The Windows team has also built tools to make it fairly easy for developers to recompile (some) Win32 apps into ARM, so that emulation isn't necessary.

On Browsers specifically, Chrome and Firefox work pretty well through emulation already, and Google and Microsoft are working together to get Chrome natively compiled for ARM. This is in addition to the new version of Edge that Microsoft is working on, which is based on Chromium.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
It uses 2133 MHz LPDDR4X, not 1866.

The 8cx might but the Surface Pro X specs has this listed for memory:

8GB or 16GB LPDDR4x RAM at 3733Mbps

Derktron

Jun 6, 2019
Only if Nintendo pays for it and or another company sells their off the shelf chipset to them for a good deal.

I think Nintendo’s days of R&D on cpu and GPU are over. They seem to be solely focused on controller or user experience.
Hmm, that would rely on Nvidia who deals with the CPU and GPU of the Switch & my guess is if and when they make a mobile chipset with that performance than I can see the Switch use something like this in the future.

Golvellius

Dec 3, 2017
I'm not really sure if I'm interpreting your point correctly, but re-reading your posts, I think your complaint is that you think you can't run ordinary Win32 / non-UWP apps on this tablet.

But that's not the case. Windows on ARM is fully capable of running nearly all 32-bit Win32 apps automatically, through emulation. The emulation gets better automatically as programs get analyzed in real-time by the emulator, and those optimized emulator profiles get automatically saved for use the next time you run them so that Win32 apps get faster over time over emulation.

The Windows team has also built tools to make it fairly easy for developers to recompile (some) Win32 apps into ARM, so that emulation isn't necessary.

On Browsers specifically, Chrome and Firefox work pretty well through emulation already, and Google and Microsoft are working together to get Chrome natively compiled for ARM. This is in addition to the new version of Edge that Microsoft is working on, which is based on Chromium.
Hi SpartyCrunch,
that sounds great. Is it true that the emulator is not able to run 64-bit (i.e. x64) Windows applications, like someone else claimed?

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
That's odd. Why would they go with the lower-performance version when there's already an SoC with better-specced memory available.
The device is fanless and has a 7W power budget. All the dissipation is through the skin. If they want to be able to drive the big core(s) up to 3GHz they're going to have to give up something else. Memory bandwidth seems like a relatively small hit. I'd really like to ask the SQ1 guys that same question.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Jan 11, 2018
The device is fanless and has a 7W power budget. All the dissipation is through the skin. If they want to be able to drive the big core(s) up to 3GHz they're going to have to give up something else. Memory bandwidth seems like a relatively small hit. I'd really like to ask the SQ1 guys that same question.
At the same time if you're going to tout graphics performance having a large amount of high speed memory is an absolute must. Just as an example upgrading to higher speed ram on just about any integrated GPU can make a massive difference in the graphics performance.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
I’m not sure why you think that, but that redesign and smaller die size was not made for Nintendo’s sake. The die shrink was already used in the X2. Mariko is basically an X2 chip without the memory upgrades and cuda cores.
Mariko's not an X2 and R&D was certainly driven to meet Nintendo's needs (and undoubtedly paid for by them). Just because Pascal resembles a die-shrunk Maxwell doesn't mean Mariko was a ready off the shelf product.

Switch has become such a large market for Tegra that it's going to influence Nvidia's future direction for the line. X1/2 seemed like the end for their mobile first efforts and a shift to automotive but it definitely won't be now.

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
At the same time if you're going to tout graphics performance having a large amount of high speed memory is an absolute must. Just as an example upgrading to higher speed ram on just about any integrated GPU can make a massive difference in the graphics performance.
Only if you want to win benchmarks and not if you want a nice bullet point on the marketing copy.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Jan 11, 2018
Hi SpartyCrunch,
that sounds great. Is it true that the emulator is not able to run 64-bit (i.e. x64) Windows applications, like someone else claimed?
From the official product page
At this time, Surface Pro X will not install 64-bit applications that have not been ported to ARM64, some games and CAD software, and some third-party drivers or anti-virus software. New 64-bit apps are coming to ARM 64 all the time. Find out more in the FAQ

Veliladon

Oct 27, 2017
I don’t think 64-bit apps will be an issue. It would be suicide for MS to release a flagship device that is only limited to 32-bit applications.
The x86 on ARM emulation is provided by xtajit.dll using the WOW64 implementation. There's no provision for 64-bit on 64-bit because...

a) Pre-ARM64, what use would you have for 64-bit on 64-bit? Just use the native runtime.
b) WOW64 predates ARM64.
c) You can just recompile for the new arch and things should (mostly) work.