Is Concrete Genie being sent out to die?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I’m eagerly waiting on the reviews because I think it’s going to be a critical hit.

Something to turn heads. Like Astro Bot.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
It's gotten plenty of promotion and the reviews will be good. Internal sales expectations will be modest because it's not a AAA bonanza. I don't know what some of you on this site expect sometimes.

While it shouldn't really influence Sony's decisions, you just know if it was included in the most recent State of Play it would have been dubbed "filler" or something similarly irksome. Can't win these days.
Facts

get2sammyb

Editor at Push Square
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I would like to turn the question to OP and ask what kind of marketing he expects that the game hasn't received. How do you think it should be promoted?

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to turn the question to OP and ask what kind of marketing he expects that the game hasn't received. How do you think it should be promoted?
isn't the fact that so many people in the first page are saying they had no idea the game is coming out soon, that they thought it was already out or a few people not even knowing what the game proof that the marketing for the game has pretty much failed? if people on a video game forum don't know much about the game that's not a good sign for the general public.

Bundy

Oct 27, 2017
Concrete Genie comes out next Tuesday, but I wouldn't be surprised if many gamers, even those interested in single player action adventure titles were unaware of this. There's been next to zero marketing for the game that I've seen. The last promotional push it got was during Gamescom where it earned some positive previews and nominations and awards from the conference. What gives? Seems like it's at the very least a fairly good game from the press it's received, and fills a niche in Sony's lineup as a more family friendly title. IMO, with some marketing, it could do pretty well for itself.

Why is there zero push for this game? Seems like small, quirky, and/or artistic games like CG, Dreams, and Medievil have fallen out of favor at the corporate level for the massive AAA style experiences World Wide Studios are now primarily known for.
What are you expecting? Concrete Genie is getting the marketing that makes sense for a niche title. Twitter and Facebook posts, PlayStation Access gameplay videos, PlayStation Blog posts, Youtube trailers. A gameplay demo at E3 2018. They even had a preview tour for Concrete Genie. That's the marketing. More (like TV ads) makes no sense.
isn't the fact that so many people in the first page are saying they had no idea the game is coming out soon, that they thought it was already out or a few people not even knowing what the game is prove that the marketing for the game has pretty much failed? if people on a video game forum don't know much about the game that's not a good sign for the general public.
Well then they aren't following the twitter, facebook or PS Blog channel of PlayStation. Or, in the end, they only care about AAA titles on PlayStation. The marketing was there. If you don't know it's coming, you didn't care about it in the first place as it seems. You won't see TV ads for such a small niche title.

Sep 14, 2019
Say what you will about Sony wanting to only give a push to AAA console-sellers, or the marketing making sense for a niche title. MediEvil got a trailer at the last State of Play. It got a demo announced there too. Concrete Genie didn't even get mentioned.

PixelOpus isn't even a third party indie studio. They're a Sony startup that have been with the company since 2014. I honestly think they should have pushed it at State of Play, it looks very fun. It doesn't cost Sony more money to advertise something on their own broadcast.

But, no, it isn't being sent out to die. It will make a decent profit.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Pre-ordered it a few weeks ago after seeing a PlayStation Access video about it. Really sold me on the game.

FelipeMGM

#Skate4
Oct 25, 2017
While it shouldn't really influence Sony's decisions, you just know if it was included in the most recent State of Play it would have been dubbed "filler" or something similarly irksome. Can't win these days.
Sure, but the biggest engagement the public showed this game was because of State of Play. The most viewed trailer for Concrete Genie is the one showcased in March during the first SoP.

This is the SoP with the worst response from the internet and still was the most beneficial thing to this game. Just a reminder that this was coming out in two weeks wouldnt have hurt anyone

FallenHeroX1

Oct 27, 2017
You can count on the VR fanbase to show up for the game.

Can't wait to try out the two VR modes alongside the single-player story and at only $30 to boot!
Nah. Unless they are mind blowing things in VR it's an easy skip. Tired of VR "experiences" and I think most VR users would agree with that sentiment. I was only interested in this game because I thought it was a full on VR optional game.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
isn't the fact that so many people in the first page are saying they had no idea the game is coming out soon, that they thought it was already out or a few people not even knowing what the game proof that the marketing for the game has pretty much failed? if people on a video game forum don't know much about the game that's not a good sign for the general public.
It’s pretty clear that this game is not exactly designed to be a system seller so the marketing for the game is kinda geared towards existing PS4 owners and people who are subscribed to PlayStation social channels. What exactly do you know about the people who posted in the first page, and do they go out of their way to show active interest in Sony’s first-party games that aren’t AAA system sellers?

Hieroph

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, just like Medievil.

Not every game needs to be ridiculously hyped with a marketing budget in the millions. Sony can afford to take it nice and easy with these smaller releases, and Concrete Genie is probably the kind of game to either live or die on word of mouth anyway.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
It’s pretty clear that this game is not a systems seller so the marketing for the game is kinda geared towards existing PS4 owners. What exactly do you know about the people who posted in the first page, and do they do out of their way to show active interest in Sony’s first-party games that aren’t AAA system sellers?
yeah of course it's not a system seller. but the existing ps4 owners are a 100+ million group. i don't think the marketing has reached more than a small fraction of those people. it's a game with a fresh and unique art style and different gameplay, no reason they shouldn't market it more to people who may be into new experiences.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
The reviews will decide this game's fate. The early previews have been fantastic so stay hyped guys.

Not everything needs to be a sales analysis. Let's hope it's great!

Ryengeku

Oct 26, 2017
Georgia, US
Nah. Unless they are mind blowing things in VR it's an easy skip. Tired of VR "experiences" and I think most VR users would agree with that sentiment. I was only interested in this game because I thought it was a full on VR optional game.
We still have plenty of games in VR that just aren't experiences. But besides that, I still love flat games nonetheless and having separate modes that are completely different from the base game still adds value to the package as a whole.

mazi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, just like Medievil.

Not every game needs to be ridiculously hyped with a marketing budget in the millions. Sony can afford to take it nice and easy with these smaller releases, and Concrete Genie is probably the kind of game to either live or die on word of mouth anyway.
when it comes to marketing, there's not only the two options of going all out with multi-million marketing for a AAA game and doing barely anything. there's a lot of room between those two.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
I'm interested in the game, but I hadn't been following enough to know the release date was so soon. Getting Yooka-Laylee instead, but will get Concrete Genie before the year's end, for sure. Medievil, too, now that I think about it.

Bundy

Oct 27, 2017
yeah of course it's not a system seller. but the existing ps4 owners are a 100+ million group. i don't think the marketing has reached more than a small fraction of those people. it's a game with a fresh and unique art style and different gameplay, no reason they shouldn't market it more to people who may be into new experiences.
They did market it. The only thing they didn't to are theater/TV ads. It's a niche title. Of course it only reached a small fraction of the "100 million group".
Like MediEvil, which had dozens of Twitter, Facebook and PS Blog posts, a State of Play trailer and a demo with an exclusive DLC in it. Seriously, I don't know what some of you really expect for such small niche titles.

AudioEppa

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I personally feel like the game has received plenty of support by Sony. So can we stop acting like there’s not levels to this. Unless something drastically changes in the next few years, Games like The Last of Us, God of War, Spider-Man and so on are Sony’s most popular output. Everything else that is considered lighthearted or whatever you want to classify it as will not receive the same marketing push. If you were running PlayStation you wouldn’t do anything different than what’s being done.

At the end of the day the quality of this new IP is going to have to be something amazing to push it beyond whatever special marketing you think it deserves.

I’ll be there day 1 playing it.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
How many people out of 100+ million should this game sell to for it not to “die”? I think the premise of the thread is flawed because Sony has marketed it well at events, on social and it has won awards so perhaps it’s more of a title that Sony is expecting positive word of mouth to help when the reviews hit. At the end of the day, you are picking up on something that in total relates to a tiny number of people on a forum. There is no reliable correlation between that and the general public. There was a narrative on Era that Marvel’s Spider-Man was niche.

NLCPRESIDENT

Oct 25, 2017
Midwest
Sent out to die? The market stays crowded, meaning anytime it drops could be sent to die there may be no perfect time to launch, But the $30 price point more it easier. I'm personally day 1.

Plus if reviews are good it'll do good for a game of it's type.

Bundy

Oct 27, 2017
I personally feel like the game has received plenty of support by Sony. So can we stop acting like there’s not levels to this. Unless something drastically changes in the next few years, Games like The Last of Us, God of War, Spider-Man and so on are Sony’s most popular output. Everything else that is considered lighthearted or whatever you want to classify it as will not receive the same marketing push.
Yep. It received all the "marketing" such a small niche titel can get. Maybe another trailer in the last Sop? Okay. Other than that, it received basically everything. Forget TV ads.

Shpeshal Ed

Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Wait it comes out next week? Yikes.

I thought it was still ages away. Well yeah definitely being sent out to the deep end to see if it can swim on its own at least.

I’d wager only unexpectedly good reviews would help it. I say unexpectedly because it frankly looks mediocre as to me.

Jun 18, 2019
I went to see Joker today, and beforehand there were two Playstation trailers - one for PS Now and one for Death Stranding. Looks like that's where Sony are focusing their marketing muscle right now.

From the trailers it looks wonderful, and I'm absolutely planning to pick it up if reviews are good.

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Wait it comes out next week? Yikes.

I thought it was still ages away. Well yeah definitely being sent out to the deep end to see if it can swim on its own at least.

I’d wager only unexpectedly good reviews would help it. I say unexpectedly because it frankly looks mediocre as to me.
What about it looks mediocre?

Benzychenz

Nov 1, 2017
Australia
I do find it odd that Amazon Australia doesn't have it up from pre-order from themselves, and it's only listed by one sole third party seller. Not sure if that's on Sony or not.

Rosebud

Apr 16, 2018
I went to see Joker today, and beforehand there were two Playstation trailers - one for PS Now and one for Death Stranding. Looks like that's where Sony are focusing their marketing muscle right now.

From the trailers it looks wonderful, and I'm absolutely planning to pick it up if reviews are good.
They are doing ads for PS Now in Joker? lol, they really are serious.