• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

The John Linneman aka Dark1x And DF Appreciation thread

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
Love the Digital Foundry team, you guys put in a crazy amount of work that I think is lost on the casual viewer. Take care of yourself, however that means for you John (and anyone else reading this).

Kilrogg

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks and, yeah, the whole team is awesome. Love working with these guys! That includes the fifth “behind the scenes” member - Will! He does a lot of PC hardware stuff and he’s amazing at handling it all! :-)

Thanks for all the kind words!
Hell yeah. Hurray for Will too, then ;).

And you're welcome. The praise is entirely deserved.

mattp

Oct 25, 2017
NJ
One last thing I'd like to add re: your content

I find it refreshing to find a series which is overwhelmingly about raving about games, rather than tearing them down. I find most youtube reviews to be overly cynical or angry. The shows that are overtly positive, that seem to love what they're covering, are my favorites. Your show actually reminds me quite a bit of another show I like in terms of presentation and positive attitude: Splash Wave.
i hadn't really thought of this, but it's a really great point
the majority of videogame coverage on youtube is some variation on the angry/ranting nerd schtick and i think thats why i tend to gravitate towards channels like df retro and game makers toolkit

swsp

Oct 27, 2017
Hey John: I just started Cane and Rinse’s Dreamcast episode and you have no idea how surprised and excited I was when I heard you introduced. I’m looking forward to listening to the rest of the episode on my commute the next few days!

Noise

Oct 25, 2017
Hey John: I just started Cane and Rinse’s Dreamcast episode and you have no idea how surprised and excited I was when I heard you introduced. I’m looking forward to listening to the rest of the episode on my commute the next few days!
oh snap they put out a dreamcast episode?! AND Linneman's on it?! I'm assuming it's still a patreon exclusive as I don't see it on my podcasts app but hot diggity damn I can't wait to dive into this. Love their console specials.

swsp

Oct 27, 2017
oh snap they put out a dreamcast episode?! AND Linneman's on it?! I'm assuming it's still a patreon exclusive as I don't see it on my podcasts app but hot diggity damn I can't wait to dive into this. Love their console specials.
Yep, Patreon only for a few months I think.

metsallica

Oct 27, 2017
Who are Cane and Rinse? Haven't heard of them before, always up for more quality gaming journalism!

Selina

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Top 5 channels on YouTube. I love watching your vids, guys.

Keep up the good work.

EhieYovach

Apr 3, 2018
DF is one of the most solid and respected gaming outlets, this vocal minority is probably a bunch of contrarians that something things because it is popular. And because it is the internet they have to be idiots and attack people personally instead of providing constructive criticism (not that they probably have any anways)

DF Retro is fucking fantastic, a new one of those is always a treat.

metsallica

Oct 27, 2017

Each episode is a deep dive on a single game (occasionally multiple games from a franchise).

They also do quarterly platform specials where John was previously on their Genesis/Mega Drive episode.
I saw the website but I was more looking for an "about" section or something like that. Who are they? Why should I care about what they have to say? I'm not familiar with either person. Not trying to disparage or anything!

swsp

Oct 27, 2017
I saw the website but I was more looking for an "about" section or something like that. Who are they? Why should I care about what they have to say? I'm not familiar with either person. Not trying to disparage or anything!
I wasn't familiar with them either until about 2 months ago and I don't think the regulars were visible in the industry before Cane and Rinse, so I can't really give you an overview of "this person is from here, that person is from there". I started with one of their platform specials, enjoyed the discussion, then have just been selecting episodes I'm interested in from their backlog. I generally like the discussion, and just finished going through all of their Final Fantasy, Zelda, and Witcher episodes. The cast is typically just a group of late 30-somethings discussing their memories of a game and their thoughts upon revisiting it. It can be a bit dry and formulaic, but the format's certainly consistent and I enjoy it enough to kick them $1 a month for the Patreon feed.

Shambalakan

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I usually don't watch these types of videos, but DF videos (specially DF Retro) are so good and really love them.
Please make a DF Retro about Gran Turismo series!