• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Somnia

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Twitch could introduce loyalty bonuses for sticking with them long term or even guaranteed contracts for some of the larger streamers with the caveat that they stream exclusively on Twitch for X number of years.

This reminds me of the mid 90's when Ted Turner turned WCW from a small show no one really cared about into a Worldwide mega brand that eventually went on to dominate the biggest brand on the market at the time (WWF) by poaching their biggest talent. That whole thing brought about guaranteed contracts for pro wrestlers benefiting them greatly so hopefully this corporate spending can do the same for streamers.

They're actually signing streamers also, you just don't hear much a lot about it. They signed Nickmercs to a multi year contract recently.

Oct 29, 2017
Wow, I was watching his stream the day it was announced that Ninja was moving to Mixer and I remember Goth saying it would be unlikely he would do the same (lots of folks in chat were asking him if he would, or if he though Mixer would even approach him about it). Nuts.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I was watching his stream the day it was announced that Ninja was moving to Mixer and I remember Goth saying it would be unlikely he would do the same (lots of folks in chat were asking him if he would, or if he though Mixer would even approach him about it). Nuts.
Wich is weird because he said the started talking after during and after Guardiancon and that is in June. Ninja moved in August.

Oct 29, 2017
Wich is weird because he said the started talking after during and after Guardiancon and that is in June. Ninja moved in August.

Huh, maybe he just didn't want to talk about it before things were solidified or finalized? Or maybe he didn't think the deal would follow through? Either way, I hope he's getting a decent enough payout to make the move. He's always seemed like a good dude.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
Good for him! No really, I'm happy for him, he was always the only major Destiny streamer I followed.

Hope he got paid because his content was always good.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Good for him. Go get the bag.

Summit1G next? Moon?

Now that I've thought about it, I don't think Pokimane moves unless they take her whole OfflineTV crew. They could and probably should do that tbqh.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm not a fan of Goth at all cause of some of the stuff he's said about Destiny and the way he can come across (I have the same issues with CohhCarnage to be fair) and stuff but this is a big get for Mixer

So when is DSP going? I legit wanna see that, if only for the Drama that'll come from it

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
That's where I get a little nervous.

Feel like at this point decent sized streamers are gonna expect a check at this point and not hop over on there own. It would take Mixer having a shit ton of viewership for those type of streamers to make the jump on their own with no money attached.
I mean...

If they aren't offering them the bag, what would be the incentive for any streamer to move to Mixer? You're talking about a huge amount of risk to your income and livestyle with no safety net if the bulk of your subs don't join you on the new platform.

It'd be like moving to Epic Games Store exclusively without them offering you a bag to do so. Who in their right mind would do that?

For it to have required no thought at all for Gothalion to move to Mixer means the bag was big enough for him to not have to worry about his sub count ever again. It's the only way or reason anyone who is already established in any meaningful way to consider Mixer. And with only a few channels outside of these big names pulling north of 1000 viewers (currently just 4 such channels on Mixer currently compared to more than 160 such channels on Twitch currently), the growth potential for a given streamer (never mind retention from Twitch -> Mixer) seems extremely low and Mixer's audience barely a fraction of Twitch's. Maybe it will get better/stronger (which could be incentive in and of itself to a streamer who may want to get in on the ground floor if they really believe in the platform), but I'm just not seeing it. Twitch will more likely just get more competitive offering bags to their favorites and upping their own bit rate to match Mixer.

I'd be very interested in seeing Mixer's analytics. I'd really like to know how much viewer trickle-down is happening for their streamers. My instincts tell me that people who love Ninja/Goth/Shroud will tune in for them...then go right back to Twitch when those streams are over. How many are staying on Mixer and checking out a streamer they are new to? I wonder.

Mr_DyZ

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jun 12, 2019
LMAO "Yeah either just rearrange your house so your computer and TV are next to each other or buy a whole new computer!"

Please don't be dismissive of legit valid reasons people wouldn't switch. There are dumb reasons, but there are also good reasons such as lack of app support vs Twitch for many devices, not just PS4.

Don't be lazy.

Racerprose

Banned
Aug 26, 2019
These streamers moving will have contracts they say they have to stay for a certain period. When that is over, I think you will many move back as MS will probably not renew with them the same loads of cash originally offered. The money will get lighter, they will have less viewers, so they will just go back and forth between twitch and mixer. It will annoy their base and in the end, that short term win for them will turn out bad. Some will recover, some will not.

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Summit1G next? Moon?
I absolutely see summit as one of the next to make the move. But I absolutely believe moonmoon will NEVER move from twitch. His response to Ninja's original move and his general approach to streaming that is far less (overtly) focused on money just would not be able to be bought to move to mixer. I know everyone has a price, but his would be so high that it wouldn't be feasible IMO.

Goda

Oct 26, 2017
Toronto
If Mixer can get someone like xQc, Twitch is going to be in real trouble.

King's stream already has 5k viewers which is more than he usually had on Twitch.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
If Mixer can get someone like xQc, Twitch is going to be in real trouble.

King's stream already has 5k viewers which is more than he usually had on Twitch.
Doubtful he will switch up unless the offer is HUGE. He's talked pretty recently about how important the community is he built up, and I actually tend to believe him over others that have said the same. But, you are right, if they do get him Twitch will certainly lose a big one.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
I'm not a fan of Goth at all cause of some of the stuff he's said about Destiny and the way he can come across (I have the same issues with CohhCarnage to be fair) and stuff but this is a big get for Mixer

So when is DSP going? I legit wanna see that, if only for the Drama that'll come from it

How the hell can anyone not like Cohh? Hes the most inoffensive streamer i've ever seen.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
How the hell can anyone not like Cohh? Hes the most inoffensive streamer i've ever seen.

He has got a lot better but has done things in the past that rubbed me the wrong way, for example Streaming a few hours after his kids were born, its more of a "dude go enjoy that, fans will be waiting" kinda thing, but he was back and streaming so quick it just felt wrong, (btw Goth did this as well) there are other things that I've forgotten over the years and sometimes he can come across as being a bit fake but even so I do still watch him on occasion (I loved his Fallout stuff cause the 100% hardcore runs are kinda fun to watch)

Deleted member 55421

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Ninja was already bleeding viewers before he even made the move. He pulled out of Twitch at the perfect time.

Yeah its odd. Im sure him playing 24/7 fortnite isnt helping him. I mean even me, sometimes i go in and i wanna watch someone, but i see him playing fortnite for the one million time and im like, meh. Its such a boring game to watch and he plays it literally all the time.

Is there another streamer like him thats literally only playing one game full time?? It cant help. he played MW for like 2 hours then went back to that boring ass fortnite grind.

Shit, PLAY SOMETHING ELSE FOR GOD SAKES!

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be very interested in seeing Mixer's analytics. I'd really like to know how much viewer trickle-down is happening for their streamers. My instincts tell me that people who love Ninja/Goth/Shroud will tune in for them...then go right back to Twitch when those streams are over. How many are staying on Mixer and checking out a streamer they are new to? I wonder.
That's something I was thinking about the other day. I don't watch anyone that moved but if I did and they weren't streaming well I have plenty of other people I follow so I would just go to one of those instead if I wanted to watch a stream.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
That's something I was thinking about the other day. I don't watch anyone that moved but if I did and they weren't streaming well I have plenty of other people I follow so I would just go to one of those instead if I wanted to watch a stream.

I really don't get this at all. If you watch a streamer its because you enjoy their content. What does it matter if they stream on mixer, twitch, youtube, facebook or wherever? I've followed people regardless of where they are because it literally is just a different app on my ipad or website address in my browser...

Very odd that the platform they are in would matter in any way at all.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019

But this is Ninja tho. His Instagram videos sometimes hit 900k, even now. Why is that not translating to him streaming? Clearly he has a huge fanbase.

Mirage

Oct 25, 2017
I really don't get this at all. If you watch a streamer its because you enjoy their content. What does it matter if they stream on mixer, twitch, youtube, facebook or wherever? I've followed people regardless of where they are because it literally is just a different app on my ipad or website address in my browser...

Very odd that the platform they are in would matter in any way at all.
No I mean like I would watch someone on Mixer if they moved. But if they weren't streaming I would more likely go back to someone I'm already following rather than seek out someone new on Mixer.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah its odd. Im sure him playing 24/7 fortnite isnt helping him. I mean even me, sometimes i go in and i wanna watch someone, but i see him playing fortnite for the one million time and im like, meh. Its such a boring game to watch and he plays it literally all the time.

Is there another streamer like him thats literally only playing one game full time?? It cant help. he played MW for like 2 hours then went back to that boring ass fortnite grind.

Lol he can play what he wants. If he enjoys Fortnite let him be. I have a friend who has one game and that is BF1. And he only plays that all the time. Just let people play what they want. That is many games or one game. Not everyone is the same.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Lol he can play what he wants. If he enjoys Fortnite let him be. I have a friend who has one game and that is BF1. And he only plays that all the time. Just let people play what they want. That is many games or one game. Not everyone is the same.

I understand, but his streaming is now a business for mixer. They brought him to help bring in viewers, not lose them. Hes not just little Joe, streaming to 300 people from him moms basement anymore.

Yes, people should play what they want. But hes not just regular people anymore.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
I understand, but his streaming is now a business for mixer. They brought him to help bring in viewers, not lose them. Hes not just little Joe, streaming to 300 people from him moms basement anymore.

Yes, people should play what they want. But hes not just regular people anymore.
Then it doesnt make sense what you are saying. He gets the most viewers with Fortnite. So MS should force him to play Fortnite? But then you say he needs to play something else because all he does is play one game.

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
No I mean like I would watch someone on Mixer if they moved. But if they weren't streaming I would more likely go back to someone I'm already following rather than seek out someone new on Mixer.

Ah got ya. That makes sense. However, I've followed people to mixer and seen other streams and ended up watching them for a bit. I mean I think the thing is once you get to following saturation you don't need more content. But I think the play is to get more people using Mixer full stop. Whether they hang around follow and sub to others is probably less important to anyone right now.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
Then it doesnt make sense what you are saying. He gets the most viewers with Fortnite. So MS should force him to play Fortnite? But then you say he needs to play something else because all he does is play one game.

Im saying variety helps. If you play other games, then you bring in those fans to watch you and potentially gain viewers long term. If you dont play anything else, then you dont have a chance to gain any those people as viewers. its common sense.

Deleted member 19024

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I obviously don't know the streamer business well enough to say definitively, but I'd wager that MS was looking to get "big fish" from different directories to promote more people to join those directories on Mixer. I figure it's something like this, "ok, we got Ninja, our Fortnite guy. Shroud will be the CoD guy and Goth is our Destiny guy..." and so on. I'd imagine they are very encouraged to play those games for some percentage of their streaming time. Goth was leaning heavy into Borderlands 3 back on Twitch, so we'll see how much that holds up in his early time on Mixer. That's at least what it looks like from these 3 acquisitions, and I'm sure more are coming.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I obviously don't know the streamer business well enough to say definitively, but I'd wager that MS was looking to get "big fish" from different directories to promote more people to join those directories on Mixer. I figure it's something like this, "ok, we got Ninja, our Fortnite guy. Shroud will be the CoD guy and Goth is our Destiny guy..." and so on. I'd imagine they are very encouraged to play those games for some percentage of their streaming time. Goth was leaning heavy into Borderlands 3 back on Twitch, so we'll see how much that holds up in his early time on Mixer. That's at least what it looks like from these 3 acquisitions, and I'm sure more are coming.

Right, thats a possibility. I mean if hes ok with going from 30-40k to 8-10k, hey all the power to him. I personally would not be happy with that and id try something different. But thats me.

Deleted member 19024

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Right, thats a possibility. I mean if hes ok with going from 30-40k to 8-10k, hey all the power to him. I personally would not be happy with that and id try something different. But thats me.

I'd even wager that Ninja had no more room to grow on Twitch as it was...but the current success metric is growth potential for the platform as a whole and percentage of either total or directory viewership. Those guys are going to be the ones credited for Mixer's eventual growth. Couple that with the dump truck of cash they likely emptied on these guys' lawns and I'm they are happy taking a hit now to build runway for themselves. These guys have become businessmen as much as they are gamers. Look at Goth, he's not just a streamer, he's got his hands in multiple cookie jars. He and Broman are running King's Coast Coffee, they own a company called Rare Drop (no clue what it actually does), and then GCX (formerly GuardianCon), and have talked for years about getting into a restaurant or barcade type of business.

On the other side, this is arguably cheap advertising for Microsoft and builds a lot of community buy-in. Mixer integration being built into Windows and Xbox may keep it closer to the top of peoples' lists come next gen. This investment is all a long play and not something intended to show immediate payoff, for MS or even the streamers.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
He has got a lot better but has done things in the past that rubbed me the wrong way, for example Streaming a few hours after his kids were born, its more of a "dude go enjoy that, fans will be waiting" kinda thing, but he was back and streaming so quick it just felt wrong, (btw Goth did this as well) there are other things that I've forgotten over the years and sometimes he can come across as being a bit fake but even so I do still watch him on occasion (I loved his Fallout stuff cause the 100% hardcore runs are kinda fun to watch)

I guess i can understand what youre saying about the kids. My game time dropped off a cliff when my kids were born. But at the same time, this is what pays for the diapers so i get it.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
I'd even wager that Ninja had no more room to grow on Twitch as it was...but the current success metric is growth potential for the platform as a whole and percentage of either total or directory viewership. Those guys are going to be the ones credited for Mixer's eventual growth. Couple that with the dump truck of cash they likely emptied on these guys' lawns and I'm they are happy taking a hit now to build runway for themselves. These guys have become businessmen as much as they are gamers. Look at Goth, he's not just a streamer, he's got his hands in multiple cookie jars. He and Broman are running King's Coast Coffee, they own a company called Rare Drop (no clue what it actually does), and then GCX (formerly GuardianCon), and have talked for years about getting into a restaurant or barcade type of business.

On the other side, this is arguably cheap advertising for Microsoft and builds a lot of community buy-in. Mixer integration being built into Windows and Xbox may keep it closer to the top of peoples' lists come next gen. This investment is all a long play and not something intended to show immediate payoff, for MS or even the streamers.

Ya i agree. im just baffled by how he can get 900k+ views and likes on an Instagram video of him gaming, but then has 10K actual viewers. Where are all these people?

Oct 27, 2017
Ya i agree. im just baffled by how he can get 900k+ views and likes on an Instagram video of him gaming, but then has 10K actual viewers. Where are all these people?
I mean kids are in school and aren't just watching twitch on their phones, but they still follow him. Same goes for a musician like Demi Lovato who has like 70 mill IG followers but her albums sell a speck of that. They transcend their jobs and are a celeb. Ninja, those FaZe guys etc are just personalities to a lot of people

s3ltz3r

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Did Microsoft pay him out? I guess Twitch is losing momentum.

I find YouTube streaming to be better. I watch YouTube all the time, and watching a stream is seamless.

I keep thinking Mixr is a blender brand.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

Because 10k is just peak at that time.
For example Gothalion had a peak of 9000 viewers during his first stream yesterday. But his overall views over the whole day were 200k viewers. So thats more a fair comparison to like the Instagram views.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Im saying variety helps. If you play other games, then you bring in those fans to watch you and potentially gain viewers long term. If you dont play anything else, then you dont have a chance to gain any those people as viewers. its common sense.
There was a near zero chance Ninja would gain viewers long term from going to Mixer. A almost definitely big part of why he went was so he could stop worried about view and sub count and just play what he wants. MS in return got a lot of press from it for a little while.

Grimace McRib

Oct 27, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
I've had Goth on in the background since the early days of D1, and he always said if Microsoft ponied up the money he'd consider it. I think he'll do very good on Mixer, and it'll probably help his buds like Broman try to climb to the top of the directory.

Deleted member 55421

Banned
Mar 29, 2019
There was a near zero chance Ninja would gain viewers long term from going to Mixer. A almost definitely big part of why he went was so he could stop worried about view and sub count and just play what he wants. MS in return got a lot of press from it for a little while.

If he continues to get close to one million views/likes on his posts, MS will get promotion from that for a long while.

Deleted member 19024

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've had Goth on in the background since the early days of D1, and he always said if Microsoft ponied up the money he'd consider it. I think he'll do very good on Mixer, and it'll probably help his buds like Broman try to climb to the top of the directory.

Yeah, I think Broman is probably pretty happy to slide up closer to the top of that directory. He's a good dude and I watch him, but far less charismatic and honestly, as long as Goth was there, he never had a chance. He barely pulled 1/3 of Goth's numbers most of the time. Overall, I think this is good for streaming as a whole and is making more room for others to be discovered on either platorm.

The biggest bummer for me is seeing that The Mexican Runner (my #2 most watched streamer and the only paid sub I actually had) is moving his stream to Facebook. You couldn't pick a worse platform to align yourself with right now.

SCB360

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I guess i can understand what youre saying about the kids. My game time dropped off a cliff when my kids were born. But at the same time, this is what pays for the diapers so i get it.

it wasn't so much that he had kids, I have them its great and hard, it was more that he literally was on Stream hours after his wife had given birth, it was more like I wanted him to take some time away and enjoy that part rather than rush back