Religion & Politics Forum Closed as of 27 March 2019

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Beat Writer

Hey Escapists,

We've made the difficult decision to shutter our Religion & Politics subforum. We realize that this may surprise many of you, considering it's one of the most active sections of the V1 forums, but its conclusion aligns with our collective vision for the future of Escapist Magazine Volume Two.

We're not quite ready to reveal all of our future plans just yet, but know that we are hard at work on all of V2's features, forums included. We have a lot of valuable feedback from the survey we conducted several weeks back and are looking to implement many of the suggestions we received alongside our own.

Thank you for your patience, your understanding, and your dedication as part of Escapist Magazine's incredible community. We very much look forward to growing alongside you and being better together.

Kyle Gaddo
Community Manager
Escapist Magazine Volume Two

Trump put kids in cages!

But, why? What is your 'collective vision for the future' that apparently excludes the user base?

Professional Thread Derailer

And nothing of value was lost.

Premium Member

Presumably one in which controversial topics are not discussed. So unfortunate.

Or one built around a specific enforced political angle.

Trump put kids in cages!

crimson5pheonix:
And nothing of value was lost.

I know this will surprise you, but I liked arguing politics on here cause it wasn't an echo chamber. Yeah, I got into heated arguments with people, but believe it or not, as much as what people said might piss me off, I valued that there was actual argument and debate and not just an echo chamber that silences and downvotes any opposing view.

Reddit sucks for arguing politics.

Premium Member

Saelune:
I know this will surprise you, but I liked arguing politics on here cause it wasn't an echo chamber. Yeah, I got into heated arguments with people, but believe it or not, as much as what people said might piss me off, I valued that there was actual argument and debate and not just an echo chamber that silences and downvotes any opposing view.

Another one of those occasional things I agree with you about.

Formely gone Gonzo

And that was my favorite forum to discuss politics... :(

RIP R&P;

Trump put kids in cages!

Schadrach:

Saelune:

Another one of those occasional things I agree with you about.

There is a reason I am willing to spend pages and pages responding to people who vehemently disagree with me. If I truly hated it, I wouldn't do it.

Beat Writer

The Off-Topic subforum is available for you to carry on discourse of this nature, but you should strictly adhere to our updated code of conduct.

benis

Woah. Didn't expect that. Well Off-topic gonna be a lost messier now.

Professional Thread Derailer

Oh, RIP. I guess a lot of the people around the office weren't here before R&P;?

If it ain't broken, get to work

A terrible decision through and through. Nice job.

Premium Member

This is a tremendously poor decision. It was made with no meaningful discussion with the community, and it alienates a significant chunk of those few people who stayed with The Escapist during the 'interregnum' (the period between the old owners and the new ones).

Kyle Gaddo:
The Off-Topic subforum is available for you to carry on discourse of this nature, but you should strictly adhere to our updated code of conduct.

It's not really, though, is it? If we made threads on the same topics with anywhere near the same frequency in Off Topic, it would completely change the character of that board, and piss off the regulars there. Everybody would be less happy than they were.

Gone Gonzo

Don't think that is a good idea.

But let's see, of the politics topics now flood off-topic or if the site just loses traffic and members.

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.

Kyle Gaddo:
Hey Escapists,

We?ve made the difficult decision to shutter our Religion & Politics subforum. We realize that this may surprise many of you, considering it?s one of the most active sections of the V1 forums, but its conclusion aligns with our collective vision for the future of Escapist Magazine Volume Two.

We?re not quite ready to reveal all of our future plans just yet, but know that we are hard at work on all of V2?s features, forums included. We have a lot of valuable feedback from the survey we conducted several weeks back and are looking to implement many of the suggestions we received alongside our own.

Thank you for your patience, your understanding, and your dedication as part of Escapist Magazine?s incredible community. We very much look forward to growing alongside you and being better together.

Kyle Gaddo
Community Manager

NICE!

Took you long enough to close down that toxic mess but you finally went and did it. Good job!

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.

Now, when are you gonna bring back the Wild West forums?

Premium Member

Silvanus:
This is a tremendously poor decision. It was made with no meaningful discussion with the community, and it alienates a significant chunk of those few people who stayed with The Escapist during the 'interregnum' (the period between the old owners and the new ones).

Well, I didn't stay with the escapist during that period, so i don't make that list. Chances are my second stay here just got substantially shortened.

Saelune:

It's really hard to find any non-echo chamber, but reddit might be the worst. Visibility sorted by popularity causes a natural cycle of positive reinforcement for even the slimmest majority, and that's before comments get removed without explanation. You can have a genuine 55%-45% split on an issue that, and it's rare the post won't degrade into an echo chamber of that 55% opinion.

I'll stay floating around here for a bit and see what comes of this, but in addition to being a Catholic Republican conservative, I'm also a Nintendo person, so if I'm gonna side opposite most of the forum anyway, I'd rather it be about something meaningful.

Premium Member

Is there anything new to note in the revised CoC?

RIP R&P;

Premium Member

Since the future plans can't be revealed yet, I'm gonna go ahead and start with the baseless speculation: R&P; is being shut down so that V2 can have its own Politics subforum and a separate one for things like those history topics Samtemdo often made

Phone Poster

vallorn:

Kyle Gaddo:
Hey Escapists,

We?ve made the difficult decision to shutter our Religion & Politics subforum. We realize that this may surprise many of you, considering it?s one of the most active sections of the V1 forums, but its conclusion aligns with our collective vision for the future of Escapist Magazine Volume Two.

We?re not quite ready to reveal all of our future plans just yet, but know that we are hard at work on all of V2?s features, forums included. We have a lot of valuable feedback from the survey we conducted several weeks back and are looking to implement many of the suggestions we received alongside our own.

Thank you for your patience, your understanding, and your dedication as part of Escapist Magazine?s incredible community. We very much look forward to growing alongside you and being better together.

Kyle Gaddo
Community Manager

NICE!

Took you long enough to close down that toxic mess but you finally went and did it. Good job!

R&P; is going to flood off topic like the old days. Though it seems like it will be temporary until they merge the forums with the new version of the escapist.

Premium Member

Marik2:

R&P; is going to flood off topic like the old days. Though it seems like it will be temporary until they merge the forums with the new version of the escapist.

I was glad when R&P; was made, because Off-Topic seemed to have plenty more people who'd pour abuse on you if they disagreed. But that was a l-o-n-g time ago.

Still, out with the old and in with the new. Including, potentially, some of the site users going out if they're not getting their fix after their favourite section was shuttered. But heigh-ho.

Wordsmith Extraordinaire

Ah, nice, I was looking for an example of what happens when decisions are made by a small handful of people without consulting stakeholders. Thanks for demonstrating, once again, just another small way in which capitalism sucks.

Gone Gonzo

This is just... balls. I mean I guess we'll see what v2 brings; I hope that Palindro is correct.

Kyle Gaddo:
Snip

Honestly, this site is y'all's to do with as owners/staff, but the completely blindside nature of this change is a really unprofessional look. You're trying to shepard the site towards v2 which is cool, but would giving us users a week or even a day of notice have been all that hard? A little bit of user engagement goes a long way when designing something new.

Premium Member

I find myself uncaring at this news.

Why, or Why Not?

Wouldn't call it a difficult decision. Place was a shithole and a pain in the ass to moderate due to people tiptoeing on the line of punishable posts.
Edit: During my time moderating, anyway. Not sure how it was after I left.

Red Guard
Captain of the Henchmen

McElroy:

RIP R&P;

Our position on hate speech is more explicitly defined, and has been moved to the zero tolerance bracket along with sexist and perverted remarks, but otherwise the CoC should be largely familiar.

Trump put kids in cages!

vallorn:

Kyle Gaddo:
Hey Escapists,

Kyle Gaddo
Community Manager

NICE!

Katherine Kerensky:
Wouldn't call it a difficult decision. Place was a shithole and a pain in the ass to moderate due to people tiptoeing on the line of punishable posts.
Edit: During my time moderating, anyway. Not sure how it was after I left.

You do realize this isn't the victory you think it is. R&P; topics aren't going away, just a place specifically for them is. This is a lose for anyone who doesn't want to see political discussions, not a win for anyone.

Trump put kids in cages!

JoJo:

McElroy:

RIP R&P;

Our position on hate speech is more explicitly defined, and has been moved to the zero tolerance bracket along with sexist and perverted remarks, but otherwise the CoC should be largely familiar.

I will believe it when I see it. A lot of bigotry has gone overlooked. We need to not pretend that the only way someone is bigoted is if they say racial slurs.

Why, or Why Not?

Saelune:
You do realize

Don't care. Place was a shithole. Don't care what it means for any unfortunates that honed their ban-dodging craft in there.

Friendship is Tragic

Kyle Gaddo:

Are you joking? You're five days early...

There's a reason R&P; was created in the first place and that its threads don't show up in the latest post box. It's to keep that crap contained so it doesn't consume the whole forum.

Premium Member

This is a terrible decision.

R&P; posters will be pissed at how their subforum and all active threads were shut down with no warning. OT posters will be pissed at all the new politics discussion flowing in. No-one will be happy.

And I disagree with the statement that R&P; was a cesspool. It had gotten a lot better over the past few years, due in no small part to the efforts of long-term posters to maintain a culture of civil debate over shitposting. Compared to Reddit, R&P; was the Elysium goddamn Fields.

Beat Writer

Again, I understand your concerns. This is genuinely where we are all hoping that you are all proponents of self-moderation as we believe you are. Evaluation of yourselves, your thoughts, your actions, is going to be critical at this point in time. Genuinely ask yourself "Is this needed here? Is my voice specifically needed here?" whenever you're posting about sensitive topics. I am hoping your consciences guide you, because it makes it easier on us all.

Revelation 9:6

FFFF
F
FFFF
F
F

I'm going to miss R&P; and all the friends I've made along the way. Ah well.

I can still keep my current avatar, right?

SKOL!
Beloved Tyrant

To be kind of blunt...

This feels like a completely half-assed attempt to please everyone but will please no one.

Personally, I'd much rather have Politics & Religion just banned from the board. This is a gaming site; you want to talk about Trump, plenty of sites that offer that kind of thing. BUT if you're going to insist on letting it be here, having it just go into Off-Topic instead of it's own spot seems like the worst solution you could have. Off Topic people are going to be irked that a bunch of R&P; topics are in there (and I can't see R&P; anymore to know for sure but I feel like it is probably a 5:1 thread creation if I had to guess which is going to drown out OT real quick). Adding a "Politics" tag to the thread names isn't going to do anything to help OT topics not get drowned out...

My assumption is that this is so the "normal" Moderation standards would start being applied (R&P; has always been a lot lighter on the Mod touch) but you can just do normal moderation in the R&P; instead of the dancing around the issues and letting people say whatever they want because they're "High Emotion" topics.

I've got a lot more I could say based on my experiences from being a Mod but I'm not planning on discussing that publicly here but if you are interested in further thoughts from me from that viewpoint, feel free to reach out to me Kyle. No expectation or anything; completely up to you.

An actual fartknocker.

The few times I've bothered to check R&P; in recent history has shown a few history threads of moderate interest followed by gads of "Trump did X" threads. I don't mind the history topics coming over, but I'm hardly excited about the prospect of seeing five ongoing [POLITICS] TRUMP SMELLS AND THIS IS WHY threads filling up the front page of offtopic.

When the Wild West got the axe, I had my eye on R&P; and the discussion of politics in general on the site as the next thing on the chopping block, given I felt that the majority of shit behavior, shit tactics, and general shittyness was born and honed to a fine edge there. But, we had a post from a mod whom I can't remember the name of appealing to the group to take it easy. Most of the bad actors had been dealt with, modding was tightening up to keep unpleasantness down, and hey the site is slow these days anyway so even if another topic explodes on the internet its probably not gonna be that bad. So, I sat back, had a think, and decided that they were probably right. Even in spite of my various opinions on the quality of discourse in R&P;, as long as it doesn't boil over its not that big of a deal. I don't have to go there if I don't want to, people who do want to go there can live it up talking about whatever they want, everybody is approximately happy.

So that's why I don't understand this decision at all. Not only are we now mixing up the pots and making people deal with whatever the outcome is, but we're gonna start to see off topic threads and politics threads start fighting for front page space. If R&P; ends up dominating, its just gonna be the same thing as before, except for some reason the politics tab is labeled offtopic.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked