• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Target Buy 2 Get 1 Free on all Games (excluding Switch) returns 10/29 - 11/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Areez

Oct 27, 2017
Just wanted to point this out for those who weren't aware this promo is coming. Buy 2 get 1 free on any games, excluding Switch. With all the big releases hitting right now this is pretty great timing to pick up a stack

One of my favorite deals...just wish Switch games were included!

JHoNNy1OoO

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Does Target charge immediately on preorder?

Edit: ^ What he said lol
They will immediately do a temp charge and it'll go away. I did this last year and I still haven't been fully charged for some games I pre-ordered. Every month or so they do the temp amount on my CC though to make sure the form of payment is still valid.

Blaine

Oct 27, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Fuck I wonder if Best Buy will match this. With the GCU discount this would be an even better deal
Former Best Buy employee here. They might "match" in the sense of offering an identical or similar promo, but they won't honor it on price match. They only match listed prices, not "gimmick" promotions like this one.

Now, with that said, you could get lucky with your CSR/manager. Price match is at the discretion of the manager and their awareness of company guidelines or willingness to bend on them can vary. Personally, when I was making decisions like this, I might have bent the rules if a customer walked up with a stack of six $60 games looking to get two free--if they were nice and didn't act like they were entitled. Being a GCU member helps in this regard too, seeing as this indicates you're a loyal customer. TBH, I usually bent over backwards to ensure GCU members were happy because they drop a lot of cash in-store on a consistent basis.

TearablePuns

Oct 26, 2017
Just went with Spider-Man, God of War, and Red Dead Redemption 2.
I always struggle with which games to go with for this deal every year.
Basically only choose games I know I will find time to play with my busy schedule these days

Bloodsent

Oct 25, 2017
Does Target's preorder "Standard Shipping" not ship until release date of a game, or do you usually get release date delivery anyway?

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah oddly enough Nintendo usually gets their own sale from target/bb. I think last year was b2g1 30% off or something.

I did all these preorders but maybe 1/2 or 3/4 I'll cancel/return. Figured I'd hedge my bets now and if I do want to play it day 1 for cheaper, I'll have the option

What games are you set on getting?
To maximize you want to get games at the same price point. So if you have 2 you want at 60 and 1 at 40. Do 2 orders, your 2 60 games plus a dummy in one order. Your 40 + 2 dummies >40 for your 2nd order. The cancel the dummies after your order.
I'm still having issues with the tax. I've made two separate orders for South Park Gold. One had two other $60 games, the others had two $150 games. The ones with the $150 games came out more than the $60 games by $3. My understanding is the one with the $150 dummies would be cheaper.

brykuhn91

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder if there will be any deals on Switch games this holiday. I would like to pick up Mario +Rabbids and Xenoverse 2 at a little cheaper price.

snapcracken

Oct 25, 2017
I normally don't do these but this time I grabbed Spider-Man, Death Stranding and Yakuza 0. Was thinking about doing Yakuza 0 + Kiwami + 6 but Kiwami was only $30. While individually $40 isn't really that great of a deal on a six month old game, Yakuza rarely ever drops below $50 so I think it's not that bad of a deal once everything's all said and done. Plus I get those two other games discounted on release.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still having issues with the tax. I've made two separate orders for South Park Gold. One had two other $60 games, the others had two $150 games. The ones with the $150 games came out more than the $60 games by $3. My understanding is the one with the $150 dummies would be cheaper.

Because the deal is get the cheapest game free, for SP gold you will want 3 $100 games. So if say if you want it for PS4, add 2 xbox copies as dummies. That should get it to work and reduce the tax correctly when you cancel the 2 dummies.

For your 2nd order, did you mean you had 2 $150 dummies plus SP gold at $100? If so, then yeah, the tax should have been reduced to SP gold only after you cancelled the dummies.

MikeE21286

Oct 27, 2017
Feels kinda weird but I’ll be passig in the B2G1 this year. Even with the pre-orders. The I seemingly never pay $40 a game any more with GCU and My Best Buy Certificates.

Especially given my backlog....

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Gonna nab the remaining Kirby amiibo I don't have.

I could get the Mario Odyssey series for $26, which is about $5 cheaper than what I paid at Best Buy with GCU. I wondering if it's worth returning them to BB and rebuying them at Target over a matter of $5.

Gonna have to think it over.

Fake Edit: Crunched the numbers on both retailers and it's even worse, yikes.

Mario Odyssey trio at Target:
$38.97 (Retail)
-$12.99 (Free Amiibo)
-$1.29 (Red Card Discount)
+2.53 Tax
$27.93 Total

Mario Odyssey trio at Best Buy
$38.97 (Retail)
-$7.79 (GCU Discount)
+3.04 Tax
$34.21 Total

That's a $6.28 difference. Dammit.

Now I'll get 109 points back from Best Buy, which is worth roughly $2.18 in store credit, so let's say actually a $4.01 difference. Still, that's not insignificant.

Last edited:

fatty

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought any games this year so looking to get some 3ds titles. Looking at some of these but have no idea how good they are:

Metroid Samus Returns
DW VII
DW VIII
Fire Emblem Echoes, Birthright or Conquest
Hey Pikmin
Kirby Battle Royal
Or any Mario & Luigi games

Any must haves?

Aurelio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thinking about venturing out and picking up AssCreed, South Park and something else. The Evil Within 2? Haven't played Horizon yet but I think it'll definitely be on sale for Black Friday.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
Because the deal is get the cheapest game free, for SP gold you will want 3 $100 games. So if say if you want it for PS4, add 2 xbox copies as dummies. That should get it to work and reduce the tax correctly when you cancel the 2 dummies.

For your 2nd order, did you mean you had 2 $150 dummies plus SP gold at $100? If so, then yeah, the tax should have been reduced to SP gold only after you cancelled the dummies.
Thanks for the clarification.

Just tested it was Yakuza 6 LE and got it for $64.17. Very slick deal.

Camp1nCarl

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, is the Target website having issues for anyone else? It continuously loads in any video game section.

Does this work on controllers too?

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
Got Wolf 2 and South Park and spent a little bit pondering the third game. Nothing really jumped out at me too much but decided to grab Assassin's Creed Origins. Haven't played a game in this series in like 7 years and worst case scenario it has like a $30-35 trade value.

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, I just read about the tax problem and now Ni No Kuni's CE is sold out so I can't fix it. Bleh.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Looked through the 3DS titles, and there's an even six I want, so I could make two cart purchases and get the deal twice:

Mario Party: Star Rush
Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam
Ever Oasis
Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS
Miitopia
Hey! Pikmin

Each title is $40, so assuming B2G1F means $13.33 off each title, we're looking at $26.66 each. That's less than the $31.99 each title would be with GCU.

Any thoughts on waiting for Black Friday? I know discounts on Nintendo software can be spotty at best, and typically occurs within Amazon's hard-to-get Lightning Deals, so I'm gonna have to think this over.

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for the tip on the preorders, guys. Wasn't even aware that you could apply this to titles like Spider Man and any and all upcoming titles that haven't been released yet. This beats GCU then and saves me approximately $9 per title over GCU, which is significant.

Question - if I change my mind on any of these preorders once I receive them, I can return them at the physical store, right? I don't need to mail it back?

Darknight

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the tip on the preorders, guys. Wasn't even aware that you could apply this to titles like Spider Man and any and all upcoming titles that haven't been released yet. This beats GCU then and saves me approximately $9 per title over GCU, which is significant.

Question - if I change my mind on any of these preorders once I receive them, I can return them at the physical store, right? I don't need to mail it back?
Correct!

twisted

Oct 25, 2017
Feels kinda weird but I’ll be passig in the B2G1 this year. Even with the pre-orders. The I seemingly never pay $40 a game any more with GCU and My Best Buy Certificates.

Especially given my backlog....
Agreed - I tend to get a few games and now older me just wants to wait till Best Buy’s Early Black Friday deals to splurge

Terraforce

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't bought any games this year so looking to get some 3ds titles. Looking at some of these but have no idea how good they are:

Metroid Samus Returns
DW VII
DW VIII
Fire Emblem Echoes, Birthright or Conquest
Hey Pikmin
Kirby Battle Royal
Or any Mario & Luigi games

Any must haves?
Uh, for DQ8 I think you're much better off taking advantage of it being $25 at Amazon currently.

Hawk269

Oct 26, 2017
Getting ready for the Xbox One X so I went with Project Cars 2, Wolfenstein 2 & Elex. Might go back and get some of the discounted games like Mafia 3, Darksiders Remastered and something else.

Terraforce

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Glad there's no limit on this deal . Already got one trio (Superstar Saga, MH Stories, and Yokai Watch 2 PS) and I'm going in for a second to get Pokemon Ultra Moon for free.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
lego dimensions are getting a double promo, when you add 3 of the same price. finally finished up my collection so my wallet can rest.

Phil32

Oct 28, 2017
Aw, shucks. I have three similarly priced 3DS games I've been wanting, but no money to get them. Oh well! It shouldn't be too much more money to get them via Best Buy GCU later on, if math serves me well (which it usually doesn't!).

Vanick

Oct 27, 2017
I went ahead and grabbed Wolfenstein 2, The Evil Within 2 , and decided to take a chance on Elex. I know I'll probably be able to get them cheaper on Black Friday but I'm impatient.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty WW2 is sold out? I can't pre-order. I assume pre-orders work with the deal? That sucks...

Am I SOL? lol

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Wolf 2 , Ass Creed, and Evil Within 2. Was planning on buying the other 2 anyway, and I wasn't going to buy EW2. So, minus the prime discount, I pretty much bought EW2 for 20$, which is what I wanted to spend anyway.

Nausetsunrise

Oct 28, 2017
Just got back from Target. Got Wolfenstein, Assassin's Creed and Settlers of Catan board game. Wouldn't have even known about this if it weren't for the OP. Thanks!

take_marsh

Oct 27, 2017
3 copies of Destiny 2. Not bad at aboot $36 each. Me and both my bros can dive in one of these days.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
When do pre-orders usually return for games on target.com?

Trying to pre-order CoD. Not sure how Target works with this stuff.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, just got email from Target, saying my Call Of Duty has been shipped. I wasn't expecting to get this on release day but maybe I will after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.