• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Since Sony bungled PSASBR, who else could take on Smash now?

Border

Oct 25, 2017
Disney could very easily take on Smash, if partnered with the right developer. Imagine a four-way rumble between Darth Vader, Iron Man, Homer Simpson, and Darkwing Duck.

Warner Brothers could also do a pretty big crossover. The could even set the whole thing inside the Ready Player One universe and feature characters from Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, The Matrix, Looney Tunes, the entire DC universe, and Mortal Kombat.

WarRock

Oct 25, 2017
People know brawlhalla because for being the free "poor mans" version of smash, the OP is talking about prestige, brawlhalla has numerous collaborations but rarely I see people being hype about them.
It's the most successful Smash clone made to this day bar none and keeps bringing in the public - one of the most played games on Steam - has a competitive circuit with 100k in prizes and collaborations with decently big brands. It didn't fail like every other Smash clone not named Rivals of Aether did, even the ones made by big companies or backed by big IPs, which is what OP is asking. Your perceived value of it doesn't matter.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Microsoft.

Y'all may scoff but hear me out. They are sitting on a wealth of IPs. Battletoads. Ori. Banjo. Conker. The entire Killer Instinct roster. It would probably be easy to license Cuphead. Maybe even Nintendo would be willing to license a character like Kirby. Third party characters should be no problem, especially from indies as MS is seen to be more friendly to indie studios than Sony these days.

A Smash clone for Microsoft on Game Pass would be an excellent way to introduce players to Microsoft's other IPs. Now that MS is delivering dump trucks full of cash to game studios and seeking to diversify its library this would be a perfect time to introduce a Smah clone.

To a small extent KI served as their Smash but I would rather see KI stand on its own.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
It's the most successful Smash clone made to this day bar none and keeps bringing in the public - one of the most played games on Steam - has a competitive circuit with 100k in prizes and collaborations with decently big brands. It didn't fail like every other Smash clone not named Rivals of Aether did, even the ones made by big companies or backed by big IPs, which is what OP is asking. Your perceived value of it doesn't matter.
The fact that you call Brawlhalla a smash clone tells the whole story, we are talking about a game that can compete against smash in the genre, being successful isn't enough the game needs to be big enough to make nintendo look if we slack a bit "x" game will eat our audience, I dont think Brawlhalla is there yet.

Ryuhza

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
San Diego County
I enjoyed PSABR more than any Smash up to that point. It was flawed, but the core gameplay held more appeal to me. Character fame isn't the biggest of deals. If I like someone, its for how they are in the game I'm currently playing, not how they were somewhere else, their overall renown, or whatever. But that's me; I don't really care for guest fighters in other fighting games either.

Anyway, I'd like to see a higher budgeted take on the same style. With more characters, better graphics/art, more features and gameplay options (like ring outs for those who can't abide anything else), but not entirely abandoning what they tried to do differently from Smash. Supers as kills made for more aggressive play, less kill stealing, and less accidental death. I also thought the movesets were able to be more creative and expansive without the need for dedicated smash attacks. Balancing for multiple scoring/killing styles would be difficult and would likely require tweaking the properties of moves depending on the style, but I'd still like to see it.

So yeah, same thing but with actual Sony weight behind it. The genre is big enough for some competition/variety.

If we end up with a traditional 2D fighter like SF or Capcom Vs, that's my interest gone. If it's an arena fighter with seriously boiled down combat like Powerstone, I'd need a lot of convincing.

Majunior

Jun 20, 2019
It really is interesting to see how Smash's reputation allows Nintendo to secure more third parties. At this point, no game company outside of maybe Sony has even a tiny reason to deny their character being in Smash. I'd imagine Nintendo can basically get any third party they want. This is different from other companies that don't have that reputation.

Raging Spaniard

Artist at EA Star Wars
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Capcom, obviously. They have a tremendous IP library that should be used, even their non fighting game IPs would be great fits for a Smash clone.

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom.

Powerstone could be brought back, add a time travel/dimension shifting thing and then bring in any capcom IP you see fit.

To rival Smash you don't need to be smash
Be something unique in your own right.

giapel

Oct 28, 2017
Not one company can challenge Smash.
Correct. At this stage, it will take an unholy alliance of the rest of the whole industry to take on Smash. And even then, I’m not sure it would be bigger than Smash. When it comes to characters, Nintendo is synonymous to video games.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
To be honest, I don't think anyone can. The appeal, at least for me, is having all these videogame characters under one roof. A second roof would just split the party and make both less appealing, with Nintendo having the advantage of being able to leverage their many beloved IPs and the fact that they were first to the table with this kind of game.

I think the best bet would be to pull a Project X Zone and make crossover games that aren't trying to be Smash.

UshiromiyaEva

Aug 22, 2018
I think it's impossible to catch up to the scope and scale of Smash Ultimate given how much history it's pulling from with its prior games and rosters, but I think something other companies could match is the love for their own personal history and pulling from the best parts of them.

With that, Capcom and SEGA. Capcom showed especially in UMVC3 and TVC that they were willing to bring back tons of dormant characters and combine them with what was currently the hot properties for them (plus Heroes and Heralds has virtually every heavily requested character that didnt make it in the playable cast like Gene, Batsu, CapCom, etc.)

SEGA's All-Stars stuff managed this as well, and it could be built on further, but I feel like Sonic would stifle this image slightly given that Sonic in crossovers seems to be burdened to very strict limits on what they can sample from (early All-Stars felt like you were forever committed to seeing only Heroes locales). Especially with the continued success of Yakuza, they could negotiate staples of their history that don't necessarily belong to them, from Toejam and Earl to Kenshiro.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
Djinn is right Usopp x Robin FTW
Honestly I think if Superbot got the greenlight to do a second PSABR they'd have put out a great title that would have put some serious energy into this sub genre of fighting games. I really do feel like the original game is just a few months of development away from being a absolutely great game. it just got held up by some design decisions that would have been settled with more time.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
Bamco could.
They have a huge IP reach. Not only in gaming but also anime.
They also have an experience working on Smash Bros.

Sadist

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Yeah I think the closest in that regards would be Jump Superstars; shame they never did a follow up on consoles.

In regards to gaming IP, no one.

GayAnimeDad

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
Put Ganbarion on a modern Jump Superstars.

Edit: lol, I didn’t read the thread but it looks like we’re on the same page

Mekanos

Oct 17, 2018
Honestly I think if Superbot got the greenlight to do a second PSABR they'd have put out a great title that would have put some serious energy into this sub genre of fighting games. I really do feel like the original game is just a few months of development away from being a absolutely great game. it just got held up by some design decisions that would have been settled with more time.
More development time wouldn't have saved the bad roster. A PS All-Stars that doesn't have the likes of Cloud, Snake, and Actual Dante is just going to flounder.

Tribal_Cult

Nov 1, 2017
In theory, anyone could do it honestly. For a first game, a 20 something character roster is more than enough and I can't think of any big third party developer that couldn't pull it off.
What Smash got right that most probably can't though is a series of factors that have nothing to do with the roster:
- gameplay, so simple yet satisfying and varied
- style, every character looks like it comes from the same game even if design is completely different (compare Ultimate's Ganondorf and Pikachu to Playstation All-Stars' Kratos and Sly Cooper to see what I mean)
- humor, even "serious" characters like Snake are treated equally to others like Pichu, there is not real favoritism so to speak. Again, look at how Kratos or Big Daddy behave in Playstation All-Stars which is almost cringe inducing. Not really easy to explain, it's just a feeling the game lets off.
- content, Smash has a massive roster now but that's not even the entire thing, I mean the game has a collection of modes, collectables, achievements and stuff that makes certain open world games pale in comparison

Of course all of these things have been possible because Smash is now a 20 years old franchise and became bigger and bigger, but honestly Melee already was massive for its time so I guess it's just Sakurai's talent. As many other things in life Nintendo had luck on its side and struck gold in Sakurai, but you cannot force luck so that's why Playstation All-Stars failed.
The roster per se, while not incredible, was good but the problem with that game was everything else. It was just boring, empty, and completely devoid of charme.

Morrowbie

Oct 28, 2017
Gonna elaborate on an earlier post I dropped without explaining.

LEGO could get a good roster just with WB properties. Batman vs Legolas vs Harry Potter etc. Neverealm and TT could co-develop. You could build your own stages.

Overwatch probably has the most recognisable roster of any MOBA for casuals and it would be fun to see some of the moves repurposed into a 2D platform brawler. But not sure who would develop such a game.

Marvel vs DC would have amazing hype if it happened and a platform brawler out of any genre would make the most sense for a crossover (anything else would require a serious story explanation).

None could compete directly with Smash but I think these are commercially viable and could be fun.

Oct 28, 2017
WWE. A game purely based on the royal rumble. Arcade party style fighting game where the objective is to knock people out of the ring. A roster featuring the best characters in WWE history.

Rat King

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
Smash is smash, it wouldn't work any other way. I would like to see Sony try a traditional fighting game though, perhaps with Capcom.

timrtabor123

Feb 11, 2019
I think WB is a good dark horse candidate. Being a movie studio and having a well funded game division they have plenty of IP to work with including Scorpion, Mad Max, Iron Giant, Batman,Superman, Pennywise,Maxwell from Scribblenauts,etc,

Quacktion

Oct 27, 2017
Capcom. They got the star power, the IP's, and the budget, all they really need left is a strong vision and direction from someone like Sakurai, with little to no restrictions. Get Itsuno on this shit ASAP and you'l forget there ever even was a Marvel component to vs Capcom, shit's gonna be poppin THAT hard.

Disney is also a strong contender but I dont see them ever investing heavily in a fighter, seeing as the idea was already floating around and shut down, plus possible restrictions on what can and cant and HAVE to be in the game and the resulting lack of a central Sakurai-esque voice in the project could result in a mediocre product in the end, so all in all I dont think it'l happen.

How about someone put together a Smash Bros clone (I'm talking as close as legally permissible) but using public domain characters from literature. Give everyone moderate anime makeovers to make them flamboyant enough to have playable silhouettes and movesets.

I want to play as Don Quixote and beat up Jay Gatsby and George and Lennie (combo pair) and Algernon (mouse with psychic powers) in the Thornfield Mansion with Bertha Rochester as a stage hazard.
This aint a half-bad idea, obviously roster would lean heavily on horror because these would make for the most interesting characters to play but I can see this working.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Smash becoming a "general gaming crossover" is okay but some of us just want a proper PlayStation crossover
There is also this... If random SEGA or Capcom made a smash clone, it would not be switch exclusive, which would greatly help the sales as it would be available in 4 different platforms

Put in crossplay and a good online and you only need 2~3 million on each platform... And 2 million is what SF5 already did on the PS4 when it was on early access =P

Ok maybe not on the first game but you got the idea

Wing Scarab

Nov 1, 2017
the only game company that really has multiple well beloved icons and series that could go into a smash type fighter is Acti-Bliz IMO, as you have Crash, Spyro, and maybe even COD Characters in addition to the blizzard characters.

You could make a real Roster out of Acti-Bliz characters like
Crash, Coco, Dr. Neo Cortex, Tiny Tiger
Spyro, Hunter, Ripto
Capt. Price, Some other COD dude
Varian, Sylvanus, Thrall, Valeera, Lich King
Tracer, D.Va, Lucio, Genji
Raynor, Kerrigan, Tassadar

Theres like 20 fairly different characters and im probably forgetting a bunch
Capcom and Sega easily demolishes that list. They are the only companies that can make a Smash game that can rival Nintendo's roster.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Bandai Namco could make a pretty kick ass Smash game with anime characters instead of the trash fire that's Jumpforce.

Also I think a platform fighter Riot game could have been pretty cool because you could have had 2v2, 3v3 or even 4v4 battles that would have been more similar to the MOBA genre and even some characters more specialized for team fighting and/or 1v1 matches.
The special buttons layout would have also been an easy way to directly translate the characters from the moba to a platform fighter (and you could even have a casual/party mode where you could see items from the moba dropping during matches like in Smash)

I don't necessarily think both of these could rival Smash but they could probably carve themselves a substantial audience since both have varied and beloved characters. (especially if the LoL smash clone was focused on the PC platform that doesn't have a really "BIG" AAA Smash clone yet)

Quacktion

Oct 27, 2017
Smash becoming a "general gaming crossover" is okay but some of us just want a proper PlayStation crossover
Put Crash in Ultimate and you pretty much get your wish tbh

To be perfectly fair I would love to see Sony not half-ass a next game of this kind and actually give it time, budget and attention it would need but the problem with this game, conceptually, is that A LOT of characters that people associate with Playstation are third party owned. I tried to think of a roster that would be perfect for the game like this and always came out with only 1/4 being owned by Sony. Funny enough MS IS actually in a much better position to make this sort of game since they own almost all IP's people associate with the brand and have more than enough cash to entice the few missing third parties to have characters like Ryu Hayabusa and Frank West join in.

catashtrophe

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I think if PS All Stars sequel was greenlit with a better budget, focus and different developer it could start something for Sony but as usual after 1 game it got tossed on the dead pile along with Folklore, Heavenly Sword, etc

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't think this IP is as valuable as you think it is.

They wouldn't.
I never said Conker was valuable. I have actually been opposed to a new Conker game. Just noting that he is a recognizable character that could go into a Smash clone.

As for Nintendo, I will not rule it out with this newer president. He is doing things with Nintendo IPs that previous leadership was reluctant to do.

Sponge

Oct 25, 2017
I think companies should try to do something unique. Going head to head with Smash is not a wise idea.