• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

I declare: The best Mario & Sonic at the Olympics Games game is Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games on the Nintendo 3DS

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
So, I've spent a lot of time (too much probably) playing through the various Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games games. There's a kind of stupid enjoyment that can usually be squeezed out of them, jank and all. And yeah, the early entries were pretty bad, with some pretty bad waggle controls on the Wii and especially janky mechanics in the DS versions.

But, after playing them all, while they've improved a lot in the more recent entries with the move toward universal button controls and some better polish, the one that actually sticks out to me as really underrated is London 2012 on the 3DS. I'm here to briefly spread this important gospel.

I actually go way out of my way to play multiplayer 3DS games, and so the caveat I have to give is that Mario & Sonic "diehards" often poo-poo this specific game as being too shallow, and the worst sacrilege of all, restricts what characters you can use in certain events. The story mode is also kind of boring and whatever. But this isn't important, and actually my point here is that shallow isn't inherently bad - actually, because of the simplicity, this game offers some of the most interesting and diverse control schemes and importantly, accessible, easy to understand gameplay for everyone.

So, case in point, this game has 57 events, easily the most of any Mario & Sonic game as far as I can recall:

And as sample, some of the most interesting mechanics:

Hammer Throw, a game that uses the 3DS gyroscope, but in an actual unique, novel way that isn't just janky aiming controls - as you can see, you rotate the 3DS like you're "rolling a marble on it" - and if you actually match your rotating to the character's animation instead of just waggling your 3DS as fast as you can go, it's actually really cool how it feels. Rotate, and then let go at the right time - it's intuitive and easy. Something you've never done before, and everyone has a good time giving it a try, vs. like, Tokyo 2020 that came out, and has you doing some weird imprecise guessing game with the control stick. Lame.

Another favourite of mine, that's probably been enjoyed exclusively by me with a multiplayer crowd: Rowing - Quadruple Sculls, where everyone pulls their 3DS forward and back to "row", which again, feels surprisingly intuitive, but what really is fascinating is how in multiplayer, only one player can see the rhythm you need to hit, and has to yell out "Row!" to the group and get everyone to line up. It works impressively well, and it's hilarious to see a gaming crowd be spurred into rowing at increasing pace, someone frantically barking out "ROW! ROW! ROW!". This is some real party gaming, people.

You've got Race Walking in this game - the gameplay mechanics are pretty plain but still all part of using the 3DS's strengths all out - I just find it incredibly amusing that Race Walking is something that people can play in a video game, with Mario & Sonic characters. This game is a novelty, and it's a novelty done well.

It's really all about how impressive the simplicity is. Like javelin throw is some weird thing in every other Mario & Sonic game, involving timing button presses, meters moving on their own, etc. It's kind of a pain, to be honest, to play these games with casual folk, and have to explain some weirdly complex controls and timing just to play this kind of throwaway games. The depth, sure, is nice, but in a way depth works against itself in this context. Anyone can draw a line, and you know, there's just some fun in being able to draw a line more accurately than someone else. It's Mario Party incarnate. This is the Mario & Sonic most like Mario Party, and you know, that's great. I gladly take it.

And you know, you have your button controls here, they're just used smartly. Boiling events down to their basic components. Time your shots. If you don't like one thing, there's another that might be more your speed. On your own, it's whatever, but all together, it's a nice polished package of little competitions.

Even something like Water Polo, which in some current Mario & Sonic game, would be some overly complex nightmare of a control scheme, is just "tap left/right to swim to the ball, and then swipe a direction to take a shot or defend". Easy. I just described it in one sentence. You can enjoy it with everyone. It's just cool this exists really, vs. ten other Mario & Sonic games kind of riffing on the same sort of thing.

And you know, you can play all the games in a kind of competition medley mode, unlike the newest entry in 2020. So there's that.

So, that's all the events I kind of thought to highlight, but yeah, there's like 57 of these things in the game. It's a real grab-bag, because of that simplicity and accessibility, and that's pretty rad. Just a few games might be duds to you, but you're done in a heartbeat, can chuckle at the novelty, and move onto the next one. It uses the 3DS to its potential with all kinds of controls, like a WarioWare game, and lets everyone take part, like a Mario Party. It even looks great to boot, colourful with nice UI. But you won't hear it from anyone else. It's all about if you can play as Silver the Hedgehog in the Javelin event, or if it uses 10 buttons in the control scheme to give it real mechanical depth. That's life I guess.

But yeah. Give it a try if you like novelty control schemes and play games with friends. This one is a standout. And there's always Rio 2016 on the same system if you want another decent, more "traditional", Mario & Sonic game.

Jonneh

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
UK
The Dream Events were always the highlight of the franchise and the Wii version of London is probably the best in the series in that respect. Not to undermine your points about the 3DS version, I just believe the actual Olympic events make up only a small fraction of why this series is good.

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
The Dream Events were always the highlight of the franchise and the Wii version of London is probably the best in the series in that respect. Not to undermine your points about the 3DS version, I just believe the actual Olympic events make up only a small fraction of why this series is good.
Some of them are ok, but a lot are jank incarnate and weirdly complicated with tons of power-ups. The nice thing about this game is that everything is simple, but done well, and the playing field is leveled by that simplicity instead of compensating with random power-ups.

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
Agreed, the London Party offered a great experience in addition to your comment, the surplus of dream events added to great fun with friends when I was younger and the Wii remote just felt right with the events.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
As someone who doesn't care for this series, but loves WarioWare, you've convinced me to give this one a try. Good thread, OP.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
I personally disagree on this one. There's something to be said for a more casual Mario & Sonic game that focuses on a bunch of microgames instead of more in-depth events, but the execution in this one is really bad. I want an Olympics game because I want to replicate the stuff they do at the Olympics, but here most of the events are random minigames with a loose Olympic theme.

The Marathon has you pick up a water bottle as you pass by a table, Hockey is a weird game of Pong, Singles Badminton is literally just Slowking's Judge from Pokemon Channel. Even the ones that actually feel somewhat like the sports they're based on generally only have you doing one small part of it, like only shooting hoops in Basketball or Football taking place entirely next to the goal. It's not just a couple of duds for me, I'd say the vast majority of events in this do not provide a reasonable approximation of the real thing. The gimmicky controls are what really sink it, waving my 3DS around and shouting at the screen will never be more fun than just using buttons and the stylus.

As you mentioned, the story mode is also horribly boring and the restriction on character selection is terrible, which destroys any single-player value it could have had. If you can play with a full party of players who aren't hardcore enough to bother learning the controls for more traditional minigames then I could probably recommend this, but for most people I'd still say the best Mario & Sonic games are Winter Olympics DS if you're after a solid handheld experience with events that don't suck and London 2012 Wii if you want easier local multiplayer on a console thanks to great normal events and a ton of Dream Events.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
I declare..
bankruptcy!
Lol, immediately after posting I was like "wait why did I put that", oh well.

I personally disagree on this one. There's something to be said for a more casual Mario & Sonic game that focuses on a bunch of microgames instead of more in-depth events, but the execution in this one is really bad. I want an Olympics game because I want to replicate the stuff they do at the Olympics, but here most of the events are random minigames with a loose Olympic theme.

The Marathon has you pick up a water bottle as you pass by a table, Hockey is a weird game of Pong, Singles Badminton is literally just Slowking's Judge from Pokemon Channel. Even the ones that actually feel somewhat like the sports they're based on generally only have you doing one small part of it, like only shooting hoops in Basketball or Football taking place entirely next to the goal. It's not just a couple of duds for me, I'd say the vast majority of events in this do not provide a reasonable approximation of the real thing. The gimmicky controls are what really sink it for me, waving my 3DS around and shouting at the screen will never be more fun than just using buttons and the stylus.

As you mentioned, the story mode is also horribly boring and the restriction on character selection is terrible, which destroys any single-player value it could have had. If you can play with a full party of players who aren't hardcore enough to bother learning the controls for more traditional minigames then I could probably recommend this, but for most people I'd still say the best Mario & Sonic games are Winter Olympics DS if you're after a solid handheld experience with events that don't suck and London 2012 Wii if you want easier local multiplayer on a console thanks to great normal events and a ton of Dream Events.
I can understand the complaints, but yeah, coming at it from a casual multiplayer experience I wouldn't call the games being simple just straight up "bad execution". Even if it's not a good "simulation", the Olympic event theme actually helps in way to make what are essentially real minigames into something more creative and unique, using the 3DS controls in ways no other games do and applying typical minigame mechanics to weird contexts you don't normally see them. Like, a game copying some random thing from Pokemon Channel isn't a bad thing. That game's obscure as heck and you can't play it with friends.

The controls are more precise and easy than the Wii games, so it's hard for me to be too mad about gyro controls.

Null Pointer

Senior Localization Producer for SEGA @ Atlus
Verified
Nov 20, 2017
Irvine CA
Hey this the Mario & Sonic I worked on! For this one, I specifically remember spending a lot of time working on the tutorial how-to text. The issue was that the original Japanese didn't do a good job (IMO) of explaining how to play the games when rendered into English (and as you can see, there isn't much space), so I remember making a point to play each minigame and write out the how-to text from scratch without relying on the source Japanese. The minigames went through constant control revisions up until the last minute, so it was a challenge to keep all the text accurate.

WarRock

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't care for this series, but loves WarioWare, you've convinced me to give this one a try. Good thread, OP.
I would keep playing just WarioWare. The minigames in this just aren't well designed enough to entertain for more than one try, IMO. Wish the story mode was paced a little bit better because there's some funny dialogue there but it's just a chore to get through.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
France
Nice thread. I've always wanted to give this series a try but I would be playing solo, so... instead I listen to all the wonderful soundtracks on Youtube.

Hailinel

Oct 27, 2017
My mind keeps reading the title like it's a statement from a southern belle.

Other than that, I've never played any of the Mario & Sonic Olympic games, but I've certainly been intrigued by them.

criteriondog

Oct 26, 2017
I played the original Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games. I was so hyped for it. I was a 13 and thought Mario and Sonic crossing over was a big deal. If I remember right, this was announced before Sonic was announced for Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Good memories. It's the only one I played. I'm glad the quality of them improved over time. I enjoyed the OG game, but never enough to continue playing them. I remember people freaking out that Mario and Sonic were getting a crossover and it wasn't an adventure game, but an Olympic sporting event game. Haha!

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Offtopic is really tokyo 2020 that bad?
No. It’s around the level of quality expected from the series at this point, but it’s not worse than them at all. It seems to be one of the better from the series from what I’ve seen, but it’s my first one so I’m not a great judge on that. I’m having fun with it.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I would keep playing just WarioWare. The minigames in this just aren't well designed enough to entertain for more than one try, IMO. Wish the story mode was paced a little bit better because there's some funny dialogue there but it's just a chore to get through.
I'm more curious about how the gimmicks are implemented than anything else. That makes it worth tracking down for me, especially if people are selling it for cheap.

OP
OP
Stopdoor

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Hey this the Mario & Sonic I worked on! For this one, I specifically remember spending a lot of time working on the tutorial how-to text. The issue was that the original Japanese didn't do a good job (IMO) of explaining how to play the games when rendered into English (and as you can see, there isn't much space), so I remember making a point to play each minigame and write out the how-to text from scratch without relying on the source Japanese. The minigames went through constant control revisions up until the last minute, so it was a challenge to keep all the text accurate.
That's cool, haha. I guess you're directly responsible for the "like rolling a marble" example I mentioned? Stuck out as a useful description when I explain it to people haha.

This game is cool because all the controls can be explained on a single screen, pretty much all the other Mario & Sonic games have pages of controls and mechanics to explain.

Offtopic is really tokyo 2020 that bad?
It's fine, passable, about the same as other recent ones. The online play experience is just stupidly implemented and it's just lacking some kind of mode that lets you string events together and give the multiplayer some kind of point, previous ones at least had a side mode or two like that. The retro mode is a neat gimmick at the least but it's only 1v1.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
You definitely did a great job of it, even if I didn't like how the games played it was always super clear how to play them.

This game is cool because all the controls can be explained on a single screen, pretty much all the other Mario & Sonic games have pages of controls and mechanics to explain.
This I can agree with, the more complex direction they've gone since Rio makes it more fun for solo play since there's more mechanical depth to the events, but less fun for multiplayer because every event requires you to explain a page of controls plus a page of advanced controls plus all the hidden tips that you only get after playing the event multiple times that reveal crucial mechanics.