• The GiftBot 2.0 Launch Giveaway Extravaganza has come to a close with an astounding 8073 games given away to the community by 696 members, a huge success thanks to you! The gifting now continues with more official prizes in the new Gaming Giveaways |OT|. Leftover Steam codes are also being given away to the PC Gaming Era community.

Your best/worst purchases this generation?

Natels

Oct 26, 2017
Best - Rocket League. Almost 3k hours since 2015.

Worst - Destiny. Got it for PvP but I had to grind for gear to have a chance.

Zedelima

Oct 25, 2017
Best:
BOTW, what a game! What a fucking game
Xbox game pass was the best investment too!
Worst:
Jurassic World: Evolution, what a shitshow of a game. I hate it, and with major passion.

yokochan

Jan 21, 2019
Nier automata and last guardian ( full price too) will go down as the time where i realised that

1.If you think a game looks uninteresting, dont buy it no matter the hype until atleast a lower price.
2. Dont force yourself to play a game you dont enjoy.

God of war however will remain one of my favourite experiences. Didnt watch anything of it prior, just saw some 10’s and though ‘im sure it will be fine’. Ended up an absolute 10/10.
It‘s amazing how different taste can be, it‘s exactly the opposite for me (loved The Last Gaurdian, even with all its flaws, and Nier Automata joined my GOAT list about halfway through, while God of War was a huge disappointment). I agree with your two points though, even though just recently Death Stranding contradicts the first one, in my case at least.

Anways:
Best purchase: Nier Automata/used Wii U with Breath of the Wild (tie), two of the best games I‘ve ever played.
Worst purchase: Persona 5 Take my Heart Edition + extra Artbook. Had it preordered as soon as preorders were up, most anticipated game this gen for my partner and me after how great and smart Persona 4 was with its mature and ambivalent themes, story and characters. And then P5 comes along and delivers a good ol „good us“ (teenagers) vs. „evil them“ (adults) narrative with awful pacing (no freedom to explore for hours on end), which made us quit and me sell the game and guide after about 20h.

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to choose considering there have been so many disappointing games this gen. Also, when is the starting line for this gen anyway, because a lot of people were arguing that the Wii U actually started this gen. If so, then that would be my worst purchase. Otherwise:

Best
LG C8
GTX 1080 Ti
Hollow Knight
Divinity Original Sin 2
Monster Hunter World
Dark Souls Remastered
Dark Souls 3
Sekiro
Nioh
Devil May Cry 5
PS4 Pro (I guess, even though I only have ten games on it, half of which I repurchased for PC)
God of War
Bloodborne
Pillars of Eternity 2
Cuphead

Worst
LG B6 (died after two and a half years)
Mass Effect: Andromeda
Horizon Zero Dawn
The Surge
Lords of the Fallen
The Evil Within 2

There are tons of games though that had some things they did very well, but then were awful with some of the core mechanics.

Oct 26, 2017
Best: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, for being by far the best game I've played in years, with an honorably mention to Fire Emblem: Awakening for getting me into the series

Worst: Destiny. It's not the worst game I've ever played or anything, that honor goes to Demon's Souls, but, my God, is there little to enjoy about this game. Honorable mention to Bloodborne as well for the same reason as well as the XB1X / PS4 Pro / New 3DS as they don't offer enough of an improvement to justify the upgrade

Ryugarr

Dec 6, 2018
Best -

- Nintendo Switch
- God Of War
- Mario Odyssey
- Breath Of The Wild
- RE2 Remake
- Persona 5
-
Dragon Quest XI
- Dark souls 3
- Hollow Knight
-
Smash Ultimate
- Splatoon 2
- Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers

Worst -

- Xbox One
- Death Stranding
- Mass Effect: Andromeda
- Anthem
- Destiny 2
- Final Fantasy XV
- Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Fortnite
- World Of Warcraft: Battle For Azeroth
- and the absolute biggest let down and over hyped game for me was
Red Dead Redemption 2.

Last edited:

shark97

Nov 7, 2017
i mean, i've always been really happy with my xbox one x as a product. it's just so great, to know you have the highest quality visuals in a sleek, attractive, quiet package and most power. It gives you a smug superior feeling, similar to those owning a 2080 Ti must feel vs those owning a 1060.

and yeah gamepass i guess, which cost a dollar for 3 years or whatever. honestly since i'm hooked on destiny i pretty much only play destiny so that gamepass value is limited but still.

technically anything destiny, i dont know with expansions over the years what have i spent? $200? $300? and i've got 5000 hours in it. so that's pretty cheap per hour.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I want to shout out the games that I paid the least for and got hours and hours of joy from:

Downwell
Pyre
Konami Pixel Puzzle Collection
The Wolf Among Us
Bombslinger
Don't Starve

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
Best purchase: Monster Hunter World and Iceborne.

I bought World on release, played for 50hs and loved it, I was hugely impressed by the monsters and world maps, spent a lot of hours discovering hidden areas and secrets but somehow I got a little tired of the game and dropped it.
Almost a year later they announce Iceborne and said you'll have to finish World to access it so I thought "Man, I should probably resume my playthrough on World". Around May this year I decided to start from zero and it somehow I couldn't stop playing, I changed the long sword for the charge blade and it was the best possible decision. Then Iceborne came out and I played it even more than the original, a total of 500hs. :)

Worst Purchase: Assassin's Creed Origins, probably a good game but every Assassin's game I've played (completed 1 and 2 and tried 4) bored me to tears but they look so good and should be so right my alley, but it's the same every time, they always bore me. The thing is I tried Origins twice, both times from the beginning and both times I played a total amount of 20 minutes, no game could stand a chance like that.

Mekanos

Oct 17, 2018
I won't go into worst, but best has to be Smash Ultimate. 60 dollars for the base game + 18 dollars/extra coins for Fighters Pass and I have 300 hours logged in after a solid year. For reference, I bought Smash 3DS and Wii U, and all the character/stage DLC, and that cost me probably more than double what I've spent on Ultimate... and I didn't go more than 200 hours between both versions.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Nintendo Switch is my best. It has already cemented itself as one of my favorite platforms of all time — I really enjoy most of its exclusive games and find that its hybrid form factor really fits well into my lifestyle. I’m authorized to play games at my work during off time so portable mode opens up some really great binge gaming opportunities that most other playforms just can not replicate at this level of ease.

Worst would be my first gaming laptop purchase, which was an early 2017 MSI GS65. I’m typically a big premium ultrabook user, so moving to a midrange gaming laptop turned into kind of a nightmare of losing a lot of creature comforts in just using my portable computer. Gaming performance was impressive for something so thin and light, but fan noise was more immediate and constant than even the worst consoles and there were no audio solutions that could drown it out, the screen was dim and made a lot of viewing experiences tough, the keyboard had mushy response so normal typing and gaming both felt whack, my trackpad was erratic and lacked fluid response any time I tried to use it for casual non gaming tasks, and even when not gaming the battery life lasted like 2 hours. I sold it and went with a non-gaming laptop for a year and had a much better user experience even though I couldn’t game for a while, and just a couple of weeks ago I got a mid-2019 Razer Blade 15 on sale and it has so far felt like a 500% more premium mixed-use portable computer, even though it cost significantly more (even though I got it on sale, to boot). Battery life and typing experience don’t quite measure up to my typical ultrabook experiences, but neither are awful and using it outside of gaming legit feels like using a pre-2015 MacBook, so I love it even when I’m not gaming. My old MSI absolutely sucked to me after my honeymoon phase over its gaming performance (vs its form factor) faded.

Thagirion

Dec 6, 2018
Worst was fire emblem switch by the gods I hate the teenager drama and spent too much time bonding with then

Best was God of war, I was finishing my masters had a flight for a complex job 3 days after it’s release I nearly platinum and drop dead at the flight, worth it

Apr 19, 2018
Germany
Best: The PS4, countless amazing games and my main gaming device.

Worst: The Switch, have it for 2 years and barely played it, bought three games for it (Mario+Rabbids, Mario Maker 2 and Fire Emblem) and FE is the only game i really played and finished on it. The catalogue is mostly uninteresting for me and i'm thinking about selling it.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Best - The Witcher 3 and DLC's - 2 full playthroughs - so much money and time worth.

Worst - Fallout 4 and Expansion Pass. Played it a lot and got my money's worth if you do the hours/money thing but I did not finish it as did not care for anyone or anything. Bamboozled myself thinking they would have taken New Vegas and make a good role-playing game.

KernelC

Aug 28, 2019

adam prime

Oct 28, 2017
ATX
Slay the Spire.

I have like 200+ hours in that game. And I still want more. It's the first rougelike and Indie to fully GET ME IN. Such a nice surprise. Also, Into the Breach. Great pickup for a game I knew nothing about.

Worst?
I returned Marvel UA3 after a day. I burned my Nintendo digital refund on it.

... Otherwise I've wasted money on Indie stuff that I ended up not caring for. But that's alright, support the Indie devs and all that.

Transistor

Void() Crash() Purge()
Oct 25, 2017
Cloudbank
Best: Transistor

I missed Bastion but grabbed Transistor because of its gameplay style. Instantly fell in love. Platinumed it in a day. Went back and played all of Supergiant's games. They haven't had a bad one yet. Bastion? Amazing. Transistor? Sublime. Pyre? Wonderful. Hades? Astounding.

Worst: Xbox One S

For the longest time, it was simply a Sunset Overdrive / Lost Odyssey machine. Now that all of Microsoft's games are coming to PC, it was really just a wasted purchase.

Yeah, beginning of this gen.
How was it? :D
Imagine Dark Souls, but shit.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Best: The Witcher 3.

Worst: Bayonetta 2 on Switch. I've recently been getting into character action games for the past few years, but both Bayonetta games were a huge disappointment at the $80 I paid for this.

EloKa

GSP
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Best
Nintendo Switch
Steam Link
Parkitect
Ring Fit Adventure
Rocket League
Nintendo Pocket Football Club for the 2ds (I need that on the Switch)
Dota 2

Worst
Sim City
Watch_Dogs
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 5
Breath of the Wild
Artifact
Metro Exodus
Dota 2

OP
OP
Detective

Detective

Oct 27, 2017
Best: Transistor

I missed Bastion but grabbed Transistor because of its gameplay style. Instantly fell in love. Platinumed it in a day. Went back and played all of Supergiant's games. They haven't had a bad one yet. Bastion? Amazing. Transistor? Sublime. Pyre? Wonderful. Hades? Astounding.

Worst: Xbox One S

For the longest time, it was simply a Sunset Overdrive / Lost Odyssey machine. Now that all of Microsoft's games are coming to PC, it was really just a wasted purchase.
I loved Bastion so maybe am gonna give transistor a try.

robot

Oct 27, 2017
Best: Bloodborne, I've played that dang game over half a dozen times by now.

Worst: Overwatch. It's not a bad game at all but I don't play multiplayer shooters. I thought I'd try to get into one finally with Overwatch but I dropped it after a few weeks and returned to my single-player-only ways.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, just noticed the s at the end of purchases, lol. Will edit my post soon... That helps because I have a handful of best.

Best: PS4 or God or War. Death Stranding is in the running.

PS4: Haven't been let down by exclusives, pleasantly surprised about quality of life features, and them actually working.

And I still haven't tried VR!!!

Worst might be the Wii U. Granted I didn't really get games for it, only Epic Mickey and Lego City Undercover. I had more good times with my Vita than the Wii U.

Hell, the Vita might get honorable mention as best purchase.
Ok, to add to this:

Best: Recore, One S, State of Decay 1 and 2, Ori and the Blind Forest.

Recore, an underrated game. I got it when they did the definitive edition so I missed out I the launch complaints.

State of Decay another underrated game. The jank is part of its charm. I love this series now.

EAAccess. Came in handy when I got my One S.

Borderlands 3, what can I say. I love the series and 3 improved on the series, especially with qol things.

I can add the Vita and Death Stranding now, lol.

Xbox One... Resolution Gate, power vs the PS4 was wildly overblown IMO. I have both, and unless I'm specifically looking for the differences, it's not as bad as some try to make it. MS did some good things with it after the messaging debacle. A few things I hope Sony copies.

rude

Oct 25, 2017
I completely forgot that I bought Dragon Quest 11 PS4. Yeah. That was the worst purchase of this gen. Fuck Square Enix for that.

Ænima

Oct 27, 2017
Best:
PS4
Withcer 3 expansions (So much quality and value for just a few moneys)

Worst:
Valkyria: Azure Revolution
Lords of the Fallen

Both super cheap and still felt a waste of money.

Oct 28, 2017
Best: Xbox One S with GamePass + NHL 20, Madden 20, and Red Dead Redemption 2 😊

Worst: Nintendo Switch

Nintendo Switch quickly became a Cave Story + machine for me, after both BotW and Arms failed to grab me. Then I started experieincing syncing issues with my joy con. Cheap garbage. Traded the system in before Mario Odyssey dropped and never looked back. I hate the bare-bones UI and the novelty of playing a game while pooping does little for me.

Personally I love the idea of paying a low monthly fee for Game Pass, and having access to Xbox's library. Loved having access to NHL and RDR2 when neither were available on PC.

RCU005

Dec 8, 2017
Best:
God of War
Nier: Automata
BoTW
Super Mario Oddysey (although I liked 3D world and Galaxy more)

Worst:
Devil May Cry 5 (Hated the game, the combat, the story, didn't finish it and it's the only game this generation that I don't) This game is just not for me I guess (even though I liked DMC4 a lot at the time). Graphics are amazing, though!

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Best purchase? The Last Guardian at like $15. Game of the generation and Team ICO's/GenDesign's best game, loved the gameplay, loved trico's AI, loved the journey, loved the art and 10/10 animations. Incredible stuff.

Worst purchase? The Witcher 3. Caught up in the hype near release and it turned out to be one of the worst AAA games I've ever played. Controlled terribly, awful combat and some of the worst, most repetitive quest design I've ever played, everything was talk, witcher vision, fight, rinse and repeat. I don't even want to play another game with Batman/Witcher vision again after that. TW3 turned me off on the mechanic completely. I don't have anything to say about the story besides Geralt being an incredibly boring MC.

Another worst purchase was Overwatch, another one where I was caught up in the release hype. Was a barebones product that I felt dumb paying full price for and the most satisfying MP experience I've ever played. blegh

Aaron D.

Oct 25, 2017
Best: Crusader Kings 2

Easy pick as I purchased the game in 2013 and have been enjoying meaningful content updates every year since then.

It’s essentially GaaS done right, taking a great foundation and making it bigger, better & more badass than I imagine the devs even thought possible back in the beginning.

Those years upon years of new content development, iteration and balance adjustments truly paid off, giving us what is arguably the best strategy game ever made.