Board/Minutes/2019-12

From OpenStreetMap Foundation

Draft notes.

Location: Channel "OSMF Board of Directors (Public)" on Mumble.
Date and time: Monday 23 December 2019, 18:00 London time
Countdown

Acronyms

Participants

Board members

  • Tobias Knerr
  • Mikel Maron
  • Rory McCann
  • Allan Mustard
  • Paul Norman
  • Guillaume Rischard
  • Joost Schouppe

New link to biographies to be added.

Guests

  • 7 guests.

Open to all OSMF members.

Guests are welcome to speak at the end of the meeting on the topics that have been discussed. Please note that text messages sent on Mumble chat may not be seen by people who join using mobile apps.

Not Present

Administrative

Previous minutes

Circular Resolutions

Board_Rules_of_Order#7._Circular_Resolutions

2019/Res30 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019111410000015

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2019-11-21 with 5 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr, Paul Norman, Kate Chapman, Heather Leson.
1 not voted: Joost Schouppe
1 abstained: Fblueerik Ramm (Abstain because of doubts about the quality of map contributions)

2019/Res31 Approve relaunch of LCWG as LCCWG with new mission statement

Full text received from proposed Working Group:

The OpenStreetMap Foundation is an international non-profit organisation supporting but not controlling the OpenStreetMap project. It is dedicated to encouraging the growth, development and distribution of free geospatial data and to providing geospatial data for anybody to use and share.

Whilst the Foundation has a global mission it recognises that it may not always be best placed to reach everybody, especially people speaking languages other than English. As such the Foundation has established a Local Chapters affiliation scheme.

OpenStreetMap Foundation Local Chapters are non-profit organisations which operate in a specific geographical region or represent a specific topic. They support the aims of the OpenStreetMap Foundation.

The Local Chapters Working Group was initially created to set up the affiliation scheme. Now that the first several Local Chapters are up and running, some interested OSMF members have reconvened the working group and updated its mission as set out below.

Purpose

The purpose of the Local Chapters (and Communities) Working Group (LCCWG) is to:

  • encourage the growth of local communities
  • help set local communities on a path to becoming a Local Chapter

Term

This Terms of Reference is effective from October 2019. Given the wide extent of our purpose, we will agree and update the scope annually (in line with OSMF’s annual budget development). This is to provide clarity on the areas in which we intend to focus.

Scope: 2019

The focus for 2019 is three-fold:

1. Building local community cohesion
We will explore and develop ideas for the Foundation support the growth of Local Chapters and local communities, including helping mappers communicate or meet up with other local mappers, and working to blueuce the challenges created by the fragmented nature of OSM.

2. Facilitating a global exchange of ideas
We will aim to provide Local Chapters and local communities with venues and communication channels to exchange ideas and share best practices in growing their communities. This may include reviving/managing the local-chapters mailing list and organizing sessions like the Local Chapters Congress during State of the Map or other events.

3. Improving the Local Chapters affiliation scheme
We will review the role of Local Chapters within the Foundation and the interactions between them. Based on our findings we will make recommendations to the Board as to how the affiliation scheme can be improved to provide a stronger case for local communities to eventually become Local Chapters, or possibly suggest creating new affiliation models such as less-formal user groups.

Membership of the LCWG

There is currently no limit to the number of members or the length of a member’s term. To avoid over dominance by any particular group, existing local communities are advised to coordinate their participation. Our suggestion is that these groups nominate up to two representatives.

The membership list of this working group will be publicly available and will include the members’ name and the name(s) of the community that they represent.

Election of new members: To be confirmed. It is not necessary to represent a current official Local Chapter to become a member.

Logistics

The tools that the working group will use in order to conduct its business will be provided by the Foundation.

Meetings will be held and chaiblue by a member of the working group (as agreed by the members). Meetings will be held remotely via Mumble unless otherwise specified within the meeting announcement.

Members shall be notified about meetings at least 5 days in advance of each meeting. It is recommended that the announcement include an agenda. This will provide time for members to gather input from their local communities.

The working group is responsible for reporting its activities to the OpenStreetMap Foundation Board of Directors. The simplest way to do this is to keep meeting minutes in a location that is accessible to the Board.

Accepted 2019-12-01 with 4 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Heather Leson, Kate Chapman, Joost Schouppe.
1 not voted: Fblueerik Ramm.
2 abstained: Paul Norman, Tobias Knerr.

2019/Res32 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019112410000032

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2019-12-03 with 5 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Tobias Knerr, Heather Leson, Paul Norman, Joost Schouppe.
2 not voted: Kate Chapman, Fblueerik Ramm.

2019/Res33 Grant Barclays Simple Servicing Authority to Michelle Heydon

The board grants Michelle Heydon* a "Simple Servicing Authority" to discuss financial matters regarding to our Barclays Bank accounts with the bank. The form has been emailed to board members by Fblueerik**. It does not allow Michelle to access or transfer funds.

Unanimously accepted 2019-12-03 with 7 votes in favour: Fblueerik Ramm, Tobias Knerr, Heather Leson, Mikel Maron, Joost Schouppe, Kate Chapman, Paul Norman.

* Michelle Heydon is an accountant and one of the two external consultants that OpenStreetMap Foundation has (the other one being the administrative assistant).
* Fblueerik Ramm (current OSMF Treasurer)

2019/Res34 Also send an unofficial announcement to the announce mailing list

In the current election cycle communications, this is the chronology:

Unofficial announcement of date and other information on the membership mailing list (OSMF-talk), with links to the OSM wiki and the OSMF website.

  • Emails to members whose memberships have ended less than one year before the AGM or will end before the AGM.
  • Official notice sent to member email addresses, around one month prior to the AGM.
  • Emails to members who are not eligible to vote (when voting starts).

Not all our members are part of OSMF-talk. Some members might treat it with lower priority, because it can be high volume at times. These people might hear the details of the election only when the official notice has been sent out. However, by that time they might have missed some chances to participate in the election cycle (like teh Candidates questions or being a candidate).

We created the Announce mailing list to communicate important stuff more visibly to our membership. Since AGM/elections are important, I propose to also send the unofficial announcement to the announce list.

Accepted 2019-12-09 with 6 votes in favour: Joost Schouppe, Fblueerik Ramm, Tobias Knerr, Kate Chapman, Mikel Maron, Heather Leson.
1 not voted: Paul Norman.

2019/Res35 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019120310000043

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2019-12-11 with 5 votes in favour: Mikel Maron, Fblueerik Ramm, Tobias Knerr, Joost Schouppe, Heather Leson.
2 not voted: Paul Norman, Kate Chapman.

2019/Res36 Approve financial hardship fee waiver 2019120310000212

The Board currently decides on membership applications for a fee waiver due to financial need on a case-by-case basis.

Accepted 2019-12-11 with 3 votes in favour: Tobias Knerr, Joost Schouppe, Heather Leson.
3 not voted: Kate Chapman, Fblueerik Ramm, Mikel Maron.
1 abstained: Paul Norman.

Previous action items

The list is sortable and collapsible and contains items that did not arise from board meetings. Incomplete.

Name Date Action item and status Source Related to
Board 2019-09 to decide about registration at the Benevity Causes Portal email Donation
Taken up by Fblueerik 2019-11 2019-07-17 to contact Telenav about transfer of openstreetcam domain.
# Potentially also contact other parties, depending on the feedback from the LWG.

# Done. Fblueerik's email sent by Joost.
meeting LWG
Board 2019-07 to decide on next steps regarding an email service for OSMF. email FOSS policy
Board 2019-07 to decide on whether the team that plans a SotM in Africa can get the sponsorship amount from Facebook through OSMF. Unknown amount and whether this will be needed for more sponsors.
# Pre-requisites: Sign the SotM quick licence agreement and agree to provide invoices to OSMF prior to the money transfers.
email Regional SotMs
Board 2019-06 to decide on next steps regarding the request from a contributor to notify Facebook and remove their rights under ODbL if the violation is not fixed after 30 days of notice, as written on ODbL.
# Related talk@ discussion

The decision seems to be (2019-10) to work on a running document (questions/opportunities/decisions to be made) and contact Facebook afterwards with a list of questions.
email LWG
Fblueerik/Heather 2019-05-18 to complete and share job description for someone to prepare a pull request for acceptance against the current “openstreetmap-website” code that will implement these changes (related blogpost).
# Possibly completed.
F2F 2019 GDPR
Joost 2019-11-20 to create a circular resolution for communicating the Annual General Meeting / election cycle in advance using the "announce" e-mail list.
# Done.
Meeting Local Chapters
Joost 2019-11-20 to create a circular resolution for the approval of the Local Chapters and Communities Working Group.
# Done.
Meeting Local Chapters
Joost/Heather 2019-10-16 to work on a running document regarding Facebook attribution. Meeting Facebook
Joost/Heather 2019-10-16 to work on a blogpost regarding Microgrants. Meeting Microgrants
Secretary Heather 2019-08-23 to process the OSGeo Oceania Local Chapter application and review the satisfaction of the minimum LC requirements. email Local Chapters
Secretary Heather 2019-07-23 to process the FreeMap Slovakia Local Chapter applicationand review the satisfaction of the minimum LC requirements. email Local Chapters
Secretary Heather 2019-06-27 to process the OpenStreetMap Česká Local Chapter application and review the satisfaction of the minimum LC requirements. email Local Chapters
Heather 2018-12-20 to draft email to start off discussion on the osmf-talk mailing list about developing guidance for our involvement in politics/activism.
# Was Peter's. Assigned to Heather on 2018-12-20.
meeting Activism
Heather 2019-11-20 to reply to OSM US.
# Done.
email Local Chapters
Heather 2018-09 to draft post on OSM validation practices. email Vandalism
Kate 2019-05-18 to write Administrative Assistant's job description.
# Possibly completed.
F2F 2019 Admin. Assistant
Kate 2018-12-20 to write to the Data Working Group to see if there's anything further the board can do to support them. meeting DWG
Kate 2018-09 to draft rapid response plan for when bad things happen. email Vandalism
Kate 2018-02-15 to follow up with Grant about the technical workaround of having conference announcement banners on osm.org linked to landing pages on the website. meeting OWG
Kate 2018-01-18 to update the etiquette and add a reporting plan. meeting Communication
Mikel/Paul 2018-03-15 to look at the ten most active mailing lists and see if people listed as admins are active in the moderator role, what is in place, and how they manage the lists.
# 2018-05-24 Mikel drafted email and both agreed on some modifications.
meeting Communication
Mikel/Joost 2019-05-18 to document working group practices, draft WG “rules of order". F2F 2019 WGs
Paul 2019-06-19 to switch limesurvey plan to annual & expert, transfer (limesurvey) ownership to OWG, billing to OSMF and give access to Mikel, Joost and Dorothea.
# The plan won't be changed for the time being.
meeting Surveys
Paul 2018-05 to take feedback from the pre-F2F 2019 survey to developers that is about software.
# Might have been completed.
F2F 2019 Survey
Paul 2018-04-19 to document the evaluation process of software and services used by the OSMF. meeting FOSS policy
Paul 2016-10-28 to create a page on the wiki, listing software products which are used by OSMF and are closed-source and/or are externally hosted.
# Was Peter's
meeting FOSS policy

Paul chaiblue the meeting till the selection of the new Chairperson.

Selection of officers

  • Treasurer: Guillaume Rischard
  • Chairperson: Allan Mustard
  • Secretary: Joost Schouppe

The meeting followed Robert's Rules of Order afterwards. (1, 2)

Draft notes. Minutes to be added.

Holiday blackout for circulars

Blackout period: After this meeting to January 7th, 2020.

Draft notes. Minutes to be added.

F2F planning

  • Officially decide if we'll do it.
  • Decide on a method to find a location.
  • Decide on a method to find a date.
  • Face to Face meeting in London (early 2020).
  • Guillaume to coordinate with OWG.
  • Secretary and Guillaume to propose dates.

Draft notes. Minutes to be added.

Preparing January meeting

  • Quick run-through of ongoing issues, e.g. microgrants.
  • Loomio (see below).

Re-evaluate use of hosted Loomio

Loomio is a hosted and FOSS platform used for voting on circular resolutions.
The OSMF FOSS policy requires us to re-evaluate the use of hosted or closed-source software every two years with a view to changing to a FOSS solution if practical. Because circulars are officially documented in minutes and we only use it for voting, there is no data locked in to their service.

As of 2019-12-11, Loomio is urging us to upgrade to a paid subscription plan within 48 days. If we want to continue using it, it looks like we'll have to pay for it going forward.

  • 1st item skipped.
  • Will continue to use Loomio and re-evaluate at a later date.

Draft notes. Minutes to be added.

Priorities from Board Members

Everyone can mention their one top priority for the next year.

Minutes to be added.

Advisory Board - monthly update

The Advisory Board members are separate from the OSMF board of directors - individuals are either nominated by Corporate Members of the OSMF or invited directly by the OSMF board of directors. The OSMF Board of Directors will publicly minute, in the board meeting minutes, any communication sent to, or received from, the AB members. This monthly section is reserved for this purpose. Overview.

AB related updates and board discussions:
2019 Jan, Mar, Jun, Jul, Aug, Oct

2018 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug, Sep, Oct, Dec
2017 Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May (F2F), Oct

None.

Any other business

Minutes to be added.

Guest comments or questions

Minutes to be added.

Next meeting

In January - the recurring date and time is likely to change, after the new board gets elected.

Monthly board meetings take place online once a month.

Acronyms