12 Years a Slave, Dallas Buyers Club, The Butler, American Hustle and August: Osage County to battle it out for best movie at Screen Actors Guild awards

By Erin Maxwell

|

Steve McQueen's period piece 12 Years a Slave, Jon Wells' adaptation of the Broadway drama August: Osage County, Jean-Marc Vallee's AIDS drama Dallas Buyers Club, the White House servant tale Lee Daniel's The Butler, and 1970s con caper American Hustle top the list for the year's best ensemble for the 20th annual Screen Actors Guild Awards.

12 Years a Slave topped the list of film nominees, scoring four nods for the critically-acclaimed opus, including a nomination for best ensemble, SAG's top honor. 

The film also nabbed individual acting nominations for stars Chiwetel Ejiofor, Michael Fassbender and Lupita Nyong'o. 

Scroll down for the full list and video

And the nominees are...: Clark Gregg and SAG Awards Social Media Ambassador Sasha Alexander speak onstage at the 20th Annual Screen Actors Guild Award nominations announcement

And the nominees are...:  Clark Gregg and SAG Awards Social Media Ambassador Sasha Alexander speak onstage at the 20th Annual Screen Actors Guild Award nominations announcement

12 Years a Slave scored four nominations at the SAG Awards, including nods for Michael Fassbender and Chiwetel Ejiofor

12 Years a Slave scored four nominations at the SAG Awards, including nods for Michael Fassbender and Chiwetel Ejiofor

'I couldn't be more thrilled and grateful to the Screen Actors Guild for this nomination. To be recognized for a project that I feel so passionately about means a huge amount to me. For this recognition to be from my peers, makes it even more poignant,' Ejiofor told E!.

Totally tallies include August: Osage County, Dallas Buyers Club and Lee Daniels' The Butler, each with three noms. American Hustle, Captain Phillips, Nebraska and Rush were honored with two nominations each.

August: Osage County had individual nominations for Meryl Streep and Julia Roberts. Dallas Buyers Club also had nominations for Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto. Lee Daniels' The Butler's three scored three nominations for Oprah Winfrey, Forest Whitaker and best ensemble.

Setting sail: Both Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi were nominated for Captain Phillips

Setting sail: Both Tom Hanks and Barkhad Abdi were nominated for Captain Phillips

On the TV side, Breaking Bad racked up nominations for Bryan Cranston, who was honored with a nod for best actor in a drama, as well as Anna Gunn for best actress in a drama, best stunt ensemble for a comedy or drama and best ensemble in a drama series.

For television, Boardwalk Empire, Downton Abbey, Game of Thrones and Homeland vie with Breaking Bad for best ensemble in a drama series.

Nominees for best ensemble for a comedy show include 30 Rock, Arrested Development, The Big Bang Theory, Modern Family and Veep.

Also in the race: Matthew McConaughey scored a nomination for best actor for the Dallas Buyers Club

Also in the race: Matthew McConaughey scored a nomination for best actor for the Dallas Buyers Club

In the acting categories, Bruce Dern for Nebraska, Tom Hanks for Captain Phillips, Matthew McConaughy for the Dallas Buyers Club and Forest Whitaker for Lee Daniels' The Butler will compete with Ejiofor's turn as Solomon Northup in 12 Years a Slave in the best actor race.

'So solid and gratifying to have this recognition from my fellow actors. Cheers to what we get to do: depict humanity and ride this wild bull called acting. With thanks and respect, I'm honored with this nomination,' McConaughy told E!.

Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine, Sandra Bullock in Gravity, Judi Dench in Philomena, Meryl Streep in August: Osage County and Emma Thompson in Saving Mr. Banks will duke it out for the trophy in the best actress category.

'Had I known being locked in a light box and dangling from a ceiling for hours on end would land me in the company of these extraordinary women, I would have done it years ago,' joked Bullock.

Fitting tribute to a great series: Breaking Bad topped the nominations for television at the SAG Awards with four nods

Fitting tribute to a great series: Breaking Bad topped the nominations for television at the SAG Awards with four nods

In the supporting actor race, nominees Barkhad Abd for Captain Phillips, Daniel Bruhl for Rush, the late James Gandolfini for Enough Said and will compete against Fassbender and Leto for top honors.

Reactions from other nominees also followed throughout the day.

Jim Parsons, who was nominated for The Big Bang Theory said: 'Thank you to the Screen Actors Guild for the most wonderful wake-up call this morning!'

'It’s an enormous honor to be recognized by your fellow actors. It is especially meaningful to be nominated alongside the rest of the Big Bang cast, an incredible group of people to work with every day for the last seven years.'

Jim's co-star Mayim Bialik added: 'I am so happy for Jim and for our show, but it’s extra special amazing insane to be a nominee along with Jim and our show. It’s very special. And it’s insane!'

Scandal star Kerry Washington revealed: 'I am truly grateful and proud to be a member of SAG/AFTRA and to be acknowledged by my peers in this way is an enormous honor.'

Tom Hanks said 'I'm delighted and congratulations to my fellow nominees,' for his movie Captain Phillips.

A cut above: Jennifer Lawrence earned another nomination from the Screen Actors Guild for her work in American Hustle

A cut above: Jennifer Lawrence earned another nomination from the Screen Actors Guild for her work in American Hustle

For her nomination in August: Osage County, Meryl said: 'I am so grateful for this honor, grateful for everything this profession has given me, and thankful for the generosity of the actors with whom I worked this year on August Osage County. It was a privilege to be a part of this splendid group.'

Fellow acting legend Judi Dench revealed on her nomination for Philomena: 'I'm very proud to be nominated and with such remarkable fellow actors.'

Forest Whitaker star of Lee Daniels' critically-acclaimed The Butler said: 'It is a huge honor to be nominated by my peers at SAG. This role resonated deeply with me and it was a privilege to bring it to life on the screen.'

Adding: 'I am thrilled for our entire cast of Lee Daniels' The Butler and also for the recognition of Oprah's powerful performance. Congratulations to all of the nominees!'

Emma Thompson said: 'It's a special thrill to be nominated by other actors and this movie was a pure joy to make,' of her nomination for Saving Mr. Banks.

Feeling humbled: 'This is such an exciting morning for me and my remarkable cast mates,' said nominee Julia Roberts

Feeling humbled: 'This is such an exciting morning for me and my remarkable cast mates,' said nominee Julia Roberts

Jennifer Lawrence in American Hustle, Julia Roberts in August: Osage Country, Jube Squibb in Nebraska and Oprah Winfrey in Lee Daniels' The Butler will join Nyong'o in the race for best supporting actress. 

'This is such an exciting morning for me and my remarkable cast mates. For all of us to be recognized by our peers in the Screen Actors Guild is a lovely honor' Roberts admitted.

'Wow. Such great news. Congratulations to the other nominees and to my fellow cast members for the film's ensemble nomination,' Lawrence shared when she found out about her nomination.

Ladies of honor: Julianne Nicholson, Meryl Streep and Margo Martindale star in August: Osage County, which earning three nods from SAG

Ladies of honor: Julianne Nicholson, Meryl Streep and Margo Martindale star in August: Osage County, which earning three nods from SAG

Remembered: The late James Gandolfini , pictured here with co-star Julia Louis-Dreyfus, was nominated for his turn in Enough Said

Remembered: The late James Gandolfini , pictured here with co-star Julia Louis-Dreyfus, was nominated for his turn in Enough Said

THE SCREEN ACTOR'S GUILD AWARDS 2014 - FULL LIST OF NOMINATIONS

FILM -

Male Actor, Lead

Bruce Dern, Nebraska
Chiwetel Ejiofor, 12 Years a Slave

Chiwetel Ejiofor

Tom Hanks, Captain Phillips
Matthew McConaughey, Dallas Buyers Club
Forest Whitaker, Lee Daniels' The Butler

Male Actor, Supporting

Daniel Bruhl

Barkhad Abdi, Captain Phillips
Daniel Bruhl, Rush
Michael Fassbender, 12 Years a Slave
James Gandolfini, Enough Said
Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club

Female Actor, Lead

Cate Blanchett, Blue Jasmine

Cate Blanchett

Sandra Bullock, Gravity
Judi Dench, Philomena
Meryl Streep, August: Osage County
Emma Thompson, Saving Mr. Banks

Female Actor, Supporting

jennifer lawrence

Jennifer Lawrence, American Hustle
Lupita Nyong'o, 12 Years a Slave
Julia Roberts, August: Osage County
June Squibb, Nebraska
Oprah Winfrey, Lee Daniels' The Butler

Cast in a Motion Picture

12 Years a Slave
American Hustle
August: Osage County
Dallas Buyers Club
Lee Daniels' The Butler

the butler

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Motion Picture

All Is Lost
Fast & Furious 6

Fast & Furious 6

Lone Survivor
Rush
The Wolverine

TELEVISION -

Male Actor, TV Movie or Miniseries

Matt Damon, Behind the Candelabra

matt damon

Michael Douglas, Behind the Candelabra
Jeremy Irons, The Hollow Crown
Rob Lowe, Killing Kennedy
Al Pacino, Phil Spector

Female Actor, TV Movie or Miniseries

Helena Bonham Carter

Angela Bassett, Betty & Coretta
Helena Bonham Carter, Burton and Taylor
Holly Hunter, Top of the Lake
Helen Mirren, Phil Spector
Elisabeth Moss, Top of the Lake

Male Actor, Drama Series

Steve Buscemi, Boardwalk Empire

Steve Buscemi

Bryan Cranston, Breaking Bad
Jeff Daniels, The Newsroom
Peter Dinklage, Game of Thrones
Kevin Spacey, House of Cards

Female Actor, Drama Series

claire danes

Claire Danes, Homeland
Anna Gunn, Breaking Bad
Jessica Lange, American Horror Story: Coven
Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey
Kerry Washington, Scandal

Male Actor, Comedy Series

Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock

30 rock

Jason Bateman, Arrested Development
Ty Burrell, Modern Family
Don Cheadle, House of Lies
Jim Parsons, The Big Bang Theory

Female Actor, Comedy Series

MODERN FAMILY

Mayim Bialik, The Big Bang Theory
Julie Bowen, Modern Family
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Julia Louis-Dreyfus, Veep

Ensemble, Comedy

30 Rock
Arrested Development

ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT

The Big Bang Theory
Modern Family
Veep

Ensemble, Drama

Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad

BREAKING BAD

Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
Homeland

Outstanding Action Performance by a Stunt Ensemble in a Comedy or Drama Series

Boardwalk Empire
Breaking Bad
Game of Thrones
Homeland
The Walking Dead

THE WAlLKING DEAD

In the small screen race, the best actor in a television movie or miniseries nominees include Matt Damon and Michael Douglas in Behind the Candelabra, Jeremy Irons in The Hallow Crown, Rob Lowe in Killing Kennedy and Al Pacino in Phil Spector.

For best actress in a TV miniseries or movies, the contenders are Angela Bassett in Betty & Coretta, Helena Bonham Carter in Burton and Taylor, Holly Hunter and Elizabeth Moss in Top of the Lake, Helen Mirren in Phil Spector.

Grammy, Oscar and Emmy winner Rita Moreno will be honored this year with the lifetime achievement award.

Winners will be announced on Saturday, Jan. 18, 2014.

New titles for the media mogul Oprah Winfrey (seen here with Terrence Howard) racked up an acting nod for Lee Daniels' The Butler, just one of three noms earned by the drama

New titles for the media mogul Oprah Winfrey (seen here with Terrence Howard) racked up an acting nod for Lee Daniels' The Butler, just one of three noms earned by the drama

The comments below have been moderated in advance.

Twelve Years a Slave, The Butler, Matthew McConaughey with AIDS...hmmm. Throw in a Holocaust movie for good measure and you've got every liberal guilt trip imaginable. It's all been done to death. It's best to turn the Oscars off this year until Hollywood comes to its senses. Yawn.

Click to rate

Too many films for me to watch. Guess will wait for DVD or SkyMovies

Click to rate

Jennifer Lawrence should win the day

Click to rate

Blanchett will win but Sandra was better

Click to rate

I've stopped watching all Movie, TV, Music, Play, and Celebrity award shows over the last 12 months and my IQ and self-esteem have both gone up substantially.

Click to rate

Best Ensemble, TV drama: Breaking Bad. You can take that to the bank. I think Cate Blanchett, Jared Leto, Michael Douglas, and Bryan Cranston will all win. I think McConaughey should win for Dallas Buyers Club, but they might give it to Ejiofor. If McConaughey and Leto both win, then they'll give Best Ensemble to 12 Years A Slave... that way, they all get SAG awards. Best Actress, TV drama is a coin flip between Claire Danes and Anna Gunn, but I'd give Danes a slight advantage because Breaking Bad is a sure thing to win Best Ensemble, so Anna will get a SAG award for that category.

Click to rate

And the winner is... Jared Leto, Dallas Buyers Club. :)

Click to rate

Jennifer Lawrence for the winnnnn

Click to rate

12 years & Butler are shoe-ins...for obvious reasons.

Click to rate

cant believe andrew licoln from the walking dead hasn't been nominated again, his acting is amazing on that show

Click to rate

The views expressed in the contents above are those of our users and do not necessarily reflect the views of MailOnline.

We are no longer accepting comments on this article.

Who is this week's top commenter? Find out now