Spider-Man Action Figures

WWE Action Figures

home

Go Back   NEWSARAMA > NEWS

Old 03-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #1
MattBrady

PANINI, MARVEL EXPAND AGREEMENT, ANNOUNCE NEW PROJECTS

Press Release

Panini S.p.A. and Marvel Entertainment, Inc. announced today that they have renewed and expanded their existing publishing agreement for Marvel Comics under which Panini retains a master license for Europe and selected Latin American countries to translate and publish all comics, trade paperbacks, graphic novels, encyclopaedias and art books released by Marvel in the United States. The new agreement was announced by Marco Lupoi, Panini Group Publishing Director and Bruno Maglione, President of Marvel Entertainment International.

Notable in the new agreement is an ambitious expansion of editorial projects where Panini will originate new content under the creative supervision of Marvel. Panini will continue to develop the top-selling Spectacular Spider-Man and Marvel Rampage children’s magazines and spin these out to the rest of the licensed territories in a variety of new formats including hardcover books and digests. Additionally, Panini will originate a third magazine aimed at younger readers and will develop new short Marvel comic strip stories for syndication in newspapers and periodicals throughout the license Territory.

Finally, Panini will publish a series of selected new Marvel projects aimed primarily at the international market , including -

• An X-Men mini-series and a Young Dr Strange mini-series produced by Red Whale, artists of the top selling Disney W.I.T.C.H. title and acclaimed creators of the Monster Allergy comics

• A Women of The X-Men graphic novel written by X-Men icon Chris Claremont and illustrated by top-selling European artist Milo Manara

• A Wolverine graphic novel written by Jean-David Morvan with art by Philippe Buchet, two of the main stars of the French comic book industry and authors of the best selling series Sillage.

• A Daredevil/Captain America graphic novel written by Tito Faraci and drawn by Claudio Villa, top artist of Italy’s iconic and top-selling comic book title - Tex.

• A complete collection of Stan Lee and John Romita’s Spider-Man daily strips and Sunday pages, originally published in 1977-1980 and never before re-printed in their totality in book format.

Marco M. Lupoi, Panini Group Publishing Director, commented “This long term agreement greatly strengthens our alliance with Marvel and indeed takes it to an entire new level. These ground breaking publishing initiatives are quite unique in the comic book publishing sector and an ideal example of the creative synergies that can be produced between an incredible portfolio of iconic characters such as Marvel’s, and the know-how of a leading publisher of comics and magazines with a distinct European sensibility, like us.”

Bruno Maglione, President of Marvel Entertainment International added that “Panini have been a very successful publisher for us over recent years and are an instrumental partner in our strategy to develop and promote the Marvel brand internationally. We are especially excited about all the local origination projects which are consistent with Marvel’s new global outlook and openness to work with top creative talent from all over the world to develop Marvel content that is compelling and relevant for all of our audiences.”

Old 03-29-2006, 10:09 AM   #2
Michael Heide

Re: PANINI, MARVEL EXPAND AGREEMENT, ANNOUNCE NEW PROJECTS

Quote:
Originally posted by MattBrady
• A Women of The X-Men graphic novel written by X-Men icon Chris Claremont and illustrated by top-selling European artist Milo Manara

Awesome.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
RichJohnston

Re: Re: PANINI, MARVEL EXPAND AGREEMENT, ANNOUNCE NEW PROJECTS

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Heide
Awesome.

I've already asked for a freebie.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
fistofkhonshu

Quote:
Press Release

I would be more interested in a Milo Manara written and drawn OGN, but there are some very talented artists in the European market. Its good news all around

Old 03-29-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
Bleh

I don't read these books unless it's Essential X-Men (things I need to read like New X-Men). I use the interent to get newer issues and arcs.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
sloria13

Gonna have to get my cousins to start sending me goodies!

Old 03-29-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
Pyromaniac975

This does sounds really good. I'm especially looking forward to Philippe Buchet working on some Marvel stuff.

But I did a google search for Milo Manara and all I can say is that I'm sure fanboys are going to be quite happy.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:18 AM   #8
johnturned51

Quote:
Originally posted by Bleh
I don't read these books unless it's Essential X-Men (things I need to read like New X-Men). I use the interent to get newer issues and arcs.

So why say anything, you wanna rub it in our faces that your a leech on the industry?

Old 03-29-2006, 10:21 AM   #9
SpyGuy

So, would this agreement also allow Marvel to publish a new DOCTOR WHO series here in the States? Panini currently publishes DOCTOR WHO MAGAZINE in the U.K., which features 8-page comic stories per month.

And hey, since Bryan Hitch did the new redesign of the TARDIS interior, I think having him do the covers -- or better yet, the interior pages -- of a new U.S. DOCTOR WHO series would be...well...fantastic!

Old 03-29-2006, 10:22 AM   #10
ErictheRed

If I was french I might know who these people were.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:24 AM   #11
User Name

So these won't be available in the US?

Old 03-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #12
Bleh

Quote:
Originally posted by johnturned51
So why say anything, you wanna rub it in our faces that your a leech on the industry?

No, I kind of automatiocally wanted to post that when I saw the company's name. Why on earth do you care anyway.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:26 AM   #13
mrhelm

Between the team of Claremont & Manara (which leaves me salivating) and the collection of the classic Spider-Man strips, these are good business decisions. Let's hope all of these get a solid American release as well.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:27 AM   #14
rroch

Great news, a Manara X-Men must be great. I just received Manaras new masterpiece Borgia Tome 2, Volume 1 has just been published by Heavy Metal in English, my highest recommendation.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:29 AM   #15
Pack

Quote:
• A complete collection of Stan Lee and John Romita’s Spider-Man daily strips and Sunday pages, originally published in 1977-1980 and never before re-printed in their totality in book format.

This all sounds like good news but when are we in America getting this book.
While they're at it, I wouldn't mind seeing a reprint of the Howard the Duck strip, at least the ones Gerber wrote - he was the writer and Gene Colan was the artist early on IIRC - and the World's Greatest Superheroes strip that featured the Justice League.
But, hey, Marvel, start with this one. The hard work of getting it into book form will already be done and instead of having to translate it, you just need to use the original dialogue.
Which calls to mind one last thing: How does that unique Stan-speak translate into other languages...?

Old 03-29-2006, 10:30 AM   #16
rroch

A few years ago Panini produced an European Spider-Man GN for the Italian and French market, I wonder why Marvel did not publish this GN as a US edition.

http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #17
lex luthor

Quote:
Originally posted by RichJohnston
I've already asked for a freebie.

Grab me one while you're at it.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:33 AM   #18
hugo

Quote:
Originally posted by ErictheRed
If I was french I might know who these people were.

To help you a little concerning Morvan and Buchet :

http://www.poukram.org/ (Sillage official site)

http://www.poukram.org/index_fe.php (official site, the wallpapers page)

http://sillage.scubay.com/menu.html (another official site)

Sorry if you can't read French, but at least, you will find some pictures... ^^

Old 03-29-2006, 10:40 AM   #19
damain

Yes, Manara is great, but Claudio Villa..His Daredevil/Cap will blow you away..He's a master.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #20
Gordon McAlpin

Re: Re: PANINI, MARVEL EXPAND AGREEMENT, ANNOUNCE NEW PROJECTS

Quote:
Originally posted by fistofkhonshu
I would be more interested in a Milo Manara written and drawn OGN...

Me, too, but I'll flip through it anyway.

ahem

Old 03-29-2006, 10:48 AM   #21
BrotherI

Quote:
Originally posted by Bleh
No, I kind of automatiocally wanted to post that when I saw the company's name. Why on earth do you care anyway.

Whats the point of this?

I just googled Milo Manara, and...sort of got what I wasn't expecting! This should all be nice, though. I'd love the Claremont thing if I hear its good.

Old 03-29-2006, 10:57 AM   #22
lobocomics

Milo MANARA...WOOOOOO... Jim Lee cites Manara as his main influence on drawing women.... and after living one year in Italy... I now know where they get their inspiration..

I just hope he goes all "kama Sutra, click," on the X-Women

Now if we can only get Seprieri to do Wonder Woman/Drunna .. that would be so cool...

And so not for children..

Old 03-29-2006, 11:01 AM   #23
Michael Heide

Quote:
Originally posted by lobocomics
Now if we can only get Seprieri to do Wonder Woman/Drunna .. that would be so cool...

And so not for children..

Serpieri was born to draw Vampirella.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:19 AM   #24
samnoir

Quote:
A Women of The X-Men graphic novel written by X-Men icon Chris Claremont and illustrated by top-selling European artist Milo Manara

Wow! That should be interesting. I look forward to seeing Manara's version of the White Queen.

Isn't Manara also on Bendis' list of artists that he wants to work with?

FRANK CHO RARE BOOK and MAGAZINE for sale on EBAY! SHANNA UNCENSORED ARTWORK! SIGNED LTD ED.

THE AVENGERS GRAPHIC NOVEL written by GRANT MORRISON for sale on EBAY! STEED AND MRS PEEL! OUT OF PRINT. RARE.

Old 03-29-2006, 11:20 AM   #25
samnoir

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Heide
Serpieri was born to draw Vampirella.

Although given the fact that this is a Marvel project, I would settle for a Serpieri rendered Black Cat or Elektra.

Vintage TV Memorabilia for sale on EBAY! MOD SQUAD. MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE! MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. MUNSTERS. THE PRISONER. THE AVENGERS. BONANZA. SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN. ADAMS FAMILY. more!!!

WWE WRESTLING DIVAS MAGAZINES, POSTERS and more for sale on EBAY! TRISH STRATUS. SABLE. MORE!