Eidos Forums
Go Back   Eidos Forums > Current Games > Tomb Raider Series > Tomb Raider (2013) General Discussion

Old 05-13-2012, 07:59 PM
CrystalD Community Manager
Eidos Official

Default Tomb Raider release date shifts to 2013

Hello everyone,

Below you’ll find a very important message from Darrell Gallagher, Head of Studio at Crystal Dynamics.

________

A Message to the Tomb Raider Community

When Crystal Dynamics first set out to reboot the Tomb Raider franchise, there were two goals that we were extremely passionate about. The first was to create a modern Tomb Raider game that would surprise and excite gamers. The second was to make this the best game of our careers, something we would be really proud to be a part of. We truly believe that we have something very special on our hands and we can’t wait to share it with you.

Our priority now is to make sure we fully deliver the very highest quality game. In order to do this, we have decided to move the game’s release date by a few months, from Fall 2012 to the first quarter of 2013.

We’re doing things that are completely new to Tomb Raider in this game and the additional development time will allow us to put the finishing touches into the game and polish it to a level that you deserve. We believe this is the right choice and I guarantee it will be worth the wait. The game is looking amazing and we can't wait to show it to everyone at E3 in a few weeks.

Darrell Gallagher
________

While disappointment in having to wait a bit longer for Tomb Raider is natural, I – and the rest of the studio – firmly believe this is the right decision. I know you’ll agree when holding an exceptional experience in your hands come launch day.

I’m sure you’ve got lots of questions about the news above. Please use this dedicated thread to voice your questions and comments. I’ll personally gather the common inquires and pose them to Darrell in the next Crystal Habit Podcast, so here’s an opportunity to make your voice heard.

To take a bit of the edge off the delay, we decided to release a new screenshot hinting at content you’ll be seeing at E3.

As always thank you for your continued support!

Meagan Marie
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The-Reach.jpg (624.1 KB, 535 views)
Old 05-13-2012, 08:19 PM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Reminder, folks: criticism is absolutely fine, and a certain level of emotion about this news is understandable, but please note that posts of a completely aggressive nature may be removed from the board, as per our Terms of Use.

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)
Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 PM
King and Tyrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraRocks2 View Post
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!! And its DEFINITELY not for the "quality" of the game, its so it doesn't have to compete with other AAA titles releasing this fall. Now this year has nothing to look forward to if GTA V isn't out :'((( can you delve into why the decision was made? The game had reached alpha state so I'm sure it would've met deadlines. What exactly are you working on changing that's gonna take more time? and also, now that the date was pushed back. Can you disclose what the original release date window was? (ie specific month/day?)
Well, that's not really a bad thing in some ways. I deplore the sparse zone of the first few months of every year. Only a few AA+ games get released in that time, and personally I'd rather have something solid like TR fill that space.

Last edited by Jerion; 05-13-2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: ...bad choice of words. Must stay away from innuendo...
Old 05-13-2012, 08:31 PM
Gamer

Honestly with as many games as I have played over the years now and the countless times I have bought a game made within a year or two only to be disappointed(doesn't happen all the time but often) I would prefer taking as much time as possible to do an amazing job. Obviously I want to still play just as bad as everyone else who feels the same way at least, but I have no hate for this decision and welcome it with open & supporting arms, keep working hard wish you all well.

Jk I'm going to go cry & drown myself in vodka, pass the time with Diablo 3, Dragon Age, Guild Wars 2, Dota 2, and oh yeah replaying more Tomb Raider.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:32 PM
Protagonist

Old 05-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerion View Post
Well, that's not really a bad thing in some ways. I deplore the sparse zone of the first few months of every year. Only a few AA+ games get released in that time, and personally I'd rather have something solid like TR fill that space.
Yeah I do see where you are coming from. I'm not mad at CD, just ready to play this game NOW! lol, When Konami delayed Silent Hill: Downpour for 6 extra months I was a little more peeved off because I had pre-ordered it in september. and ended up with it late march! lol I'm just hoping that this is the first, and last delay TR sees. Unlike Bioshock:infinite which is on it's second delay now I believe.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:34 PM
New Player

I'm so impatient to see this game in E3 the fact that is realeased in 2013 is better for the game but do you know when a demo was realesed? I hope this year.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Gamer

Yeah, a demo would realllllly help I think. Maybe we'll get a demo after E3 in a couple weeks!! That'd be so awesome! lol Tomb Raider is like crack for me.. been hooked since I was 5. so literally i'm going through withdraws from lack of Lara. haha (the old games are only replayable for so long till new material is needed..)
Old 05-13-2012, 08:40 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilianpaul View Post
I'm so impatient to see this game in E3 the fact that is realeased in 2013 is better for the game but do you know when a demo was realesed? I hope this year.
If we can't get the game this year, CD please give us more preview at E3. And now it's gotta be more than just a 5 min trailer, we need a buffet of information and live gameplay coverage to sufficiently hold us over for the extended wait.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:42 PM
Eidos Official

If you've got specific questions, make sure to direct them my way guys!
Old 05-13-2012, 08:48 PM
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeaganMarie View Post
I'll re ask my most burning question then lol, can you say now what the slated date was originally? november? October? I doubt it matters now if you tell us hehe
Old 05-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Protagonist

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeaganMarie View Post
Question 1: This is really just your belated april fools prank.

Right? right? riiiiiiiigggggghhhhhht???
Oh please oh please oh PLEASE say it is. I'll do anything to hear that this is all just for a good laugh...

and I do mean, ANYTHING, just name a hit you need on someone and it's DONE...
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Gamer

^ you, my friend...are EPIC xD lol but I second that. It's gotta be... I was just going to bed too, it's 1 am and I have work tomorrow.. Then I saw this and now sleep is not an option >__< lol
Old 05-13-2012, 08:54 PM
iMod™
Eidos Administrator

Although I admit we *do* have a long time tradition of mischievous April fools pranks on this forum none of us would ever joke about this, folks

Driber.net | Forum Thumbnailer | Driber Wagon™ | RAWR! | TR Ancient Legends III - Lost Chambers | -- .- .-. .. . / .. ... / -.-. ..- - . :-)
Old 05-13-2012, 08:57 PM

Since we all have to wait a little longer, *again* could launch a new trailer does not it? Would be great to compensate!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:01 PM
Gamer

I'm happy to hear that extra time is being taken to ensure a complete, polished game. It was the right decision. Past complaints towards the Tomb Raider brand have been that the games were rushed out too quickly. Waiting a few more months is a small price to pay for a polished game with high replay value.

If enough of the game is done, I wouldn't be opposed to some information regarding those features that are "completely new to Tomb Raider". A few months hyping up the audience wouldn't hurt.

I'd also recommend doing a lot of Facebook/Twitter stuff (if you're not already) to reach as many people as possible. For example, if your Facebook or Twitter reaches X amount of followers/likes, releasing a screenshot or tidbits of information.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:05 PM
Gamer

Re posting this: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I KNEW THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!!!!!!! And its DEFINITELY not for the "quality" of the game, its so it doesn't have to compete with other AAA titles releasing this fall. Now this year has nothing to look forward to if GTA V isn't out :'((( can you delve into why the decision was made? The game had reached alpha state so I'm sure it would've met deadlines. What exactly are you working on changing that's gonna take more time? and also, now that the date was pushed back. Can you disclose what the original release date window was? (ie specific month/day?)
Old 05-13-2012, 09:13 PM
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobeARTIST View Post
Question 1: This is really just your belated april fools prank.

Right? right? riiiiiiiigggggghhhhhht???
Oh please oh please oh PLEASE say it is. I'll do anything to hear that this is all just for a good laugh...

and I do mean, ANYTHING, just name a hit you need on someone and it's DONE...
That would be awful of us! I can confirm this isn't an april fools joke. I don't think you guys would find it very funny if it was!

Also, are you implying that our FeeFee prank wasn't good enough?
Old 05-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Gamer

^Meagan just an FYI you may want to consider changing the release date portion under "Game Info" on the official site, it still says Fall 2012
Old 05-13-2012, 09:29 PM
Deputy Mod

surely a bit disappointed but in a way it makes me happy too. it gives me time to play AC3 and save up money for CE

well, shame but as long its properly optimized (for me the PC version) and works smoothly, has no bugs, wonderful controls, etc. i can wait.
these are my requirements to companies who postpones games. so please dont disappoint.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:30 PM
Protagonist

Oh my God, haha, it's like I hinted this when I mentioned Bioshock: Infinite was delayed XD But I'm cool with this, same with Bioshock, if the devs feel they might not give us a full experience, it's nice to even have an opportunity to delay the game, especially in these times when publishers hurry their developer teams just so the game could be released already and so they could start counting money Even if they delayed it because of all the AAA titles, it's not a bad idea, we have all discussed how September and October are full of good games, and sometimes games that deserve attention are not getting any (the first Darkness game came out in 2007, same year when Bioshock, Mass Effect and Modern Warfare came out, it wasn't that popular and it was an awesome game). Take your time, CD

But know this: You have hell of a things to show at E3 and the whole summer
And I don't mean just the new gameplay We want to know who the voice-actress is, maybe some mo-cap sessions or whatnot, you know, so we stay pumped-up Seriously, now
Old 05-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Eidos Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaraRocks2 View Post
^Meagan just an FYI you may want to consider changing the release date portion under "Game Info" on the official site, it still says Fall 2012
Working on the updates now!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Deputy Mod

if they are really afraid that the new TR would not sell well because of major titles coming out, that is sort of understandable but to me, not really a reason to postpone a game.
but well, i wait until we know the official answer.

granted, i have a some games on my list like "AC3" and maybe, just maybe "black ops 2". also happens that some games come out on steam i like to give a try and might like them like "blades of times". but still would not change my mind not to buy a game i want anyway since day 1 when i know it will be worth it.
hell even if HL3 or epi 3 (or what ever they want to call it now) comes out this year, i still would buy the new TR (seriously, add a additional title to this game so i dont have to call it "the new TR").

and yes, im aware that money is a problem to buy like 3 games at once, but still, they will sure have buyers who will buy it on day 1 and maybe after a month or 2, the rest will buy the new TR. i highly doubt CD will make a huge loss if they dont sell a certain amount on day 1 or in the first month.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:00 PM
Gamer

I agree with you ^ but the sad part is, some people don't really know Lara as much as we do in the forums. So if it boiled down to it, they'd buy other extremely known games (such as Black Ops 2) over this because they already know it'll be "good" e.e I've read on other sites comments like "I'm gonna have to pick out of these games coming out cause I can't afford all of em" which doesn't make sense to me in all honesty because I'm a broke college student who can still scrape up enough to buy my anticipated games. lol.. but I do think that the fear of being overshadowed in both sales and popularity might be a driving factor of the delay. As much as it saddens me to say, until this game is covered a little bit more, and exposed.. Lara isn't as popular with modern gamers as she once was. Games that get annual releases are popular right now for some reason... it's the same formula. In any case I'm still extremely excited for Tomb Raider, and I'm hoping that this is the final delay of any kind... I want a solid release date too. lol

also, just to clarify... Q1 of 2013 are which months.. it's like everywhere I look has different months for different things.. In the gaming industry that means.. what.. January, February, and March correct?

Last edited by The Hylden; 05-14-2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:32 PM
Protagonist

^ That's correct

And Metalrocks, I think what you see in the first post is the official answer