100 replies to this topic

#61 jewelisheaven

jewelisheaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:15 AM

Wireshark logs of the connection stream comparing uT and Deluge.
A recommended setup is to max at 20 concurrent connections.
Also a full description of encryption settings.
The thing I noticed about Deluge was the ability to connect to peers which maxed my download, which didn't connect to uT, which is why I gave up on trying to provide proof.

Edit: the logs need to include enough data to get to peak download speed. I would recommend changing options to increment logfiles after 5 or 10 MiB and keep as many logfiles as you have space for. (I only needed 2 5 MiB logfiles to capture stream information to hit my max download of 4 Mbit)

Edited by jewelisheaven, 18 December 2007 - 01:17 AM.

#62 Greg Hazel

Greg Hazel

BitTorrent Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 01:22 AM

I can provide logs or a VNC connection if a developer is interested in this matter. What would be the best?

Fantastic! Logs would obviously be easier if you're comfortable capturing them. Download Wireshark if you don't have it already, and see if you can get it to capture.

Specifically, we need logs of uTorrent and Deluge with the exact same settings (and a record of what those settings were) in these configurations:

* Forced (and incoming encrypted only)
* Enabled (and incoming encrypted only)
* Enabled (and incoming encrypted optional)
* Disabled

Run each until their speed levels out, with maximum connections of 20 (or as low as you can get while still hitting max speed in the best case).

#63 kaoru

kaoru

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:36 AM

i have instaled cfosspeed and with utorrent or other clients connections are show as ''torrent'', with deluge the connection are ''unknown'' i think If the p2p client can send the connection packs as ''unknown'' the packs can bypass the traffic shapping

i really miss utorrent, and i hope download torrent with utorrent someday again...

Edited by kaoru, 18 December 2007 - 03:43 AM.

#64 Greg Hazel

Greg Hazel

BitTorrent Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:43 AM

i have instaled cfosspeed and with utorrent or other clients connections are show as ''torrent'', with deluge the connection are ''unknown'' i think If the p2p client can send the connection packs as ''unknown'' the packs can bypass the traffic shapping

Hm. I tried cFosSpeed, but it's not very realtime... It also takes some amount of time for it to classify - uTorrent shows up as "unknown" at first too, and encrypted data classified as "unknown" forever.

Is there anything better?

#65 bvinicius

bvinicius

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:01 PM

This is my logs: http://bodi.dreamhosters.com/logs.7z
utorrent always stay close to 30kBps and deluge download about 100kBps, even without encrypt on.

#66 dagla

dagla

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 26 December 2007 - 11:23 PM

Here are my logs of one torrent file downloaded with both clients with all four settings described above, sorry for the large size, the logs without throttling got pretty big while it reached maximum speed =( part 1, part 2

My ISP is also UPC, and only deluge got to full speed at all settings but on forced, other five was capped at ~100kbps.

#67 repeteor

repeteor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:50 AM

I have to say Deluge crashes with 2/5 torrents I throw at it... I don't care if it boosts my download from 2 Mbit to 4 Mbit, if I can't USE the thing. I don't see a reason to tout it as anything but a newer client whose only benefit over uT (at the moment) is cross-platform usability through multiple GUI options

Deluge works like a charm on my mac but it wont run on my pc.

Windows

" Please note that the Windows version of Deluge is quite a bit less stable than our Linux/Unix client, as Deluge is developed on Linux. Actually, it is probably safe to say that everything is less stable on Windows, not just Deluge :-p "

They do have a point
Only the suppressed word is dangerous !

#68 jewelisheaven

jewelisheaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 01:05 AM

I didn't say that it was unstable. I said that when I tried it for swarm testing (prior to realizing I'm mainly suffering from upload starvation) it wouldn't even load the torrent and would INSTEAD crash... note that it was perfectly valid according to Ultima's bencoded file editor, and was previously loaded and re-loads fine into uT :P
Thanks dagla! Hopefully that helps the developers with insight into the experienced differences.

#69 repeteor

repeteor

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 12:25 PM

Deluge is with out doubt faster on my connection.

The file: OOo_2.3.1_Win32Intel_install_en-US.exe

utorrent: Dls 138.5kbs varying a lot to max 156.3kbs

Deluge: Dls 156.3kbs varying a few kbs to max 158.5kbs

Whats going on with utorrents stream as both programs are set up the same ?

Deluge download compleated in 8mins and 45sec

utorrent download completed in 13mins and 12sec

utorrent took at least 25sec to get past the 100kbs mark
deluge took 9sec and was up at the 150kbs mark

I did this three times and every time was ruffly the same.
Only the suppressed word is dangerous !

#70 jewelisheaven

jewelisheaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 27 December 2007 - 02:31 PM

That's not a large enough variance to be useful repeteor. General internet flux can account for ... under 4% throughput. What IS experienced by some user reports is an IN-ability to beat a certain cap (maximum shaping profile) the ISP enforces with uT, but which Deluge is not affected. Unfortunately you are not crippled in this way by your ISP.

#71 Firon

Firon

Advanced Member

• Administrators
  • 28,490 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:07 AM

We already know the issue.

#72 ICleolion

ICleolion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 12:16 PM

<if by issue Firon means solution then....>

Before anyone asks, I doubt they will be telling us what it is on the forum :)
One of these days... POW RIGHT IN THE KISSER

#73 Ultima

Ultima

Advanced Member

• µTorrent Helper
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,861 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 01:39 AM

My guess is that ISPs probably know what the difference is between Deluge and µTorrent that causes the throttling to fail, but since Deluge isn't widely used, they don't care that much.

#74 futuresex

futuresex

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 08:50 AM

This used to be true. But lately, it doesn't make a difference whether I'm using utorrent or deluge. My ISP is pretty smart to catch on, I guess. =D

#75 Greg Hazel

Greg Hazel

BitTorrent Developer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:46 AM

If anyone on this thread is brave enough to try an alpha, they might enjoy 1.8 http://forum.utorren...ic.php?id=31998

#76 jewelisheaven

jewelisheaven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,415 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

If it would make a difference on RoadRunner or Comcast I would try it :/

#77 ICleolion

ICleolion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 11:39 AM

:)

Edited by ICleolion, 03 January 2008 - 11:41 AM.

#78 shearerc

shearerc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

I tested all the 1.8 alpha versions that has been released.
Glad to report that starting from Version 1.8 alpha (build 7435) my speeds are up to normal levels again.
I tested on well seeded public and private trackers and here are my download speed findings:-

Version 1.8 alpha (build 7435 and later) and Deluge 0.5.8
=====================================
130 - 150 KB/s (maxed my line)

UT 1.7.x and 1.8 alphas up to build 7398
==========================
0-10 KB/s (throttled by ISP)

In both cases my uTorrent encryption settings were Outgoing Enabled and "Allow incoming legacy connections" checked.
I also used Outgoing Forced and "incoming legacy" disabled but it didn't make any difference in both cases.

To the developers - whatever you did to make this work, thanks!!

Edited by shearerc, 03 January 2008 - 10:23 PM.

#79 amc1

amc1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:03 PM

If there's anyone out there willing to help - we (Azureus devs) worked with alus to see what Deluge was doing differently to avoid being throttled... we've made changes as well, but we don't have anyone to test with. So if there's anyone who belongs to one of the affected ISPs, and they're willing to spend a few minutes helping us test our changes, that'd be appreciated. :)

#80 ICleolion

ICleolion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 702 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 01:10 PM

Now if only the Az and uT fanboys could see this. Az and uT devs working together for the common good of both communities.

Here's hoping that the effort you guys put in lasts for a while before the ISPs catchup again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users