Yoyo Games Announcement

• Please log in to reply
618 replies to this topic

#1 Merrie

Merrie

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

Mark, I think that is fantastic news, Im sure it will aid in making GM an even better product and take some of the weight off you! Congrats!

Edited by FredFredrickson, 28 January 2007 - 05:05 AM.

#2 Windapple

Windapple

GMC Member

• 95 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:12 PM

Well, more resources for developing Game Maker are a nice thing, and this hosting is without a question a great opportunity. But this news has the undistinctive flavour of a sale of Game Maker.

#3 ad134

ad134

The Ad man

• 413 posts
  • Version:Unknown

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:14 PM

I'm personally glad it's in the UK (where i am). It seems a bit controversal, but it will probably result in a better game maker (with more people working on it, way more features will be available and new versions will come out quicker;).

#4 Mark Overmars

Mark Overmars

Game Maker Creator

• GMC Elder
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:19 PM

WindApple,

I wouldn't call it a sale. It is mainly a step toward a more professional organisation. In that way we can speed up the development of Game Maker and hugely improve the web experience. As I indicated, I will remain heavily involved in all aspects. I couldn't live without it.

Mark
Mark Overmars, YoYo Games, www.yoyogames.com

Twitter:
twitter.com/mark_overmars
Check out my book The Game Maker's Apprentice
Buy my iPhone/iPad/Android game Super Snake HD

#5 Morinfen

Morinfen

GMC Member

• 1269 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:23 PM

Hate it.

Mark i thought GM was your thing. You disappointed me. I really don't care if the development of GM is slow. I can wait. I don't trust these xbox "YoYo" people.

Mark you let me down.

~Morph

#6 Fox USA

Fox USA

GMC Member

• 326 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:24 PM

Hate it.

Mark i thought GM was your thing. You disappointed me. I really don't care if the development of GM is slow. I can wait. I don't trust these xbox "YoYo" people.

Mark you let me down.

~Morph

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I registered to help gm not yo yo games. I agree with^^^ him
And I don’t like an admin that joined today

Edited by Fox USA, 26 January 2007 - 07:30 PM.

#7 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts
  • Version:GM:Studio

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:25 PM

As I indicated, I will remain heavily involved in all aspects. I couldn't live without it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think this news is exciting, but I am particularly glad to hear that you will still remain involved, Mark. Too many times it seems, great things like GM get lost in a fury of over-production and commercialization when the original designer bows out... so it's good so hear that you'll continue your involvement during the transition and continuation of GM. :blink:

#8 crash2108

crash2108

GMC Member

• 148 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:35 PM

Congratulations, but as some people here, I think this is a step in the wrong direction. This is simply making Game Maker more commercialized and, as you said, a product of a 'company'. I think that a more beneficial change for Game Maker would be to go completely open source. It would speed up development and be the most evolved product of every contributors idea.

By the way, is this what this was supposed to mean?

Edited by crash2108, 26 January 2007 - 07:42 PM.

#9 Eyas

Eyas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:36 PM

I think of this as a fascinating news. Game Maker 7.0 has shaped up into an incredible product, and with these new resources, every minor release would have as exciting feature as a once-a-year releases we get now.

There's absolutely nothing negative about such a transition, in my point of view, as long as Game Maker isn't neglected in the new company-- which I'm sure will be the case, since Mark's going to supervise and play an important role there.

It also makes me wonder what other cool services would Yoyo Games provide, but bet they'll be cool.

Btw, Mark: on the Yoyo games site, "Game Maker" is written "GameMaker". Someone might want to fix that.

Eyas Sharaiha (eyas-sharaiha.com);
previous projects include: GMking.org, MarkUp Magazine.

#10 Jo-Jo Bob Joe

Jo-Jo Bob Joe

GMC Member

• 463 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:38 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you not like him? He has yet to post anything.

On topic now:
I don't really know if I should be happy or sad about this new "arrangement", if you can call it that. I guess I can't decide until I see what you guys do with Game Maker. I can't wait, I think...

#11 Ebonic_and_Nightwisp

Ebonic_and_Nightwisp

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 254 posts
  • Version:GM7

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

Im very glad about this news as well. with it comes more oppurtunity...

@Ean_Dream

After Effects, Game Maker, Flash! <3

#12 Fox USA

Fox USA

GMC Member

• 326 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:42 PM

so this is what that upload button in gm7 is for?
this is big news and maybe bad news I is this susposed to be like GMG and 64 digits

edit

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you not like him? He has yet to post anything.

On topic now:
I don't really know if I should be happy or sad about this new "arrangement", if you can call it that. I guess I can't decide until I see what you guys do with Game Maker. I can't wait, I think...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

he is new he does not have my trust he can get our ip get e-mail lists and more

admin is a powerful position it needs trust

edit I trust mark
I hope this is a good step for gm. I just don't think it is

Edited by Fox USA, 26 January 2007 - 07:50 PM.

#13 cdm319

cdm319

C++ Programmer

• 885 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

hmm... I don't know about this...

a company getting involved means they want to make money - i can see registration going sky high

on the bright side, it lightens mark's work load and also improves opportunity for improvement in the program

Edited by cdm319, 26 January 2007 - 07:44 PM.

Chris Matthews, Co-Leader of Digital X

#14 Morinfen

Morinfen

GMC Member

• 1269 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:46 PM

a company getting involved means they want to make money - i can see registration going sky high

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. They must smell cash. I don't trust them at all.

~Morph

#15 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:51 PM

Would you guys just get ahold of yourselves already...?

Yes, there are big changes ahead, but lets not start this off on the wrong foot. Wait and see how things turn out, and if they turn out badly, then say something. I think that even though this represents a major turning point in the development of GM, great things can come of it - and it's pointless to start grumbling about things now when we don't even know what's in store.

Just stop acting like a bunch of crybabies for once. Change is good.

#16 Eyas

Eyas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Exactly. They must smell cash. I don't trust them at all.

~Morph

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You're worrying too much, I want to remind you about something Mark said:

I am one of the directors of YoYo Games and will be supervising the further development of Game Maker there.

Nothing in GM would change unless Mark would approve of it, as he will both supervise development and be one of the company's directors, i.e. he would have influence of such decisions.

Also, that is something extremely important to realize: A company aimed at cash is more productive than a person doing something as a hobby. Come on! They're not stupid, they wont rocket registration prices!! They want cash, and the best way to get it is to have 1- attractive prices, 2- attractive products. This means that Game Maker would most likely take a step forwards, not backwards!

#17 cdm319

cdm319

C++ Programmer

• 885 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

i'm not grumbling, I already said in my first post that there was a good side to it - I'm just worried that these people will be more interested in the money aspect than the community.

mark made sure that he pleased us, and he made a point of showing that the money wasn't what he cared about

Edited by cdm319, 26 January 2007 - 07:55 PM.

#18 Chronic

Chronic

Administrator

• Global Moderators
  • 2729 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

Alot of people are missing the fact that Mark is one of the YoYo Games directors, so i really don't think you people need to worry. I'm pretty sure that with Marks experience he knows exactly what he is doing.

My recent tutorials: [Auto-Tiling] [Text Based Menu] [Sprite Based Menu] [View more at my site]
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
R.I.P Mom (1951-2008)

#19 Daniel-Dane

Daniel-Dane

GMC Member

• 3581 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:58 PM

Mark is so excited that he had to mention their name/website SEVEN times.
Well, I am glad that the development will be faster and I have already registered, so I don't care about the price :(.

EDIT:
Wasn't Mark supposed to post the topic? :blink:.

Edited by Daniel-Dane, 26 January 2007 - 07:59 PM.

#20 warriorccc0

warriorccc0

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 740 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:59 PM

it seems good to me that is if they dont make it sell only..
because then the development of gm would boost

#21 Jo-Jo Bob Joe

Jo-Jo Bob Joe

GMC Member

• 463 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:00 PM

Yes, there are big changes ahead, but lets not start this off on the wrong foot.  Wait and see how things turn out, and if they turn out badly, then say something.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I was just about to say that, I should of never left to get a snack :blink: Really, nobody knows if this will turn out good or bad. Who knows? Game Maker could become something wonderful (not that it isn't already).

Edited by Jo-Jo Bob Joe, 26 January 2007 - 08:01 PM.

#22 Fox USA

Fox USA

GMC Member

• 326 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:01 PM

my post disipered did some one delete it
A this topic is to post a opinion I did and you did mark is probably going to post some thing
if you try to change a opinion the more it gets logged into there head
I would like to see this completed I don’t like it but I did not like it when the made us do gm in school :blink:
you don'y know what you like till you try it

#23 Mark Overmars

Mark Overmars

Game Maker Creator

• GMC Elder
  • 805 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:04 PM

I can understand that some of you are worried. But let me make clear that I have the full trust in these people. I met them many times and am convinced we share the same vision, which is to provide the best possible experience for the Game Maker community.

We are not going to raise prices and we stick to the promise that version 7 will be free for people that registered version 5 and 6. We are simply going to make Game Maker a lot greater and more accessible to more people. To achieve this we are going to put a lot of resources into developing it further.

What we are going to create will be a lot bigger than GMG and 64digits. The publish button in GM7 is just part of this but there is much more to come. Also, we are going to listen to the community. Within a few days we will open a forum on the yoyogames.com site where you can discuss the features you would like to see. Of course we cannot provide all of these at once but we will further develop the site over the coming months.

Mark
Mark Overmars, YoYo Games, www.yoyogames.com

Twitter:
twitter.com/mark_overmars
Check out my book The Game Maker's Apprentice
Buy my iPhone/iPad/Android game Super Snake HD

#24 Eyas

Eyas

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 782 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:05 PM

There are two main facts that I'm surprised people are still talking about, even though many (including myself) posted about:

1- Mark is a director, he will have influence on the decisions
2- Money isn't a bad thing, it is a main motivator, and will actually enhance Game Maker's development

#25 jls900

jls900

Crazy zebra

• 384 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:09 PM

Heck, I'm up for it. Faster development, more development, more people designing it instead of just one guy, sounds good to me. Do you guys really think Mark_Overmars was just like "ooh, look, a company, I'd better hire them right now" and didnt look anything into the company?

I think it was a good decision, change is usually a good thing.

#26 cdm319

cdm319

C++ Programmer

• 885 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:14 PM

after reading mark's post, I think this change is going to be great :blink:

ignore my earlier post

Edited by cdm319, 26 January 2007 - 08:15 PM.

#27 hetotec

hetotec

GMC Member

• 117 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:18 PM

Congratulation Mark^^
Gm is your baby and we love it all, too.

You know best, was the best is for GM and thx that you
ever be here with your Community :blink:
meet here http://www.gm-d.de germanspeaking Gamemakers from Germany, Swiss and Austria

hetotec�s Homepage- click here :)

Never got a star of your own? Get your star here MY STAR

#28 warriorccc0

warriorccc0

GMC Member

• Banned Users
  • 740 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:25 PM

so does this mean you will get help making it....or what?

#29 jackaroo

jackaroo

The Shadow Within

• GMC Member
  • 814 posts
  • Version:GM8

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

I can tell this could become very interesting. Im looking forward to seeing what this group has to offer for GM & the GMC. After reading a few posts my thoughts did change but then reading Marks post made me change my mind back again. This is going to be interesting.

#30 Fox USA

Fox USA

GMC Member

• 326 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:39 PM

I can understand that some of you are worried. But let me make clear that I have the full trust in these people. I met them many times and am convinced we share the same vision, which is to provide the best possible experience for the Game Maker community.

We are not going to raise prices and we stick to the promise that version 7 will be free for people that registered version 5 and 6. We are simply going to make Game Maker a lot greater and more accessible to more people. To achieve this we are going to put a lot of resources into developing it further.

What we are going to create will be a lot bigger than GMG and 64digits. The publish button in GM7 is just part of this but there is much more to come. Also, we are going to listen to the community. Within a few days we will open a forum on the yoyogames.com site where you can discuss the features you would like to see. Of course we cannot provide all of these at once but we will further develop the site over the coming months.

Mark

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

i was right ya
well its just a official 64 digits thats all
good I like 64 digits
but why a xbox guy are you trying to make gm xbox compatable

#31 rappybas

rappybas

GMC Member

• 678 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:40 PM

I like that you are working with them.
I hope that new versions come faster. :blink:
But are they enabled to let GameMaker create Games for consoles like PSP or something? that would be great!!!

(sorry for my bad english i'm dutch)

Edited by rappybas, 26 January 2007 - 08:41 PM.

#32 dabo

dabo

GMC Member

• 155 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:41 PM

I trust Mark, he knows what he is doing.

#33 E.B

E.B

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 149 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:47 PM

Hm..good news about GM Expansion! I think I'll be sticking with 6.1 though...it does what I need it to ^^

~Good luck Dr. Overmars!

#34 FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson

Artist

• Global Moderators
  • 9225 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:05 PM

but why a xbox guy are you trying to make gm xbox compatable

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

...including Sandy Duncan, former head of Xbox in Europe.

I believe Mark just wanted to convey that he is working with talented and experienced people.

#35 Calle

Calle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:07 PM

If this Yo Yo Games new homepage will not promote the already existing, good, homepages (such as mine); then I will be really really pissed. Seems to me then, all they really want to is to move the audience, and put them under their control. Otherwise this is cool...

#36 Yourself

Yourself

The Ultimate Pronoun

• GMC Elder
  • 7352 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:09 PM

If this Yo Yo Games new homepage will not promote the already existing, good, homepages (such as mine);

Why would (or should) they do that?

#37 davidp

davidp

GMC Member

• 1240 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:11 PM

Nice moving, as I saw prices will stay the same ([skeptic]which is kinda funny, thinking more people working on GM for free[/skeptic]).

It's nice to see you're going to try and make something like GMG or 64Digits (with uploading and personal page and stuff), just keep it accesible for as many people possible and for wider range of users (something like now).

Keep it down to earth and user and community friendly (I wouldn't like GM changing to some "like professional" thing like FPS Creator which cost a pretty sum of money but has like 34 users).

Still I believe it will stay as it was (well something like 64Digits, just official would be nice). Hope we won't get scre*ed. :blink:

David

EDIT: Nice to see you're working with people formely connected to XBOX.

*Cought* best console ever *Cought*

Edited by davidp222, 26 January 2007 - 09:12 PM.

#38 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4784 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:13 PM

Just stop acting like a bunch of crybabies for once.

LOL. Thank you, Martin, for saying what so many of us think on a regular basis.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. I don't see how the change could be anything but positive. If Game Maker gets more attention, how can that be a bad thing? I hope some of this new attention is focused on developing new, competitive features, particularly of the D3D variety. But if all that happens is a better forum and a better way for people to share their games, that's fine too.

Congratulations to Mark Overmars on this major turning point in Game Maker history.
GMLscripts.com, rise from your grave!

If any of my posts contain broken images or links, I can probably supply them for you. PM with a link to the post.

#39 davidp

davidp

GMC Member

• 1240 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:18 PM

Just stop acting like a bunch of crybabies for once.

LOL. Thank you, Martin, for saying what so many of us think on a regular basis.

I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going. I don't see how the change could be anything but positive. If Game Maker gets more attention, how can that be a bad thing? I hope some of this new attention is focused on developing new, competitive features, particularly of the D3D variety. But if all that happens is a better forum and a better way for people to share their games, that's fine too.

Congratulations to Mark Overmars on this major turning point in Game Maker history.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Funny is how some can see this only good thing.

But if all that happens is a better forum and a better way for people to share their games, that's fine too.

Better, bigger forums=more users=more stuff going on=better server needed=someone needs to pay, just maybe? Get it? :(

I hope some of this new attention is focused on developing new, competitive features, particularly of the D3D variety.

Get Dark Basic, FPS Creator, C++, other. GM is ment for more "simple" stuff (which can turn out pretty dam* good as proved many time so far). Stop whining about dam* 3D. Jeez :blink:

David

#40 Seeker

Seeker

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:21 PM

Great news. Interesting though. We had just been discussing the expansion of Game Maker and the possibility of bringing others onto the project in that other topic, but you kept mum all this time, Mark. So you've been considering this move for quite a while? Now all of those people who said they were dissatisfied with Game Maker's progress will have a reason to get excited again and come back for the ride. That is, if they ever really left. :blink:

#41 Tr00jg

Tr00jg

GMC Member

• 274 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:24 PM

I can second FredFredrickson.

Change is always good, and this looks to be another awesome move!

Good luck!

#42 Merrie

Merrie

GMC Member

• 24 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:25 PM

Alot of people are concerned and thats ok, but the final trust has to go to Mark Overmars, its his program and if you think about it, having support will allow GM to go on once he is past the age of developing it.

Also, to David, there is nothing wrong with having a 3D aspect in GM. The other developers are much harder to learn and that is one of the reasons GM is so liked. All will be well... Trust in the Force .. :blink:

#43 xot

xot

GMC Dismember

• GMC Elder
  • 4784 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:30 PM

Funny is how some can see this only good thing.

Funny is how some people are so jaded that they just can't live with themselves unless they find some way to take a positive post and turn it into something negative. Nice work. Great community spirit. :blink:
GMLscripts.com, rise from your grave!

If any of my posts contain broken images or links, I can probably supply them for you. PM with a link to the post.

#44 Mordi

Mordi

Maker of Menus

• 3635 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

This is great news!
What will they do exactly..? Build in more features? Add more efficiency, or what?

#45 Greg24

Greg24

GMC Member

• 223 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:36 PM

Mark, I think that is fantastic news, Im sure it will aid in making GM an even better product and take some of the weight off you! Congrats!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry but I doubt they will make it a better product. Game Maker is already an excellent product but one of its major limiting factors is speed - Game Maker is written in Delphi, and unfortunately your games are NOT compiled but interpreted, so you are extremely limited in the type of games and complexity of games you can make because of speed factor and slowing down - Very complex games would require people having the latest processors, and even that, sometimes complex features used will slow things. The way game maker is made and the double use of bitmaps and uncompressed resources in memory, gobbles your memory resources to ridiculous amounts - Game Maker would require a complete rewrite and be programmed in C from the grounds up and allowing games to be compiled or conveted in a way that does not put so much stress on resources. We both know it will not happen - As far as the idea of them publishing your games online for FREE, well with the laughable quality of some of the releases here, I don't see how they will last. There is only a handfull of games WORTHY out there to be published - And seeing most people here use ripped resources, that can be a problem. They will probably help by offering services and addons but I really don't see how they will make GM better, unless they completly re-write it,. as I said, the product is already great, but in order to fix its limitations you would need a complete rewrite...

#46 Glenshadow

Glenshadow

GMC Member

• 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:37 PM

hhhmmm... I am... Cautiously optimistic.

Traditionally when something like this happens to a small, non-corporate product, the first thing the corporation does is ruin it.

However, I'm sure on many levels Mark sees GM as his 'baby', and wouldn't knowingly lay it into the hands of people that would ruin it.

I'm sure his intentions are good.

On the other side of the coin, I am reminding of an old saying:

"The road to hell is paved with good intentions."

. . .

GM is Mark's creation, and we don't really have any right to tell him what to do with it...

In the end, I'm sure he's confident in this move, or he wouldn't be making it.

Edited by Glenshadow, 26 January 2007 - 09:38 PM.

#47 Abyssal_Nuclei

Abyssal_Nuclei

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 1695 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:38 PM

I think it is a change in the right direction. I can imagine GM getting some great overhauls, and new additions. Of course nothing is certain, but this definatly could lead in more good directions then bad ones.

~Abyss
America needs fewer laws, not more prisons.

The Ideal is attainable; We, as America, need to stop settling.

Our God is an awesome God!

#48 Calle

Calle

GMC Member

• GMC Member
  • 689 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:40 PM

Why would they promote the existing community? Oh come on, if they don't then there will absolutely ruin the last of the "community" feeling. It will steal the audience from all it "competitors". Well, go ahead, make it commercial then you *** :blink:

#49 Bear

Bear

GMC Member

• 846 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:40 PM

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry but I doubt they will make it a better product.
as I said, the product is already great, but in order to fix its limitations you would need a complete rewrite...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

About that, I wonder if this change will result in GM changing into a compiler rather than an interpreter. I hope you're right, FredFredrickson, that change is good. Most of the time.

#50 the_real_gumby

the_real_gumby

GMC Member

• 38 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:42 PM

I read the announcement at first and wasn't sure what to think.
My biggest question is will Game Maker change very much? And will it become more expensive? And will the registered and unreigistered system still work the same way?
And one other thing; will Game Maker become a commercial product?
I dunno... I have mixed feelings about this. Game Maker is my buddy and it half way seems like he's selling out and half way feels like he's growing up (eyes well up with tears).

Anyway, if GM changes very much, I'm sure there will still be the various cults that refuse to leave their beloved GM 6.1 (or 7, perhaps).

I'll have to see what happens, then decide what I like better.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users