1. Mhj

Mhj

“How long to beat” puts this game at around 20 hours for a normal play through. That’s quite a commitment on my part. Does those 20 hours involve lots of random being lost, or is it reasonably stream lined to allow 30 min play sessions and always feeling some progress was made?

2. Imp the Dimp

Imp the Dimp

~30h for a nigh complete playthrough. High variance due to optional content and difficult navigation which could get you lost for shorter or longer spans.

3. mazi

mazi

compared to the first two areas, the third area i got to (fungal area) is much more complex, took me a while to find cornifer, and the basic map is less than half of what there actually is.
    also yay
    wall jump

4. MonkeySleeve

MonkeySleeve

Around 30 hours to complete, 40-50 hours to 100% it. And then there are still some optional parts (DLC and stuff) that add a whole other couple of hours.

5. Kiro

Kiro

I have difficulty fathoming this. I've explored a fair bit of areas, and it's been about 5 or 6 hours. Is the map really THAT big to give me 5x more content at minimum? Dang.

6. Brian Damage

Brian Damage

Which areas have you been to? Some areas you pass through early on have parts you come back to properly later.

7. Kain-Nosgoth

Kain-Nosgoth

really depends on the player, i 100% the game in 32 hours, add like 3-4 hours for the DLC available right now

the game has tons of secrets so it will depend on you if you find them or not

8. Took me around 30 hours to 100%, mileage will probably vary due to difficulty and the openness of the game.

9. MonkeySleeve

MonkeySleeve

It's pretty amazing right? I was blown away when I kept finding new areas and stuff to do. There are a few parts that will consume a lot of time but since these are optional it's still pretty amazing that it provides this much content.

10. Kiro

Kiro

I've done a loop east through city of tears. Then detoured to crystal caves and got super boost. Jumped over to wailing mountain in the west and found spin slash.
    But I think I missed a big boss back in the city or queens palace or something. I don't want tips though :) just sharing.

11. Bushido

Bushido

I've been waiting for so long and was tempted so many times to buy it on PC, but now I'm glad I saw it through and can devour it on my Switch. This game is even better than I expected, I LOVE the sound design, how great and responsive everything feels, the atmosphere, level design, mechanics, level of detail and feedback...everything about it is amazing. Only 2-3 hours in but I can already tell that it's one of my favorite Metroidvanias and highlights of the year. Can't wait to jump back in tonight.

12. NediarPT88

NediarPT88

Yeah upgrading the nail helps a lot. In Greenpath there's a charm you can find that I used pretty much for the whole game (careful with the thorns lol). Finding those green grubs also gives you some pretty good stuff. Finding the NPC I mentioned before can help you a lot if you have the currency for it. In my first playthrough I usually left the bosses for last, and only tackled them when I felt I had nothing more to discover in all areas with the abilities that I had. I know that some people don't like to backtrack but I'm one of those that whenever sees a area out of reach it stays in my head and when I think I finally have what I need to get to it I go there immediately. Doing that in this game is very rewarding.

Don't know how many areas you've explored but the map is pretty damn big.

13. Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

Hmm... Beat two bosses and now I can't see where to go. Everything seems inaccessible except one place which is dark as hell but the light costs a lot of money.

Clearly I must be missing a thing or two.

14. NediarPT88

NediarPT88

Getting the super boost in just 6 hours sounds really fast, I can't remember how much time I took in the first areas but that strikes me as impressive.

15. Nickerous

Nickerous

I'm at a point where I won’t lose much money so, I’m spamming the Mantis lords. Three times this morning and no luck. I can get to the second phase, but have never taken out a second lord. The other charm was the money collecting one. I removed that and now have the spirit discount and the rage one that activates when I’m down to one health. I see the pattern, but I get nervous when I start to do good. And I feel like I don’t have time to heal between attacks[\spoiler]

16. ElGoldur

ElGoldur

I am not sure where you are but this might be handy ... you can bounce off mushrooms by attacking down in the air.

17. Brian Damage

Brian Damage

If you want a tip about when to heal for that...

When they do the simultaneous blade throw that mostly stays in the middle of the arena, stay right in the middle and you'll have time to heal 1 or 2 masks. If you're properly positioned you don't even have to dodge them.

18. Yuuber

Yuuber

Guys, where do I find the Green Path's map?

19. MonkeySleeve

MonkeySleeve

Double post oops

20. MonkeySleeve

MonkeySleeve

Nvm :P

21. Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

I don't even recall seeing any.

22. Brian Damage

Brian Damage

The bouncy things in the Fungal Wastes. You can downslash to bounce off them much higher.

23. Kiro

Kiro

Heh thanks. I know I've missed stuff but I usually explore most rooms that I can. I haven't died to any bosses yet, just about 4 deaths to multiple big enemies that trapped me.

24. Jaded Alyx

Jaded Alyx

...k... Well I... Haven't been there....

Seems I have some work to do.

25. Kazaam

Kazaam

Spikes as well (not thorns though). And yes, there are certain enemies in certain areas that basically serve as some sort of "platforms" for this.

26. mazi

mazi

so the boss of the fungal area is way too much for me, decided to backtrack a little and
    there's a whole new area if you return to where you start the game with wall jump. should i do this one or go back into the well?
    i found a power up for my needle here

27. IamPeacock

IamPeacock

Any news on the physical release? Want to buy, but probalby wait then.

28. Kazaam

Kazaam

You can definitely go there. It's not challenging and there are some cool stuff to be found there.

29. Dancrane212

Dancrane212
    Member OP

Team Cherry implied they were taking meetings about that at E3 this week.

30. mazi

mazi

thanks, i found the map, it doesn't seem to be a big are

31. Aurongel

Aurongel

is a super annoying fight and is giving me a pretty rough go of things. I do love the way they stash secrets like this away in areas you've already explored in the early game. I just wish some of the more minor fights like this were a little more creative either visually or in their move sets.

32. MiTYH

MiTYH

Got the game after release and really enjoying it. I went in basically blind only seeing a trailer and quick gameplay. Made my way to the second boss and it took a few tries. It's tough, for sure, but really beautiful game and the soundtrack is amazing. Starting to get the hang of it and can't wait to get deeper into it

33. Kazaam

Kazaam

There are so many heartbreaking moments in this game and within the story/lore of Hollow Knight, but Myla's end still leaves me devastated. For those that know what I'm talking about, what did you do?

34. Menace

Menace

everyone asking what to do and where to go after the second boss is sort of missing the point. You're kinda supposed to get lost and discover new things yourself

35. Kazaam

Kazaam

This is what I mean:
    [​IMG]

36. daxy

daxy

I was having the damndest time pulling this one off yesterday. The joycon sticks are incredibly fickle!

Yeah, this is what I like most about this genre, but I can see how it can be a bit frustrating if you somehow miss that one critical spot on the map you're supposed to go.

37. MonkeySleeve

MonkeySleeve

Yea wouldn't really suggest checking this topic. Just go and play, figure stuff out for your self. Hell, it took me damn long to figure out that you can use downward slash on spikes!

38. Menace

Menace

that's one of the cool things about HK, though, it opens up in a way where you can tackle multiple different routes up until the end of the game. There isn't really a critical path, just an "ideal" path perhaps, but you're not supposed to know it on the first playthrough. And running into the NPCs again the most random places was one of the most enjoyable experiences for me

39. Kyra

Kyra
    The Eggplant Queen Member

What's amazing is that isn't the only way to get that grub. You don't have to know about the downward slash to even beat this game.

40. Elshoelace

Elshoelace

Gonna pick this up finally. I know it comes with all the DLC, is that a postgame thing or is it encountered normally through a playthrough?

41. Theres 150 > enemies so i'm sure youll find some you like

42. MonkeySleeve

MonkeySleeve

Just normally through a play through. Some are a bit hidden tho.

43. Hybris

Hybris

This thread is a fun read. I'm holding off for their final DLC to do a replay + the new stuff, and I'm seriously looking forward to that. This game is really something special!

44. Bushido

Bushido

Mind = blown. I figured out that I can downward slash and bounce off enemies within the first 5 minutes of the game, but it didn't cross my mind I could do the same with spikes and thought I'd get a special skill for sections like these later on. Damn...

45. Elshoelace

Elshoelace

Sounds good, thanks!

46. Wamb0wneD

Wamb0wneD

Holy shit. This is in the crossroads right? Could you tell me where? I don't remember at all lol.

47. Morrigan

Morrigan
    Armoring Moderator

The game is huuuuuge. If you take your time and explore you will take a hell of a lot more than 20-30 hours tbh.

48. Kazaam

Kazaam

As someone mentioned earlier, you can go through the entire game without using this skill. You can get to areas like this one using other means. That's the beauty of the game really.. you could wait until later when you get some skills that make reaching similar areas really easy, or if you want the rewards early on you can use methods that are more difficult.

Should be somewhere close to the tram.

49. ginnokane

ginnokane

This may be a silly question, but I bought everything from the map vendor in Dirtmouth, and have no idea how to use the red and blue map markers I bought (the explanation seemed to suggest you can put them on the map yourself). Can someone explain how to use them?

50. Meffer

Meffer

Mhmm, docked and handheld.