1. -shadow-

-shadow-

Recently finally ordered, received and watched the Complete Specials. I missed a couple of the episodes, but wanted to have watch them all before I started with the fifth season. Now watching episode 4 with the Wheeping Angels and loving it very much. Can't wait to continue again with the series in preparation for the new season!

2. Planet of the Spiders isn't the greatest Doctor Who story ever, and the episode long chase scene is a bit much, but I quite like it on the whole. The redemption of Mike Yates and the Doctor having to face his fears make for a really solid way to wrap up the era in my mind. It definitely is the most Letts that a Doctor Who story could ever be.

And that regeneration scene is one of the best ever in my mind. "A tear, Sarah Jane? No, don't cry. Where there's life..."

3. Vibranium

Vibranium

Besides his regeneration, Pertwee's goodbye to Jo is still one of the most emotional, best-acted moments in Doctor Who history. I absolutely love how he sits down in Bessie, looks to her direction with a sigh, and drives away.

Glad he is getting a well-deserved break where he can chill with his family and enjoy his life.

Would love to see Capaldi get big roles in more blockbuster movies (he's great in Paddington) but he should do the work that interests him.

4. Pagusas

Pagusas

Loving the series 9 soundtrack. Shepherd boy <3

5. Hamchan

Hamchan

God we’ve waited so long to get these Heaven Sent tracks. Very happy right now.

6. Spectromixer

Spectromixer

7. BDS

BDS

I've been waiting ten thousand years for the Heaven Sent soundtrack. It's finally here. The first second of eternity has passed.

8. Dary

Dary

Got the Heaven Sent soundtrack on Thursday. Apparently there's three other discs with it??

9. Nikus

Nikus

My god, finally !
    [​IMG]
    I've been mostly posting in DW threads for two years just to complain about this. Why the hell did it take so long??

10. Dwebble

Dwebble
    Member OP

God, The Shepherd’s Boy is so goddamned good.

11. PlanetSmasher

PlanetSmasher
    The Abominable Showman Member

Just on a whim I went on the iTunes Store and searched for "Doctor Who Series 9", and of course, that song is the #1 best selling suggestion. Bought it in an instant.

12. zoojoo

zoojoo

I believe the rights for soundtrack distribution changed hands was the main reason, but yeah, hopefully it won't take as long for the series 10 ost.

13. EvilRedEye

EvilRedEye

The Series 9 soundtrack has a score of 3.5 on Amazon because someone rated it 1 star for being 'boring'. Sigh.

14. Great that Capaldi is enjoying himself. The man has worked his ass off so why not.

15. Blader

Blader

Oh that was something I meant to include but forgot, but I did like the callbacks in the episode. That kind of continuity was a nice touch and gave Planet of the Spiders more of a swan song feeling.

Well, doesn't his refusal to regenerate go hand in hand with his willingness to sacrifice himself for the sake of his mission statement? He had resigned himself to death and was stubborn about having to continue on.

I agree that's probably my favorite. I'd say The Doctor Falls/Twice Upon a Time, Parting of the Ways, and The War Games are my top 3. I still haven't seen either Baker's regeneration but doesn't sound like I'm missing much so far

The redemption of Mike Yates was one of my issues with it because there really wasn't much of a redemption arc; they barely even acknowledged he was in need of redemption. The fact that he nearly tried to erase 99 percent of humanity from existing not that long ago is handwaved away as "That business with the golden age" :lol And then never brought up again! I'd say the Brig was awfully lenient with his punishment of simply relieving him from UNIT

16. mclem

mclem

Oh, bloody ace. More details on the fifth River Song Big Finish series:

THEY GOT ERIC ROBERTS!

17. Dwebble

Dwebble
    Member OP

That's amazing.

I had thought that Missy was off-limits because she belongs to the Capaldi era, but I'm very happy to be wrong.

18. PaulloDEC

PaulloDEC

Well that ain't bad! Never thought they'd get someone like Roberts into the booth.

19. APZonerunner

APZonerunner
    Features Editor at VG247.com Verafied

It seems the attitude now is that Doctors and companions are off-limits for the most recent era, but everything else is OK. Like, Smith was barely out of the role and we were getting Big Finish stuff with Vastra, Jenny and Drax.

20. Roberts is definitely an "oh wow, really??" get for them. Totally unexpected

21. mclem

mclem

There's a bunch of titles there, I'd assume given the pun that The Bekdel Test is the Gomez one.

22. EvilRedEye

EvilRedEye

I think they have a generic license for everything up to Time of the Doctor and have to get special approval for anything else. They've mentioned requiring special approval for the Paternoster Gang (who appeared in the 12th Doctor era) even though they have the new series license. I think they have to work a lot with BBC Worldwide anyway - making sure there aren't accidental overlaps with upcoming stories etc. I would imagine Worldwide have stopped giving a shit about the 12th Doctor era now and are rubberstamping everything before 13 even though the broader license doesn't cover it.

23. mclem

mclem

Speaking of which: There's no way Capaldi doesn't do Big Finish in due course, is there?

24. Platy

Platy

I have zero knowledge of the audios but for me it feels that Eric Roberts would be the kind of person who would be ok with anything ... why it took so long for him to appear?

Schedule conflict with his 372 low budget movies? =P

25. APZonerunner

APZonerunner
    Features Editor at VG247.com Verafied

He's definitely gonna do it. Matt too - Matt's even said in interviews he's looking forward to doing it but is waiting for the thumbs up from the BBC. I reckon we'll get a series with David and Freema and then we're going to get Matt/Karen (assuming her newfound Hollywood success doesn't keep her away? She seems the type who'd make time for it though), then they'll loop back around for more Tenth Doctor stuff.

There's a lot of weird shit about the movie. Like the original characters, Grace and Chang - they belong to Universal/Fox, who co-produced the TV movie, not the BBC. That's why there's never been 8th Doctor audios from Big Finish with his 'original' companions. Like the Doctor Universal wouldn't own The Master because he was an existing character, but the TV movie was still a black hole licensing-wise for many years. I didn't even get a home video release outside the UK until 2010(!) because of the rights problems.

26. A lot of what is in the movie (aside from the Doctor) is owned by Universal, rather than the BBC. While the Master obviously doesn't fit into that, I think the implication in the past was that the Roberts version did belong to Universal (or at least that Universal owns the rights to "Bruce possessed by the Master"). I presume that situation has been cleared up.

27. sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

anyone else hyped for the first fourth doctor blu ray set in a month?

Shada came out looking pretty good, so even with the SD source it should be significantly better the the dvds with less compression (and better compression too, no more MPEG2 artifacts!) Only thing I'm worried about is whether it'll sell well enough in this age of streaming.

28. Radiophonic

Radiophonic

I imagine it’ll do okay, given the hardcore fans who want physical products in a fan base like Who’s.

29. sir_crocodile

sir_crocodile

Sure hope so. I want them to get to McCoy at least.

30. I'm excited for the release, especially since it's been ages since I watched most of Season 12. I do hope that they release Season sets for at least all the color seasons (what they'll do for the 60s seasons is probably up in the air depending on if anything else turns up or not, but Seasons 1, 2 and 6 at least have most of their material in the archives).

31. Dwebble

Dwebble
    Member OP

I'm honestly more excited for new series releases as part of the collection.

The prospect of the RT being let loose on the modern stuff is a tantalising prospect.

32. Platy

Platy

Wow! Didn't knew the movie was such a mess behind the scenes =O

33. EvilRedEye

EvilRedEye

Rumour is they will start Pertwee at Season 10, which might be the earliest they go until they run out of other seasons. Early Pertwee is mostly restored from home Betamax recordings or chroma key restorations and looks very rough.

34. Cengizhan

Cengizhan

I was honestly waiting for so long to hear the full version of this! Any other recommended songs in the series 9 soundtrack?

35. M.Bluth

M.Bluth

Watch RTD and Moffat fling compliments at each other

36. Paradox

Paradox

Get rid of Doctor Who Fan Show and just have RTD and Moffat chatting about random Doctor Who stuff every other week. Of course they never would in a million years, but I'd love to see them do reviews of S11 as it airs.

37. Pagusas

Pagusas

The singing towers is amazing.

38. Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Reminder to pick up the Free Doctor Who comic with 13 in it for Free Comic Book Day!

39. Pagusas

Pagusas

Where does one get this?

40. Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Sorry I missed seeing this yesterday, on Free Comic Book Day (first Saturday in May) brick and mortar comic book stores will have a ton of free comic books out for customers sent from the publishers. This year's Doctor Who comic was a 2018 preview with 13 in it. So any nearby local comic book shop might have gotten a copy and you just have to show up to get one.

41. Pagusas

Pagusas

Anyone have an online link where one can buy this comic?

42. 8bit

8bit

ebay, it was a promo to get you to go to a store.

43. Spectromixer

Spectromixer

They will usually go up online as a free digital comic a little bit later

44. Platy

Platy

...anyoen got it ?

how it was?

45. 8bit

8bit

It's just one page, three panel introduction of Jodie.

46. M.Bluth

M.Bluth

That sounds lame... Is it?

47. 8bit

8bit

Well, the first two panels are background and she's only in the third so..
    [​IMG]

48. Blader

Blader

Robot
    Oh, so this is why everyone loves Tom Baker.

I've seen a couple Baker serials before so I wasn't completely oblivious to the Fourth Doctor before going into this. But I was surprised and impressed with how quickly Baker not just stepped into the role, but completely owned it. I had grown to like Pertwee more than I thought I would, but by the end of his run I was feeling burned out. In an instant, though, Baker brings a breath of fresh air to the series, and injects it with a new burst of manic energy and humor. Whereas previous Doctors had a good quip here or there, Baker is consistently and frequently all-out funny -- and not even from just the lines he says, or how he says them, but tiny facial ticks and other body language cues that gets across a lot of personality with seemingly little effort.

This was a passing-of-the-torch story, because it's not only Tom Baker's first outing as the Doctor, but also the last for producer Barry Letts, who had presided over nearly the entirety of Pertwee's tenure. As such, it feels like a pretty standard Third Doctor story: mad scientists unleash evil robot to take over the world, the Doctor and UNIT assemble to stop them. But the routine plot highlights what Baker so quickly brings to the show, making what would've been a tired story feel fresh and fun just by virtue of him being in it. And credit to Terrance Dicks (the outgoing script editor who wrote this episode himself) for just as quickly shifting gears in how he writes the Doctor. I remember Moffat and maybe RTD saying it took them a while to write their Doctors for the actors playing them because you have to become familiar with the actor's personality before you can incorporate it into the role. But right from the start here it's like Dicks has flipped a switch in his brain, writing Baker's Doctor so much more flippant and energetic than he did Pertwee's. Baker's debut probably wouldn't have landed as well as it did if Dicks was still writing him as if he were exactly like the Third Doctor.

I was originally planning to take a month off from classic Who after this, so that I didn't burn myself out. But this was such a funny, energetic second wind for me that I just want to dive back in with Baker's run right away.

49. Spectromixer

Spectromixer

The free comic is basically promotion for the new comic series with 13 that will launch later this year

50. EvilRedEye

EvilRedEye

Big Finish are doing the Paul Spragg short story contest again but now submissions are open for all the Doctors up to the Twelth Doctor as of Twice Upon A Time, with the exception of the War Doctor. So interesting news in and of itself but also maybe an indication of where Big Finish are at with their licensing.