1. Rover

Rover

I've been wanting to try Whitehall Mystery after they said it cleaned up the gameplay of its predecessors.

2. derdriu

derdriu

So, thinking of getting a horror them game for tomorrow night as some friends are coming over, and I'm looking at Dead of winter. My question is what would be the game to get, 'dead of winter', or 'dead of winter long night'?

3. Halloumiface

Halloumiface

My understanding is that both are great, but I've only played the original! They can also be combined into one mega game.

4. zulux21

zulux21

long night.
    they are both fundamentally the same (new set of characters and what not), the long night just has extra mechanics added that allow you to change up the game more and more flexibility with some of the items.

the only real reason to own the base dead of winter at this point is if you want to play the newest expansion
    Dead of Winter: Warring Colonies

5. Llyranor

Llyranor

Do people around like the Game of Thrones boardgame? It's the local favorite here with my bgaming group. We enjoy the strategy, predicting opponents' moves, the backstabbing and flimsy alliances. It's fun if you can get into the 'trust no one' mindset, while having to makes truces or mutually beneficial agreements because you won't be able to do much if you just play with closed defensive borders all around you.
    How hardcore is it, really? Trying to see if my SO would enjoy it.

6. Neverfade

Neverfade

I'm a fan of GoT.

Looking forward to see how the mechanics have evolved in Battle for Rokugen.

7. LordGorchnik

LordGorchnik

I am beginning to work on my Kingdom Death Monster 1.5 figures. This game is absolutely massive and the box is huge. Crazy thing is this is only wave 1 of 3 that's shown up at my doorstep.

8. derdriu

derdriu

Great, thanks. I think i'll go ahead and get The long night tomorrow. I might get the dead of winter later in the future for mega games.

9. Lumination

Lumination

If you're talking about the 3-5hr one with bidding wars and the hidden moves revealed at once with the tokens, I love that game. I don't get to play it often because of its long playtime so I wouldn't be able to gripe about game balance or something, but it's a lot of fun and emulates the bickering for power while the wildings attack feeling quite well.

Though to I'm not sure how to answer your question. The complexity doesn't come from the cards or mechanics, but rather, from predicting and outplaying every once. To account for all possibilities makes each turn complex in that way.

10. Boat Times

Boat Times

Definitely pick up Long Night. I played it a few nights ago for my "Halloween" game night. In fact, here's a little write-up of that night and the games we played (Long Night and Betrayal at House on the Hill):

Dead of Winter was very cool, I just can't get over how that game is Walking Dead in board game form. We had a scenario where the colony was completely filled with Zombies, and in order to win there had to be more survivors in the colony than Zombos. We ended up winning somewhat handily, but not without 4 survivors dying all in one turn first. Luckily, one survivor had the katana and she went out in a blaze of glory, slashing her way through 5 zombies before biting the dust. Another player got greedy, tried to kill a Zombie outside the colony for some dumb reason (it was their secret objective), they instantly died, and caused a cross roads that killed their other character, which caused mine to become infected and I had to kill poor Hugo (who also did a pretty bad ass move earlier in the game, taking out 4 zombies at once with a lighter and some fuel). Luckily the katana attack, combined with Hugo's lighter attack the turn before guaranteed us the win. I turned out to be the only player who "won", though. Everyone else did not meet their objective. Mine was to have at least two survivors each equipped with a weapon of some sort. No traitors this time.

Betrayal was pretty good too, though it was a long one. The Haunt didn't happen till we were almost done with the map, only had about 6 tiles left. It was an interesting one because it turned out none of us playing were the traitor. Never seen that happen before in the game. Instead there were evil twins of all four us who showed up at the entrance. They had the exact same stats as our characters, but could only be killed with a special item, and by the person who they were a twin of. There were 4 of us playing, and me and one other died the first turn the haunt started. We thought we were all going to lose, but the other two players met up with each other and ended up dealing with the enemies pretty easily.

11. Nerdcy

Nerdcy

We just started Pandemic Legacy (the campaign version of Pandemic). Are there any other good cooperative strategy board games?

12. MrFarenheit

MrFarenheit

People I know just keep gushing about Gloomhaven. The issue being with availability now. I enjoy sentinels of the multiverse (much lighter non legacy deck based superhero game). Mansions of madness was also good fun when I played it. On another note our first Halloween game of the season was Mysterium and our session was great. With a good group that game is so fun.

13. zulux21

zulux21

I imagine spirit island would fall under the cat of a good cooperative strategy board game.

14. Rolento

Rolento

Was worried I lost this thread 0_0 glad I found it today.

Do members want me to remake the Tabletop Design thread? It was starting to gain ground and got halted with the fall of the past.

Also, working on my game now, what games out there, preferably co-op or solo, have a campaign or unlock system?

Im wandering this as I am creating a game where players can craft cards into their deck between playthrough based on items aquired.

15. Llyranor

Llyranor

Yeah, that's the one! (GOT)

So, for Twilight Struggle, the rules are relatively straightforward, and the challenge is in the strategizing, deception, reading opponent's mind, etc?
    Gloomhaven is supposed to be readily available in retail in December.

It better actually be 'readily available'.

16. Lumination

Lumination

Oh, sorry! Didn't realize the second part of the question was in response to a different quote. I was very confused why you were asking about how hardcore a game was when you said you were playing it with friends regularly haha. Please disregard.

17. -Tetsuo-

-Tetsuo-

It is pretty hardcore, lol. It is a very tense and nerve wracking play the entire time. Lots and lots and lots of options each turn. Just and incredible amount to think about and keep up with.And the entire time is like 3 hours.

18. Rupetta

Rupetta

Rules are relatively simple, rulebook not so much - TS is a heavy strategy game, trying to control areas does not come easy, it has dice and some unpredictability in draw of cards BUT very little luck in outcome of games. there's no deception component to it. You need to react to your opponent's plays adding also a tactical element to it.

19. Tymerend

Tymerend

I started in on board gaming over the summer with my girlfriend and at the insistence of my best friend who owned what I had thought was entirely too many Ikea shelving units of games.

Until now I had been exclusively into video games since the Colecovision when I was a wee one. I might be old as shit.

Anyway, started with some Sheriff of Nottingham with some other friends which was entirely too much fun, and then dove in feet first and got Pandemic Legacy Season 1 which my girlfriend and I played as a couple. That game really opened my eyes to what board gaming offered and I've been on a tear trying to catch up on a hobby I had always considered being just Monopoly and Trivial Pursuit.

Since then I've picked up some really wonderful stuff like Mice and Mystics (Which also happens to be the first time I've painted miniatures), Mansions of Madness, Coup, Dixit, Betrayal at House on the Hill, Clank!, Forbidden Island, Champions of Midgard, Above and Below, Blood Rage, and Scythe among some other fun small games like Harbour and Gloom and, of course, I just got Season 2 of Pandemic Legacy which the GF says she wants to play during the month that the game is on which will, I'm kinda certain, kill me because I have no patience.

I have a far too extensive wishlist on BGG.

The PROBLEM I'm having right now is I got into the hobby after the Kickstarter for Gloomhaven. I now find myself stuck waiting on information as to when it'll be hitting retail. Kickstarter backers are evidently getting theirs in waves from now through the end of the year at which point hopefully they'll be releasing them into the wild? Several of the board game shops around here have added me to wait lists but no one is rock solid on how many they'll actually be receiving.

That's probably the strangest thing about this hobby. I'm used to mostly firm release dates in a hobby of digital goods that don't really sell out don't really don't go out of print these days. If I want the second expansion to Mice and Mystics which, according to the publisher, "might possibly maybe be kinda getting reprinted maybe we dunno?" I just have to keep hoping. Oh well, it's still a fascinating landscape of a hobby. New ideas fly around like crazy and as opposed to a crazy risk averse video game universe, it seems that new ideas are simply the MO of board games. It's kinda refreshing.

20. Vyse24

Vyse24

Game reached its funding goal a few hours ago.

21. Tyvan

Tyvan

There are many. I highly recommend Sentinals of the Multiverse. What makes it great is that everyone has a hand of cards. So it's not like most other co op games where there is always that leader trying to get people to do what they think should be done. So no Generals in Sentinals. Great Co-op card game.

22. Llyranor

Llyranor

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1863430/any-copies-going-retail

Dev: "Yes, we have printed 70,000 copies, and about half of those are going into retail. They should be showing up in stores in early December."

23. hythloday

hythloday

Just recently got into board games/card games. I had no idea there were so many out there.

Right now our collection includes Fluxx, Seven Dragons, Rick and Morty Munchkin, Exploding Kittens, and Carcassone. (LOVE Carcassonne!) I've played Ticket to Ride and Dungeon! with friends.

I'd like to get into some of the longer, more complicated games like Gloomhaven and Agricola but I'm intentionally limiting game purchases for now since there's so much stuff out there that looks cool I could easily go overboard (teehee). Also I'm not yet up to the point where I want to go join game clubs or anything like that, and unless friends come visit I'm just going to be playing with my husband so anything I buy needs to be OK for just 2 players. Right now I'm eyeing Tak, 7 Wonders Duel and Hive.

24. Salamande

Salamande

Amazon's doing one better and having a buy one, get one sale on board games. Not sure how long this one will last. It's not a huge selection, but they include some classics like Catan, Carcassone, and King of Tokyo.

EDIT: Sorry, this one's also buy two, get one.

25. elyetis

elyetis

I had a pretty fun times the past few weekend playing Hogwarts Battle ( 2 players ), all 7 years. But I'm a big fanboy ( cf my avatar ) so it's very much subjective.

Why I liked :
    - the theme it's everywhere ( even if reusing old villains each year doesn't make sense )
    - new rules ( and cards ) being introduced as you advance in the differents years
    - the ( thought small ) difference between each playable characters

What I dislike :
    - too easy, we added 3 skull to each location and still didn't have much of a hard time, only had to redo the 6th years once. That being said I heard that more characters mean a harder game, I'll try that next week.
    - you need to house rule to have a better experience. For us it was the ability to remove a card from the cards you can buy, so that you won't be stuck with bad cards or too expensive one, we choose that to do so you still need to spend half of the card value, rounded up.

In the grand scheme of thing we did love the game and want to spend more time with it ( which is why I also bought the extension ), but it comes from people who : love the theme, and also like legendary games ( marvel included ).

That being said we do want to spend time at some point tinkering with the game with house rules. ( once we see what the extension introduce thought ) I do think the game could use trying to find a good vilain order ( that you have to randomize with the official rules ) for each year, and adding the ability to remove cards from your deck.

26. Tymerend

Tymerend

Yeah, but no one I've talked to at the retail stores knows how many they'll be getting. Just waiting and seeing at this point.

If you want something a little heavier, I could not recommend Pandemic Legacy Season 1 any more highly. It's a 2 to 4 player game that works amazingly well with two players, the campaign takes place over 12 to 24 games depending on how well you do, it's not overly fussy and I super enjoyed it with my girlfriend.

We also really like Jaipur, though it's a smaller game. Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert are also cool for two players, but tend to be shorter experiences.

27. Llyranor

Llyranor

Well, I'm as anxious as you on that one! I just hope there's no price creep above MSRP from lack of supply.

28. Tyvan

Tyvan

Check out Patchwork. It's a 2 player only game the wife and I play it all the time. Physically playing it is so fun, but there is a digital version as well. Great 2 player game!

29. BrokenMill

BrokenMill

Yes please! I'd love to post updates and discuss design again :)

30. Halloumiface

Halloumiface

I want to add to this recommendation, a great chill 2 player game, looks good, a nice dose of strategy and not too "nasty".

31. KJ869

KJ869

TS is not that bad. Its not modern eurogame of course but its not some rules monster. Look BGG for the flowchart and you get idea how difficult it is. There are fairly limited amount of things you can do each turn and big factor in gameplay is how to mitigate your bad luck. Its good game for first card driven wargame. Watching some good youtube tutorial will probaly be wise. As the rules are writen wargame style as reference manual, so they are fast to search when you fell unsure about something. The catch with TS is to give new player the soviet union and tell them about europe scoring. The game can end turn 3 by europe control if you dont know how important it is. Also the soviest have easier time doing that so thats why you give soviets to new player as its less likely that the usa can crush them by turn 3 in europe. New deluxe edition is also good in component quality so there wont be as big shock to components because most wargames will fell cheap.

32. Rolento

Rolento

Ok it'll probably have to wait a little for me to start one again, but hopefully by tomorrow I'll have one up.

33. KJ869

KJ869

My mind was blown when I realised why its so lovely 2 player game. On your turn you have exactly 4 options. That makes the turns go fast, still have depth in game and challenge. Also randomized "board" (the ring of pieces) makes it so every game has different tempo.

34. derdriu

derdriu

Sounds great! defiantly will pick it up after work. I'm gonna check some how to play vids so i will have some understanding to get the game set up quicker. Cant wait to see what our scenario will be. really looking forward to it:)

I got pandemic legacy recently, but having a real hard time holding down the same crew to play the campaign. I've heard great things for Mansion of madness coo-op, but I haven't played it yet. We've played and really enjoy Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective. The stand alone cases are more satisfying than the jack the ripper cases. You get great discussions out of the game and great satisfaction when you answer all the questions correctly.
    I tried T.I.M.E. stories base game, and liked it at the beginning, but the time looping grew tiresome, the story was a bit predictable and not to mention the cost of it for just 2 -4 playthroughs. Apparently the different expansions get better, but I just didnt want to use more money on it.

35. Dubloon7

Dubloon7
    Banned Member

Own:
    -Dark Souls Board Game: I EFFING HATE IT! (0/10)
    -7 Wonders: Never played yet (-/10)
    -Sushi Go!: Fun but no one to play (6/10)
    -BANG!: Played YEARS ago with tons of friends, now no one to play with (8/10)
    -Exploding Kittens: Same as other card games (7/10)
    -Rick and Morty: Total Rickall card game (4/10)
    -Cards Against Humanity: Comedy wore thin ASAP (2/10) [I think apples to apples hold up better than this and don't understand why this adult themed game is so hyped to hell]

My brother owns:
    -Dominion - Played four times. 7.5/10
    -King of New York - Played twice. 7/10
    -Betrayal on House on Hill - Played twice. 6.5/10
    -Kingdom Death Monster: Never played

36. Riptwo

Riptwo

Any early tips on assembly? I'm gonna open mine and start putting minis together this weekend!

37. ChrisR

ChrisR

I know it's probably not a huge thing here, but I can't wait to get my copy of Pandemic Legacy Season 2 next week.

Won't be able to break it out until late November but still, it should be a good time!

38. Tymerend

Tymerend

Just bought it the other day and looking forward to digging in, though the person I'm playing with really wants to play each month during that month. I'm hoping she changes her mind.

39. Tyvan

Tyvan

Love Letter is your cure! ❤️

40. Excelsior

Excelsior

making sure we all know about the buy 2 get 1 free deal on board games at Target and Amazon

41. XShagrath

XShagrath
    Member OP

Pandemic Legacy was huge, and I'm sure we're not the only ones here who have played it. My group is only about halfway through the first season, so we'll probably wait quite a while for the second. One, to not get burnt out, and two, to let the price drop a bit.

42. Bane

Bane

Question for anyone that plays SW Destiny: when it comes to unique weapons do you usually put two in a deck or just one? I'm leaning towards two and just discarding the second if I happen to pull it.

43. Nerdcy

Nerdcy

Thanks everyone. I'll check out your suggestions. Although now that I know there's a pandemic season 2 I might just have to get that! We love pandemic.

44. TheWraith

TheWraith

Did anyone buy Kingdom Death: Monster on kickstarter? I'm currently awaiting my copy to be shipped. Really curious to see how the game will play, and if I will be able to get the miniatures put together.

45. Rolento

Rolento

Anyone getting One Deck Dungeon 1.5 or its new expansion/standalone game?

I want to play it pretty bad, but was hoping CoolStuffInc dosn't even have it listed for stocking (1.5 version).

I'm starting to find alot of titles I want CoolStuff dosn't always carry or list :( I bet there's a good reason for this though.

46. zulux21

zulux21

the game plays much like a roguelike video game :P
    just with you having to keep track of everything lol.

47. Gundam

Gundam

Play Lifeboat if you have a handful of friends. It's a fun time, but might devolve into Mario Party-esque friendship ending if your group is fragile about that stuff.

48. Tymerend

Tymerend

I found it on another site run by a brick and mortar store called The Game Steward, seems they have copies for about twenty bucks and, like most BnMs, offer free shipping on orders over a hundred bucks.

I hadn't heard about it before this, but it looks like a fun concept.

49. Hecht

Hecht
    Even the good stars can fall from grace and falter Administrator

All right, I'll sub! Been slowly playing more and more "advanced" board games (e.g., not stuff like Monopoly, Sorry!, etc.) playing them with my wife and friends if we have them over.

These are pretty much the ones we play for now:
    - Ticket to Ride
    - Catan
    - Machi Koro
    - Splendor

Would love any recommendations for things with similar levels of complexity - while I would probably like stuff like Arkham Horror or Lords of Waterdeep, getting the wife into that would probably not happen :D.

50. Blizzard

Blizzard

Those are pretty much classic gateway games. Lords of Waterdeep is itself a gateway game in that it's a little more complicated but not much.

I MIGHT recommend Dominion if your wife is okay with the level of rules on Machi Koro cards. If that gets you hooked then you can play it for a while and then come back and ask us for expansion recommendations.

If you have gatherings of 6+ friends, Codenames or Codenames Pictures are good choices (not the after dark one or the relicensed Disney etc. ones).