1. The difference however is that Boba Fett doesn't require recasting an icon; you just have to put somebody in the mask.

I loved Solo but recasting that part seems to have really deflated hype, along with releasing this movie too soon after TLJ.

Episode 9 won't hit for another year and a half and it'll do huge numbers (probably more than TLJ) while giving people an opportunity to reset.

That said, I agree that Fett is criminally overrated but I also think James Mangold could do something pretty spectacular with the character.

2. I've only seen the film once but I don't remember it dragging on like that.

Beckett comments that Enfys and the Cloud-Riders have been a thorn in his and Crimson Dawn's side for a while. Like the audience they're expecting a hardened, tough-as-nails pirate and she's just a kid. That's why they're all surprised.

3. They've justified it well enough with the Clone Wars and Rebels arcs, though I can understand why people would feel that way given his exit in TPM.

4. Biggersmaller

Biggersmaller

I enjoyed the film except for when it was decided to lazily change that laid back premise. It broke the original movies in many ways. Solo effectively underwrote the entire Rebel Alliance by gifting a fleet's worth of fuel to the marauders. In later films he then risked murder via Jabba to blow up the Death Star to save the rebel base and sacrificed himself being frozen for a bitch princess who does nothing but complain about how selfish he is. You don't think Han would've reminded people about the expensive as shit Coaxium he risked his life to gift them?

By Ep6 Han should just be like:

[​IMG]

5. Sparky2112

Sparky2112

I'll tell ya, there was a while there where I thought Peter Jackson's house (Weta?) was doing better work than ILM, but holy cow have the effects in these four Star Wars movies been *outstanding*. Just crazy great.

6. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

I liked the movie a lot... but this moment did jump out to me. This is the sort of inconsistency that should have been caught and fixed, if not in the actual scriptwriting process, then in editing. Just egregiously bad.

7. SELIG

SELIG

Oh man, yeah you right. I liked this movie a lot, but yep that's pretty goofy.

8. Duffking

Duffking

RLM's take.

9. Funny Valentine

Funny Valentine
    Banned Member

I agree with RLM's Jay that the obnoxious robot dying made me feel absolutely nothing as the movie acts like it's some big fucking deal.

10. Auros01

Auros01

Between TLJ and Solo, I feel like this is the best stretch of Star Wars films that I've lived through (in terms of release date). I was born after the OT, so they don't count.

PT had some high points but I generally don't consider them to be "quality" films.

I liked TFA and Rogue One (for very different reasons) but I feel like Lucasfilm has hit their stride with the last 2 (any BO disappointments not withstanding). The wait for Episode IX is going to be brutal.

11. Wonderment

Wonderment

They were trying to say that Qi'ra could be absolutely trusted, but not these other clowns. But yeah, if she got caught and they attempted to put binders on her or something, it would be obvious. Either Vos was really not concerned about pissing off an ally and just wanted to send Qi'ra anyway, or it indeed does fall under broken continuity.

12. Yerba_Sutra

Yerba_Sutra

Holy shit this OT title just clicked in my head

Fucking brilliant

13. BossAttack

BossAttack

As I predicted, Mike and Rich enjoyed it, Jay wasn't won over. I loved at how much they shitted on Rogue One and how Solo was a much better film in comparison. I'm stealing that, "Rogue One was written by a football linebacker."

I also agree with Jay's point that L3 seemed in poor taste, as if the movie was mocking social justice movements.

14. LabRat

LabRat

the part about the lando "controversy" was so on point

also i'm glad rich and mike enjoyed the movie

15. Lifejumper

Lifejumper

Have a feeling that Solo is gonna appear in alot of “top .. underrated movies” in the future.

16. TheFireman

TheFireman

I didn't get that out of L3 at all. I thought the "equal rights" line was more a dark criticism of how Star Wars changed from robots just being intelligent tools in ANH to being emotional characters in the movies afterwards. I'd argue that there's more in RLM's own videos mocking social justice movements than there was in Solo, and I say that as a fan of both RLM and the movie.

17. Duffking

Duffking

I definitely agree with them on the cinemagtography, it's like Ron Howard has forgotten how to light a set since doing those terrible Da Vinci Code films.

18. BossAttack

BossAttack

The problem is the movie treats L3's advocacy as a joke, like she's a malfunctioning droid spewing funny, little nonsense. Lando rolls his eyes at her "equal rights" joke, he tells her to get on the ship when she gets upset at the droid combat arena, and nobody else even pays her any mind when she spouts that "nonsense" unless it's to jokingly humor her. It'd be one thing if she spouted that stuff and some character took it to heart, but they all laugh at her. And, we know that Han Solo in later movies treats droids like crap. He never for a second consider C3-P0 to be a person, he treats Threepio like an annoying thing. It's a weird thing to have in a movie.

On a side note, I agree that I've never been a fan of their pot shots at social justice movements especially since it's just a bunch of white guys. For instance, their pseudo-mokcing of Wonder Woman being important for women just made me cringe because they just didn't get it.

19. Sparky2112

Sparky2112

Isn't that just as much on the DP as it is the director?

20. TheFireman

TheFireman

I absolutely agree that it treats her advocacy as a joke, but I felt like it was more dark sci-fi humor than any sort of commentary on the social justice movement.

Some of their pot shots have made me laugh, but a lot of them have been kinda bad or cringey, especially from Mike/Rich. I feel like this comes out much more often in their more improvised shows than in their more scripted stuff, although the TFA review made a lot of dumb arguments.

21. VitalNonsense

VitalNonsense

You know, I saw this over the weekend and I haven't really known what I want to say about it for a while, but I think I figured it out. My overall reaction is mixed but I've got some praise for it where it's due.

In a movie that exists to satisfy check boxes they surprisingly managed to accomplish some things I've been waiting for since they revived it in 2015. And they did it in this movie? That's unexpected. And by that I mean two things: I saw new things, and I saw weird shit.

Diving in a little deeper to the criminal underbelly of the galaxy felt more fresh than anything the other new movies have done so far, even while it was doing so to check boxes we already expected. And I got to see a freaky 9 foot caterpillar lady with a bad sun allergy, and a giant black hole tentacle skull monster with a shitload of eyes, a star destroyer flying through some space tornado shit, and a gang of costumes that dont look anything like the rebels or the empire, and a dirty muddy battlescene that looked nothing like any other battle in these movies. And it was all directly involved in the plot, rather than background decoration. And even when it was just background decoration, it was more weird shit that makes you think, like giant crystal skulls or Therm fucking Scissorpunch. I love this shit so hard.

Like, the movie managed to be both the least creative and most creative new star wars movie at the same time. It delivered for me in ways 2015+ Star Wars hasn't been able to until now. Which is weird considering the plot exists to go down a checklist of tired old expectations in the first place. Isn't that funny?

And the music. The music in this I think had more fun than anything 2015+, too. My girlfriend said some tracks in this movie were too good for the scenes they were in, and I'm inclined to agree. Powell really impressed and gave this movie an energy it couldn't achieve without. Even when he was repeating existing tracks he managed to give them a new energy that made them feel more fresh than when Johnny revisted them in TLJ. I regret doubting Powell.

I want more Ron Howard Star Wars, especially if next time it's not in service of a checklist.

22. Duffking

Duffking

Yeah true. I think it's a collective thing as well though, surely the Director would be able to tell that something's not quite right as well. I looked and it's a different DP to those movies as well, so the same problem with multiple DPs...

23. Einchy

Einchy

Saw this on Twitter and I think this is way some people are saying the movie looks too dark.

I first saw the movie in an AMC and the Proxima was crazy dark and then throughout the movie it had random scenes were it was pretty dark but then I saw it in another theater and that was no longer the case.

24. jstevenson

jstevenson
    Developer at Insomniac Games Verafied

I could totally see that - I've only seen it on Laser IMAX and it's looked great both times

25. janusfilmsfan

janusfilmsfan

Saw it at Alamo and didn't have a problem. I'll say that a lot of scenes also featured some heavy fog. That mixed with the darker lighting I bet gave some folks a problem.

26. Joeytj

Joeytj

Yeah, I'm surprised just how little Lando's whole plot points worked for me, even if I enjoyed L3 and Glover's acting. He was the weakest part of the movie for me. If they would've reworked that just a bit, Solo would've been top 5 for me.

Although I have to see it again to be sure. Only seen it once, at midnight.

27. In what world is Darth Maul forgettable? Him and podracing are 2 of the only things people love about Episode 1 and there are tons of people who said he should've been the main villain for the entire prequel trilogy

28. Sub Level

Sub Level

Social Justice Droid lmao

29. stonemask

stonemask

Loved it, a bit goofy and dumb at times, but still good

30. Bradford Young's incredible style is also pretty underexposed when compared to other directors of photography. So if you have a theater running their projector bulb's on half brightness (as many do to save costs) than you might be missing a lot of detail sadly.

His style is interesting though, and it's been said that his way of lighting scenes is much friendlier to darker skin tones. Most DP's are usually functioning off what looks best for white actors and that is generally what is taught to a lot of people today.

31. BrokenFiction

BrokenFiction

32. golem

golem

I know a few other people in this thread mentioned that it was a dark movie but I thought it looked fine on the liemax 2D projection i saw. Certainly better than their example scenes in the RLM video

33. I'm listening to the RLM review and it's embarrassing that they hate on the cinematography so much. Opinions are one thing... but it's objectively fantastic work from Young.

34. saw it in an AMC Dolby theater, picture looked great to me (and that atmos sound really made the score pop)

35. SELIG

SELIG

so

now to the important bits. hows the band scene rank among all the franchise in universe music performances?

1. Cantina Band - ANH
    2. Lapti Nek - ROTJ
    3. Chicken in the Pot - Solo
    4. Jabba Flow - TFA
    99. Jedi Rocks - ROTJ special edition

36. VitalNonsense

VitalNonsense

I saw it in a local Liemax 2D for $9 matinee. Projector was bright, didn't have any problems seeing.

37. Yams

Yams

I said this earlier in this thread. It’s more than likely dark because the projectionist is bad at their job or not setting the bulb to the proper brightness. It happens all the time at the big chain theaters.

38. Joqu

Joqu

It was super dark when I saw it too, but I knew what to expect. It was a pretty shitty theater chain.

39. I’ve been a SW fan since the beginning and I think the franchise is in the best place it’s ever been.

Some people will try to spin Solo’s soft box office as proof that the brand is losing relevance but I’m relatively certain Episode 9 will end up making more than the TLJ and is pretty much another billion dollar earner.

I just wish Solo was doing better because it’s really good.

40. sphagnum

sphagnum

Both times I saw it (2 different theaters) it was perfectly clear. Only time I thought things looked murky in a bad way were in Proxima's lair.

41. Cinematography is like editing, it's something people love to criticize but you get a sense that most of them have no fucking clue what they are actually talking about.

42. Aurc

Aurc

The more I think about Enfys Nest being some random, magical, badass 15 year old war hero, the more I dislike it. Reveal did nothing for me.

43. Maul is one of the most compelling villains ever put to celluloid, specifically his aesthetic.

He’s basically pure, unadulterated darkness; the ethos of the Sith personified in such as way as there is nothing even remotely humanlike left.

There’s a lot I like about the PT despite their many flaws and Darth Maul sits atop that list and always will.

I just hope his inclusion here pans out in other films down the line.

44. Fuchsia

Fuchsia

I feel this film deserves to be making more money than it is. I seriously can't believe I liked it more than TFA. I had real low expectations going in.

45. SELIG

SELIG

what
    what would have worked better then? grungy alien or something? That'd have been cool.
    I like the reveal as it is. It was kinda jarring, it felt like we were supposed to be shocked and surprised, like am I supposed to know who that is? but it's really just a pause for the cast where it sinks in, this thorn in our side has just been a kid.

46. Most assuredly.

I also think this film will do very well once it hits video.

What I'm really hoping for is that word-of-mouth will give this film some legs.

47. Einchy

Einchy

Enfys Nest being a little kid was great, it's kinda like with the Kylo Ren reveal since you expect some Maul looking fucker but it's just Ben Solo.

48. Given the people involved in this film, I'd say there's zero chance that was the intention.

49. PhaZe 5

PhaZe 5

I sighed audibly when this happened, not so much that she was a child, but because it had to be tied to a rebellion angle. It was just like...ffs, WHY. Corny AF.

50. Agreed.

I also appreciated that she wore the mask of her mother and basically assumed the mantle without outsiders knowing.