1. Ushojax

Ushojax

I’m afraid it’s the old “search your feelings, you know it to be true” thing. Deep down Rey always knew she was abandoned and she eventually she admits it. Her parents were nobodies who simply didn’t care about her.

Thankfully you don’t need to be from a special family to be a hero. That’s the whole message of the movie. Rey, Finn, Holdo, Rose, etc are just people willing to fight for the cause. They don’t need to be part of the Skywalker family to do that. The movie ends by implying that there are other nobodies out there who could become heroes too.

2. It needs to be retconned

3. cdyhybrid

cdyhybrid

Maybe she spends the third film, I dunno, fighting Kylo and the First Order and learning more about the Force through her own exploration of it (with an assist from the Jedi texts).

Her parents being part of her arc only makes sense if they actually serve some purpose within the story. Which neither movie has even hinted at.

4. Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

......Oh no

"Hey kids, fuck the idea that anyone can rise up and be a hero, to be a hero you HAVE to be part of a special bloodline and lineage. IT'S LIKE POETRY, IT HAS TO RHYME!!!"

5. thecouncil

thecouncil

First, TFA tells us Rey is Luke's daughter, then TLJ tells us that Rey is a nobody and now 9 is trying to tell us that Rey's mom is actually somebody very famous: TV's Felicity Porter.

These movies have a real problem with figuring out what direction they want to go in.

6. Einchy

Einchy

Mona said how would Rey know who her parents are and she knows because she knows who her parents. It’s like asking me how I know who my parents are, well, because I know them.

7. SugarNoodles

SugarNoodles

People need to stop implying that people were disappointed by Snoke just because of TFA’s setup. TLJ confirmed word for word in the script that Snoke was responsible for turning Kylo to the dark side and then proceeded to do nothing with the information.

8. The first Force user in history who has been influencing all eventd throughout history. This is done to distract the galaxy from learning there is nothing outside the galaxy and that they're all in the matrix and Zion is about to fall.

9. fantomena

fantomena

That's the one and only thing I found weird about the sequel trilogy. I always thought Star Wars movies was about the Skywalkers.

10. RyanW

RyanW

I do know George had Yoda confirm that Vader was Luke's father in RotJ for the people who didn't believe ESB

11. UltraMagnus

UltraMagnus

Rey has a (drunken, nobody) mom (Keri Russell). Doesn't have a dad. Rey's mom will tell her that when she finds her. Dun dun dun.

She's a virgin birth, like Anakin.

That will be the twist. It's a space opera anyway.

12. BDS

BDS

She's playing Holdo's daughter and Rey's girlfriend. Send tweet

13. MMarston

MMarston

The movie kinda comments on that with Poe expressing how she doesn’t look like what her reputation would suggest. And I’m pretty sure the message there is “I’m commander and I can dress however the hell I want.”

14. ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM
    Member OP

Literally zero chance of that.

The only people who disliked that -- because it was actually the best option for the story -- are a small number of hardcore "fans."

JJ liked The Last Jedi. He liked what Rian did. Not only that but he is the type of guy to see the "backlash" and double down on certain things. So get ready for more Rose.

15. The way Daisy delivered the line "they all be back someday" sounded like Rey was trying to delude herself into keeping hope. Like she knew they left her and weren't ever coming for her.

16. Mona

Mona

So her parents could have been heroes?

17. cdyhybrid

cdyhybrid

I mean, if you consider people who sell their children for drinking money heroes, sure.

18. She is Jyn Erso. Survived the planet blowing up.

19. Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

[​IMG]

And they had to include this for this that didn't get TFA:

Seems like a problem with the SW fanbase. :|

20. This trilogy has had heroes do questionable things to children already

21. UnknownSpirit

UnknownSpirit

I really really really hope that JJ doesn’t change Rey’s origin.

I loved that RJ made her a nobody. Helps reinforce the idea. That anyone can be a hero.

It will annoy me to no end if it’s changed to a “Just Kidding your a Skywalker”

22. SugarNoodles

SugarNoodles

That’s not a character arc; it’s an action sequence.

23. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

I was so disappointed they basically did nothing with Phasma in episode 7 and 8 before killing her off.

24. Cow Mengde

Cow Mengde

That's one way to get people to stop using social media.

25. Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

Those are one and the same though.
    /s

There are so many things they could do for Rey besides focus on her parentage when she as a person has moved past it. The FO is the priority.

26. Rey's aunt?

27. She had one job. Sell toys and it probably worked great.

28. Kyoufu

Kyoufu

I don't know why her looks matter. One of the other admirals was a fish lmao.

29. SugarNoodles

SugarNoodles

I know nothing about what JJ actually thinks, but let’s be clear that there is no world where JJ says “I didn’t like TLJ” and comes out unscathed.

30. Current leader of the Republic.

31. cdyhybrid

cdyhybrid

"Your parents are Skywalkers" isn't a character arc either.

32. When did TFA tell you Rey was Luke’s daughter?

33. Ushojax

Ushojax

Phasma was just another Boba Fett, a goon. She got the treatment that was appropriate.

34. Hydeus

Hydeus

35. H.Cornerstone

H.Cornerstone

Ha, I thought it said Kurt Russell too at first.

36. SugarNoodles

SugarNoodles

That’s really reductive and not worth responding to.

37. Surfinn

Surfinn

This is why we can't have nice things

38. MagicHobo

MagicHobo

Word. If her parents were alive, it would be solely to demonstrate how far she has come. She started in denial in VII, then was still seeking answers (bargaining stage?) at the beginning of VIII. She was still not fully in the acceptance stage by the end of VIII but ready to admit they were nobody. In IX she can demonstrate acceptance/forgiveness and that she can move on. Pretty standard, but a realistic story and a genuine conclusion to her arc. Doesn't necessarily need her parent's to be alive though, it can occur as a vision, as a visit to a grave, or simply by demonstrating through her actions.

39. cdyhybrid

cdyhybrid

K.

40. Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

He knew about the plot of TLJ before it started filming.

41. Laserdisk

Laserdisk

A LADY????
    The internet will love this!

42. Which would be Kylo Ren in the sequel trilogy.

43. PhazonBlonde

PhazonBlonde

I want this SO bad now!

Rian:"Damn I did a pretty great job pissing off incel manchildren."
    JJ:"Hold my beer."

44. SugarNoodles

SugarNoodles

Isn’t it kind of ridiculous to say that she’s moved past it as a person when TLJ took place over like 72 hours and it didn’t even get wrapped up? What does she do or say to actually indicate that she’s moved past it?

45. HarryDemeanor

HarryDemeanor

Just like when Obi-Wan told Luke that Darth Vader killed his father.

What a twist!

46. Crossing Eden

Crossing Eden

[​IMG]

I too remember when they retconned Darth Vader being Luke's father instead of specifically including a scene that confirmed it for the disbelievers.

47. Is he trolling?

48. ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM
    Member OP

Well, we know because he said it.

If you're going to then say, "He might be lying," you're just building your own narrative.

He was also aware of what Rian was going to do before he did it. If JJ had an issue with what Rian did, he wouldn't come back to the franchise to "clean up" after. He's above that point in his career.

49. MMaRsu

MMaRsu

Damnit somehow I read Kurt Russel haha.

50. Surfinn

Surfinn

Lol the internet would fucking burn, I almost want it for the man tears