1. Royalan

Royalan
    Buy Bionic. Please. Moderator

I second this.

2. DigitalOp

DigitalOp

IDK Royalan, I understand that you all only have so much say in how the site runs, but it think we have serious concerns with moderation for open racists. Slaps on the wrists don't seem like enough.

3. Beefy

Beefy
    Community Resettler Member

4. DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Prime example.

BDS talking real

5. Royalan

Royalan
    Buy Bionic. Please. Moderator

Can you point me to an open racist that hasn't been actioned?

6. RedHoodedOwl

RedHoodedOwl

Hi, guys.

7. Skittles

Skittles

The hypocrisy of saying they want open, transparent moderation. Yet lock any thread that calls moderation into question is some laughable shit

8. Paganmoon

Paganmoon

Loosing someone like LionPride and not the trolls that baited him is fucking bullshit. I get that it's voluntary, but I totally understand it. Personally I seem more of a problem with the veiled racists, that say shit that could be taken as racist, but they don't go all the way, and they don't respond for clarification, that shit is infuriating. Prime example is that guy with the Dead Snow avatar (the zombie nazi one).

9. DigitalOp

DigitalOp

It not necessarily the lack of action. It's just the policy procedure. Where do things stand?

Is Racism no tolerance? It's def not a one and done infraction.

I've noticed trolls take their 3 day bans and comeback with the same behavior. I just think there needs to be a discussion of what is considered a primary offense.

Also I ain't talking bout no dumb movie threads, you can find this stuff in virtually any police brutality thread or any study thread that has a racial subject.

10. Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING
    Banned Member

Done

11. Ketkat

Ketkat

I know I'm not really apart of this community, but a lot of the moderation actions that are taken don't really make sense with the level of severity that they actually are. I'm sure that you have a much clearer perspective on that than me, as a user, of how many people are getting actioned and for what, but some of it just doesn't make sense from my perspective. Transphobia is a week pretty much every time and treated pretty severely, which I'm happy for as someone who is trans. A lot of trans related issues are still new to people, so while I hate seeing that kind of stuff on the site, its a little more understandable than people who are being racist. Yet, people who are racist can get away with a 3 day ban. I'm not saying that either should be tolerated here, but the fact that 2 different bigoted issues can be treated that way is kind of strange.

I get that there are differing levels of racism, and bigoted statements in general. Like, someone saying a racist joke vs someone saying something a lot more malicious, but even as someone who is white, I've noticed the slaps on the wrist for a lot of racism and I've been confused on it. I understand that your goal is to educate these people with these bans so that they become better people and more useful members of the forum, but with the way that moderation is going on some of these subjects, you're essentially forcing that onto the users of the site to take care of it. By having these ban lengths be so small, you're catering to the groups that are causing it to be a major pain to be here on the site instead of the users who are actually affected by those comments.

And that's really the part that you guys should be concerned with as moderators. If the minority communities on this site are slowly posting less and less here and staying more in the discords, you need to ask yourself why that is, and if its anything you can do to help resolve that. I lurk this thread from time to time when a particularly bad race thread comes up, and none of these complaints are new from the users in here. They've been talking about this for a long time, and that's what's frustrating about this whole situation.

12. DigitalOp

DigitalOp

Excellent thread, very well written and great examples.

Let us see what happens

13. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP

This post nailed quite a bit of the frustrations we are constantly talking about. That minefield out on the boards is something that people are kind of just sick of dealing with. I see other minority threads here becoming complete ghost towns. And we were all in it together. Hammer out that problem.

14. gblues

gblues

There needs to be a better way to have a discussion about moderation policies.

A PM discussion doesn’t cut it—it’s an anti-union tactic that favors the moderators because people aren’t able to see what others are saying.

At the same time, an open thread doesn’t work either. It turns into a gripe fest and it becomes impossible for mods to hold a meaningful conversation. So I understand why such threads are locked, although I hope they don’t get the OP flagged/punished.

What we need is a subforum that anyone can create topics in, and the only people who can post freely in it are the OP, the mods, and users explicitly given posting rights by a mod (a digital “give the floor” so to speak.

Not only would this make the grievance process more transparent, but make it easier for mods to field the question universally instead of having the same PM conversation over and over again.

15. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP

This is a great idea. Can we push this up the chain?

16. Akira86

Akira86

good pull, I had been looking for a way to describe it, and I always ended up at a law enforcement example, which of course would be no-go with the mods. but framing it like issues between labor and management fits very well. Pulling single workers off to the side to have a chat about collective issues is exactly what.

17. D65

D65

Saw this on my way home.

[​IMG]

Made me look twice.

18. Beefy

Beefy
    Community Resettler Member

I reckon we should arm wrestle to see who becomes the Kilgrave of BCC

19. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP

You would lose. Your heart's too big for that position.

20. Where’s that at

21. Shy

Shy
    Banned Member

You're Avatar is killing me, DIZ.
    Evening.
    [​IMG]
    "THIS SITE IS GOING TO HAVE AN OPEN AND TRANSPARENT MODERATION POLICY"

22. malyse

malyse
    Community Resetter Member

I would advertise Kingdom Hearts III as the most ambitious crossover since Avengers Infinity War.

23. Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING
    Banned Member

I thought this is what we were going to get when we came to Era, TBQH.

24. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP

25. You become the monster in the end

26. Professor Beef

Professor Beef
    I wish Tales of Graces F was a better game Moderator

I keep getting Transistor confused with Invisible, Inc

27. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP

Both good games. Transistor is better tho.

28. MegaMan

MegaMan

Agreed, it's even worse when you have posters who aren't openly racist/trolling in every other post being banned for for longer periods of time for less offensive behavior, it makes absolutely no sense.

29. Paganmoon

Paganmoon

I don't get it. Ayran is a yoghurt drink from Turkey, what's the significance?

Edit: ooh Aryan?

30. Akira86

Akira86

I know he had to go that far to get cell signal. but a tiny part of my mind is like, dude freaked the fuck out and just started peddling.

31. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP

32. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP

33. Shy

Shy
    Banned Member

Bloody hell.

34. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP

Shit is real in these halls. I'm home schooling the fuck out of every kid that falls under my wing.
    And I came up in Raider jacket wearing L.A gangbang territory. This shit is too unpredictable.

35. Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING
    Banned Member

If my (step)dad had followed the advice of that tweet, my parents wouldn't be married for 33 years this June.

36. Core

Core

Man it's crazy how I was told to keep trying too, this kind of thing needs to stop.

37. Shy

Shy
    Banned Member

Forgot to reply to this earlier.

This place is also a ghost town. When you realise that the off-site people outnumber the genuine posters in this thread.

38. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP

I'll keep it 100. Most of our predecessors got by on some rapey ass shit. I've had to check dudes my own age for doing the same thing and still getting the lady after the fact. Two fold problem. We can't change what has already been done. But we can educate our boys and girls to not be degenerates or believe less of themselves in the future.

I think we're doing ok all things considered. This could have all fallen apart, but a few individuals worked kinda hard to make this happen for us. I'm talking about BCT members that don't post, but got us a place here. And groups exist in other places. We don't die, we multiply.

39. sooperkool

sooperkool

I have been in one online community or another since well, the 80's. One thing that always seems to happen is that people become far too attached to online "spaces". This place is somewhere to go and something to do on occasion but its not real. It's not your home and these caricatures or people that inhabit it are most rimes just that, facsimiles of people and projected images of various "personalities".

This "place" isn't important, life is and if this place means more than that to ny of you then you have a far more serious problem. I don't say this to mean to take these things said in here lightly or to ignore them at all. This place can be a valuable lens into a small, never forget that its small,; but a small potion of society.

I said all that to say this, don't be afraid to leave here or any other online "space" and create a new one, that's the beauty of online communication. no one place truly has more value than any other. To all those that choose to leave, you'll be missed but I understand. Those that choose to satay and fight or even to abstain, you will be loved as much as those that go. Never forget, we, are "the other" no matter what rade, color or creed we belong to or claim to be. "They", made us this way embrace it and use the power that being an outsider gives us. Wakanda Forever.

40. Kotto

Kotto

I hate to keep the conversation going, but felt like I should add my two pennies as well.

As others said, its less about the action and more about the severity of punishment. A handful of regulars here and other minority communities would get a week ban or more for being too hostile or aggressive and had repeated warnings. But the closet racist posters who slip up and say some fucked up shit or get caught antagonizing others multiple times rarely get severe punishment when they are the ones holding the site back. Sometimes they take a few others with them because they riled them up with dog whistles or any other tactic to be as subtle as possible.

It is posts like these that make me and others think there isn't enough being done. Two week ban for his nonsense when others in this community have done much less and gotten a punishment just as bad or worse. There are plenty of other examples that can be seen in the typical cop thread where someone has colorful language and you compare it to a ban from a community member and the post they made is less offensive, if at all, and isn't trying to troll anyone or have an agenda behind it.

41. Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING
    Banned Member

WOW at that post!

I remember seeing it before but blocked it out of my memory.

42. Shy

Shy
    Banned Member

TWO WEEKS ?!?!?! TWO MOTHERFUCKING WEEKS FOR THAT ? FUCK THIS PLACE.

43. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP

I took a short walk after that one. Got some air and texted some folks about nicer things to get my mind off it before I went back to working on my project.

44. Akira86

Akira86

he claims to be a black guy.

wew lad. lord may we never cross paths, for there would be an incident.

45. Shy

Shy
    Banned Member

I (almost) got 3 weeks for calling out the moderation policy of this place. Which that racist post, and handling of it. Proved my point.

46. gblues

gblues

Hey speaking of positive things! It kind of flew past over the weekend but D i Z I saw those drawings you posted and they look really cool. Thanks for sharing them.

47. Phoenix RISING

Phoenix RISING
    Banned Member

I'll say this. If I were single, I would be extremely be confused by dating culture right now. Mixed signals everywhere.

I have one daughter and two sons, the oldest being 12, so it's gonna start happening soon. The only advice I've given thus far is that they should demand that if someone is into them, they get calls rather than texts, because anyone can send you texts. Calls--and even better, actual quality time--will eliminate the fakers.

48. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP

Hey, thanks man. It's all old work, but I'm starting to take commissions again and pulling myself out of retirement. I'm feeling not so negative about doing this again, so I dunno. Might go somewhere past gallery work this time.

49. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP

I find that this approach has value.

50. D i Z

D i Z
    Member OP