1. Havok

Havok

Wow I was real excited for a minute or two. They have three other versions of this game that they could have ported from. Of course they went with the cheapest and least consumer-friendly version instead.

2. ampere

ampere

It looks even worse in motion

3. Professor Beef

Professor Beef
    I wish Tales of Graces F was a better game Moderator

Lmao @ using the mobile port. Expected but still disappointing.

Will stick to my DS version.

4. Meowster

Meowster

Is the soundtrack really updated?

5. Wookieomg

Wookieomg

*sees thread saying CT is on Steam*
    *confusion ensues*
    *realizes it's legit*
    *internally screams with delight*
    *realizes it's mobile port with shit-tier vaseline filter*

fuck everything.

6. Conkerkid11

Conkerkid11

Okay, so the tiles aren't supposed to look like that then? Alright, definitely refunding.

Even ignoring the filter, none of the tiles on the ground anywhere, or trees, etc... Match up. It's insane.

7. It does, but we're too busy complaining about them not releasing more mobile ports, but also, that they keep releasing mobile ports.

8. iFirez

iFirez

I recently replayed the SNES version by putting it onto my SNES mini - it looked incredible. The screenshots and stream I just watched of this Steam version look atrocious.

9. Vareon

Vareon

The entire map had tiling errors. Like, you need to make an effort to not care about this when porting a game.

10. Ghost

Ghost

Ah yes. The Unholy Square Enix Port Trinity.

The Father
    [​IMG]

The Son
    [​IMG]

The Unholy Ghost
    [​IMG]

11. Dreamboum

Dreamboum

It just sounds like it's lifted from the original soundtrack album rather than the SNES OSV. By updated they meant 22 years ago

12. Turtleboats

Turtleboats

My excitement just went to anger.

13. StereoVSN

StereoVSN

Yeah, so this runs at 10-15 FPS, keeps the mobile overlay and substandard fonts, and has the terrible filtering applied.

14. DarkConfidant

DarkConfidant

Quality post.

I do believe it was joke. I'm sure Bob Makey of all people owns at least one copy of the game. :\

15. Pilgrimzero

Pilgrimzero

Prelude to a true Chrono Trigger sequel announcement. Believe.

16. GhostTrick

GhostTrick

Yeah no, it runs at 60fps. But yeah, it has the mobile overlay and filtering. If these are modded, this'll be the best version.

17. PensivePen

PensivePen

The tiles have always been like this, but the bad filtering makes it extremely obvious where the seams in them are. It's much harder to tell if you're playing the original game with none of the filtering applied, and even harder to spot them playing it on a CRT on genuine hardware.

18. dan2026

dan2026

Who ported this?
    Do we know?

19. Stairouais

Stairouais

How are they fucking up every fucking time?

20. number8888

number8888

Caught some of the battle footage. What a mess. I'm out.

21. Byvar

Byvar

From the stream it sounds like the soundtrack hasn't been touched at all, contrary to what is stated in the press release. Perhaps a slight upgrade in sample quality, but I can't really hear any difference. Weird.

22. Dark3nergy

Dark3nergy

[​IMG]

These and the other CT screenshots all look awful... when will fans ever get the original games in their unaltered state??? SMH

23. Antitype

Antitype

This looks awful, that filtering is a disaster and naturally they had to go with the mobile UI. I'll stick to the DS version.

24. Agni Kai

Agni Kai

What the hell did they do to this game. It's my favorite game ever. I got so happy when I saw it on Steam and then I see all of the screenshots. That mobile overlay just killed me.

25. Rektash

Rektash

Probably some poor schmuck intern who got paid a pittance. Because they obviously had no budget for anything else.

26. Kientin

Kientin

Ugh. I really want them to release FFT on Steam, but then I see this and I think I don't want them to release FFT on Steam. At least it's not a remake in the style of FFV and FFVI.

27. Aselith

Aselith

Any bad news with it?

28. HockeyBird

HockeyBird

Well there's the Wii VC versions of all those games...while they last.

29. I knew something was fishy when this got suddenly announced.

I guess I’ll get the Wii VC version instead.

30. Syril

Syril

BRB playing the Genesis and NeoGeo games I bought that are ROMs in an emulator.

31. headspawn

headspawn

Just refunded this super-eagle-sorta misaligned tile cellphone mess.

Not at that price.

Also, good question coming up for Square.... why?

32. DarkConfidant

DarkConfidant

Was the DS version altered? Haven't played it yet, though I bought it last year.

33. Dark3nergy

Dark3nergy

VC, the idea behind this is great. While I love that this service exists, if anything where to happen to my Wii and if the store stopped allowing me to re-download that media. I would be straight up boned at that point.

Sadly, as others have echoed prior to this post, I will stick to my CIB CT and DS port of it. One day, I would love to just wrap my arms around this title on other media, just so long that I know I can always keep it.

34. dan2026

dan2026

Aren't there good upscaling filters like Waifu2x?
    What on earth did they even use for this?

And not making it a toggle is mind blowing.

35. PepsimanVsJoe

PepsimanVsJoe

Oh really? I saw one or two Steam reviews mention that they lost their saves, but I didn't know that it corrupts itself over time.
    I got as far as the Cultist's Tower (which I couldn't finish because the boss-fight would soft lock) so I gave up and wrote a review.

S-E needs to be taken to task for these ridiculously lazy and awful ports.

36. Jonneh

Jonneh
    GameXplain Moderator

The sad thing is, Europe only received their first localisation of Chrono Trigger 9 years ago - being the wonderful DS port. That's certainly a great way to introduce this masterful RPG to a new audience but everything since then has been extremely poor. This is one of the most celebrated games of all time and it hardly has a presence outside of American and Japan. They even charged us 900 Wii points for the luxury of playing it on Virtual Console, and that's an awkward number!

37. Gabora

Gabora

No, the DS version is, while some will disagree, as good as the SNES version.

38. Ruruja

Ruruja

I really hate this filter and it boggles my mind how people like it.

I'll probably get the game on sale, but it's so annoying to look at.

39. Razorrin

Razorrin

I'll make it clear where I stand, I will Always appreciate these games getting new life on newer devices, I just wish it wasn't Almost Always a Compromise on quality.

like, I'm glad they put the DS content in there, but why are there immediately (not in my case, I'll admit) obvious tileing errors? I almost want to say stuff like this is a management issue, where they keep fudging with the process until they ship something incomplete, because I don't think any company with at least mild success in porting would just miss this.

I'm not even mad at the tileing at this point, I just feel like looking into the circumstances that lead to the port!

40. Negator

Negator

Square Enix is the Monkey Paw of game developers. They cant do anything with their classic games without massively fucking it up.

41. Samsquanchewans

Samsquanchewans
    User Permed at their request Member

Been playing for half an hour, can confirm its the Android/iOS version

42. Bravo fantastic post seriously SE your embarrassing yourself get it together you want all the money? then do it the right way................ like like this trash.

43. GHG

GHG

How do you fuck this up so badly?

I screamed in excitement when I saw the thread title and was ready to pull my wallet out. They can fuck off with this shit.

44. Kromeo

Kromeo

What's this Kemco FFV tribute

45. Rektash

Rektash

The DS version is great ... if played patched on an emulator with the soundtrack replaced.

46. Conkerkid11

Conkerkid11

[​IMG]

47. dan2026

dan2026

Does Square have an English customer support email or Twitter we can complain to?

Probably won't do a lot but worth a try.

48. henlo_birb

henlo_birb

I'll stick to my Super Nt :^)

49. Fou-Lu

Fou-Lu

I thought I could look past a bad filter, but the tiling issues are too much. This might be my first refund on Steam.

50. Seiru

Seiru

Thanks for giving my favorite game such garbage treatment, Square.