1. GoldStarz

GoldStarz

Pretty sure 16 is as old as they're gonna let you get. I mean, they even retconned Hilda and Hilbert ages back two years when B2W2 rolled around so that they were 14 instead of 16 (even though they're still the older-looking protagonists to date)

2. So let's do a shout out to a fellow Era user for a second.

Koren

This member has been incredible to me. They have spent at least a solid two or three hours just helping me transfer items and mega stones over to Ultramoon from my Sun version. And this is after set backs like disconnection bans. They have never asked for anything in return and been an all around pleasant person.

If any of you ever can help Koren out please do, Koren absolutely deserves any good will that you can throw out.
    What an great person. 10 out of 10 for sure.

3. Joey Ravn

Joey Ravn

I totally get why they would want to keep the ages of the protagonists as close as possible to that of the intended demographic of the games.

... though it would be a nice addition if they let you choose between several different preset characters, ranging from 10 to, say, 16 or so. I don't see any reason why they couldn't do it these days. It's not like they're limited by the hardware they are running their games or anything.

4. meloa

meloa

My emulator won't allow it :/

5. meloa

meloa

XY's protagonists were the oldest ones I think, the dialogue of Shauna, Tierno, and Trevor implies that they're above 17.

6. Blade24070

Blade24070

I randomly thought about the fact that Gamefreak gave Fire another freaking resistance with Fairy instead of giving that resistance to, I dunno, GRASS???? Even Ice would’ve been better.

7. SaviourMK2

SaviourMK2

For players of the Pokemon TCG. Gamestop has Guardians Rising Elite trainer boxes on sale for $12

8. Oh man I've got a friend who will be super stoked about that.

9. SaviourMK2

SaviourMK2

If you can find them. I'm driving nearly a half hour to pick up 4 at a gamestop in the morning (I got them on hold). I don't NEED 4, but they're gonna be nice christmas gifts.

10. Lusamine

Lusamine

dat Osaka ambassadorship

11. Grapezard

Grapezard

What's your favorite type, y'all?

Gotta go with flying. Swellow was the first Pokemon card I'd ever owned and I was all about the Pokebirds ever since.

12. Professor Beef

Professor Beef
    I wish Tales of Graces F was a better game Moderator

Water = the GOAT

All of Ice's positives with none of the weaknesses.

13. GoldStarz

GoldStarz

I'm pretty sure they were 16, but yeah, they are (technically) the oldest protagonists yet.

They still need to dial it back with the water types though, when you've made more of a type than one that is literally called "Normal", you've maybe oversaturated the market just a little bit. Also, GameFreak needs to realize that just because it can live in water, doesn't mean it has to be water type (ie Stunfisk)

14. Professor Beef

Professor Beef
    I wish Tales of Graces F was a better game Moderator

Counterpoint, I think we need MORE Water types.

15. BlackJace

BlackJace

Can people with US/UM battle people with vanilla SM?

EDIT: Nvm the answer is yes lol

16. Xita

Xita

Goddamn right we do.

17. SaviourMK2

SaviourMK2

Electric types for me.

18. winstein

winstein

I prefer Ghost-types. The main reason for liking them is due to how rare they were even back in the day of the first Generation, and how every new Ghost-type is guaranteed a unique and fun design for each passing Generation. In this very type itself, you have: a banshee, a goblin, a jellyfish, an owl, a coffin, a chandelier, a doll, a Grim Reaper-lookalike, a sword and some other varied inspirations. While the award for rarest type is currently the Ice-type (Ghost outpaced it now), I don't feel that their varied designs are to my liking, except for a few.

I am pleased to find out that Ghost is one of the better types in battling, mainly because of having few weaknesses and it's got a recent improvement where it now has better neutral coverage than Dragon, on account that it has two super-effective targets and the two types that resist/negate it don't have many resistances themselves, unlike Dragon. Only drawbacks are that most Ghost-types aren't built for battling so you won't find so many good Ghost-types, along with how most of Ghost's attacks aren't powerful.

Thank you for reading.

19. spiritfox

spiritfox

Bugs have Galvantula and Volcarona and Scizor and Vikavolt and Golisopod amongst others.

Too bad Flygon isn't a bug, but it's an honorary bug type to me.

20. Vylash

Vylash

Fairy for me, breaking a salamence in half with a clefable is a feeling i can't describe

21. Steel, for my boy Metagross alone.

Shout outs to Scizor, Skarmory, Aegislash, Heatran, Celesteela and Stakataka.

22. Halfling

Halfling

I feel like I just need to pop in to say how amazing the music in Ultra Jungle is.

23. Koren

Koren

It would probabky be my pick, too, for similar reasons. So many interesting designs.

My Sun run was for the first time a monotype one (Mimikyu, Palossand, Dhelmise, Lampent, Aegislash and Sableye IIRC) and I've had a blast with it. Though to be honest, Mimikyu is uber in storymode, so it was really a breeze.

24. meloa

meloa

Psychic for me. Loads of them just look appealing to me

25. Datajoy

Datajoy

I think Pokemon Venus and Pokemon Mars would be good names for the gen 8 games on Switch.

26. GoldStarz

GoldStarz

You mean Pokemon Mars and Pokemon Jupiter.
    Pokemon Saturn is the third version.

27. parasols

parasols

How do y'all say X-Scissor? Cross Scissor or Ex Scissor?
    How does the English language anime say it?
    Have any of the English language games revealed it by including text like "...a/an X-Scissor..."?
    "Cross Scissor" is 13 characters. They should've made the move in X/Y, like with Thunder Punch losing the CamelCase.
    Scissor Cross sounds even better, though...

28. It *should* be Cross-Scissor I believe, but I pronounce it like the letter.

29. N75

N75

The games and anime have pronounced it as "X-Scissor"

Which is weird because Cross Poison was introduced in the same generation and they kept it the same as the Japanese version.

30. parasols

parasols

How did the games say/imply Ex Scissor, tho? Do you recall?

I suppose move names had a character limit of 12 in Diamond/Pearl. That would explain Cross Poison staying, but them having to get trendy with X-Scissor.

31. Mewn

Mewn

Ghost. Great designs, love the spooky theme. Favourite Pokemon is a Ghost-type.

Ice is probably a close second.

32. Blade24070

Blade24070

Grass, even with Gamefreak doing their best to shit on it since day 1.

Runners up would be Water and Ghost, although I like so many Pokémon from all types.

33. Mr-Joker

Mr-Joker

Funny that you say that as Stunfisk was originally going to be a Water/Electric type before Game Freak changed it.

34. Joey Ravn

Joey Ravn

35. Ghost_Messiah

Ghost_Messiah

Okay guys, so recently getting back in to Pokemon after falling in love with Fire Red. Bought this haul today:

Pokemon Heart Gold
    Pokemon Pearl (wanted Platinum, but they were out of stock so settled for Pearl)
    Shiny New Nintendo 3DS XL SNES Edition, thank God for backwards compatibility

Also bought Golden Sun: Dark Dawn given I loved the GBA entries, but obviously that's not relevant.

I was this close to getting Pokemon Sun but decided against it for the time being, because I wanted to give Heart Gold/Pearl a spin first. So my question: where do I go from here? Should I keep buying the games in ascending order (so Black/White 1 and 2 and then shift to the 3D entries) or is Sun/Moon a must-have that I should play now?

Pokemon Gold/Silver (GBC) are in my top 10 games of all-time, so I can't wait to get in to Heart Gold. Thoughts?

36. Arcia

Arcia

Well first of all I hope you didn’t accidentally get any bootlegs, they are sadly common for some of the older Pokemon games. Also too bad you couldn’t get Platinum, it really does improve on Diamond and Pearl in every way to the point of making them irrelevant. However, you also got Heart Gold and that is one of the most polished, feature rich games Game Freak has ever made so you should be happy!

As for the other games, Black/White 1 and 2 are great games with some of the best story in Pokemon and you should definitely play both eventually, especially since 2 is an actual sequel and not an improved version. Pokemon X and Y are a little weaker than the other games plotwise, but they are still good and if you are already invested in trying them all you might as well get one of those. Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire are about equal with X and Y, they are good games but not nearly as good as Heart Gold and Soul Silver were at being quality remakes. Sun and Moon are much better games than X and Y and Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire though so I kind of reccommend you jump to the current generation games first to experience the best of the 3D pokemon games. I haven’t played Ultra Sun/Moon yet but I hear they add to the base games like Platinum did for Diamond and Pearl, so you might want to get those instead.

Edit: also Dark Dawn was fun, I wish they made a sequel to it

37. Ghost_Messiah

Ghost_Messiah

Woah, thank you for the lengthy and insightful response! Didn't expect that, was a lovely surprise to see. This place truly has the heart of the old forum and it shines through in your reply. Based on your post I'm going to swap Pearl for Platinum and hold out if it's a better game and also re-think snapping up Sun asap, if it's as astounding as you say. I was going to specifically ask about the Omega/Alpha remakes so you read my mind and answered that intended question too. It's awesome to see such a comprehensive run-down of the games. I think I know where to go from here now.

I'm also excited to try out Black/White 1 and 2 if you say they're that good. I have so many years of Pokemon to catch up on. I'll play Heart Gold, hopefully have a good time, and report back with impressions.

EDIT: Loved and I mean loved the duo of Golden Sun games on the GBA. Excited to play the third entry and would also love a sequel.

38. Arcia

Arcia

Glad you could still get Platinum! I didn’t mention it before, but Diamond and Pearl actually had a lot of issues like incredibly slow battle speed and really thin and lackluster Pokemon distribution, (for example there were only two fire types in the game, the starters line and Rapidash) and this made certain fights like gym leaders and the Elite Four really bad because they didn’t even have enough pokemon of the type they used to make a full team without using other types. This was all fixed in Platinum.

Hope you enjoy the games you got! Just be careful about Pokemon burnout.

39. spiritfox

spiritfox

Nobody should play Diamond or Pearl when they can get Platinum. Those games were really dragged down by their slowness both in battles and in surfing.

40. SaviourMK2

SaviourMK2

I'm so tapped out from Gamestop. in the last 3 days I've bought:
    2x Guardians Rising Elite Trainer Box
    1x Decidueye collection box
    1x Incineroar collection box
    1x Primarina collection box
    4x Bewear collection box
    10x single blister packs
    1x Beedrill EX collection
    1x Shining Legends Super Premium collection
    2x Mega Powers collection
    1x Mimikyu box
    1x Tapu Koko figure collection

All for Christmas when my GF and I do our annual pack opening fest. This wouldnt be possible if not for the sales

For me it's the awful Pokemon selection. No fire types, and no electric types (I cant justify Shinx as one until he's late leveling up)

41. winstein

winstein

On USGamer, there is an article from Kat Bailey regarding what Pokemon game a newcomer should start with. The conclusion? The newest game in the series. This means that, assuming they are getting into Pokemon at this time of the year, the answer is either Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon, or perhaps back in 2011, Black or White. Reason being: "It's the easiest way to maximize your enjoyment while connecting with the community at large." That's not to say that they should not go take a look at older games, since those games are also readily available through the Virtual Console, with the bonus of being able to connect to Pokemon Bank to be used with the latest games.

I think that's reasonable advice. Usually when someone asks a Pokemon game they started with, the answers tend to be the game they found to be their favourite, but it's not always practical to follow since some games aren't commonly made, and moreover, finding someone else with the same game is not an easy task.

Do any of you agree with this assessment?

Thank you for reading.

42. Mr-Joker

Mr-Joker

The majority of the Pokémon fanbase would agree with her as not only are the latest release are streamed line for new comers but like you said it's the perfect way for them to join in the social aspect of the series, something that a lot of folks forget as gen 1-5 are now strictly solo player only and anyone recommending the original gen 1 games as someone first is someone who is blinded by nostalgic or has never played beyond gen 1.

I always recommend new comers to play the latest series in the game and only dip into the older titles if they like what they played as hunting down the older titles is an expensive task and tricky when you get to gen 3 as you would want to avoid getting fakes copies, none of that is worth it if the person ends up not liking the game.

43. MetalLord

MetalLord

What the fuck is this ?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

44. N75

N75

Some downloadable 3DS game that was used to promote the Diancie movie in Japan.

45. La Leganto

La Leganto

Anyone knows if we have EVs 100% hotspot areas in USUM?

46. Firestorm

Firestorm

Agree 100% with her. Pokémon games play extremely similarly. Moreso than any other annual franchise save sports games. If you try and play every generation in a row you will burn out of the series. After reliving your nostalgia with HGSS I'd say move straight to Ultra Sun or Ultra Moon.

47. Koren

Koren

I'd argue that if you're interesting in collecting them, the previous gen may be interesting (basically, you can get virtually everything in previous gen, and you have a proper National Dex)... And I still think Dexnav is better than current device.

But beside this small detail, I agree, the last pokemon is usually the best entry point.

48. Birdie

Birdie

I love Fighting Types.

Medivham, Hariyama, and Sawk especially.

49. winstein

winstein

I remembered back in Generation 5, where there were some people who argued that the new Pokemon (Unova ones) looked like Digimon. I have no idea what that meant, but I didn't like what I read because they mostly sounded like an insult when that was mentioned about the new Pokemon. Nowadays there doesn't seem to be that kind of comments, so I guess almost nobody thinks of that. Could anybody enlighten me on how the newer Pokemon look like Digimon, or is such a comment ultimately baseless?

Thank you for reading.

50. Xita

Xita

I still see this comment all the time, especially when Mega Evolutions were introduced.

I’m not familiar with Digimon, so I’m not sure why it’s a common comment/complaint.