1. jbug617

jbug617
    Member OP

2. BadWolf

BadWolf

Awesome, I was worried since they lost so much money last time.

3. JustinH

JustinH

I had the same thought. I wonder if entry is still going to be free.

4. Aizō

Aizō

Great city. That's awesome.

5. lvl 99 Pixel

lvl 99 Pixel

Is Nintendo still blocking people from esports licenses in Japan? Its going to be weird with the new game being so huge but also blocked from having a prize pool

6. MarkMan

MarkMan

Hello. This is my event. I hope some resetera ppl head over to it! It'll be fun! :D

7. Arthoneceron

Arthoneceron

Wait, is that a thing?

8. MistaTwo

MistaTwo
    SNK Gaming Division Studio 1 Verafied

Nice! Great to see an event in Fukuoka as well. Absolutely amazing city.

9. Eatin' Olives

Eatin' Olives

Where was it before?

10. Giga Man

Giga Man

Entry was FREE?!

11. Kyora90

Kyora90

You can't gamble in Japan, and fighting game tournaments are considered gambling there, so you can't bet money on it by paying the entry.

12. Rice Eater

Rice Eater

That's true, but what I still don't understand is that they also couldn't charge a venue fee either. I think it was explained that they could only deliver the pay outs that they did because it was completely free to enter with no fee of any kind. All people had to do was sign up.

So that one is still a mystery to me.

13. lvl 99 Pixel

lvl 99 Pixel

Yep. No idea how it works with international players either.

14. Haven't heard about them actually blocking esports licenses, just that they don't add to the pot. You have a source?

15. Rice Eater

Rice Eater

Capcom is throwing a big SFV toruney at TGS. It's apart of the Capcom Pro Tour as a Premier event, but it has a much larger prize than any other Premier event(90k vs 15k).

If a amateur Japanese player or foreigner finishes in the top 8(in the money) then they will be granted a JESU pro license and able to accept the prize from that tournament. So no one is locked out. I assume EVO will probably do the same if companies get involved over there and I'm pretty sure they will.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/sfv/esports/cptjp2018/en/

16. BAN PUNCHER

BAN PUNCHER

17. lvl 99 Pixel

lvl 99 Pixel

Imagine getting your worst possible bracket and finishing just outside top8 to be told you're not good enough

18. Omar310

Omar310

You should have teched the throw, bro

19. Salty Rice

Salty Rice

Nice to hear that its coming back. Wasnt so sure before.

20. Thank god. I was sure it was doomed

21. chirt

chirt

Cool city, used to live there. Wish I could make it to evo but I'll be in Tokyo later in the year. Can't afford two Japan trips.

22. Any other Fukuoka-folks here? I'm not particularly into fighting games, but I'll probably try to check out the event.

23. So you gonna clarify where you heard about the blocking thing from or...

24. Kewlmyc

Kewlmyc

Hope CUP NOODLE is a thing again this year.

25. Vinnk

Vinnk

Nice! I live near Fukuoka. I usually have to go to Tokyo for any gaming events.

26. DoubleTake

DoubleTake

Youre actually on this site? Respect. Looking forward to the 2nd of many!

27. lvl 99 Pixel

lvl 99 Pixel

you could highlight my post, right click it and search. I shouldn't have to do this for you but that's the first result.

"That means that pro Street Fighter, Tekken and Puyo Puyo Tetris players can finally win some money. But Nintendo of Japan has blocked Smash Bros. from being a part of this program."

28. Lurkyseas

Lurkyseas

Good to see that it's alive! Hopefully they'll make a good profit there.

29. Mark H

Mark H

That doesn't sound like a very good source, just ESPN interviewer extrapolating his views on the situation.
    From what I've seen and read of the Japanese esports pro licensing, it's more that the software manufacturers put their hands up to say they want their games to be a part of it, and Nintendo just hasn't done that with their software (so it's not about actively "blocking" anything).

30. lvl 99 Pixel

lvl 99 Pixel

hmm, maybe not directly blocked rather not authorizing it then, but Sakurai seems pretty certain of it in the WaPo Interview: “The philosophy behind them doesn’t go in line with Nintendo’s philosophy in that some of these players are playing for the prize money,” Sakurai said. “It comes to a point where they’re playing the game for the money, and I feel that kind of direction doesn’t coincide with Nintendo’s view of what games should be.” As well as Reggie stating prize money is how other people are doing it and theyd rather honor the game whatever that means.

31. Mark H

Mark H

Well I won't be surprised if they don't want to take any active part in it, especially when the initiative was only started back in Feb this year.
    There's really not many games that can issue pro licenses atm, hopefully it gets more active so there can be more pro level tournaments like Evo Japan.

32. All this is just telling me they're gonna continue not funding pots for prize money, not that they're actively blocking smash players from getting esports licenses.

33. Jermare

Jermare

February is gonna be huge for Smash Ultimate. Genesis 6 at the beginning of the month and then EVO Japan 2 weeks later.

34. PachaelD

PachaelD

Glad it's returning - it was fun to watch online. Looking at MMCafe's discussion on what went wrong finances wide and what not - I'm not sure as there should be a number of either large gaming or advertisement companies that can pick up the slack.

35. Eolz

Eolz

Nice. I wonder what will be the games there this time.

36. Lucumo

Lucumo

Didn't watch since the line-up was pretty lackluster. The side tournaments were good and I watched some of those (was there Initial D in it or was it a separate thing because I really can't find it anymore...or I'm just merging tournaments together).

37. MarkMan

MarkMan

I’ve been part of resetera and the old forum before most people were born ;)

Looking forward to seeing everyone at the Evo World Finals in Las Vegas!

38. Any way of telling us the general period when the Japan lineup gets announced?

39. thetrin

thetrin
    Content Acquisition at DANGEN Entertainment Verafied

It's a bit of a pain that they're moving to Fukuoka for physical travel reasons, but I can't hate. Fukuoka is an awesome city. I wouldn't be surprised if they found a much better venue.

Tokyo doesn't have a lot of great choices for venues.