1. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

Closure.

2. Irate

Irate

Well sure, but you're using words like sickening, terrified, and humiliated.

3. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

It’s my confidence.

Which is why doing this could maybe help me to move on.

Sure as shit doesn’t feel that way right now, though.

4. Is it unusual for a job application to have you fill out a tax form? I usually only do that after I've got the job and in person, not on the internet.

5. Nabbit

Nabbit

Sorry to hear it. Has it taken place now? If so, did it go ok?

I don't think I've ever heard of that, no.

6. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

About how I half-expected: it was a small room with about four ladies, and all they did was record my statement. I was sincere and precise, detailing how I was given the PIP, the steps I took to improve in the areas it claimed I was lacking in, and how my supervisor had no more major criticisms left by the time it had run its course. I requested that I be given exact details on why I was still terminated instead of the vague answer they originally gave me, but all they said was that they would forward my statement to whoever and that it’s up to them to contact me (it didn’t sound like that would happen).

So maybe it’s for the best I didn’t get the exact details, and just move forward to learn and improve myself. Problem is I stressed myself to the point that I may have gotten myself sick. Hopefully I feel better tomorrow.

7. Rika

Rika

Last job I applied for was a remote job working for Wizards of the Coast. they said the job is competitive, so was expecting to be denied. It's been a few months since then and the hiring manager said they may have more positions open in a few months. I may consider emailing him and asking again.

I looked up the job and whatnot, and most seem to enjoy it.

8. Nabbit

Nabbit

Sorry to hear that and I hope you feel better tomorrow. At least now hopefully it will feel more doable to put this behind you. Wishing you the best of luck in your studies and job hunt.

9. Stalwart

Stalwart

Getting several screener interviews at least, nothing yet but we will see.

10. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

Thank you as always.

From here on out I want to pick a profession and stick with it, no more hestitation.

But it’s just so hard to narrow things down, especially in such a broad field like IT: the good news is there are a lot of IT careers out there, but it’s also bad news for someone indecisive like me.

I really would feel a whole lot more comfortable and confident if I could create a roadmap of sorts, like “Oh I want to be this, but first I have to start here, learn this thing, earn this other thing in order to get there”.

Where can I just get a list of the careers, the brief overview of what they entail, etc?

11. LunaSerena

LunaSerena

But what it is that causes that indecisiveness? I've seen you post a lot about that, and how you seem to jump from one area to another.

12. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

Apologies if this delves more into the mental health side of topics (which is why I’m using the discord to help deal with that), but it boils down to:

1. Can I learn it/be good at it?

2. Will I like it/stay commited to it?

3. Is there demand?

A lot of it stems with my past failures in choosing careers that either weren’t a good fit for me or were part of an industry where getting hired was like getting struck by lightning.

I certainly don’t have to worry about number 3 if I decide to get into a computer field, it’s 1 and 2 that keeps holding me back. I realize the only way I’ll know for sure is by actually dabbling in it, which is why I’m currently running a free app to learn HTML (I’m debating between an IT Security career or a Web Development/Programming one: the latter seems to hold my interest more since it’s on the more creative side of careers, it’s just number 1 again that I’m worried about).

13. Stalwart

Stalwart

I passed one of the screener interviews today and got an in person next week. Pray for me guys.

14. Host Samurai

Host Samurai

I’m done with Indeed and LinkedIn. The recruiter spam is ridiculous. I’ve been spammed called more than usual with 20 a day (no exaggeration) and dozens of emails about same job everyday in locations across the country. Recruiters are making this an even more miserable experience. I will only send my application directly to the company from now on.

15. ryllix

ryllix

I have never heard of this and I would never do this. I am not giving any extra personal information than needed and definitely not tax information.

16. LunaSerena

LunaSerena

Good luck! I wish you the best.

17. dEvAnGeL

dEvAnGeL

You got this!

18. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

This is the kind of video I was hoping to find. None of these bullshit recruitment ad videos but an actual human being telling me what a typical workday is like as well as the pros and cons.

I'm basically narrowing it down to IT Security vs Web Development, but this video is pushing me to the latter. It's the more "creative" of the two and I like the idea of designing something for a client vs checking with people if their computers are plugged in.

But I need to know how hard/long it'll take to get into one field vs the other. I really want to get my foot in as soon as possible, and learn whatever I need to learn first in order to be considered eligible for hire on an entry level basis.

19. Buttzerker

Buttzerker

So have any of you guys done driving for Uber/Lyft etc to pay bills while job-searching? Is it worth it? I'm employed right now but there's consistent rumors going around my boss is going to fire me because I sent proof of her showing favoritism to our district manager. I'm doing okay on savings, but it'd be nice to not have to dip into them while I job-search.

20. Bishop89

Bishop89

Applied for a job at Nintendo, let's see how it goes. I think I'm under qualified but need to be in it to win it

21. Valkerion

Valkerion

Mmmm got replies from several places a day or two after sending my resumes last week and still waiting for confirmation on interviews and what not. Sooo stressful.

common job offer. Got two months left before I'll be back with my parents -yikes!- before moving to my own place again.

22. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

It's weird how there's so little feedback on what it's like actually working there.

23. Aomber

Aomber

My sibling and I both got jobs at top tier companies through LinkedIn scouting. I would be cautious dismissing that.

24. Shiloh

Shiloh

Recruiters go through LinkedIn all the time. Ignoring that is crazy if you're looking for a job.

25. dabig2

dabig2

Can't say anything about Uber/Lyft, but I guess it will depend mostly on your area. The denser the better money potential. But damn at that story. Rumors you say, indicating other co-workers know about the complaint. How does that even become public? Sorry if prying into something you don't want to get into, but that sounds like some crazy bit of corporate drama.

26. Valkerion

Valkerion

Man... got tapped for a "Social Media Marketing Associate" position at some kinda new but seems stable company. I honestly applied out of nowhere with no real plan for it, and I have ZERO experience/real idea what this job is lol. Super under qualified but wondering if I should go. Sadly requires traveling, and they wanna do the interview next week of all things...

Mmm keep going for a sure thing in a field I got experience or take a chance at this interview...

27. Take it. Worst case, you get some new experience and skills.

28. Buttzerker

Buttzerker

I don't mind. If I had to guess, my district manager wrote my boss up and she made the logical leap that it was me who told on her since she has been riding my ass so much.

29. I just wanted to say thanks for this, as I've been thinking of ways to meaningfully updated my LinkedIn page. I barely use it but a recruitment adviser I went to see a couple of weeks ago basically said it's the most vital tool I can have and I should really make the most if it, so that's what I'm doing today.

30. Servbot24

Servbot24

I started applying to game studios in earnest this week. 25 apps sent so far, with a long list of potential companies still to send to. I am currently employed so it's not an emergency situation, but I'm definitely eager to move on from my current job.

31. Taco_Human

Taco_Human

I've applied to 6 IT jobs in the past week or so. Nothing yet, but I'm keeping track of what I applied to in my personal OneNote....

Here's hoping someone answers!

32. Caspah

Caspah

Nevermind. I was responding to a weeks old post.

33. Had an interview last Thursday and have heard nothing back, completely on tenterhooks over it. I am in an ok job at the moment but this one is much better, has better prospects, better money, better company reputation, etc. Waiting for the reply is torture.

34. tiebreaker

tiebreaker

Hmm, would it be too much to ask companies for feedbacks on why they reject your applications?

35. LunaSerena

LunaSerena

Maybe not specifically on why they reject you, but there doesn't seem to be any problem with writing a polite email asking for feedback. A good recruiter should be willing to respond.

36. Valkerion

Valkerion

Yeah I think I'll go and check it out. Gonna be an expensive over night in Tokyo as usual. Sent them a reply asking about the interview process, apparently its a group interview with a written test (English Copywriting.) Been looking it up on google lol. Seems interesting and I've always been curious about the marketing field after I left university, sadly no degree or classes taken in it. Now~ I have to try and get that Friday off lol.

Could be an interesting interview at least.

37. isual

isual
    Banned Member

dropped my second job. i felt...overqualified.

has anyone felt like this before ?

any update on this ?

i'm ok with being wrong, but i'd like to be right that company's will use 'free work' bullshit.

38. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

I'm strongly considering going all-in on Web Development as a career. I've been using Code Academy starting with the HTML lessons, and I'm also looking into enrolling in a class. I just recently learned about boot camps, so that requires further research (if anyone's got experience on that front let me know).

Thing is, that's left me wondering what would be best for my current unemployment. I was wondering if I should focus exclusively on part-time jobs, so that way I still have the time to learn the necessary skills I need and possibly enroll in school/camp. I've got some leeway thanks to my saved up account, as well as unemployment checks that will keep me sustained for now. I can't not apply for anything though, as the unemployment site requires me to check in or something (I'll have to see how that works).

So my question is what kind of part-time work would be recommended? Work at home options would be best, but I could use some ideas on what kind of work I should be looking at. I don't want to get into another job that I'll end up disliking or doesn't benefit me in the long run (unless it paid way more than my previous job, in which case I'd suck it up regardless).

39. Slader166

Slader166

SOLDIER When I was on unemployment the process was pretty simple. All I had to do was go to indeed, get the URL for the job listing, and CTRL+C it to the unemployment website. IIRC you have to list like 5 applications per week or something like that. I never actually applied for another job until the unemployment ran up.

I don't have experience with boot camps, but I know that there is a lot of info if you search around on /r/cscareerquestions

40. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

So I don’t have to actually apply to the jobs, just link the job listings?

41. Slader166

Slader166

Yup!

42. SOLDIER

SOLDIER

Alright, cool, thanks for that. Takes a bit of the stress off.

The stress of choosing a profession remains, though. I just worry if one career path is significantly harder to get into vs the other. Right now I'm going through the lessons in learn.freecodecamp.org, but there are a lot of them and I wonder how far I'll have to get in order to be considered for entry level employment.

43. low-G

low-G

So I'm getting an job offer in a few days, but I expect it to be acceptable.

My trepidation is that this job has a lot of responsibility - in a way. I'm basically in charge of modernizing a large component of a factory's operations with no real supervisor and no subordinates either. There's not going to be anyone to tell me I'm doing it wrong unless I burn the whole place down or something. I'm more or less going to have to set my own pace, ways of obtaining the objectives, and without any real limits. If I want them to order some major component, I'll just make my proposal.

So, anyone have experience with such a position? Any tips? I'm not even entirely sure how to feel about it.

44. Stalwart

Stalwart

Dam didn't get the job.

45. Saucycarpdog

Saucycarpdog

Sounds like a "fuck it, we'll do it live!" job until someone corrects you.

46. Spinluck

Spinluck

Keep grinding. Don't get discouraged.

47. Brickhunt

Brickhunt

Well, I don't know how to approach you guys, it is a peculiar situation, but I guess it won't hurt to try.

I'm from Brazil and I have a B.A in Journalist which I obtained in 2014. In the last three years I was working as a Social Media Analyst, but country's economy crashed and, as much my company tried to hold us, it came a point on which I was laid off. It has been 6 months after this and me and my wife were able to live off from my reserve and a bit of money from her private lessons to kids. But the well is running dry and in these last 6 months I was unable to get another job related to my field.

My dream job is to be a international correspondent, and I realize that one of the steps to reach this dream I have to take is to have experience outside Brazil. I really want to do my M.A in the U.S, but it is too expensive without some form of financial Aid or scholarship. I was looking forward to be Trainee in the US under the J-1 Visa, but I can only find intern jobs.

I feel that the longer I take to get an international job, the more distant this dream becomes. I'm afraid that if I get a job not related to my field, I will lose track of what I really want. I guess I would appreciate if you guys can help me find a journalistic or communications-related company that takes Trainee.

I am focusing on the US because I visit there a lot and I do have a Nevada's Driver License, but I am not opposed to other countries.

48. Valkerion

Valkerion

Got three interviews lined up today, tomorrow, and saturday... turned down for one already after our first contact emails, but seems like it would not have been for me. But man feels like I applied to every job I'm qualified for so far and only got 5 hits back so far. Still waiting/hoping for a few others, but the grind of sending applications and getting sad at the offers has burned me out a bit.

-gotta psyche myself up for this friday and saturday though!

49. Armadilo

Armadilo

anybody ever apply for an Apple retail job ?

50. TaterTots

TaterTots

Do you mean a W4? Typically, I do that later in the process. I'm working from home and I did legit everything online. I did my research first on the company.