1. TheGreenArrow

TheGreenArrow

I'm trying to decide between the TCL 55" and the 49" Samsung Q6F.

Does anyone have any experience with the Samsung?

2. Kuroknight27

Kuroknight27

So does everyone have banding issues with this tv? I’m thinking of getting it, but don’t really want to take the gamble.

3. nihilence

nihilence
    nothing but silence Moderator

I have a little banding on non hdr content.

4. What settings are people using with their PCs? In order to use HDR, I've got to go into the Nvidia Control Panel and set "Use Nvidia Color Settings" under "Change Resolution." It seems I have to set it to 10bpc for output color depth, and YCbCr422. This automatically enables HDR in Windows Display settings, and games that support HDR seem to offer that option (Hitman, Mass Effect Andromeda).

However, I'm very conflicted. Despite the TV having HDR enabled, I don't think these settings look better. Take Witcher 3 for example (SDR game I know). It looks much worse when Nvidia sets the TV to YCbCr422. I previously had Output color format set to RBG, Output color depth to 8bpc, and Output dynamic range to full. With those previous settings, I find the Witcher 3 much more appealing. There might be some crushed blacks (you can adjust gamme in the game thankfully), but it looks MUCH less washed out!

So, anyone have any thoughts on using HDR with their Windows PC? What are you settings and do you have any tips?

5. MaximusPayne

MaximusPayne

TV is awesome.

6. Fallen92

Fallen92

HDR on windows is not great right now. Windows can't automatically switch from HDR to SDR like consoles can so you have to manually switch to HDR when playing or watching HDR content and then turn it off for SDR content. Witcher 3 doesn't have HDR on PC so when it is enabled windows just tries to tone map it and it looks washed out and bad. Having it off is recommended for most games, it only works for games that are HDR capable like Destiny 2 or Mass Effect: Andromeda. If a game that has HDR looks washed out, usually switching inputs and then switching back fixes it or sometimes you have to enable it in game and then close and relaunch the game. It's pretty frustrating.

7. DekuBleep

DekuBleep

So how are these TVs reviewing for use with PS4 Pro and a Switch?

8. xellos2099

xellos2099

Man I really wish they made this model for around 40 inches. I got a s405 and it is pretty dececnt but I really want the p serie

9. JMeth

JMeth

I bought a set Friday and so far I have noticed zero banding or vignetting on screen. I do have a small bit of DSE but it's unnoticeable during movies and TV and only barely in games and it's far far less than the amount I had on the Vizio P series set it replaced so I am not fussed by it.

10. MaximusPayne

MaximusPayne

I have tried God of War and TLOU as my first two pro games and can say they look very good. Don't have a Switch, though.

11. Tap In

Tap In

For games as much as I want to use normal or bright HDR, for the best graphics HDR dark is a must to get the correct colors, temperature and not crush blacks and wash out whites.

But when in HDR dark it is beautiful and does not dim the highlights with local dimming on high

12. MAX PAYMENT

MAX PAYMENT

Isn't that just s color temperature changer?

13. Tap In

Tap In

On the p605 it was just a temperature change on the 617 even on warm, I notice a completely different color range on top of temperature so it definitely crushes black changes the color tone and brightens the whites into a larger washed-out section.

With some tweaking you can get normal and bright to look good but it's probably great for a bright room which the 605 never was but in the dark room that I play with backlighting dark HDR is much more authentic color and Lighting

14. MaximusPayne

MaximusPayne

Yeah mine is in the living area so normal was a must. Dark just did not show off all the colors enenou. I'm sure if it was in a completely dim room it would have on Dark.. Regardless, I am very happy with this set.

15. This is my situation as well. There is always some light on / sun coming in when using the TV, so HDR Dark is just too dark. For me, I was going between normal and bright, but I think I have settled on normal as I do notice some washout on bright.

16. Droidian

Droidian

I finally set up my tv after moving everything to my new place. What a beautiful TV. I like that you can just open the top of the box and slide off the cover giving you easy access to lift the tv.

Setting up the TV to 4k was super easy on my one X.

I still haven't tested it for gaming since my internet will get set up later in the afternoon. I did test my first 4k movie, Terminator 2 ( I know get a real 4k film) but man it's amazing, no banding or any issue.

I had bought the Samsung MU7000, returned for cosmetic defect. Bought the NU7100, returned after reading Eras recommendation on the R615 so I finally settled on this. No regret.

17. Tap In

Tap In

I wanted to revisit this because for some reason normal now looks very good on my TV in HDR (with warm) I don't I know if my TV was breaking in and now it looks better or if it was the 11-point white balance adjustments that I matched from rtings.com but for some reason it seems that the normal HDR looks great in games again compared to dark I don't know if it was my Xbox x that was displaying it incorrectly or what the situation was.

Weird

18. Kuroknight27

Kuroknight27

There’s an open box excellent-certified one at my Best Buy for about $40 off I wonder if they had banding issues.

19. Droidian

Droidian

Hey Tap, or anyone else who has their x1x set up. I feel a slight bit of lag when moving around in games. Just want to know what settings you have for best gaming experience.

I just played my first game of Pubg on this beauty and won a chicken dinner! No one can hide from me with this beauty of a tv.

20. Troll

Troll

Go in and test it. They shouldn’t have a problem with you turning it on before purchase.

21. You've got 15 days to return if there are issues. I got an open box one at BB a few weeks ago. They had taken like $180ish off the 65" for it being a display unit for only a few weeks before LG paid a ton of money to remodel a section of the BB TV area and they had nowhere to put the TCLs.

22. Tap In

Tap In

I run low power for SDR games and game mode ON which means no motion handling, and rtngs.com settings for 11pt white balance in warm temp.

For HDR I use warm normal HDR and same 11 or white settings game mode On Local Dimming back to high.
    Tv Brightness to brighter, 100/50/75 for backlight/brightness/contrast

I do not notice any perceived lag and I run a sound bar in HDMI 3 arc with Xbox x in HDMi 1.

Sounds like if you're getting chicken dinner, you should be good on lag lol but if you have game mode off be sure to turn it on and then turn Local Dimming back to high.

23. Kuroknight27

Kuroknight27

Is there an easy way to test to see if it has banding issues? Like is there away to make the screen white like in the menus or something, so I can check it in the store?

24. Kuroknight27

Kuroknight27

Has anyone mounted their 55in tv, I have a mount for my current tv and I’m wondering if it will fit?

25. Red XIII

Red XIII
    Community Resettler Member

you can use this https://www.dropbox.com/s/eefvfqfo50wclxy/4K TV Slides.zip?dl=0
    4k slides copy them to a usb
    https://youtu.be/q6Xysz9m8LM

26. Kuroknight27

Kuroknight27

27. Droidian

Droidian

Sounds good, I'll try that out.

Yeah I won twice back to back, could just be me trying to adjust to my experience with 4K

28. Kuroknight27

Kuroknight27

Is this set cec capable?

29. Tap In

Tap In

Yes

30. Kuroknight27

Kuroknight27

Is there away to turn it on? Cuz on my old tv my Apple TV could turn off my tv and control the volume, but I can’t seem to get it to work on this tv.

31. Tap In

Tap In

Home/settings/system/control other devices cec

32. Kuroknight27

Kuroknight27

Thank you.

33. Tap In

Tap In

You bet , hope it does the trick

34. What's the best settings for HDR content on Xbox one x

35. LAM09

LAM09

I only found out about this brand in the last few weeks and noticed that they are being released in the UK at the end of the month. However, they seem to be low-end range.

Seems like a stupid move

36. Minions

Minions

Bought the 65" TV yesterday.... has the banding issue. Mainly noticeable when the camera pans on light colors (light blue or white). Bummer. Luckily it was from best buy, so I will return it, but since they don't have stock in store I will have to reorder and ship to store.

37. MXRider

MXRider

Is there anyway to have the tv turn on to an input instead of the home screen? I still use Kinect to turn on my Xbox and I hate that I still have to find the remote to select the input.

38. Red XIII

Red XIII
    Community Resettler Member

yes you can is in the settings under power.

39. MXRider

MXRider

Found it. Thanks!

40. Captjohnboyd

Captjohnboyd

So I bought the P607 from eBay today on account of the discount and I asked in the P thread but it's kinda dead so wanted to ask here if anyone knows the best/cheapest mounts. I've heard viewing angle, especially on the P's, is sort of rough so I was looking for an extending swiveling tilting mount. Not a requirement of a recommendation though. Just looking for options

41. There are a ton of quality, cheap options on Amazon. Just make sure to double check the reviews on Fakespot, as some do not have legitimate reviews.

42. Captjohnboyd

Captjohnboyd

What's fakespot?

Edit: nevermind found it. Thanks

43. What color depth settings should I have for the Xbox One X? It’s set to 8-bit by default along with Standard color space. Should I tinker with 10 or 12 but color depth?

44. LuvOfThaGame

LuvOfThaGame

10 bit is what the 6 series supports.

45. Chan

Chan

I got the 55", got home and realized my TV stand is too small even with the stands inverted, going to Target to get a new TV stand.

46. Chan

Chan

TV is gorgeous with the rtings settings, only gripe is that the remote doesn't use IR for volume control so my Playbar can't pick up the signal.

47. You must have the Amazon version? Because the Best Buy version with the simple remote does use IR for volume controls.

48. Chan

Chan

No I have the Best Buy 615. Its an IR remote but from my understanding is that it isn't using IR to transmit the volume controls.

49. It definitely is. I have a smart remote for my home theater setup and taught it the IR codes by using the TCL remote. All the buttons from that remote provide IR signals.

50. Droidian

Droidian

I think I know what you mean, I also bought the Best buy version and have a similar issue with my remote.

Just to update, I'm loving this tv. Great buy at the price.