Were we too harsh on Yeezus?

Discussion in 'EtcetEra' started by TI92, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Big_Blue

Big_Blue

By far his worst album

2. Disco

Disco

What in the hell, be harsh on this last month of GOOD Music releases instead.

Yeezus is one of Kanyes finest albums, with a super eclectic group of producers collaborating with him to take that Death Grips style sound and make it more poppy

Also Hold My Liquor is a top 5 Ye song

3. Fevaweva

Fevaweva

Yeezus is a great album. Didn't like Bound 2 but almost everything else is grade-a material.

4. Moonkid

Moonkid

Too harsh on Yeezus and not harsh enough on Pablo.

5. The Driver

The Driver

KSG and Daytona some primo shit cuz. Haven’t heard the Nas or Teyana albums yet.

6. Mike Double U

Mike Double U

Y’all definitely been too harsh and have been sleeping on Yeezus far too long. Yeezus has been a Top 3 Ye album since day one.

7. HiLife

HiLife

One of his weakest albums but still miles ahead of the turds known as TLOP and Ye.

8. Noobiwan

Noobiwan

It has the same syndrome as 808s: it'll be remembered as a good album 7-9 years after its release. I remember that a lot of people shat on 808s for being different and doing something unordinary in the genre. Now, 10 years after its release, a lot of people seem fond of it and rank it in the higher areas of Kanye's discography.
    I think the same will happen with Yeezus, it was just ahead of its time and once again did something unordinary In the genre: mixing industrial electro beats with (trash, don't @me)lyrics and raw flows, in a time when EDM, Trap and Industrial was only starting to get really popular. Hell, I recall people listening to goddamn Skrillex at that time.
    So yeah, we were too harsh with Yeezus at the time, it's a good, but not great album which did something new in the genre.
    For people who liked Yeezus:
    LISTEN TO BIG FISH THEORY BY VINCE STAPLES, IT'S YEEZUS DONE BETTER.

9. Disco

Disco

I'll give you Santeria bruv, and KSG got a few good tracks. but overall this whole GOOD Music season in 2018 was a bit of a wash for me. I'll definitely have Reborn, Kids See Ghosts and Cudi Montage on rotation in the future tho.

10. Catvoca

Catvoca

Feel like the premise of this thread is weird considering the album got a ton of critical acclaim and amongst Kanye fans is often very well regarded. It’s divisive sure, and deservedly so with it’s abrasive production and immature lyrics, but there has been a lot of people that fucked with Yeezus for years.

It’s top 3 Ye for me, and an endlessly replayable burst of energy.

His SNL performances from Yeezus are incredible

11. Yebele

Yebele

it's one of the best albums of the last 15 years easily and the second best kanye album.

12. 36 Chambers

36 Chambers

LMAO. So quick to post that garbage snarky ass reply you couldn't even read a two line OP

13. My first kanye album because of this thread but i found that I really like about half of the songs. i am a god, blood on the leaves, send it up, and new slaves all seemed pretty cool

14. Creamium

Creamium

Yeezus is by far Kanye's best and of the greatest albums of the decade

15. Brinbe

Brinbe

very much a love or hate album for many. There's some really good shit on there like Hold my liquor/Onsight, but I don't get the hyperbolic love people have for it, really. Better then Late Registration or 808s? Nahh....

16. WaffleTaco

WaffleTaco
    Community Resettler Member

It’s usually ranked alongside MBDTF as his best album though?

17. hydruxo

hydruxo

Yeezus was his last great album. Not a skippable track on there.

18. shintoki

shintoki

People didn't like it? I say its his second best

19. Thornton Reed

Thornton Reed

I’ve said time and time again on this forum that it’s his best album. Still sounds fresh today.

I totally get why people don’t like it, especially coming off MBDTF. It’s a big middle finger to everything that came before it.

20. EloquentM

EloquentM

Listen to my beautiful dark twisted fantasy and 808s & heartbreak

21. blame space

blame space
    Resettlement Advisor Member

slightly scratched your carolla
    -- ok I smashed your carolla

22. ZeoVGM

ZeoVGM

It's one of the best albums this decade and will go down as that when the end of the decade articles come out in a couple years.

23. Thunder11

Thunder11

Huge huge drop off from the preceding albums in pretty much every way. At least it’s different

24. HueyFreeman

HueyFreeman

It's virtuoso production and musical craftsmanship, wrapped around the stupidest fucking lyrics on a pop album in at least the decade leading up to it. At a certain point, it's hard to ignore that Kanye is fully an idiot. The MAGA stuff has only served to confirm what the lyrical content on Yeezus was already demonstrating.

25. torre_avenue

torre_avenue

Yeezus is a classic.

On Sight is a classic.

Blood on the Leaves is a classic.

Literally the weakest song on that record is probably "I Am A God" but the audaciousness of that song is so good.

I'm a die-hard Yeezus fanboy, so come at me. This album is basically the unholy spawn of the biggest names in borderline experimental electronic music and its so good. Gesaffelstein synths, Arca synths, Daft Punk basslines & distortion, TNGHT drums, and so much more. This album is the genesis of today's biggest names in art-y electronic music.

26. Snake Eater

Snake Eater

It’s even better now

27. DeeDogg

DeeDogg

Yes
    Yeezus is the GOAT

28. zeioIIDX

zeioIIDX

Nah. Personally can't get into that experimental auto-turned shit with distorted sound everywhere on this album. The beat for Black Skinhead is great but for me, Yeezus just doesn't click or satisfy my tastes. When it comes to Kanye: College Dropout, Late Registration, and Graduation are where it's at for me. Once he hit 808s and Heartbreak, I was like....no thanks. I realize it influenced a lot in hip-hop but it just wasn't for me.

It's similar to how with Drake, I was digging his shit back in '06 and '07 when he dropped Room for Improvement and Comeback Season and I even liked Best I Ever Had and Successful off his So Far Gone mixtape but past that, he started doing all that crooning and singing and stepped away from the rap flow he used to have so I prefer his earlier stuff.

I think with stuff like Yeezus, it's just that the album is so fucking loud and sometimes empty feeling in the way that some tracks drone on and on and I'm not much into that. I grew up around where he grew up on the south side of Chicago so with his earlier stuff, I appreciated that soulfulness and his love for house music and stuff 'cause my dad used to be a DJ and he'd spin house records back in the 90s and deep soul stuff. And I'm not trying to be selfish either, I know that if that's the Kanye I wanna hear, I can just go back and play his earlier stuff and it's great that he has evolved and tried new things musically.