1. Foffy

Foffy

Probably the best Nintendo platforming soundtrack since that game, if we're to be honest.

2. Chacranajxy

Chacranajxy

As much as I love TF's soundtrack (and I do love it), I think Yoshi's Wooly World topped it.

3. Weiss

Weiss

It's neck and neck but if I were forced at gunpoint to pick, I'd go with Tropical Freeze.

4. Datajoy

Datajoy

This game is so delightful! Bursting with creativity and challenge. As much as I loved Odyssey (it was my GOTY), I came away from the game still thirsty for some pure platforming on Switch. Tropical Freeze has scratched that itch and more.

5. AztecComplex

AztecComplex

Thats some powerful statements right there. I'm glad because I mostly didnt care for DKCReturns' music and I come from loving the music of the SNES trilogy.

6. JershJopstin

JershJopstin

David Wise came back for Tropical Freeze to do the original tracks justice and make plenty of new bangers. He wasn't a part of Returns.

7. OrbitalBeard

OrbitalBeard
    Self-Requested Ban Member

I disagree but that Woolly World soundtrack is pretty dang good

8. sanstesy

sanstesy

YWW's OST is insanely good. Absolutely not wrong thinking that.

9. I got him! It took like 22 tries but level 5 here I come!

10. *Guaraná

*Guaraná

going to the 5th stage of the 6th and last island.
    11 hours so far.

Blurry fury took 20 lives to pass.

11. 3 or 4 of each character? :O

Oh dear, this is a serious Kong Krime™. I'm afraid this carries a total of 6 months of jail time. Bail is set at 900 Banana Coins.

12. Tofer

Tofer

6-8 driving me bonkers with this rhino platforming.

13. Chacranajxy

Chacranajxy

Am I the only one who frantically yells "RAAAMMMBBIIII!!!!!" out loud while I'm dashing with him?

14. It had a great soundtrack? News to me, I gotta check out some songs from the OST now. Curious!

15. Tofer

Tofer

I might break my switch tonight

Meltdown mayhem is some next level bullshit. Just used all 30 of my balloons on that last checkpoint trying to outrun the lava

16. N.Domixis

N.Domixis

Surprised how many like the soundtrack, outside of original remixes I’ve heard none are as memorable as the first two game so far. Which is incredibly disappointing to me.

17. Tofer

Tofer

K, beat it

Lol

18. PlayBee

PlayBee

If you're making mistakes and falling into the lava rather than being swallowed by it due to running out of time, I'd suggest slowing down. I remember having quite a bit of trouble with the level the first time I played the game, and I was kind of dreading it this time, but it didn't give me any trouble by taking my time and only using Rambi's charge when necessary.

Edit: Well, nevermind. Gj lol

19. Tofer

Tofer

I was actually going to slow. Was having trouble keeping momentum after jumping.

Just tried the boss and made it to the part where he raises the platforms without losing a heart...then instant death

Ya, calling it a night

20. skullwaker

skullwaker

Holy shit I forgot how good the music in this game is. That second one gives me Animal Crossing vibes.

Probably still my favorite 2D platformer ever (sorry TF, you're still amazing).

21. Balbanes

Balbanes

Alright I just got to the final boss and I've gotten all the KONG letters besides 6-A and 6-B, which I haven't played yet. Out of all the normal levels, the only levels that were frustrating were both the Rhino levels and Irate Eight.

22. FutureLarking

FutureLarking

I'm going to need to see the receipts on this, the only actual evidence I've seen for people saying it's running in the lowest power mode is wishful thinking and conjecture. Maybe it is, but gonna need some actual proof and not just assuming that must be true because its not 720p.

23. srtrestre

srtrestre

Replaying TF really got me in the mood for more 2D Nintendo platformers. I hope they make more + port more, especially some of the older ones.

24. zakatana

zakatana

I've been playing the game for the first time and it is, without a doubt, my favorite 2D plateformer of all times.
    With BOTW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2 and now this DK, the Switch has, in just 1 year, 4 games that can make it to my top 20. I complain a lot about the console on this forum, but this is mind blowing.

25. carlosrox

carlosrox

I don't use it often actually, but just in case.

26. Weegian

Weegian

The Deep Keep music reminds me of Torvus Bog.

27. Yoshi

Yoshi

It is a nice thing that Woolly came with great music again after the (otherwise great) DS/3DS iterations were rather weak in terms of sound. This specific music by the way has a strong Commander Keen vibe to me :).

28. ChemicalWorld

ChemicalWorld

I'm absolutely in love with this game even though it is kicking my ass lol. Sawmill Thrill was an absolute blast and I don't think I can ever tire of replaying that level. The music is so godlike and the visual flare and inventivness of the platforming reminds me so much of Rayman Origins. Hoping that the SNES games hit Switch at some point along with Country Returns because as a first taste of DK I'm hooked. :)

29. Neiteio

Neiteio

I honestly think Funky Mode is worth $60 by itself. So freaking fun.

30. QuicoGil

QuicoGil

I made up my mind: Tropical Freeze has become hands down my favourite game from this generation.

31. Socreges

Socreges

I'm tempted to rip through the levels and just get the KONG pieces but not the puzzle pieces. Then when I'm more deliberate and careful during Hard mode I'd grab the puzzle pieces.

... does that make sense?

32. QuicoGil

QuicoGil

Sure, the pieces just give you pictures. The KONG letters are the actual important collectibles.

33. OrbitalBeard

OrbitalBeard
    Self-Requested Ban Member

This is the best way to play the game.

34. AndreGX

AndreGX
    GameXplain Verafied

Absolutely! I've been advocating playing this way for years

35. QuicoGil

QuicoGil

Retro also got secret exits right. They're not obvious at all most of the time.

36. Datajoy

Datajoy

Yes i remember hearing you say this in your original review in 2014... Don't sweat the puzzle pieces on your first playthrough, especially the ones locked inside bonus rooms. I'm glad I heard that advice!

37. macapala

macapala

Yeah, Yoshi's Woolly World has a great OST.

Don't forget this one:

38. TheMoon

TheMoon
    |OT| Member OP

David Wise doesn't need to compete with himself. It's just more greatness.

39. Phil32

Phil32

I'm joining the screenshot bandwagon.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Funnily enough, all three feature DK and Dixie even though I try to rotate the Kong partners I use.

40. Miaus

Miaus

To me, music in video games is a HUGE part of why I enjoy the activity, in fact, I would never consider a game great if the soundtrack isn't something special, in my eyes, it is just as important as the game itself.

My sleep schedule is all messed up due to work as I go to bed at like 7 AM, therefore, I usually play during afternoon when I have some spare time, thing is, there is so much noise and distractions that I can hardly focus while I play. I heard so many good things about DKC:TF that I was very excited to play and hear it. The day came, beat a couple level and wasn't very impressed, in fact hugely disappointed, not a single track stuck with me. Next day, played a little more, same thing. Huge bummer, I thought about it all day long, couldn't get it out of my head, it was late at night, I just had to give it one more go, without anyone bothering me or needing to be aware of anything, put on my headphones and started listening to the tracks on Youtube and it was like magic you know, not ever in my life have I gone from zero to hero about music in a game like tonight. Probably more than 20 years ago was the last time I played DKC on my cousin's SNES, I'm so incredibly happy right now.

It's 6:30 AM and Busted Bayou is playing while I work, loving every second of it, and I don't even listen to reggae-like music.

TL;DR : Playing with headphones on makes a world of difference when the music is as good as it is in DKC:TF.

41. Kiraly

Kiraly

Its the GOAT. First time I am actively listening to the soundtrack of games and even listening to it on Youtube at times, it's that good. And I am as casual of a gamer as you can get.

42. AztecComplex

AztecComplex

You're posting on Era. You cant possibly be "as casual of a gamer as you can get". But I get what you're trying to convey about the music tho.

43. antonio

antonio

This was discussed two pages ago, but I want to add I would take any level from Tropical Freeze over the whole DKC Returns game. I didn`t like DKCR music, boring worlds with almost the same visuals in each level, ugly enemies with no charm, crappy bosses. Tropical Freeze is so perfect in every aspect. I hope they continue making games like this!

44. SmashN'Grab

SmashN'Grab

This game is fantastic. My biggest problem with any new game that I buy is that I play it for an hour or so to get through the opening parts (which are frequently a chore in most mainstream games) and then set it down for a while intending to come back and really get stuck in soon after. Usually I don't get back to it for months or even years (which is a total waste of money and kind of a problem).

However with this, I bought it and played all last weekend. I haven't done that with a game in ages. The way it's structured, level-by-level (just like the old days) and with such tight controls and great level design and an immediacy to the whole thing just makes me want to keep playing. I love it. More of this type of thing would be great.

I guess what I'm saying is, I really appreciate immediacy in games. You can turn this on and be playing straight away, no bullshit. So many games these days smother you in cinematics and tutorials and all kinds of crap, that I start losing interest the moment I load them up.

45. Calamari41

Calamari41

Woolly World is indeed at the top of the heap, but it doesn't have to take the place of Tropical Freeze. I consider Woolly World to be the best "exploration" based platformer of all time, while Tropical Freeze is the best "action" platformer. There is action in Woolly World and there is exploration in Tropical Freeze, but each game definitely focuses on one over the other. It's hard to definitively say that one is better than the other, because they're so different.

A big factor for these games is that each has a GOAT-tier soundtrack.

46. Kiraly

Kiraly

I meant more among the Era crowd. Before the Switch, I played Assassin's Creed and FIFA anually and that's about it. :lol

The Switch has definitely reinvigorated gaming for me. Love this little console.

47. hipsterbodega

hipsterbodega

I just wanted to chime in and agree that Yoshi's Woolly World had a surprisingly excellent soundtrack.

Tropical Freeze is a terrific game too, of course.

48. Xtortion

Xtortion

Yoshi’s Woolly World is pretty damn great, ye

Limp final boss aside, it might be better than Yoshi’s Island

49. Sparky2112

Sparky2112

Not there yet in my playthrough. That looks like my worst videogame nightmare...

50. David Sr.

David Sr.

It's curious because even though I adore Tomoya Tomita I found his work in Woolly World a bit flat after Epic Yarn and specially Wario Land Shake soundtracks.

On the other hand I agree that Woolly World is probably one of the best exploration platformers ever done (I reserve that spot to Wario Land 2, 3 and 4, though).