1. spidye

spidye

thanks for clarifying. why are you sorry for me not liking the show?
    not liking is a little bit harsh but I feel the show went from very good to ok to kinda bad since the jump to the mirror verse.
    and the finale left a sour taste in my mouth so my reaction may seem to be made prematurely

2. Deleted member 20799

Deleted member 20799
    User requested account closure Member

More Detmer!

3. APZonerunner

APZonerunner
    Features Editor at VG247.com Verafied

I wonder how fast they find a way to get Lorca back. I really think the show needs somebody like Jason Isaacs.

4. VitalNonsense

VitalNonsense

So say we all.

5. LewieP

LewieP

Yeah, you're right. I like Greenwood in the role a lot, but short of time travel shenanigans (what's the reason for the distress signal?) he wouldn't really fit.

Don't think Quinto would have to be limited to a cameo though. I'm sure it would be a step down in pay from the movies, but he does plenty of TV work, and whilst I don't think he quite measures up to Nimoy, I think he's the best anyone could have hoped for in a cover version. I could see him as a recurring guest character (I wouldn't even say it would be impossible for him to join the crew of the Discovery).

I don't actually want them to get more intertwined with TOS or any other era/continuity to be honest, but if they are doing so, I hope they do it right.

6. Moff

Moff

I was hoping the distress call was from Lorca, I don't care about the TOS fanservice at all :(

7. Soap

Soap

I thought this was great. Really hoping the lighter tone at the end continues.

8. D65

D65

Fuuuuck

should I watch Enterprise all the way through then?

9. BossAttack

BossAttack

Have you watched other Trek? Enterprise is probably tied with Voyager for me as least enjoyable Trek, but they're both decent enough. ENT actually starts to get really good before it was canceled.

10. D65

D65

I haven't no. I like what I've seen of Enterprise but its sooo long. I don't want to miss much from Discovery. I just realised that TOS is actually where the reference is from... I don't know what is important to watch.

11. As others have said, I thought that was a good episode, if a little rushed. The Klingon war really should have been two seasons if they wanted to get across the stakes of it, and that's coming from somebody who rarely likes Klingon-centric Star Trek plots. For how bad the situation was when they came back from the MU, it ended far too conveniently. But I'm not complaining as I'm glad it's out the way. Looking forward to a Season 2 with a non-disgraced Michael, no Ash Tyler drama, and hopefully we get to know the crew a bit better. Also I hope they lower the stakes somewhat, because the spore networks destruction meaning the end of all life in all universes really annoyed me (I know that the existence of multiverses makes this a bit of a paradox for a lot of situations, but in this instance it's not hard to conceive of a universe where the spore network gets damaged and isn't fixed, and therefore everyone everywhere dies). Way too overkill considering the stakes were high enough as they were.

I don't care if it was an easy way to please the fans, seeing the Enterprise at the end was great fun. Especially the end credits music.

12. funky

funky

I think we are going to see a lot of new crew members to replace everyone who died so I think they at least try replacing him before finding a way to bring him back.

He was great though. Acted the hell out of it.

Is s2 really 2020? Fuuuck

13. Dougald

Dougald

Enjoyable enough final episode, plus a nice little TOS cameo at the end. I hope the Klingons take more of a back seat in series two, though I did like the gritty underworld depiction of Quo'nos

I'm disappointed at the implication that Saru isn't going to be Captain going forward

14. Proteus

Proteus

This was my biggest gripe. He deserves the command.

15. BossAttack

BossAttack

First, no Trek series has to be watched to get any other series. If that were the case then a Trek series has failed. Each Trek series can be watched totally independent from one another, though obviously watching all prior series will give you further insight. But, you don't need to watch anything else to get Discovery.

No Trek is "important" to watch. Rather, fans generally agree that the best incarnation of the series are mainly TNG, TOS, and DS9. If you want to "understand" "real" Trek then watch some TNG or DS9, though any series is fine.

16. StallionDan

StallionDan

No, the battle I referenced happened in the late 2240s during the Fed-Klingon war, the outcome of which was the set up for The Trouble with Tribbles.

Even if STD has completely retconned the time period of the war and as an excuse try and make that battle some one off skirmish, the idea the Klingons didn't reclaim the area (on the edge of their space!) during the complete pushover STD version of the war is ridiculous.

17. Smylie

Smylie

So what's the verdict on the season in general? If I'm not a huge Star Trek fan, is it worth a one-month sub to CBS All Access?

18. Dougald

Dougald

Divisive if you're a Trek fan. I'd say it's worth a watch if you like Sci-Fi in general

19. It has a pretty good opener, then becomes kinda bleh, then has a few really good episodes and ends on a pretty low note.

A quick Google search tells me CBS All Access costs $6 a month? If that's the case then go for it. It's worth the price for those really good episodes alone.

20. I'm pretty sure when they announced the season 2 order they were shooting for early 2019, but who knows if that changed. They probably don't know for sure. I made sure when I canceled All Access this morning to fill out the little comment field saying I'd be back for the second season.

Anyone pick up that Eaglemoss Shenzhou model? I like the design of the ship but the model looks so overly red. Their Discovery prototype looks weirdly gold, which is too bad.

21. I thought this was pretty cool

Edit:

I sure hope this (plus the new captain) will be the 'main cast' going forward

22. VitalNonsense

VitalNonsense

I was staring at the new Enterprise design and noticed that the struts have the same detail on top that the TOS version did, but only on one half. Made me realize that if you removed the second piece, it would be fairly close to the original design. Makes me wonder if it's designed with that possibility in mind.

The ship was launched 10 years ago. Maybe sometime between now (2256? 7?) and 2262 it gets some mods. Then again before Kirk takes command, and for the final time in 2271.

[​IMG]

The years may not be perfectly accurate but you take my meaning.

23. PuppetMinion

PuppetMinion

Overall loved the whole season. The tempo went down to a more classic slow Trek the last few episodes but I think it tied together things just fine if a bit hastily.

Really hope that 2020 rumor is not true.

24. Wrexis

Wrexis

I can't name two thirds of the cast. Wow.

So if Discovery are going to Vulcan to pick up their new captain...it couldn't be Spock right?

25. VitalNonsense

VitalNonsense

No. Spock is actually right in front of them on the Enterprise right now, where he will remain for quite a while.

Agreed that it's a problem when you can hardly name the characters in a small bridge cast photo of regulars.

26. Icekilla

Icekilla
    Banned Member

shhhhh We don't talk about that movie.

27. Medalion

Medalion

That too.

Still... I am not even a huge TOS fan, but that ending still got me hard for the possibilities

28. Paganmoon

Paganmoon

Tilly is the best, just the best. No one kinder or nicer.

Also, they're on their way to Vulcan to pick up their captain... so it's totally T'pol, right guys?

29. Soap

Soap

They are going to pick up the new captain, which ends up being prime Lorca.

30. Medalion

Medalion

Tilly got to rock her straight hair again (still red) cuz Emperor Captain Georgiou though her wavy hair was not appealing lol
    She got to drop another S-bomb and get high

Yes, she is quickly becoming a fave breakout for this show for me

31. Deleted member 20799

Deleted member 20799
    User requested account closure Member

Capt. Sporka?

32. VitalNonsense

VitalNonsense

Jason has such presence in the show and carried large parts of it. I'd be perfectly happy if this turned out to be true. However they would have to put in a lot of effort to differentiate him from the Lorca we know and make the characters okay with it.

33. Kaitos

Kaitos

Thanks for watching everyone! I am not on season 2, but I really enjoyed reading everyone's responses, both good and bad. I'm as excited for you guys for what season 2 has in store for us!

34. Awweee no. Oh well you did a fantastic job keeping us entertained and being superb here on ERA. Thank you so much!

Do you know what you are working on next fall?

35. Kaitos

Kaitos

I am writing on American Gods :)

but I <3 my ST family and it's my favorite room I've worked with.

36. Spectromixer

Spectromixer

Congrats! Looking forward to season two of both shows!

37. It’s possible that Saru might not last very long past the opener given that Doug Jones might be cast on another show as a regular (What we do in the shadows). If that goes to series it gives them a chance to bring Burnham up to Number One for a new Captain and cut back on the expense of a Kelpian every week.

38. Soap

Soap

If it’s true season 2 will be late 2019/ early 2020 I think Foug Jones should have enough time to spread himself between two shows.

39. Kaitos

Kaitos

I truly do not think that season 2 will be late 2019 and knowing Jason he was just being Jason but this is also not gospel and I am not on the show anymore. Like that would be legitimately surprising to me given what I think their schedule is.

40. WhySoDevious

WhySoDevious

Loved the season.

Disappointed that they killed off Michelle Yeoh so early in the season but happy to have her back later. Hopefully we get to see more of her.

Loved Lorca from the start and I was pissed when they pulled that twist. As much as I wish to have him back, I think that would be a mistake.

I'm glad that Klingons won't be featured so prominently in the next season. I felt like every time they were on screen, the show just seemed to drag and drag. Seems like they did speed up the way they talked towards the end of the season, but not sure if that was the case.

In any case, I'll be watching season two.

41. Yay that’s awesome. Best of luck to you! Give the Discovery team our best when you next hear from them and look forward to your AG posts :)

42. Kaitos

Kaitos

I literally talk to almost all of them every day but I will pass it along. Also I'm pretty sure that Sean Cochran has read every single opinion on Disco on the internet at this point.

43. Paganmoon

Paganmoon

So American Gods is not dead? yey!

44. Kaitos

Kaitos

45. Effect

Effect

Thanks for keeping us update and for your work on the show! Loved this season more then I thought I could! I still need to check out American Gods but I'm glad that show was able to get a new showrunner and I'm looking forward to check it out.

I'm really hoping season 2 of Discovery does take to long. I always figured Feb/March 2019 if the rumor filming starts sometime in April. Though if they do go that long it would be cool if they did a one episode during the break in order to have some Trek based content between the seasons.

46. antonz

antonz

Will be interesting to see if they do anything significant with Pike. Timeline wise its after the Cage stuff but its a good 5-8 years before he is injured. TimeLine wise Kirk is finished with the Academy and is a Lieutenant on the Farragut when the Season ends. That same year is when the Farragut is attacked by the cloud creature killing most of the crew which ties into the TOS Episode Obsession.

47. Paganmoon

Paganmoon

Wouldn't be too surprising though, seems to be a trend with bigger name shows having extra long hiatus as of late.

Sweet! looking forward to it!

48. Prattle

Prattle

Georgiou being treated as if she was Thanos or some other superpowered menace that everyone was afraid of was a bit strange.

And I still can’t watch Starships within atmospheres without it bugging me. (Too big)

But bring on season 2! I hope we to get to know a crew well in the next few seasons.

49. Pluto

Pluto

Pretty good, the first few episodes were a bit rocky, then it became decent, then awesome, then towards the end it felt a bit rushed but I think it was worth watching.

Owosekun (Ops), Stamets, Tilly, Brice (communications), Reese (tactical), Detmer (pilot)
    Ayriam, Burnham, Saru

Maybe you can be back for season 3 when American Gods is cancelled.

50. Joeytj

Joeytj

No, thank you for hanging around here and putting up with our reactions. You were very professional about it all :p

You being here and being a fan also made me confident that the show itself has the best intentions for Trek in mind and hopefully season 2 makes the show even better. We need a great Star Trek show in these times.