1. Saucer

Saucer
    Banned Member

I think it's the opposite in the case of Borderlands 2.

The geometry was incredibly simplistic, as is the physics and AI. A cell shaded look can mask a lot of the graphical simplicity and still make it look pretty good which is likely why I think they chose to bring this over to Vita.
    [​IMG]

2. Dark1x

Dark1x
    Digital Foundry Verafied

I agree 100%. The Vita never came close to matching the PSP in terms of pushing beyond expectations. There were some impressive games on there but it wasn't as cutting edge a machine as PSP in its day. Not even close.

Again - you need to think about the origins of the game on consoles of that era.

Borderlands 2 is often a sub-30fps game on PS3 and 360. Wolfenstein 2 is a mostly 60fps game on PS4 and Xbox One.

Borderlands 2 on Vita is how I'd imagine more ambitious games of the PS4/XO generation would wind up on Switch. A PS4 game that's barely hitting 30fps isn't going to translate well as it suggests a lot of overhead to deal with. Wolf 2 is just a really well optimized game.

3. brainchild

brainchild

I don't see why we need to shit on the PSP in order to praise the Switch, or vice versa. PSP was impressive for its time. Switch is impressive for its time. They don't have to be diametrically opposed...

4. Dark1x

Dark1x
    Digital Foundry Verafied

Precisely! They're two peas in a pod, as far as I'm concerned.

5. Al3x1s

Al3x1s

It's a pretty open game on last gen hardware, what does that screenshot prove? I think the geometry is on par with other games of the era overall (not in one specific element but overall) as for example the amount of enemies and loot pinatas and effects you could have on screen at a time was pretty large (and the variety of levels is large also, not everything was a desert, you had all kinds of settings, indoor and outdoor often with views of the whole area you travelled across as you looked back or down or whatever). And again it was targeting 30 fps on home consoles, dipping to 20 on PS3 and presenting other issues on the Xbox 360 and having visible texture streaming and whatever else (so, a lot like WolfII is on Switch actually, but imagine if the Switch had to get a port for a game that was like that on PS4!). It wasn't a flawless 60fps 1080p/4K game like WolfII is for its own era's systems. Justified or not (I think it was more than justified), it really strained the systems of the era so of course Vita got the shorter end of the stick being far weaker. I bet that a Switch port of Rage 2 for a game that seems kinda similar for this era would fare even worse if attempted and probably won't even be attempted for that reason.

6. Saucer

Saucer
    Banned Member

I don't think anyone's shitting on PSP. PSP is only being referenced to show how far we've come.

It's more of a case where PSP was rightfully appreciated graphically for it's time, but with the Switch it's become so close to the console experience with games like Wolfenstein 2, which is undisputably among the best AAA console ports in history, that it's being compared to its console/portable counterparts under such a microscope, that people are actually shitting on it.

I disagree. I think Borderlands 2 was incredibly simplistic graphically even for it's era, but the Vita port was not very good anyway so the point is moot.

7. Dark1x

Dark1x
    Digital Foundry Verafied

Yeah, this argument that "it's cel-shaded thus not imrpessive" is really silly. Should we say that same of Breath of the Wild? Of course not.

Borderlands 2 was definitely a somewhat demanding game for its time with some of the largest maps I can recall in a UE3 shooter. There are some huge areas there and lots of action on-screen.

Just for my own curiosity, how old are you? I'm just wondering if you were around for the PSP launch or not. I feel like that would absolutely distort one's view of it. I'm 36, for the record.

8. TLZ

TLZ

I get the awesomeness of playing this portable, but 360p and very low textures are hardly "impossible". Cmon.

9. Saucer

Saucer
    Banned Member

Old enough to have seen the launch of the Gameboy, much less PSP ;) I've seen it all.

My view of PSP is not distorted btw. It was incredibly impressive for its time of release, my point is simply that relative to the time of it's release, Switch is by far the closest we've come to the true console experience on all levels (graphics, screen, ergonomics, online).

I think an effort like Wolfenstein 2, unarguably one of the greatest, if not the greatest AAA console/portable portable port of all time, should be celebrated as opposed to being dumped on like so many are doing in this thread.

10. Richter1887

Richter1887

But the PSP was already doing what the Switch did back in the 2004 as far "console style experience" go. That doesn't mean Switch isn't impressive because it is.

But it is "impossible". The fact the game runs this well is a miracle.

11. {Marvelous}

{Marvelous}

I think the distinction worth making is the fact that so many effects were preserved even at the lower image quality, like volumetric lighting for example. It's muddy, but they've essentially taken the full game and shrunken it down without compromising in big ways. 360p is also the lower end of the scaler, especially in the context of the docked game, where I can only presume based on the other average resolutions..is rarely seen.

12. brainchild

brainchild

I should've known we were around the same age, since our perspectives seem to be very similar when it comes to the history of video games!

13. Toni Codrea

Toni Codrea
    Member OP

Man I always thought you were 24 by how you look.

14. ~Fake

~Fake

Someone its shiting psp? Maybe NS, but psp...
    I don't think NS its impressive in any means because the smartphones of today looks very impressive unlike those smartphones/mobile in the psp era. Smartphones with 4K, HDR, VR, some games likes Fortnine, PUBG, Vulkan support, last UE4 support... Still trying to get what impressive NS have if you consider the smartphone era in the same timeline.

15. *Guaraná

*Guaraná

the game is 360p fo around 10minutes in a 10 hours game.

What people focus:

16. Wander_

Wander_

>direct feed footage
    "incredible!"
    >digital foundry footage
    "what a mess"

17. brainchild

brainchild

Haha, no I'm an '80s baby through and through. I'll take that as a compliment though!

Some were suggesting that the PSP wasn't as impressive back then as the Switch is now.

And I don't think smartphones are comparable here. It's not just about the graphics, but the full console experience of AAA titles on the go. Smartphones don't have an equivalent to Wolfenstein II on Switch. They just don't.

18. norealmx

norealmx

Got it yesterday. Looks good, plays good, handles good.

Good game (story wise is looking a bit too cliche).

Also:
    Guy from DF: Portable, portable, portable, portable....
    Era: WOST CONSOLE VERSION!

19. Pablo Mesa

Pablo Mesa

is not even the footage, is the Resolution values that people is cherry picking

hell, im sure DF can straight out lie in any video and people will take that value and parade it around cause they can not see that during gameplay

20. horkrux

horkrux

linear games that target 60fps

21. Richter1887

Richter1887

Honestly if I had one complaint about Wolfenstein on Switch it would be that it is TNC that was ported of Wolf2009, Return or TNO.

22. Games on smartphones look horrible compared to Switch games, it's not comparable at all. Fortnite on iPhone X (a 1000$ device) is the closest and yet many effects are turned off that are present in the Switch version

23. ~Fake

~Fake

Of course they are comparable. AAA limits its the companies who choise made the game or no, not the hardware limitation, and almost every battery comparison you see on tech sites/youtube with NS are made vs other smartphones battery. If the same company who made Wolf2 for NS choise to make for Galaxy/Iphone too probably some head here blow. Its just like saying ps4/Xbox/ns are not comparable because CoD just come to Ps4/Xbox. A some years ago people are talking about the impossible way of Nintendo bring games for iPhone/Android... Now we have Fortnine/PUBG (you're saying full console experience, could those games don't be a game for you?). Never say never until you see.
    And still both iphone/galaxy support the lastest UE4 update. And you're saying about effect turned off, most of then are turn off on NS too. Impossible ports/sacrifices remember?

24. SaberX

SaberX

But isn't the side effect of porting? As Jon aways said "sacrifices were made"(take Doom DF retro for instance), so I think any remotion in the game is justificable if we take account that its a port to a plataform that its pratically impossible to port. Hurts the visual or presentation? Thats for sure, but not the reason for porting.

25. brainchild

brainchild

I didn't say it was impossible to bring those games to smartphones, but when people talk about the Switch being impressive, they're talking about a fully realized experience, not a hypothetical one. So until similar games come to smartphones completely with a control interface that's exactly like its console counterparts, the situations will not be comparable at all.

26. ~Fake

~Fake

But will never be comparable to 'you'. Keep that in mind. Most of tech sites already made that comparisons and I think is very fair. And even if some day this happens, you will still don't accept. At this point I have to agree to disagree. Impressive port? Sure, I still think this is a very impressive by this port and can't f#$% wait for Doom Eternal. Impressive piece of hardware? I don't think so. Opinions mate. Just like John opinions. It's not because I'm a fan of John that I have to agree with all that he says.

27. PetrCobra

PetrCobra

I don't have a TV
    I do have a monitor
    Anyway, lots of people don't own a TV, simply because they don't have the room for it or they don't want to watch TV programs. Some people only own a laptop where they watch all their movies and TV series. I imagine for such people the only option to play any game would be the handheld mode.

28. Same for me. And I'll be getting my old parents' TV next year... Which is a 32" 720p LCD. So I'll either be playing on a 25" monitor, or on a 32 inch, 720p TV, or in portable mode. I don't have a use for a PS4 Pro or an XBOX One X.

29. New Fang

New Fang

Let’s be honest here. If that exact same post were edited to say 500p, would you be ok with it?

30. CarthOhNoes

CarthOhNoes

Played the first few hours now. Loving it! I use motion aiming in HH and normal dual sticks when docked as I just can’t get the feel of motion aiming with the pro controller - it feels so natural moving the screen in handheld but docked just feels odd to me!

31. Celine

Celine

Yup.
    I do think PSP is the most impressive handheld ever graphics-wise considering when it was released and what games were available.
    Switch comes in second place (Lynx probably in third place due to sprite scaling games though purely sprites based games weren't as impressive due to the low resolution).
    Seeing Ridge Racer running on PSP in 2004 was nothing short of amazing, especially keeping in mind that PS2 was still the standard for console games at the time since it was the dominant force and the next home console cycle as yet to start (of course there were impressive games on Xbox and Gamecube but the general public had PS2 in mind as a frame of reference).
    I think one difference between PSP and Switch is that the former was released a couple of years before the next home console cycle started up while the latter a couple of years after so PSP was usually compared to PS2 games more than Xbox 360 or PS3.
    Switch on the other hand is getting conversions from XBO/PS4/PC therefore it has that frame of reference.
    Of course it's impossible to directly compare different ages, just think that in 2004 many games were still built using custom engines (renderware was a very successful multiplatform engine but it was "a first" for consoles and the practice wasn't as widespread as today) while nowadays most games are created using multiplatform engines.

32. Slam Tilt

Slam Tilt

Just remember, when the Switch was first announced, a lot of people immediately considered the idea of playing any current-gen shooter on it to be "impossible" as well.

33. Dark1x did you guys install the 8 gb patch before reviewing the game?

34. Niceguydan8

Niceguydan8

If people continue talking about a game that has dynamic resolution as if it had a fixed resolution at the lowest resolution on the spectrum, I will continue to take issue with it no matter what the number is. Its disingenuous.

35. Tron1

Tron1

Here is the reality of this situation. The switch is what it is. For people using common sense it was know games for switch would have to be graphically downgraded in order to run. For those that see that as a big issue I sincerely hope you have a Microsoft or Sony console at home. The portability of the switch is what makes it a game changer. Being able to have a console AAA experience you can play anywhere is huge. I played through doom and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. It was FUN you know the reason I play games. There was no part of the experience where I looked and said wow these graphics suck or this area is too blurry. I’m not denying those things exist but the in no way took away from the experience for me. Now not everyone thinks that way. If You find the sacrifices that are being made on switch ports too much then the console isn’t for you.... or at least make sure you have another more powerful console or pc to suit your needs. I will say this, the pressures is on Nintendo and Nvidia. I do believe Switch is the best scenario for them going forward from a business perspective. They have to bring it with switch 2. They have to find a way to run whatever chips at higher clock speeds for devs to get more out of the console. It was reported Nvidia made almost a billion dollars just off of Switch this last fiscal year. They better have people in the lab along with Nintendo engineers working on how to take what the switch is and make it even better in every way especially from a tech perspective.

36. K' Dash

K' Dash

John: Game went as down as 360p a couple times.
    what people heard: Games has a fixed resolution of 360p.

37. Dark1x

Dark1x
    Digital Foundry Verafied

Yup. There's a reason this video went up after release - we didn't receive it too early.

38. New Fang

New Fang

I also recall an awful lot of talk that because Unreal engine could run on Switch meant it would be getting lots of big third party games....

So talk of 500p being unacceptably low is ok with you?

39. Niceguydan8

Niceguydan8

I thought I made my post really clear but it looks like you have totally missed my point. It's not okay that people misrepresent statements.

I don't care what you or anyone else finds acceptable or unacceptable in terms of resolution. I do care if somebody talks about the game as if it's only in 360p when the video makes it clear that it doesn't happen often in a game with dynamic resolution. Again, its disingenuous and adds nothing productive to the conversation.

40. *Guaraná

*Guaraná

500p on such small screen? pretty much.

btw, I bought the game and I'll start playing it tomorrow during my lunch time while people here keep arguing about resolutions.

41. Nooblet

Nooblet

Both of you have 9 years on me ! :o

42. It's a very impressive port, technically speaking. But I'd never want to experience Wolfenstein II like this. The downgrade in visuals and performance is too big to make it enjoyable for me.

43. Sub Boss

Sub Boss

Maybe i should have said 'gamers' should wait for switch 2 with realistic expectations because switch 1 as it is an impressive handheld but not a PS4/Xbox One portable some developers clearly don't want the trouble of porting their biggest games to the system no matter how much its selling.

And again the cost of the carts will take time for companies to jump in.

Switch clearly will be indie heaven + Nintendo first party + occasional AAA port + occasional exclusive content

44. cgcg

cgcg

Wow looks horrifyingly bad, even on a 5 inch phone screen.

45. Lwill

Lwill

I think the major difference is that the Switch from the beginning has been advertised as a “portable console” which is basically a hybrid console and handheld device. Due to that, it gets the attention from both handheld and console fans. In handheld mode, it has a big screen and the power beyond previous generation consoles with even more modern technology to make things like the Wolfenstein port the way it was done possible. As a console, it has a cool flexible controller that can work as two controllers in some games, and it has an even smaller footprint as a form factor than the Wii. Combine that together, you have one hell of a flexible device.

However, due to its hybrid nature, it has unavoidable sacrifices. It is quite large and more expensive than any recent handheld system , and it not as powerful as any of the other current-gen consoles. The portability of it also results to complications with online use and storage. It is possible for the system to get twice as many criticisms than any other game system. It was important for Nintendo to nail the marketing to avoid it being seen as, “the worse of both worlds” to the mainstream.

46. Magwik

Magwik

Borderlands 2 is just a weirdly optimized game. When I play it today on PC (Ryzen 1600/GTX1080/16GB RAM) shit still has drops even when I lock it to 60 with more of the demanding settings turned off.

47. brainchild

brainchild

If a game of the technical caliber of Wolfenstein II (or even BOTW) becomes available on smartphones with the gameplay experience fully in tact, I will most certainly find it impressive. Until then, I maintain that the situations are not comparable. Not because of my personal opinion, but because the circumstances are literally completely different for smartphones, and if they weren't, we'd be getting those kinds of games on smartphones as well, but we're not.

XD

48. Medalion

Medalion

Luckily the game looks better if indoors and you don't render detailed human faces

I am having fun with that laser weapon in this game

49. Ocean Bones

Ocean Bones

Now that's an impressive port.

50. AndrewDean84

AndrewDean84

Welcome to every single fucking DF thread regarding the Switch.